Hob Nob Legend

Re: Who do we want, then?

by genome » 17 May 2017 23:04

Media saying that apparently Jordan Rhodes refused to take a penalty :shock:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 May 2017 23:05

FWIW betting sites have Huddersfield V Reading, as opposed to the other way around.

We lost our last playoff final in home colours so not that bothered. Let's mix it up.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 17 May 2017 23:13

alfie9
Looks like it's going to be black and yellow for us

Would prefer that to both teams wearing their home shirts. Still can't believe we wore ours when swansea and Bolton wore their white shirts.

Everyone getta hi viz jacket out and let's make it a Sea of luminous yellow.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 May 2017 23:20

Quaner has got the Fabien Defreitas about him - I am worried

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 17 May 2017 23:42

paultheroyal
Top Flight Huddersfield's passing and movement is very good. If we face them they are going to be very dangerous.

I think both Wednesday and Huddersfield are a lot better than Fulham.

Our chance of winning the final is no more than 50/50. These teams are good.

Disagree, Fulham are far better. Little attacking threat from both teams

Totally agree

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 17 May 2017 23:48

WestRoyal
paultheroyal
Top Flight Huddersfield's passing and movement is very good. If we face them they are going to be very dangerous.

I think both Wednesday and Huddersfield are a lot better than Fulham.

Our chance of winning the final is no more than 50/50. These teams are good.

Disagree, Fulham are far better. Little attacking threat from both teams

Totally agree

Agree too. We have in theory beaten the best team out of Fulham/SW/Hudd

Of course anything can happen and as others have said we need to be on top form

We have in the past excelled in the biggest of big games. Such as our performance in the Arsenal game when we played our skin (ignoring the end result there)

When I think about the final I am really nervous. But then I think I completely trust Jaap Stam. He seems to have the players full attention. He's controlling things masterfully.

He's played in the biggest games in football and the experience is showing through.

12 days for him to work with the team and prepare.

90 mins* away from the big time again

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 May 2017 23:55

Well if we lose again then Wembley is officially our jinx ground. 5th visit and just the Simod cup a zillion years ago.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 18 May 2017 00:04

Is anyone else already nervous?

It's been bad enough in the run up to Fulham away/home. Now I've got 12 days of waiting to do

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 May 2017 08:14

Scutterbucketz
alfie9
Looks like it's going to be black and yellow for us

Would prefer that to both teams wearing their home shirts. Still can't believe we wore ours when swansea and Bolton wore their white shirts.

Everyone getta hi viz jacket out and let's make it a Sea of luminous yellow.

The only time we have won a showpiece final we were in our yellow change strip. If we are to play in yellow again at Wembley then hopefully that is another omen.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 May 2017 08:16

bobby1413 Is anyone else already nervous?

It's been bad enough in the run up to Fulham away/home. Now I've got 12 days of waiting to do

I'm nervous. I genuinely feel Huddersfield are the best team in the playoffs. Better than Wednesday and Fulham. The reason their results nose dived at the end was because Wagner started to experiment and rest players after securing their playoff position early.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 May 2017 08:32

To be fair TF, their form nosedived before they were definitely in - after they beat us 1-0 they only took 17pts from 14 games (we took 25 over the same period) - yes you have to factor in changes but form can be hard to turn back on.

Games have been very tight between us, our win was a tough one even though they were down to 10 for an hour and they had to work hard for their win. IIRC we had a decent penalty shout at 0-0 turned down.

Really hard to call it - think the pitch at Wembley will suit both teams and can see it being a nervy 1-0 either way.

Didn't think either team yesterday had much of an attacking threat, Huddersfield's equaliser being an OG but one off games are hard to call. Hoping we can get on the front foot, get an early goal and settle in to controlling the game as we know we can.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 May 2017 08:45

Stranded To be fair TF, their form nosedived before they were definitely in - after they beat us 1-0 they only took 17pts from 14 games (we took 25 over the same period) - yes you have to factor in changes but form can be hard to turn back on.

Games have been very tight between us, our win was a tough one even though they were down to 10 for an hour and they had to work hard for their win. IIRC we had a decent penalty shout at 0-0 turned down.

Really hard to call it - think the pitch at Wembley will suit both teams and can see it being a nervy 1-0 either way.

Didn't think either team yesterday had much of an attacking threat, Huddersfield's equaliser being an OG but one off games are hard to call. Hoping we can get on the front foot, get an early goal and settle in to controlling the game as we know we can.

Surprised by Sheffield Wednesday's lack of urgency (or belief) last night and really don't know if it would be better to have played them and all their "star" power and threat or a Huddersfield side that, like Reading, is very quiet, largely unknown but packed full of the same team ethic and hard work.

Let's hope this doesn't run to play off form though. Huddersfield have been in four previous play off finals and won three of them. In fact they've won every play off final that they've played at either Wembley or the Millennium Stadium. Compare that to Reading's 100% record of complete and utter misery in play off finals.

This one is going to be much harder than Fulham but whatever happens I hope it doesn't go down to a penalty shoot out.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 18 May 2017 10:39

Sutekh
Stranded To be fair TF, their form nosedived before they were definitely in - after they beat us 1-0 they only took 17pts from 14 games (we took 25 over the same period) - yes you have to factor in changes but form can be hard to turn back on.

Surprised by Sheffield Wednesday's lack of urgency (or belief) last night and really don't know if it would be better to have played them and all their "star" power and threat or a Huddersfield side that, like Reading, is very quiet, largely unknown but packed full of the same team ethic and hard work.

Let's hope this doesn't run to play off form though. Huddersfield have been in four previous play off finals and won three of them. In fact they've won every play off final that they've played at either Wembley or the Millennium Stadium. Compare that to Reading's 100% record of complete and utter misery in play off finals.

This one is going to be much harder than Fulham but whatever happens I hope it doesn't go down to a penalty shoot out.

Well just bring on Jaakola if it comes to that.
Anybody else notice the commentator for the Hudd-Wed game mentioned a few times that Westwood was arguably the best keeper in the Championship? I know hes had a good season but does that not seem a stretch? No mention of Al-Habsi (statistically the best keeper this season) being a quality keeper during our match.

Kuhl_Runnings

by Kuhl_Runnings » 18 May 2017 11:03

To say im not nervous would be a lie but at this point I fear no one. This is the perfect final - the two teams who have been great all season but the media hasnt sucked off and I won't be absolutely devasted if we lose to Huddersfield who are a nice bunch of fans and a new team to the BPL, unlikeif we lost to the entitled bells that are Sheff Wed.

Expecting a great final, let's beat these Tesco bags!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 18 May 2017 11:26

Home kit it is then.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 18 May 2017 11:39

With Huddersfield getting through It'll make for a more pleasant day imo. Sheffield Wed have more 'lads' innit.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 18 May 2017 11:45

NewCorkSeth Anybody else notice the commentator for the Hudd-Wed game mentioned a few times that Westwood was arguably the best keeper in the Championship? I know hes had a good season but does that not seem a stretch? No mention of Al-Habsi (statistically the best keeper this season) being a quality keeper during our match.

it's just something to say after a good save is made. The vast majority of people watching football on TV are not fans of the clubs involved and are hugely uninformed about those kind of details. For the 10% that WTF at the telly when they say that kind of thing they have 90% going 'hmm interesting, I will have to look out for him next season' etc and they take it on board as fact.

file it alongside the other completely irrelevant things in football

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 18 May 2017 11:51

No Fixed Abode Huddersfield. So Ryan Dearnley can have his revenge when they beat you.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hu ... ot-6243633

Who wants some? Do you want some?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 May 2017 12:20

maffff Home kit it is then.

Nice

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 18 May 2017 12:23

Winston Biscuit
NewCorkSeth Anybody else notice the commentator for the Hudd-Wed game mentioned a few times that Westwood was arguably the best keeper in the Championship? I know hes had a good season but does that not seem a stretch? No mention of Al-Habsi (statistically the best keeper this season) being a quality keeper during our match.

it's just something to say after a good save is made. The vast majority of people watching football on TV are not fans of the clubs involved and are hugely uninformed about those kind of details. For the 10% that WTF at the telly when they say that kind of thing they have 90% going 'hmm interesting, I will have to look out for him next season' etc and they take it on board as fact.

file it alongside the other completely irrelevant things in football

File it under "that's what he's got in his locker"

...hang on m8, you're talking about HRKanu.

It's a one-off thing, you're trying to appear knowledgeable etc

164 posts