Where does Jaap Stand ?

20 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Where does Jaap Stand ?

by Nameless » 19 May 2017 16:31

Less than a year in the job, a struggling and dysfunctional team transformed, confusion off the pitch put out of mind. He's developed a clear playing style but added tactical variation, he's made excellent signings, made us unbeatable at home, given the team real backbone, claimed a (false) third and taken us to Wembley.

So where does that put Jaap in the list of Reading greats ?

He's not got us promoted yet, or managed in the Prem. He's not won a trophy. But he's not got us relegated either ! We've had some horrific defeats, but some great wins.
So is he above or below Brian ? Tactically he's better...
What about Coppell ?
McGhee ?

Is his ranking entirely dependent on what happens on the 29th ?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Where does Jaap Stand ?

by genome » 19 May 2017 16:34

In the technical area, usually

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 19 May 2017 16:35

Coppell
McD
Pardew
Bullivant
McGhee
Stam

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 19 May 2017 16:48

Coppell
McD
Pardew
McGhee
Evans
Branfoot
Stam
Hurley

Best managers in my era, which starts around '74. Bet I've forgotten at least one! Win on the 29th and Stam would rise to 3rd - possibly 2nd.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 May 2017 16:48

Depends a lot on if we get up, and whether he hangs around.

The job he has done so far has been nothing short of magnificent. We have improved considerably in every area of the pitch. Was just thinking the other day how much we have learnt from those breakaway goals we kept conceeding against the likes of Preston, and how the players are so much more aware of that now, and willing to take the yellow card etc.

Considering this is his first managerial job, his tactical awareness is superb. I do wonder how much input there is for his assistants mind you - but he is very clearly the figurehead

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 May 2017 21:08

Hound Depends a lot on if we get up, and whether he hangs around.

The job he has done so far has been nothing short of magnificent. We have improved considerably in every area of the pitch. Was just thinking the other day how much we have learnt from those breakaway goals we kept conceeding against the likes of Preston, and how the players are so much more aware of that now, and willing to take the yellow card etc.

Considering this is his first managerial job, his tactical awareness is superb. I do wonder how much input there is for his assistants mind you - but he is very clearly the figurehead

Stam is on course to become the greatest ever. But first he has to get us up and then he needs to keep us up for at least 2 consecutive seasons. Then he will be the greatest.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 19 May 2017 21:30

He just doesn't fukk up twice in a row: we lose 7-1 one week and win the next; we seem like Fulham's rabbit then beat them twice in the next three games; etc. I really rate him as a thinker about football and feel sure that he has performed miracles this year with a team of nobodies.

Managers since Charlie Hurley can be ranked thus:
Coppell
Pardew
Brian
Jaap
McGhee

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 19 May 2017 21:34

There's no way Stam will be with us if he gets us promoted and keeps us there for a year. He would be top of a lot of managerial lists and rightly so. And out of contract with us.

And if he does move on to a bigger team I hope our fans don't go full retard when we meet again in the future.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 19 May 2017 21:36

Jack Celliers He just doesn't fukk up twice in a row: we lose 7-1 one week and win the next; we seem like Fulham's rabbit then beat them twice in the next three games; etc. I really rate him as a thinker about football and feel sure that he has performed miracles this year with a team of nobodies.

Coppell
Pardew
Brian
Jaap
McGhee

By what criteria is pardew ahead of McD?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 19 May 2017 21:51

When is Coppell getting a bloody statue? I'm being serious.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 May 2017 21:53

Pards turned PANTS inside out?

It was all upskirt after the 2-2 (v Wrexham wasn't it?)....and Pards has done a few since

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 May 2017 23:47

Stam's done incredibly well but can't be mentioned among names like Coppell, Pardew and McDermott yet.

I'm not sure where to put Pardew - on the one hand I feel like he (along with the stadium move) began the upwards curve that RFC have been on since the 90s. He and Martin Allen really imbued both the team and the fans with a sense of unity and optimism that eventually got us promoted and thence to the Championship play-offs. However, he was very well backed from a League One perspective. Promotion from that league was expected given the quality in the squad and we probably should have made it a season sooner than we did.

And boy did we play some cracking football under McGhee. What a team he put together there, second only to the 106 team in terms of being a pleasure to watch.

Hmm;

Coppell
McDermott
Pards
McGhee
Stam

but i'm open to arguments (unless you mention Bullivant, Clarke or Adkins)

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 May 2017 00:05

Where Stam stands apart from the others is that he has taken a disorganised rabble of a team, implemented a completely new style of play and got us to within 1 game of the Premiership in 1 season. It took McGhee and Coppell 3 years, Pardew 2 years from a level below and our spending power was significant compared to the rest of the league, and Branfoot inherited a winning team.

Personally, I think it's

Coppell
McDermott
McGhee
Pardew
Stam

..but he's ahead of schedule.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 May 2017 08:25

Scutterbucketz There's no way Stam will be with us if he gets us promoted and keeps us there for a year. He would be top of a lot of managerial lists and rightly so. And out of contract with us.

And if he does move on to a bigger team I hope our fans don't go full retard when we meet again in the future.

There will be a big new contract on the table right now.
With a juicy buy out clause in it.
Wouldn't begrudge him a move if this time next season we're celebrating a top Half PL finish. Just hope it is to a bigger club rather than West Ham or Arsenal...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 May 2017 08:39

Coppell
McDermott
Pardew
McGhee
Stam

Stam ready to leap frog into second or third. McGhee and Pards are hard to place. I have to put McGhee as low as possible just because of how much of a tosser he is.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 20 May 2017 08:49

For me it's

Coppell
McGhee
Pardew
McDermott
Stam

Coppell obviously needs no explaining. McGhee to me was the first manager that got us thinking that Reading in the top flight was something even worth dreaming about, Pardew rescued this club from what could have been another 20 years in the doldrums (people forget how hard it was to get out of the third tier), McDermott's initial achievements were sullied by his later ineptitude - but he did get promoted to the Prem. If we win the final this year then Stam will leapfrog him.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 20 May 2017 09:11

Can anyone not putting McDermott second please leave the thread immediately :D

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 20 May 2017 09:33

Scutterbucketz
Jack Celliers He just doesn't fukk up twice in a row: we lose 7-1 one week and win the next; we seem like Fulham's rabbit then beat them twice in the next three games; etc. I really rate him as a thinker about football and feel sure that he has performed miracles this year with a team of nobodies.

Coppell
Pardew
Brian
Jaap
McGhee

By what criteria is pardew ahead of McD?

He never came back.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 20 May 2017 10:47

That's just silly.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 23 May 2017 18:58

Good debate....all about opinions and memories

Coppell
McGhee
Jaap
McD
Pardew

In mitigation Coppell took us to the highest level in style and McGhee changed the football club from nothing to the start of where we are today IMHO.

Jaap has been wonderful, such presence and charisma, but we all know he won't be here long what ever happens Monday and anybody who thinks different are in cloud cuckoo land.

20 posts   •   Page 1 of 1