Stay off the pitch!

Steve_Upper_West

Re: Stay off the pitch!

by Steve_Upper_West » 20 May 2017 23:37

AthleticoSpizz
Again, Tuesday night at the M'stad was embarressing......men and boys copycatting on the pitch celebrating nothing much in particular

+1

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 21 May 2017 07:45

PistolPete
AthleticoSpizz It's not fine

(On the VERY OFF CHANCE that we win) do you want to see beered up blokes and their sheep-like followers waving their bellies and shirts at you....or the players doing a well-deserved lap of honour?

You're in the 'not fine' camp, which is fine. What I want to know is why the seem to be two rules in some peoples eyes?

Then I'm not sure anyone will be able to explain it for you to be honest.

I think it's one of those things that you either "get" or you don't. If you don't immediately understand why running onto the pitch at Wembley is not ok, then I don't think you ever will understand.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 21 May 2017 07:50

I didn't mind Tuesday's pitch invasion too much although I would have preferred it not to happen - I wanted to just watch the players celebrate on the pitch and spend time sharing it with the fans.

Rather than tons of fans flocking on and then players disappeared immediately.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 21 May 2017 08:39

Nameless
bobby1413 Horrible horrible club. Imagine supporting them? It makes me really value what Reading are all about. They really are the wrong end of the scale.

Chelsea, West Ham, Leeds, Cardiff are all far far better clubs than them

That's unfair on Millwall. As a club they are great, significant number of idiot fans though. Hard to find a worse club than Leeds IMHO although there's a lot not to like about Chelsea.

Agreed completely. I used to live 10 mins from Millwall and went there loads of times as a neutral. Fantastic club, idiot-minority of fans.

Getting an away trip there is a small consolation if we lose next week.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 21 May 2017 09:04

Steve_Upper_West
AthleticoSpizz
Again, Tuesday night at the M'stad was embarressing......men and boys copycatting on the pitch celebrating nothing much in particular

+1

I agree and I felt exactly the same after the Bradford cup win.....I remained in my seat (front row in the lower West 8) ) and got called a 'boring tw*t' by several people I didn't know who were lumbering over the advertising hoardings.......

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 May 2017 09:09

bobby1413 I didn't mind Tuesday's pitch invasion too much although I would have preferred it not to happen - I wanted to just watch the players celebrate on the pitch and spend time sharing it with the fans.

Yeah this exactly

I found it a shame that the players all had to bomb off and we were stuck in the stands slowly filtering out. The atmosphere changed as well where the players should have been able to come to each stand and get the appreciation from the majority of the fans

Stark contrast to how Huddersfield / Blackpool were able to spend time with the fans at the end of the game

Not the end of the world but was a very small bit annoyed

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 21 May 2017 10:10

PistolPete Can someone tell me how running on the pitch at the Madejski is fine, but running on the pitch at wembley isn't?

How does it ruin the day for Morrison but not say, Danny Williams?

It's either fine, or it's not. Frankly, if there was a exception, surely it would be allowed at the game where you actually win something? :|

Perhaps he was more upset by the Milwall 'fans' offering up to the Bradford players and trying to fight their management rather than the pitch invasion as such.

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 21 May 2017 10:23

PistolPete Can someone tell me how running on the pitch at the Madejski is fine, but running on the pitch at wembley isn't?

It's either fine, or it's not. Frankly, if there was a exception, surely it would be allowed at the game where you actually win something? :|

MASSIVE 'GREED

I will be very disappointed if I don't witness you lot running on the pitch next week! We are going to do it, FINALLY win at Wembly....return to the Prem (shrug)- a HUGE result for a team I adore.....and if Wembley charge silly amounts to go watch a single game, then they should suck it up and recognise that fans are going to be a bit daft afterwards.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 21 May 2017 10:25

Royal Ginger

Perhaps he was more upset by the Milwall 'fans' offering up to the Bradford players and trying to fight their management rather than the pitch invasion as such.

His interview with sky sports about an hour later makes more sense. It was post match, post shower and stadium empty.

He basically said that rather than the headlines and talk being about the amazing result and achievement. It's now all about the pitch invasion.

It meant rather than players enjoying the occasion and applauding fans they had to be ushered off.

I don't get why people are confused about why this is just not the same as invasion of a pitch at a "normal" ground.

I thought it was just an unimaginable thing to do, an unwritten rule and almost not worth discussion as it would never happen (until yesterday).

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 May 2017 16:10

Sadly, a lot of our younger monkey-see-monkey-do bellends will have seen it and decided they should copy,... so if we win I think there's a pretty decent chance we'll follow suit in classless imitation.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 21 May 2017 17:36

Top Flight Trust Millwall to be the first club's fans to invade the Wembley pitch.

I think you will find that West Ham did it first in 1923, and they tried it again in 1975 but the Stewards nipped it in the bud
the second time.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 May 2017 17:49

......following the match and nob-end pitch invasion........I just hope that the MS pitch is playable for LI's play-off game this Wednesday....hi Paul :lol:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 May 2017 20:34

oldebiscuit
Top Flight Trust Millwall to be the first club's fans to invade the Wembley pitch.

I think you will find that West Ham did it first in 1923, and they tried it again in 1975 but the Stewards nipped it in the bud
the second time.

I meant the new wembley.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 May 2017 22:15

It's really quite simple.

It's ok to go on your pitch (i.e. Madejski) if we win something.

It's really not on to go onto someone else's pitch (e.g. Wembley)

That's it.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 21 May 2017 22:34

leon It's really quite simple.

That's it.

Would you say then that Pompey fans were wrong when they were promoted away and 4000 travelling fans went on the pitch?

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 21 May 2017 22:50

bobby1413
leon It's really quite simple.

That's it.

Would you say then that Pompey fans were wrong when they were promoted away and 4000 travelling fans went on the pitch?

Yep.
We didn't go on the pitch at Leicester and, in my view, got a lot more out of the party than if we had done.

anR

by anR » 21 May 2017 22:55

Pitch invasions are so utterly pointless. I remember getting on the pitch after the 05/06 Derby game, then thinking... "What am I doing here?" Then I awkwardly mootched about until leaving the stadium about five minutes later. The thing was, then we still had over a month of games to be played there, and all of a sudden there are hundreds of people on the turf. We moan about the rugby? At least when Chelsea did it last night they had no more games at all for the season...

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 21 May 2017 23:04

Agree with Leon, Horsham royal and AnR.

Funnily enough Anr I made the same comments to a colleague who asked "did you go on the pitch?"

I said no as I did in 05/06 and within about 10 seconds I also thought "mmmmmm ok, this is just a grassy rectangle now full of other fans and no players". (Slight exception was it was great to have all the players up in the owners area celebrating).

But yea I saw pics of fans on the pitch posing. Just pointless.

As I said before I was a bit disappointed to not be able to see the players going nuts and massively celebrating with the fans. Another lap of honour and a really great send off to Wembley.

I bet on some level the players went down to the changing room celebrating also feeling that they wanted to show some appreciatio... rather than post messages on twitter as some did.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 22 May 2017 12:18

Hound
bobby1413 I didn't mind Tuesday's pitch invasion too much although I would have preferred it not to happen - I wanted to just watch the players celebrate on the pitch and spend time sharing it with the fans.

Yeah this exactly

I found it a shame that the players all had to bomb off and we were stuck in the stands slowly filtering out. The atmosphere changed as well where the players should have been able to come to each stand and get the appreciation from the majority of the fans

Stark contrast to how Huddersfield / Blackpool were able to spend time with the fans at the end of the game

Not the end of the world but was a very small bit annoyed

+1 to this. It put a bit of a dampener on the evening after the game having no players to celebrate with and us in the stands with a half empty ground just hanging around to see if anything might happen.

wiggso

by wiggso » 22 May 2017 13:02

I haven't been on the pitch at the Madejski, went on in '94 and '95 when i was young and it was the 1st time i had experienced anything like that. Wouldn't go on now but wouldn't chastise anyone for hopping over and celebrating with the players, Kermorgant was having a whale of a time with the fans.
What i really dont like about the whole pitch invasion thing are the do-or-die stewards destroying one person when there are hundreds already on the pitch. Saw some guy with a beige bad getting a kicking, agreed the bag was offensive but he didnt deserve that.

I also think with the whole Wembley thing is that you should show a bit more respect, not only to the ground but to the away fans. This isnt home, this is somewhere where the fans are 50/50. its a much bigger security risk to deal with. agree with the OP, stay off this time.