May the best team win!

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

Re: May the best team win!

by handbags_harris » 21 May 2017 22:50

In the build-up to Wembley 2011, I had totally convinced myself I wasn't that fussed about winning as I wasn't all that taken with the whole Premier League experience, the result being that I wouldn't be all that disappointed if we lost as it was all new to Swansea following their gradual and "moral" rise up the divisions regardless of Brendan Rodgers. And then half time occurred, and we're 3-0 down. I'm not subjecting myself to that nonsensical level of conscience again, so while I'll be gracious in defeat and pass congratulations if we're on the wrong side of the scoreline, I'll still be f*cking gutted. It's a wonderful story with them in the final, they have a project that the whole town is buying into and you rarely, if ever, read or hear of any dissenting voices from their supporters, but I don't want Huddersfield to win under any circumstances. I won't feel happy if they win, I sincerely hope we deny them the ending to the season everybody wants, putting a spanner up their cracks like we've done on so many occasions this season.

The funny thing is, when you know a supporter of another club and you're playing each other, the usual charade is to part on "enjoy the game, but not much" as you go your separate ways on entering the ground. If I knew Terrier83, I'd genuinely part on "I hope we stuff you" terms. And I know in everybody's hearts they feel the same way.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 May 2017 23:09

handbags_harris In the build-up to Wembley 2011, I had totally convinced myself I wasn't that fussed about winning as I wasn't all that taken with the whole Premier League experience, the result being that I wouldn't be all that disappointed if we lost as it was all new to Swansea following their gradual and "moral" rise up the divisions regardless of Brendan Rodgers. And then half time occurred, and we're 3-0 down. I'm not subjecting myself to that nonsensical level of conscience again, so while I'll be gracious in defeat and pass congratulations if we're on the wrong side of the scoreline, I'll still be f*cking gutted. It's a wonderful story with them in the final, they have a project that the whole town is buying into and you rarely, if ever, read or hear of any dissenting voices from their supporters, but I don't want Huddersfield to win under any circumstances. I won't feel happy if they win, I sincerely hope we deny them the ending to the season everybody wants, putting a spanner up their cracks like we've done on so many occasions this season.

The funny thing is, when you know a supporter of another club and you're playing each other, the usual charade is to part on "enjoy the game, but not much" as you go your separate ways on entering the ground. If I knew Terrier83, I'd genuinely part on "I hope we stuff you" terms. And I know in everybody's hearts they feel the same way.

I fully expected Swansea to win that one. It was still gut wrenching to see us get torn apart early on and then get so close to an equaliser. I still wanted to win. It still hurt when we didn't.

Losing at Wembley in a PO Final is never an ok experience. It always hurts. But I can't think of many teams I'd rather have beat us if we have to lose.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 21 May 2017 23:18

We have never won a play off final. They have never lost one. They are better than us. Wells always scores against us he hasn't this season, he must be due? There will only be one winner it won't be us. After watching Hull be humiliated at home today if that's what we have to look forward to then good luck to Huddersfield.

hiro

by hiro » 22 May 2017 04:46

If Huddersfield is promoted, I will support them in upcoming Premiership season.
I hope them to survive the first season when we have achieved 8th finish in the first voyage.

Fnd_hudds

by Fnd_hudds » 22 May 2017 08:19

Jackson Corner We have never won a play off final. They have never lost one. They are better than us. Wells always scores against us he hasn't this season, he must be due? There will only be one winner it won't be us. After watching Hull be humiliated at home today if that's what we have to look forward to then good luck to Huddersfield.

If only that were true. Ask any Town fan about Old Trafford or Peterborough and you'll be met with a 1,000 yard stare. That was the year that we were told to "believe", and ended up losing 3-0, with a certain Jordan Rhodes left on the bench by Lee Clark. We've come a long way since then...

Echo that what's been said already. You lot are alright, and while it will be a bump in the road for us to win next week, the general momentum will still be there...assuming we keep Wagner (and, realistically, he's still very unproven and learning - would be mad for him to leave), we now have the foundations of a good team. It'd hurt to lose, but rather you than The Massive or Leeds, that's for sure.

To be honest, it's just nice to be playing you in a one-off game that isn't the 3rd round of the FA cup.

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 22 May 2017 14:06

I couldn't give a flying fuck about getting into the Hairband League. It's a crock of Sky'd-up shite.

So a play-off final for me is an exciting end to a season. If we win, I'm happy. If we lose, it's something I've become accustomed to experiencing before and I have trained my inner-workings to deal with it and 'move on' as modern day bed-wetter parlance has it.

I understand younger fans and their wish to see their team in the top tier - I was just as delighted to do the same not so long ago. It was amazing and something I'd not thought I'd ever see at 'little' Reading.

Just as I understand Huddersfield fans' wish for that to happen too. (They don't have that 'back where we belong' bullshit attitude that many of the old rustbelt clubs fans have whose teams have long fallen from grace.)

So yeah, from a terrace dinosaur - I echo the sentiments of the OP.

Let's have no 'taking out onion' on the day - that's all I ask.

People who cry at football need a quick slap around the legs.

Bon chance all!

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 22 May 2017 14:51

it's just nice to be playing you in a one-off game that isn't the 3rd round of the FA cup.

amen to that