BFTG - Wembley

153 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Wembley

by Sutekh » 29 May 2017 21:54

tmesis
Sutekh I've said for 30 years plus that penalties is a stupid way to decide any game, largely falling down to complete luck and next to no skill.

Then you've been wrong for 30 years then.

There is luck involved, but a good penalty is one that'll go in even if the keeper goes the right way. That is entirely about skill.

Mind you, I do agree no play-off final should go to penalties. If it's level after 120 minutes, the highest placed team should win.

Now that actually is a good idea - would force one side to at least throw everything they have into getting a goal and would have made for a better game as a result. At least we'd have lost then to a clearly better team rather than one that might have looked more of a threat but couldn't actually score in a brothel.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 29 May 2017 21:54

Why oh why, after 46 games, and 180 hard fought minutes in the play off - would Stam set his team up like that, seemingly playing for pens (alongside some abject performances on the pitch). Can't really fathom it. Well played Williams who was immense today, but on the day we didn't deserve it. Neither did we look like we wanted it.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 29 May 2017 21:57

oldebiscuit I don't think some of you lot understand this game of football. Both teams play a similar style with the only difference being that we play it around at the back and Huddersfield play it at the front, so it was always going to be tight and there was never going to be many, if any goals. The reason Huddersfield had a few chances is because they are a GOOD TEAM. They didn't happen to just stumble into the playoffs, they actually earned it.
If you guys want perfection then you had best fcuk off to Stamford Bridge where it is probably as good as it gets.
Now we have just had a season which surpassed all expectations and ended up at Wembley. Hopefully it can be carried into next season, and i for one think that it will.
Yes, it was disappointing, but please, please, please, all you whingers, get a grip.

:lol: Bore off mate, fully entitled to be find it frustrating watching the 3rd place team fail to have a proper shot at goal in 120 min of football.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 29 May 2017 22:00

moo The real highlights were being told to sit down every 10 seconds from daytrippers.. in the singing section.

The 'singing section' was a real fúcking joke. Too many Thermos clutching day-trip mongs interspersed with pricks in Stone Island who were there to be seen and not heard.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 May 2017 22:02

Was feeling pretty zen about the match until I got to the ground - then nerves. And to lose it like that, I'm properly gutted. I won't blame Moore or Obita - penalties are a lottery. Heartbreaking to lose it after having the advantage though.

We didn't deserve anything from the match, Huddersfield were the better side on the day - more enterprising, more dangerous. We were incredibly static. You need movement off the ball when you play a possession game - it was just too easy for the Terriers. Can't really get my head round it.

Danny Williams was superb. I would love him to stay, but I can't see it.

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 29 May 2017 22:04

The possession was there and we contained their skillful best, but playing the best really stretches our forward line too far.

Very disappointed that after the superb effort for the Fulham games, the fans didn't put their shift in either. Teenager next to me didn't clap once, let alone sing, 2 old boys in front didn't even stand up on 22 mins when everyone else around them did. You could put it down to daytrippers, you could also put it down to the early noise that Udders made with the flappy clackers. Maybe the club need to take a look at how they generate that singing fan base.

Still, great day out and look on the bright side, the Chump is the best league!

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 29 May 2017 22:05

genome Was feeling pretty zen about the match until I got to the ground - then nerves. And to lose it like that, I'm properly gutted. I won't blame Moore or Obita - penalties are a lottery. Heartbreaking to lose it after having the advantage though.

We didn't deserve anything from the match, Huddersfield were the better side on the day - more enterprising, more dangerous. We were incredibly static. You need movement off the ball when you play a possession game - it was just too easy for the Terriers. Can't really get my head round it.

Danny Williams was superb. I would love him to stay, but I can't see it.

^^^ and that's why the English will always be sh*t at panelties

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 May 2017 22:06

Gutted. I thought we were immense. We took it to the wire. This group of players massively overachieved thanks to Stam.

We do need better players if we want auto next year.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 29 May 2017 22:07

Stevie G Maybe the club need to take a look at how they generate that singing fan base.

They should start by telling the stewards to wind their fúcking necks in.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 29 May 2017 22:09

Cureton's Volley
Stevie G Maybe the club need to take a look at how they generate that singing fan base.

They should start by telling the stewards to wind their fúcking necks in.

+1

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 May 2017 22:11

This season exceeded all expectations. Thanks Jaap. Good foundations in place for next. The summer transfer is going to be extremely important. As whoever comes on board has to have pace. Totally lacking today until Gareth came on.

Only 24 days until next seasons fixture list is published!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 May 2017 22:11

Top Flight Gutted. I thought we were immense.

Lol

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 29 May 2017 22:12

All the shít slinging aside, I'm proud of the team, and the club for their effort this season.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 29 May 2017 22:14

So called richest game in world football and we produce a pathetic performance like that mustering one shot on target over 120 minutes.....then given a gods gift by going 3-1 up in the penalty shoot out we fcuk it up.....only Reading ....we got what we deserved ....nothing . I'm not even gutted anymore just fed up with another massive disappointment .
Last edited by Gunny Fishcake on 29 May 2017 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 29 May 2017 22:15

Cureton's Volley All the shít slinging aside, I'm proud of the team, and the club for their effort this season.

Indeed.

Although we played beneath ourselves today, we have overachieved over the course of the season.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 May 2017 22:15

genome

Lol

We were immense. We did the best we could within the constraints of what the players are capable of.

Stam took it as far as possible. We need some better players now so we can push on again. The good news is that we have billionaire owners so hopefully, St. Can take us up another level.

secks

by secks » 29 May 2017 22:16

Cureton's Volley
moo The real highlights were being told to sit down every 10 seconds from daytrippers.. in the singing section.

The 'singing section' was a real fúcking joke. Too many Thermos clutching day-trip mongs interspersed with pricks in Stone Island who were there to be seen and not heard.

We were in 114 near the front and it was like a morgue. Any attempt at the 3 of us singing was met with strange looks from those around us. I swear they'd moved the west stand to our block!

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 29 May 2017 22:17

Top Flight
genome

Lol

We were immense. We did the best we could within the constraints of what the players are capable of.

Stam took it as far as possible. We need some better players now so we can push on again. The good news is that we have billionaire owners so hopefully, St. Can take us up another level.

Credit for the glass-half-full outlook and all, but claiming we were "immense" is just silly.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 May 2017 22:18

Top Flight
genome

Lol

Williams was immense - but the team - pull the other one.

You're right about the squad needing improvement though. Defensively we have a decent basis, but we're sorely lacking some pace out on the wings.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 29 May 2017 22:19

genome

Lol

Indeed, immensely rubbish today

153 posts