Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Wembley

by Top Flight » 29 May 2017 22:22

genome
Top Flight
genome
Lol

We were immense. We did the best we could within the constraints of what the players are capable of.

Stam took it as far as possible. We need some better players now so we can push on again. The good news is that we have billionaire owners so hopefully, St. Can take us up another level.

Williams was immense - but the team - pull the other one.

You're right about the squad needing improvement though. Defensively we have a decent basis, but we're sorely lacking some pace out on the wings.

Exactly. So we agree that this team is limited in their capabilities. So on that basis we were immense to take a strong side to the wire.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 29 May 2017 22:23

Disappointing, not because we lost but because after all that has been achieved this season there was a palpable sense of not really going for it. Both teams set up very cautiously, and I think with hindsight ours will wish they had thrown a bit more at the second half and ET. Yes, Huddersfield kept a lot behind the ball, and were hard to break down, but that meant we needed someone to go at them and take a chance. Only Williams seemed to be doing that, and even he seemed to be under instructions (until quite late on) to check his runs forward once he was in the opposition half.
I was left feeling that we put a lot of attacking power on the bench, not enough on the pitch.
Penalties are basically a coin-toss, so I actually don't feel too bad about that. Just wish we'd given it a go a bit more before then.
Also, Huddersfield fans were way louder and livelier than ours. Surprised me after the emotion and noise of the Fulham game.
Ah well, the season's been so much better that expected. Let's keep behind this team, because it has the makings.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 May 2017 22:25

I have to hold my hands up Elm Park. I wasn't as loud as I should have been. I let us down today. I wasn't as immense as our players. :oops:

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 29 May 2017 22:26

Elm Park Old Boy Disappointing, not because we lost but because after all that has been achieved this season there was a palpable sense of not really going for it. Both teams set up very cautiously, and I think with hindsight ours will wish they had thrown a bit more at the second half and ET. Yes, Huddersfield kept a lot behind the ball, and were hard to break down, but that meant we needed someone to go at them and take a chance. Only Williams seemed to be doing that, and even he seemed to be under instructions (until quite late on) to check his runs forward once he was in the opposition half.
I was left feeling that we put a lot of attacking power on the bench, not enough on the pitch.
Penalties are basically a coin-toss, so I actually don't feel too bad about that. Just wish we'd given it a go a bit more before then.
Also, Huddersfield fans were way louder and livelier than ours. Surprised me after the emotion and noise of the Fulham game.
Ah well, the season's been so much better that expected. Let's keep behind this team, because it has the makings.

Grrrr :evil:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 May 2017 22:39

Top Flight I thought we were immense. We took it to the wire. This group of players massively overachieved.

We had a great season, but I don't think we were 'immense' on the day (which is what this thread is about, today, not the season as a whole). If we had won 3-0 today that would be immense.
I think a few players, and even Stam himself, may be disappointed with their performances today. Reckon we caught HT on an off day, too.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 May 2017 22:42

Jeez Top Flight, you talk some shite but tonight you're surpassing yourself.

Today I saw 1 player put in an immense performance, 3 or 4 put in adequate performances, maybe 3 or 4 put in mediocre performances and 2 or 3 put in dreadful performances.

Add that together and it does not equal immense.

If we'd held Chelsea or Spurs to 0-0 over 120 minutes then maybe but this was Huddersfield, and I mean no disrespect to them in saying that.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 May 2017 22:50

BTW... how calm was Steve?!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 May 2017 22:54

From Despair To Where? Jeez Top Flight, you talk some shite but tonight you're surpassing yourself.

Today I saw 1 player put in an immense performance, 3 or 4 put in adequate performances, maybe 3 or 4 put in mediocre performances and 2 or 3 put in dreadful performances.

Add that together and it does not equal immense.

If we'd held Chelsea or Spurs to 0-0 over 120 minutes then maybe but this was Huddersfield, and I mean no disrespect to them in saying that.

Remember the heat and humidity played a part as well. The conditions are stifling.

If Moore and Obita converted their pens everyone would be saying we were immense. Just like they did after Fulham. It's fine margins that decide these games.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 29 May 2017 22:55

genome BTW... how calm was Steve?!

Very

Do we know he was actually at the game?!

JR

by JR » 29 May 2017 22:56

John Madejski's Wallet
genome Was feeling pretty zen about the match until I got to the ground - then nerves. And to lose it like that, I'm properly gutted. I won't blame Moore or Obita - penalties are a lottery. Heartbreaking to lose it after having the advantage though.

We didn't deserve anything from the match, Huddersfield were the better side on the day - more enterprising, more dangerous. We were incredibly static. You need movement off the ball when you play a possession game - it was just too easy for the Terriers. Can't really get my head round it.

Danny Williams was superb. I would love him to stay, but I can't see it.

^^^ and that's why the English will always be sh*t at panelties

Noting that it was our two English players who missed the penalties and the team with 3 Germans and a German manager won the shoot-out.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 May 2017 22:56

Steve was either asleep, dying or the calmest mother oxf*rd in the stadium.

Also I'm not as convinced with our defence, we've looked solid lately but that's through playing 3 centre backs and completely dropping our wingers, which says a lot about a manager who came in at the start of the season and really hammered home the importance of a 4-3-3. Hopefully the investment comes in the Summer because Stam needs the opportunity to properly build the team in his image, it's sort of at a half job right now, which makes the play-off final all the more impressive.

We look a lot more dangerous with our wingers playing, McCleary most notably, it was very clear Gunter and Blackett/Obita were afraid to bomb forward as doing so would give the Huddersfield wingers a free run down the wing if they lost the ball.

Ah well, now for the lovely 3 months of no domestic football.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 May 2017 22:58

JR
John Madejski's Wallet
genome Was feeling pretty zen about the match until I got to the ground - then nerves. And to lose it like that, I'm properly gutted. I won't blame Moore or Obita - penalties are a lottery. Heartbreaking to lose it after having the advantage though.

We didn't deserve anything from the match, Huddersfield were the better side on the day - more enterprising, more dangerous. We were incredibly static. You need movement off the ball when you play a possession game - it was just too easy for the Terriers. Can't really get my head round it.

Danny Williams was superb. I would love him to stay, but I can't see it.

^^^ and that's why the English will always be sh*t at panelties

Noting that it was our two English players who missed the penalties and the team with 3 Germans and a German manager won the shoot-out.

One of their Germans did miss though (Hefele). And our German (Williams) scored.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 May 2017 23:00

Top Flight
JR
John Madejski's Wallet ^^^ and that's why the English will always be sh*t at panelties

One of their Germans did miss though (Hefele). And our German (Williams) scored.

He is only half though, maybe he's more prone to missing than full fledged Germans

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 May 2017 23:04

Top Flight Remember the heat and humidity played a part as well. The conditions are stifling.

It was about 22 C with a mild hind of mugginess. It was not hot or stifling.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 May 2017 23:07

tidus_mi2 Ah well, now for the lovely 3 months of no domestic football.

More like two. 9 weeks I think.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 May 2017 23:08

Said I didn't care if we didn't go up and I stand by that. Slightly disappointing that we didn't give it more but tbf the approach was completely understandable imho. Both teams trying not to lose rather than trying to win with Huddersfield slightly edging it. We didn't really give a good account of ourselves but neither did they. No problems with the penalty misses, both Moore and Obita have been outstanding for us, especially so the former and so shouldn't be too disheartened. A tad strange that we had a CB up there and no Gmac but whatever, it is what it is and no point getting too worked up over one thing.

Huddersfield deserve it. End of. Yes we finished higher (just) however let's not forget we more than likely wouldn't have had they not thrown their remaining games by resting players. We've both been up there all season and there was little to separate the sides in both of our league games. Narrow one nil victories to the home side in both occasions, taking into consideration they had a man down at our place. Over the course of the season they played nicer football than we have and their fans have been absolutely fantastic all season long. Really hope they do well and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on them.

We should be immensely proud of the achievements of this team this season, to come from where we were to now is remarkable and hats off to everyone involved at the club.

Will be sad to lose Williams especially after his good form of late (and our MOTM today) but I'm already looking forward to next season. Stam won't go anywhere, I'd be surprised if anyone else does, the young team we have will have learnt a huge amount and should be better, and with our new owners hopefully Jaap will have the funds available to add quality additions that we need to instigate a more legitimate and founded promotion campaign.

Really not vexed about missing out on paying more money to be surrounded by plastic fans, get dicked every weekend and being a Match of The Day afterthought - at least for another season.

Anyway, was tanked and so had a good laugh.

Highlight of the day: "Were the inside/outside of the pub" chant at the torch (I was outside btw).

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 May 2017 23:09

genome

It depends on how you view it, 3 months until competitive fixtures start, maybe 9 weeks or so when pre-season starts.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 May 2017 23:19

tidus_mi2
genome

It depends on how you view it, 3 months until competitive fixtures start, maybe 9 weeks or so when pre-season starts.

Season starts August 5th - just over 9 weeks away.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 May 2017 23:20

genome
tidus_mi2
genome

Season starts August 5th - just over 9 weeks away.

You're right, for some reason I was failing at Year 1 maths.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 May 2017 23:22

It'll come round quicker than you think too. Fixtures announced in a couple of weeks.

153 posts