The Shame Your Block Thread

199 posts
East Grinstead Royal

Re: The Shame Your Block Thread

by East Grinstead Royal » 30 May 2017 13:23

Ah, just seen the comment that 108 was supposed to be a "singing block," which kind of explains the frustration of some.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 May 2017 13:24

TBF 110 stood throughout (even if many of them weren't very vocal) and no complaints that I'm aware of. When my kids were younger, I made sure they stood on seats/seat backs so that they could see, rather than moan at others for standing.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 30 May 2017 13:27

My block was fine (111). Lots of singing (although not terribly well co-ordinated), lots of standing. Like any decent away game, although not as good as Fulham.

However, generally peed off at people getting tickets in the singing section and then not singing or moaning about having to stand or both. There was half the stadium to pick from for oxf*rd sake.

Bit of handbags at the end between two girls who were holding up a banner for Yann, and a woman in front of me - she couldn't see the players doing their round of appreciation because of the banner. Neither could I - I could have stood on my seat, but then would have been blocking behind me. Woman went a bit mental, but although I wouldn't go that far, I could see her point. Put up your flipping banner when you see Yann, and then put it down again so everybody else can see. Had to scramble past people into the aisle to see anything.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 May 2017 13:28

I feel more gutted today than after Swansea... is there any reason why others feel worse after the Swansea defeat?

Jaytee

by Jaytee » 30 May 2017 13:42

Definitely down to poor support from the fans.
I'm sure we would have won easily if 221 were cheering!
The only reason Hudd were louder was due to their "clacking fan things" which made more noise than the flag waving.
Be honest, there was a complete lack of entertainment on the pitch. Reading froze for the first 20 and were lucky to survive. Swift never at the races and should have gone off sooner (that free kick was appalling). Joey was looking to get sent off. Nothing up front until McCleary came on . Williams looked like a real player who will probably be away (MOM). Ali did his bit and all we had to do was score 2 more and we were there. But it was not to be and we start again.

Its a funny old game.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 May 2017 13:46

Jaytee Definitely down to poor support from the fans.
I'm sure we would have won easily if 221 were cheering!
The only reason Hudd were louder was due to their "clacking fan things" which made more noise than the flag waving.
Be honest, there was a complete lack of entertainment on the pitch. Reading froze for the first 20 and were lucky to survive. Swift never at the races and should have gone off sooner (that free kick was appalling). Joey was looking to get sent off. Nothing up front until McCleary came on . Williams looked like a real player who will probably be away (MOM). Ali did his bit and all we had to do was score 2 more and we were there. But it was not to be and we start again.

Its a funny old game.

Disagree. Huddersfield were way louder, even without their clappers. Had to walk through a crowd of them on the way to the stadium and they were absolutely deafening. They really will upstage the home fans at many PL stadiums.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 May 2017 13:47

Stupidest things heard at the game - As I left a teenager near me in block 114 - "We'll beat them next season when they come down" He did then go on to talk about us signing Ronaldo and Messi, how he wants Huddersfield to go bankrupt and that he will punch the Huddersfield fans.
I think his Dad was quite understandably just ignoring him.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 May 2017 13:56

I'm fed up with JVB

Every time he plays he seems on a mission to get sent off

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 30 May 2017 14:00

bobby1413 I feel more gutted today than after Swansea... is there any reason why others feel worse after the Swansea defeat?

In the Swansea game we were inches away from a historic comeback. The team gave their all after a shocking start.

We were useless yesterday and Huddersfield deserved to win. It's hard to feel too disappointed when deep down we all know that we are not ready for the top flight yet.

Oxon_Royal

by Oxon_Royal » 30 May 2017 14:00

genome For all the criticism of our own fans on here, you might wanna give this thread a read.

http://downatthemac.proboards.com/threa ... ading-fans

Wow...that's great to read and a real credit to the vast majority of our supporters.
However, we may be magnanimous in defeat, but there are still far too many who prefer to sit at a football match in silence.
They might as well be at the theatre IMO.

Regarding their supporters, I found the majority to be decent, friendly types.
Only 3 small incidents for me personally, but nothing to get upset about.
A bunch of arrogant. young pricks walked past me on the way to the stadium deliberately talking loudly about how they thought Reading should never have been in the Play-Offs. Ok, they might have had a point, but I didn't need to hear it. I shouted back back something like 'pot, kettle' which got them giggling like girls.
Then another group on the opposite side of the road singing loudly about 'doing' Reading fans, while looking directly at me while they sang.
I just imitated them in their annoying northern accent.
Finally, some woman driving home with husband next to her calling to me 'which way to Huddersfield mate?' This probably riled me the most as she clearly thought she was being funny, egged on no doubt by her other half, but unfortunately for her the lights went red just ahead. On approaching the car the windows were all firmly up with no eye contact from either of them (bear in mind I was on my own), so I just made some gesture about crapping herself (not that I would have actually done anything, but it made me think 'not so brave are you now') :D

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 May 2017 14:01

Forbury Lion Stupidest things heard at the game - As I left a teenager near me in block 114 - "We'll beat them next season when they come down" He did then go on to talk about us signing Ronaldo and Messi, how he wants Huddersfield to go bankrupt and that he will punch the Huddersfield fans.
I think his Dad was quite understandably just ignoring him.

Overheard on the way home one old duffer

"That was worse than Bolton. I was there when we lost 3-2 and that bloke Jimmy something, player coach, was playing. He was Reading through and through he was."

4-3, Quinn, the Northern Irish man who joined us in the twilight of his career, you daft old coot.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 30 May 2017 14:08

notloyalenuffroyal I was down right miffed with my fellow fans today.

I sang, my boy joined in, even my 8 year old daughter wearing 2 Kingsley stickers on her cheeks started a UUUURRRRZZZZ at some point....

And yet..... I was glared at, and surrounded by a small amount of rhythmic clapping.....

I backed the boys..... I made some noise..... and all I got was stony silence and glares......

Shame on you Block 221. I don't care that you paid more to sit on the padded seats.... I don't care that you wanted more leg room..... I don't care that you were p*ssed off having to queue in a weird snakey theme park ride manner...... I don't care if you couldn't afford the champagne bar and the pick and mix...... YOU BACK THE BOYS AND MAKE SOME NOISE.....

Danny Williams deserved to hear you sing his song. Chrissy Gunter Baby looked up and pleaded you to sing. John Swift....... well..... John Swift deserved to hear you give him some stick when he gave the ball away cheaply again.....

But nothing....

I alone sang "Oh Ali Al-Habsi" before every penalty and I don't give a monkey's ball crackers if you hated me!!!!!

I was loud..... I was proud.....

But block 221..... you let us down..... you missed the penalty...... you should go and have a good hard look at yourself in the mirror.... and tomorrow, when you read the Daily Mail and see those Huddersfield faces on the back pages..... know this.... you are not welcome!

Maybe the other people in your block were actually fully developed adults who don't judge the value of others by how loudly or often they shout inane bollocks. People like you are everything that is wrong with football.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 30 May 2017 14:19

yeah, and he's not loyal enough

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 30 May 2017 14:23

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Well in our stand, some of us had to stand as there was a conflict between a couple who were in the wrong block, and a pair of brothers (I'm going to assume this as they looked similar). Unfortunately, this occurred on the same row as where a wreath of commemorative flowers had been placed. Astonishingly the conclusion of this was a young lad offering to stand where the flowers were so everybody else could squeeze into the row. Why the couple didn't move to their correct block, or even to the empty seats at the end of our row was a pitiful mixture of shyness and Britishness in not wanting to make a fuss. Shame really, because as I'm in my 40s, I'm sort of reaching that age where if I stand for two hours my knees grumble for a week. And I reckon that the game was so weak that there was no need to stand all game.

I couldn't work out what was going on there but it seemed a bit ugly that (what I assume was) a seat bought in tribute to someone couldn't be respected.

I got fed up standing all game.

The atmosphere was shit for, I think, several reasons:

1) The game was terrible and Reading were appalling
2) It's nowhere near as significant to us as, say, 1995 was. We've spent three seasons in the PL so it doesn't have the magic that it has for Huddersfield.
3) The usual dilution of regular fans with one-off attendees.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 May 2017 14:32

Sebastian the Red
Maybe the other people in your block were actually fully developed adults who don't judge the value of others by how loudly or often they shout inane bollocks. People like you are everything that is wrong with football.

It does my head in when people have this attitude

It's not immature to get frustrated by fans and supporters just sitting on their hands, especially on a big occasion. It's human nature to get annoyed when you've been to multiple away games, all home games, cup games etc... and then see day trippers sat down with their pop corn on their big day out.

The players wanted more support, Al Habsi, Williams and McClearly (maybe Moore too) all on numerous occasions were waving their arms at the Reading fans to get some noise generated and some support. It matters to them and in football, atmosphere is one of the brilliant things about it.

Maybe you'd enjoy rugby if you don't agree with this

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 30 May 2017 14:36

bobby1413 It's not immature to get frustrated by fans and supporters just sitting on their hands, especially on a big occasion

Yes it is, it's pathetic. WTF does it have to do with you how other people behave? There are no bigger pcunts at football matches that self-appointed fan police who scream at strangers for not singing their daft little song.

The players wanted more support

Yeah and I wanted them to turn up and not play like dogshit but they couldn't grant me that small wish either.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 30 May 2017 14:40

bobby1413
Maybe you'd enjoy rugby if you don't agree with this

Bloody love an outing to Twickers.

Have you considered a trip to Lords as well? Wonderful way to pass a few hours on a balmy summer's day.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 May 2017 14:51

Some chaps behind me in 507, whenever Izzy Brown's name was read out, they'd shout "YES HE IS!"

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 30 May 2017 14:59

bobby1413
RG7Fan 108 - fairly noisy but there were also times when it was quiet (maybe the lack of decent gameplay).

Had to stand all game to see round the guy in front of me, who was stood because the 2-3 rows in from of him were standing. This almost caused a punch up involving another (I assume fairly lubricated) guy getting the arse about it. Odd as he was sat 10 ft to the right of them and in no way had his view impeded.

Wasn't 108 part of "The singing section"... aka the "people likely to stand" area?

108 was in the "family" section - 109 was the start of the singing section - which is probably why the bloke was getting pretty riled.

Phrase of the day - Get into him Gunter / Obita (with no pronunciation of the T in either surname). Must have heard it 50 times during the game.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 30 May 2017 15:47

The atmosphere was certainly disappointing when compared to the Swansea and Arsenal matches. The general mood in the build up particularly in the town was very subdued, only 1 flag I saw hanging up outside Lime Bar. The club still have plenty of work to do to reconnect with the wider fan base

199 posts