The Shame Your Block Thread

199 posts
notloyalenuffroyal

Re: The Shame Your Block Thread

by notloyalenuffroyal » 31 May 2017 00:10

Para Handy
Really, You're a teacher and you're posting a thread "Shame your Block" smh.

Hmmmm. Yes...

And did you know teachers are even allowed to smile sometimes, have a joke, use irony and even, yes even, not wear a tie sometimes. Extraordinary. I even go shopping.

Shame Your Block isn't a demand. It's not a serious poke at everybody there, just meant to be a light hearted dissemination of the disappointment I (And note the I there, thoroughly a personal thing) at my fellow block 221ers.

Fair play to them.... they led their own lives, I just thought some witty discourse on their lack of involvement and adventures to the pick and mix stand, alongside the bloke who went out after 15 minutes (? When he was planning his trip to the football , did he not think "oooh -when I get there after a few beers, May be I'll need a wee rather than waste some of that £76 a ticket I have paid to watch football")... might be amusing.

Clearly not. Offence caused. Many apologies. I shall retreat to my interactive whiteboard and lament on my inability to get 8x to focus for every millisecond that OFSTED demands. I am failing. I am failing.........

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 31 May 2017 00:12

notloyalenuffroyal
Para Handy
Really, You're a teacher and you're posting a thread "Shame your Block" smh.

Hmmmm. Yes...

And did you know teachers are even allowed to smile sometimes, have a joke, use irony and even, yes even, not wear a tie sometimes. Extraordinary. I even go shopping.

Shame Your Block isn't a demand. It's not a serious poke at everybody there, just meant to be a light hearted dissemination of the disappointment I (And note the I there, thoroughly a personal thing) at my fellow block 221ers.

Fair play to them.... they led their own lives, I just thought some witty discourse on their lack of involvement and adventures to the pick and mix stand, alongside the bloke who went out after 15 minutes (? When he was planning his trip to the football , did he not think "oooh -when I get there after a few beers, May be I'll need a wee rather than waste some of that £76 a ticket I have paid to watch football")... might be amusing.

Clearly not. Offence caused. Many apologies. I shall retreat to my interactive whiteboard and lament on my inability to get 8x to focus for every millisecond that OFSTED demands. I am failing. I am failing.........

Do they do Internet Skillz classes at your school?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 31 May 2017 00:28

I was in block 111 and the atmosphere was touch and go. The issue as many pointed out was there was large areas of people not singing or joining in which meant that there were large bundles of people dotted around trying to start something but it just fizzed out really quickly.

I stood all game with no issues as did most of 111 it seemed

Happy to find that when I left the ground (immediately after they won) that the tube was easy to get on. No delays, no stops by Police, no queues, just straight on as soon as one arrived. The last thing I wanted to was to be waiting ages - like we did at Arsenal earlier in the season, horrendous to get away from there.

Went to the Wetherspoons before the game in Baker Street (I thought that was the Globe originally). Good crowd in there. Funnily enough there was a better atmosphere in there than at the game. I had planned on getting something to eat there but it was packed so waited until we got to wembley and just grabbed a chicken burger.

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 31 May 2017 00:45

BR0B0T

Sadly no subjectz that include a z. We are not that modern.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 31 May 2017 00:46

notloyalenuffroyal
BR0B0T

Sadly no subjectz that include a z. We are not that modern.

Do you have a smartboard?

Royal Monkey

by Royal Monkey » 31 May 2017 02:48

Seriously that atmosphere was shocking and I don't care if it upsets anyone our support is f@kin shite. I was in block 109 with my 2 lads and we were excited to be in the 'singing section' where we could stand the whole game and generate some noise. As soon as the game was about to kick off I've got some prick 2 rows behind jabbing me in the back telling me to sit down ! That ruined it for me. On the few occasions we got forward and I jumped up in the anticipation we might score (lol) I looked round and he was still sat down with a miserable look on his face what an utter pcunt why do these people even bother to go.
I know it wasn't a great game and we weren't at our best but people saying we weren't singing etc cos we weren't winning just completely beggars belief. I've been watching Reading for 38 years and have been to every Wembley/Millennium visit and I thought, even with all the days trippers, they have been amazing atmospheres so I'm just miffed why it was so bad on Monday.
I travel to every home game from Sherwood Forest and I don't know how much my heart is in it anymore cos for me the vast majority of our support is just embarrassing!

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 31 May 2017 06:21

notloyalenuffroyal
Sebastian the Red
notloyalenuffroyal I was down right miffed with my fellow fans today.

I sang, my boy joined in, even my 8 year old daughter wearing 2 Kingsley stickers on her cheeks started a UUUURRRRZZZZ at some point....

And yet..... I was glared at, and surrounded by a small amount of rhythmic clapping.....

I backed the boys..... I made some noise..... and all I got was stony silence and glares......

Shame on you Block 221. I don't care that you paid more to sit on the padded seats.... I don't care that you wanted more leg room..... I don't care that you were p*ssed off having to queue in a weird snakey theme park ride manner...... I don't care if you couldn't afford the champagne bar and the pick and mix...... YOU BACK THE BOYS AND MAKE SOME NOISE.....

Danny Williams deserved to hear you sing his song. Chrissy Gunter Baby looked up and pleaded you to sing. John Swift....... well..... John Swift deserved to hear you give him some stick when he gave the ball away cheaply again.....

But nothing....

I alone sang "Oh Ali Al-Habsi" before every penalty and I don't give a monkey's ball crackers if you hated me!!!!!

I was loud..... I was proud.....

But block 221..... you let us down..... you missed the penalty...... you should go and have a good hard look at yourself in the mirror.... and tomorrow, when you read the Daily Mail and see those Huddersfield faces on the back pages..... know this.... you are not welcome!

Maybe the other people in your block were actually fully developed adults who don't judge the value of others by how loudly or often they shout inane bollocks. People like you are everything that is wrong with football.

Wow. 6 pages since starting a jovial, "Shane some people don't join in" thread and it all gets a bit nasty.

I would love to still be considered non fully developed in the adult sense, but my receding hairline and proceeding stomach tend to disagree.....

My disappointment came from having been to all the playoffs and the FA Cup semi and this seemingly being the only final where people couldn't be roused. At no time did I ask, demand, enquire, abuse, encourage or even send a memo to anyone to join in, I just ploughed on regardless, singing, clapping and having a jolly time on my own.

I even had a proud moment when a URZZZ I started travelled around the ground. Sad life, I know......

My OP was just a lament on expectations. If you don't try to create an atmosphere, there will be no atmosphere. The number of times I have watched games and the ball is dragged into the net with a decent atmosphere means it makes a difference. Bristol away this season a perfect example...

I'm not bitter..... just miffed...... miffed in my own opinion of what going to football is all about. I am a grown up, old, balding Dad of 2, teacher. May be I am getting it wrong, but still when I go to watch the few games I am able to next season, I'll be Backing the Boys and making some noise every time!

Hopefully they'll put some clappers in the shop for the rest of you.

What do you do when the children you teach start bawling that the other boys and girls won't join in with their sing-song?

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 31 May 2017 06:27

Royal Monkey I travel to every home game from Sherwood Forest and I don't know how much my heart is in it anymore cos for me the vast majority of our support is just embarrassing!

I absolutely agree, the behaviour and general demeanour of other fans is exactly why I stopped attending as well.

106royal1871

by 106royal1871 » 31 May 2017 07:29

El Diablo Block 114 -

Sat at the back - with some Y26 ers , but mostly kids / day trippers / families / west standers.

Noise was there at times - but took ages to get going and unfortunately most of them around us couldn't be arsed / didn't know any chants/ was very short-lived.

Standard fare for RFC at Wembley unfortunately - and it didn't help that the Team didn't really get going .

I agree block 114 was extremely disappointing. I have no idea why these people booked in the standing section in the first place if they're going to sit I mean are they so reluctant to actually read before they buy their ticket. :roll: :evil:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 May 2017 07:35

notloyalenuffroyal
Sebastian the Red
notloyalenuffroyal I was down right miffed with my fellow fans today.

I sang, my boy joined in, even my 8 year old daughter wearing 2 Kingsley stickers on her cheeks started a UUUURRRRZZZZ at some point....

And yet..... I was glared at, and surrounded by a small amount of rhythmic clapping.....

I backed the boys..... I made some noise..... and all I got was stony silence and glares......

Shame on you Block 221. I don't care that you paid more to sit on the padded seats.... I don't care that you wanted more leg room..... I don't care that you were p*ssed off having to queue in a weird snakey theme park ride manner...... I don't care if you couldn't afford the champagne bar and the pick and mix...... YOU BACK THE BOYS AND MAKE SOME NOISE.....

Danny Williams deserved to hear you sing his song. Chrissy Gunter Baby looked up and pleaded you to sing. John Swift....... well..... John Swift deserved to hear you give him some stick when he gave the ball away cheaply again.....

But nothing....

I alone sang "Oh Ali Al-Habsi" before every penalty and I don't give a monkey's ball crackers if you hated me!!!!!

I was loud..... I was proud.....

But block 221..... you let us down..... you missed the penalty...... you should go and have a good hard look at yourself in the mirror.... and tomorrow, when you read the Daily Mail and see those Huddersfield faces on the back pages..... know this.... you are not welcome!

Maybe the other people in your block were actually fully developed adults who don't judge the value of others by how loudly or often they shout inane bollocks. People like you are everything that is wrong with football.

Wow. 6 pages since starting a jovial, "Shane some people don't join in" thread and it all gets a bit nasty.

I would love to still be considered non fully developed in the adult sense, but my receding hairline and proceeding stomach tend to disagree.....

My disappointment came from having been to all the playoffs and the FA Cup semi and this seemingly being the only final where people couldn't be roused. At no time did I ask, demand, enquire, abuse, encourage or even send a memo to anyone to join in, I just ploughed on regardless, singing, clapping and having a jolly time on my own.

I even had a proud moment when a URZZZ I started travelled around the ground. Sad life, I know......

My OP was just a lament on expectations. If you don't try to create an atmosphere, there will be no atmosphere. The number of times I have watched games and the ball is dragged into the net with a decent atmosphere means it makes a difference. Bristol away this season a perfect example...

So, so, true. The atmosphere and support there was fantastic, even when it looked like we had managed to shoot ourselves in the foot and were dead and buried. If only we could have lifted that group of supporters and stuck them all together at Wembley.

And for those who keep asking whether it matters if supporters sing and shout, stop asking that question on here and ask it of the players and management. You actually know what their answer will be don't you; so why keep pretending it would be something different?

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 31 May 2017 07:51

It's a fiction concocted up over decades to make people feel involved so they keep giving the clubs their money, right?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 May 2017 08:13

Block 104 right after kick off I saw a lady stood up at the front of the block trying to gee people up singing but then seemed to be having a slanging match with some people in front of her - I presume it was over the fact she was standing as the bloke she arguing with kept pointing her to sit down. Don't know if anyone on here knows more as to what it was all about but she left after 5 minutes to move somewhere else.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 31 May 2017 08:18

Royal Monkey Seriously that atmosphere was shocking and I don't care if it upsets anyone our support is f@kin shite. I was in block 109 with my 2 lads and we were excited to be in the 'singing section' where we could stand the whole game and generate some noise. As soon as the game was about to kick off I've got some prick 2 rows behind jabbing me in the back telling me to sit down ! That ruined it for me. On the few occasions we got forward and I jumped up in the anticipation we might score (lol) I looked round and he was still sat down with a miserable look on his face what an utter pcunt why do these people even bother to go.
I know it wasn't a great game and we weren't at our best but people saying we weren't singing etc cos we weren't winning just completely beggars belief. I've been watching Reading for 38 years and have been to every Wembley/Millennium visit and I thought, even with all the days trippers, they have been amazing atmospheres so I'm just miffed why it was so bad on Monday.
I travel to every home game from Sherwood Forest and I don't know how much my heart is in it anymore cos for me the vast majority of our support is just embarrassing!

Good post - I know exactly what you mean. I've been to a few Reading away games where similar things have happened. I've been so up for it and then you get there to find hundreds of people sitting down behind you frowning as you're belting out a song to try to generate some atmosphere.

I recall at Arsenal away in our first PL season I was stood up and as the whistle sounded a guy behind prodded me in the back and said I was blocking his view. Same thing happened at Old Trafford the same season.

106royal1871 I agree block 114 was extremely disappointing. I have no idea why these people booked in the standing section in the first place if they're going to sit I mean are they so reluctant to actually read before they buy their ticket. :roll: :evil:

The problem was potentially that they didn't know it was the "Singing section" as one poster on this thread didn't realise when it was pointed out to them.

RoyalBlue And for those who keep asking whether it matters if supporters sing and shout, stop asking that question on here and ask it of the players and management. You actually know what their answer will be don't you; so why keep pretending it would be something different?

Vocal support is engrained in football culture and anyone that asks "Does it really matter..." is either in denial as our support is crap and they don't want to admit it, lying just to be controversial, or just don't get it.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 31 May 2017 08:27

Oh and the post above has just made me think "Bring on Barnsley at home on a cold Tuesday night" - at least it will be a ground half full with people who have a real interest and passion for RFC

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 31 May 2017 09:14

I don't want the good name of block 119 sullied by being dragged into this thread.

It may be because we were at the back of the block, right up under the gantry - but I thought the atmosphere and noise level was decent enough.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 31 May 2017 09:18

You could tell the atmosphere was going to be crap, The Torch was full of bellends who think it's hard to throw bottles into the crowds.

Stood in 111 all game, had a moron in front of us who screamed at Swift when a defender deflected his pass wayward. :roll: Other than that no issues, though it was hard to get any sort of atmosphere going.

Overall a pretty shit day, though had a nice meal at Fumo near Leicester Square after.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 31 May 2017 09:31

LWJ The Torch was full of bellends who think it's hard to throw bottles into the crowds.

Yep 100% agree. As stated I really regret going there with my non-football-supporting Dad.

We should have left when those singing and on tables decided to throw bottles and half pints full of beer at a passing Huddersfield coach

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 31 May 2017 10:35

bobby1413 wrote:
LWJ wrote:
The Torch was full of bellends who think it's hard to throw bottles into the crowds.

Yep 100% agree. As stated I really regret going there with my non-football-supporting Dad.

We should have left when those singing and on tables decided to throw bottles and half pints full of beer at a passing Huddersfield coach

Me and bruv sat on a wall, opposite the Torch, watching it all unfold. The best bit being that there were a load of wasps flying around to get at the foliage behind us. We didn't bother them and they didn't bother us. Some sort of mutual understanding taking place. Kind of summed up the day really. Oh, and for the record, we were in Block 111. Stood up all game. As Russ Abbot would say 'you need an atmosphere'. Atmosphere and performance on the pitch both went missing in action. Still, this season has certainly surpassed a lot of peoples' expectations. So, we'll dust ourselves down and get ready to go again. URZ.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 May 2017 10:45

Sebastian the Red
notloyalenuffroyal
Sebastian the Red

I'm not bitter..... just miffed...... miffed in my own opinion of what going to football is all about. I am a grown up, old, balding Dad of 2, teacher. May be I am getting it wrong, but still when I go to watch the few games I am able to next season, I'll be Backing the Boys and making some noise every time!

Hopefully they'll put some clappers in the shop for the rest of you.

What do you do when the children you teach start bawling that the other boys and girls won't join in with their sing-song?

I for one, like St Pauli's new edgier persona.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 31 May 2017 11:17

bobby1413
LWJ The Torch was full of bellends who think it's hard to throw bottles into the crowds.

i thought you liked an 'atmosphere'?

199 posts