The Shame Your Block Thread

199 posts
Stockport Royal

Re: The Shame Your Block Thread

by Stockport Royal » 31 May 2017 12:01

wow this thread got nasty quickly.

Me and Stockport Royal Snr were up in the Gods in 505, ironically we were able to stand up for the full game, as we only had one row behind us, I simply asked the lads sat there if they were happy to stand, or swap rows but they got involved as well.

I thought we got noisy at times, it was noticeable it was only ever our most generic and simple songs that got going. As an example, I had a go at getting the Bill Odie song going, a lot of head turns for that, but couldn't resist the chance of possibly getting the full end singing it, I failed.

However although all others in the block were sat down, they were giving the singing a go and to be honest I knew it wasn't going to rowdy up there anyway so can't complain.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 31 May 2017 12:06

I was in 517 and at no point did I hear anyone singing or attempt to get a chart going. Didn't bother me too much as I needed both hands to hold onto my thermos flask and didn't want to clap.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 31 May 2017 13:06

"Ham hock pie, hummus roll, c'mon Reading score a goal".

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 May 2017 13:09

No Fixed Abode "Ham hock pie, hummus roll, c'mon Reading score a goal".

"Chicken pate, ham terrine, the finest team you've ever seen"

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 31 May 2017 13:37

Norfolk Royal I was in 517

why didn't you say hello? I was in blue and white, holding a blue flag.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 May 2017 13:41

Stockport Royal wow this thread got nasty quickly.

Me and Stockport Royal Snr were up in the Gods in 505, ironically we were able to stand up for the full game, as we only had one row behind us, I simply asked the lads sat there if they were happy to stand, or swap rows but they got involved as well.

I thought we got noisy at times, it was noticeable it was only ever our most generic and simple songs that got going. As an example, I had a go at getting the Bill Odie song going, a lot of head turns for that, but couldn't resist the chance of possibly getting the full end singing it,

So you are the reason we lost! :twisted: The great bearded one himself had pointed out how our form had picked up since we stopped singing his song and expressed the hope that we wouldn't sing it again for fear of missing out on promotion.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 31 May 2017 13:46

CountryRoyal

Prawn Sandwich, glass of Gin, Come on Reading win win win

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 31 May 2017 13:46

bobby1413
RoyalBlue And for those who keep asking whether it matters if supporters sing and shout, stop asking that question on here and ask it of the players and management. You actually know what their answer will be don't you; so why keep pretending it would be something different?

Vocal support is engrained in football culture and anyone that asks "Does it really matter..." is either in denial as our support is crap and they don't want to admit it, lying just to be controversial, or just don't get it.

And whilst vocal support is engrained in football culture it helps in all sports - even cricket!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 31 May 2017 13:47

Shame Your Block / Tag yourself at Wembley crossover thread? - or is it taking things too far to put faces to the moaners?

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 31 May 2017 13:52

RoyalBlue

I thought we got noisy at times, it was noticeable it was only ever our most generic and simple songs that got going. As an example, I had a go at getting the Bill Odie song going, a lot of head turns for that, but couldn't resist the chance of possibly getting the full end singing it,

So you are the reason we lost! :twisted: The great bearded one himself had pointed out how our form had picked up since we stopped singing his song and expressed the hope that we wouldn't sing it again for fear of missing out on promotion.

Good God what have I done!

Still won't stop singing it though, it just makes me happy!

dashdash

by dashdash » 31 May 2017 13:58

Bob Smith If you were in row 12 the drunk (fwiw I didn't think he was particularly tanked) was to your right? Purple Lyle and Scott? I was row 13 and came very close to having a word with him but had my kids with me and didn't want to spoil the day

The woman was four or five rows in front of him and making not the slightest difference to his day out. really couldn't fathom why he was getting so animated. He stfu once she grassed him to the stewards though.

Yup, that's it; you're probably right on the drunkenness—perhaps just passionate and lairy... We were to the right of the steps, so they were on our left. Agreed with him on principle but not execution. The fanpic is quite clear on where the standers and sitters were...

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 31 May 2017 13:59

Stockport Royal
RoyalBlue

In my dreams prior to the final I had seen myself starting off 'Bill Oddie' with seconds of the game remaining and us with a safe 2-0 lead. It ended up with the whole Reading end joyously singing it live to the world :(

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 31 May 2017 14:21

RoyalBlue
Stockport Royal
RoyalBlue

In my dreams prior to the final I had seen myself starting off 'Bill Oddie' with seconds of the game remaining and us with a safe 2-0 lead. It ended up with the whole Reading end joyously singing it live to the world :(

Just superb!

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 31 May 2017 18:03

LUX
Norfolk Royal I was in 517

why didn't you say hello? I was in blue and white, holding a blue flag.

That was you was it? Just thought it was a bit of a weirdo to be avoided as I did the Telegraph crossword really.

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 31 May 2017 18:30

Forbury Lion
CountryRoyal

More relevant to the thread.....

Champagne,
Pick and Mix
We're gonna lose
On penalty kicks!

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 May 2017 18:36

notloyalenuffroyal
Forbury Lion
CountryRoyal

Champagne,
Pick and Mix
We're gonna lose
On penalty kicks!

Is pick and mix that middle class though?

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 31 May 2017 18:38

CountryRoyal
notloyalenuffroyal
Forbury Lion Prawn Sandwich, glass of Gin, Come on Reading win win win

Champagne,
Pick and Mix
We're gonna lose
On penalty kicks!

Is pick and mix that middle class though?

Seemed to be at Wembley!!!! Champagne bar, Pick and Mix stand,..... sadly burritos didn't rhyme!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 31 May 2017 19:44

On a more positive note, the 'Royals' mosaic as the teams came out looked absolutely superb - well done to the club for coming up with the idea and organising it.

Likewise the rendition of Sweet Caroline before the came was really loud and sent shivers down the spine (finally felt able to bring myself to watch my video clip of that!).

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 31 May 2017 19:49

bobby1413
LWJ The Torch was full of bellends who think it's hard to throw bottles into the crowds.

Yep 100% agree. As stated I really regret going there with my non-football-supporting Dad.

We should have left when those singing and on tables decided to throw bottles and half pints full of beer at a passing Huddersfield coach

Glad I swerved going to the Torch, queue was too big for a start!

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 31 May 2017 21:32

notloyalenuffroyal Hmmmm. Yes...

And did you know teachers are even allowed to smile sometimes, have a joke, use irony and even, yes even, not wear a tie sometimes. Extraordinary. I even go shopping.

Shame Your Block isn't a demand. It's not a serious poke at everybody there, just meant to be a light hearted dissemination of the disappointment I (And note the I there, thoroughly a personal thing) at my fellow block 221ers.

Fair play to them.... they led their own lives, I just thought some witty discourse on their lack of involvement and adventures to the pick and mix stand, alongside the bloke who went out after 15 minutes (? When he was planning his trip to the football , did he not think "oooh -when I get there after a few beers, May be I'll need a wee rather than waste some of that £76 a ticket I have paid to watch football")... might be amusing.

Clearly not. Offence caused. Many apologies. I shall retreat to my interactive whiteboard and lament on my inability to get 8x to focus for every millisecond that OFSTED demands. I am failing. I am failing.........

Yep, I don't think I said anything about your general demeanour. I'm sure you're allowed to smile when you're not posting miserable bollox on here.

FFS, why does it matter what other people do? Shame Your Block sounds like a demand too, tbh. Maybe (hopefully), you're not an English teacher.

I was in your block. I don't think I went for a piss after 15 minutes but so what if I had. WTF has it got to do with you?

Too many people on here worry too much about what other fans do. Whether they leave the ground early, whether they sing enough. It's farcical tbh. I've been going since 1970 btw so don't need any education about support. Sure it can make a difference, not convinced it makes a massive difference, but at a game like the Playoff final you're always going to get a lot of casual supporters. Don't know why people can't just accept that and just not worry too much about what their fellow supporters are doing.

199 posts