The Shame Your Block Thread

199 posts
Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Shame Your Block Thread

by Royal With Cheese » 01 Jun 2017 00:14

Forbury Lion
CountryRoyal
No Fixed Abode "Ham hock pie, hummus roll, c'mon Reading score a goal".

"Chicken pate, ham terrine, the finest team you've ever seen"
Prawn Sandwich, glass of Gin, Come on Reading win win win

Lovely stuff.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Jun 2017 07:46

Para Handy
notloyalenuffroyal Hmmmm. Yes...

And did you know teachers are even allowed to smile sometimes, have a joke, use irony and even, yes even, not wear a tie sometimes. Extraordinary. I even go shopping.

Shame Your Block isn't a demand. It's not a serious poke at everybody there, just meant to be a light hearted dissemination of the disappointment I (And note the I there, thoroughly a personal thing) at my fellow block 221ers.

Fair play to them.... they led their own lives, I just thought some witty discourse on their lack of involvement and adventures to the pick and mix stand, alongside the bloke who went out after 15 minutes (? When he was planning his trip to the football , did he not think "oooh -when I get there after a few beers, May be I'll need a wee rather than waste some of that £76 a ticket I have paid to watch football")... might be amusing.

Clearly not. Offence caused. Many apologies. I shall retreat to my interactive whiteboard and lament on my inability to get 8x to focus for every millisecond that OFSTED demands. I am failing. I am failing.........

Yep, I don't think I said anything about your general demeanour. I'm sure you're allowed to smile when you're not posting miserable bollox on here.

FFS, why does it matter what other people do? Shame Your Block sounds like a demand too, tbh. Maybe (hopefully), you're not an English teacher.

I was in your block. I don't think I went for a piss after 15 minutes but so what if I had. WTF has it got to do with you?

Too many people on here worry too much about what other fans do. Whether they leave the ground early, whether they sing enough. It's farcical tbh. I've been going since 1970 btw so don't need any education about support. Sure it can make a difference, not convinced it makes a massive difference, .

It didn't have to make a massive difference in that game though, did it? The 'difference' could have been sufficient. I now deeply regret nerves taking the better of me and not singing for Liam Moore and Jordan Obita as they stepped up to take their penalties (we had done for the first three). Hearing that, might just have eased their nerves/given them a bit more confidence.

Finally if you think 'The Shame Your Block Thread' is a demand, it's a damn good job you're not a teacher. Try reading the title again. The use of 'the' at the start prevents it being a demand. 'Shame your block' might have been a demand but that's not what's written, is it?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 01 Jun 2017 08:08

RoyalBlue I now deeply regret nerves taking the better of me and not singing for Liam Moore and Jordan Obita as they stepped up to take their penalties

lolwut

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Jun 2017 09:04

LWJ The Torch was full of bellends who think it's hard to throw bottles into the crowds.
Strange behaviour, Maybe The Torch can shed some light on this?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Jun 2017 09:19

One thing that grated me about our fans were those who started to gather their belongings together ready to leave before the last penalty was taken, I know statistically speaking the penalty taker is more likely to score than not, but for the sake of 30 seconds of whatever just chant Ali Al Habsi's name and still believe.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 01 Jun 2017 10:41

LUX
RoyalBlue I now deeply regret nerves taking the better of me and not singing for Liam Moore and Jordan Obita as they stepped up to take their penalties

lolwut

He's a precious flower. Still, if that's his only regret in life he's obviously doing something right.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 01 Jun 2017 10:42

Forbury Lion One thing that grated me about our fans were those who started to gather their belongings together ready to leave before the last penalty was taken, I know statistically speaking the penalty taker is more likely to score than not, but for the sake of 30 seconds of whatever just chant Ali Al Habsi's name and still believe.

Why did that bother you Forbes? Did it stop you from doing what you wanted to do?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 01 Jun 2017 11:35

LUX

lolwut

At least we now know who to blame.

RB you are now banned from any further RFC games. If I see you there, I will ring up your school and tell them you're a pedalo

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 01 Jun 2017 12:25

bobby1413
LUX

lolwut

At least we now know who to blame.

RB you are now banned from any further RFC games. If I see you there, I will ring up your school and tell them you're a pedalo

He'll just dress up as a school and keep getting away with it!

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 01 Jun 2017 12:35

Forbury Lion One thing that grated me about our fans were those who started to gather their belongings together ready to leave before the last penalty was taken, I know statistically speaking the penalty taker is more likely to score than not, but for the sake of 30 seconds of whatever just chant Ali Al Habsi's name and still believe.

I had no interest in staying and getting stuck in the hordes leaving the ground. Easy enough to walk back in if he missed.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Jun 2017 13:27

Sebastian the Red

Why did that bother you Forbes? Did it stop you from doing what you wanted to do?
It distracted Ali Al Habsi as they were in his direct line of sight just to the side of the penalty taker.

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 01 Jun 2017 13:59

Reading FC Fans. Caring more about what other people think than the results on the pitch since 1871.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 01 Jun 2017 16:42

Let me just tell you why this club will always struggle to attract new fans. Or at least have a more dedicated loyal fan base. For me it was summed up by a gentleman I was chatting to on the on the train going to Paddington.
"You going to the game mate". ( I was wearing my Reading colours) " yes mate" I replied.
Him "See the game Saturday I thought my Gunners p.....d all over Chelsea "
Me " your Gunners what part of North London are you from?"
Him "Tilehurst"
Me " so why are you coming today?.
Him " Here for the f.......n crack, don't give a toss about Reading. Don't get me wrong I hope they win be nice to take me boy to see the Gunners next season".
As this conversation of two intellectual minds progressed, I later found he could not name a Reading player and had only been to about 5 games at the Mad Stad. Turned out he didn't know that much about Arsenal either.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Jun 2017 16:56

Jackson Corner Let me just tell you why this club will always struggle to attract new fans. Or at least have a more dedicated loyal fan base. For me it was summed up by a gentleman I was chatting to on the on the train going to Paddington.
"You going to the game mate". ( I was wearing my Reading colours) " yes mate" I replied.
Him "Tilehurst"
Him " Here for the f.......n crack, don't give a toss about Reading. Don't get me wrong I hope they win be nice to take me boy to see the Gunners next season".
As this conversation of two intellectual minds progressed, I later found he could not name a Reading player and had only been to about 5 games at the Mad Stad. Turned out he didn't know that much about Arsenal either.
Did you catch his hobnob username?

double d

by double d » 01 Jun 2017 18:41

Ian Royal.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 01 Jun 2017 19:04

Right. I will be the first to admit that we left Wembley the second Huddersfield scored the winning penalty.
We were towards the back of 114, and despite the other views, the atmosphere was pretty good...and our lot sung the whole game through.

Once the game ended, we walked sharply towards the tube (along with thousands of other RFC, obviously). Once we were on the tube, I noticed three HTFC fans that had clearly got the tube before me. Despite a beer or two, I decided to wade in with a conversation.

In summary, I said "what did you think of the penalties?". And they all said, they only knew of the result when their friends sent them a text!!! And they were ALL wearing HTFC shirts.

So if EVER anyone on HOBNOB ever ever ever complains of RFC fans being plastic/day-trippers...then let me advise you that EVERY club has them. No doubt.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Jun 2017 19:06

Jackson Corner Let me just tell you why this club will always struggle to attract new fans. Or at least have a more dedicated loyal fan base. For me it was summed up by a gentleman I was chatting to on the on the train going to Paddington.
Him "Tilehurst"

We need a period of sustained success.

If Chelsea can be one of the most supported clubs in London surely Reading should be able to be one of the most supported clubs in Reading.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 02 Jun 2017 21:40

RoyalBlue Finally if you think 'The Shame Your Block Thread' is a demand, it's a damn good job you're not a teacher. Try reading the title again. The use of 'the' at the start prevents it being a demand. 'Shame your block' might have been a demand but that's not what's written, is it?

Lolz. We'll have to disagree on the semantics there. You're a twat so I don't mind disagreeing with you. I'm not even sure I should engage with you. How many games have you been to? Enough to warrant a another reply? I suspect not.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 04 Jun 2017 11:49

Him "Tilehurst"

That story doesn't say anything or have any relation to why Reading will apparently struggle to attract new fans.

All you've done is provided a great example of the typical, ignorant, and irrelevant opinions or a big club fan.

Someone who is a "massive supporter" but look at you confused when you ask them "great result for you guys, did you go?" Or who talk fondly of the time they went to the Arsenal game 3 years ago. They always have the latest shirt though and also subscribe to ArsenalTV.

RFC can and has attracted new fans. The longer we maintain championship football (In my opinion a high level of football) the better. Even more so with PL obviously.

The towns changing. It's bigger and is more populated. As generations go on then we can accumulate more fans.

See my "does reading do enough around town" thread. Going into schools, open days, an actual presence in town helps.

Random shoppers should not be able to walk through town for the day without seeing adverts for football, or a poster or a tv screen showing the fixtures or how to buy tickets.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Jun 2017 13:39

Para Handy
RoyalBlue Finally if you think 'The Shame Your Block Thread' is a demand, it's a damn good job you're not a teacher. Try reading the title again. The use of 'the' at the start prevents it being a demand. 'Shame your block' might have been a demand but that's not what's written, is it?

Lolz. We'll have to disagree on the semantics there. You're a twat so I don't mind disagreeing with you. I'm not even sure I should engage with you. How many games have you been to? Enough to warrant a another reply? I suspect not.

I would suggest resorting to insults proves my point about education. Take it from me, it's not semantics - use of the word 'The' makes the meaning absolutely clear. So I suggest you might have been better off listening to teachers rather than picking on them.

Maybe, it's 'semantics' but I really am struggling to see the relevance of 'games attended'. However, I stopped counting very many years ago. It's not as many as when I was younger, without dependents and therefore able to travel all home and most away games (haven't lived in the Reading area since I was 18) but it's still a lot.

199 posts