Now starts the re-build

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Now starts the re-build

by Sutekh » 30 May 2017 11:50

The issue Stam needs to resolve is one of creativity and the speed of passing. We've got the basis of something really good that just needs a bit extra in terms of technical ability/speed of thought to give more threat to the team overall

Expecting Williams to leave and Kelly to take over the "Williams" role. Been disappointed with the way John Swift finished the season but only because of his superb form earlier, so we know he is capable and would expect him to be more consistent next season.

It's about being clever in the transfer market I think. It would appear we have money available but would still expect some wheeling and dealing to get the best possible improvements together for the squad. A mixture of one or two excellent PL level loanees and a "marquee" type signing of a striker plus the usual freebies/unknowns and youngsters to augment and challenge the squad overall.

Hoping the new owners put some statement/PR into the media in the next 2/3 weeks and then for a really interesting close season and can't wait for next season to start.

Fixture List due 21 June I believe, pre-season presumably starting on 3 July?

The Informant

by The Informant » 30 May 2017 11:52

Re build? That started at the end of last season. If we add some players if quality and keep our best players we'll be formidable next year. A bit of excitement wouldn't go amiss though.

1x CB
2 x FB
1x CM
1x Winger
1x CF

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 May 2017 11:57

Will Stam still be here next season?

Serious question

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 30 May 2017 11:58

Best laid plans and all that. We can plan to kick on from an excellent season, but the league table shows just how unpredictable this league can be. In finishing position, with 15-16 position in brackets.

Newcastle (R)
Brighton (3rd)
Reading (17th)
Huddersfield (18th)
Sheff Weds (6th)
Fulham (19th)
Leeds (13th)

Surely it won't happen again? But then you look at who finished in those position this season, and the top 7 below might be a shock but not exactly full of minnows.

Middlesbrough (R)
Reading
Bristol City
QPR
Fulham
Birmingham
Aston Villa

Finally, who'd be a Preston fan? League record for the last two seasons is W 31 D31 L 30 F 109 A 108. :shock:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 May 2017 12:03

Bart7 I am also a bit worried about the strength of this division next year also. Norwich and Villa will improve after a season in the Championship and will strengthen there squads accordingly with the Parachute Payments they are receiving. Also you are getting two team that know how to get out of this division in Boro and Hull. You also have Fulham and Sheffield Wednesday ready to challenge again and I can see both them teams being back financially to make a run at the top 6.

So my questions is will Stam have enough backing to break into that top six or top two?

Villa spent serious money on Hogan and look where that got them.

Money is great - if you spend it wisely. Scouting the right players in the right places is far more important.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 May 2017 12:11

Key to the way we play is moving he ball with an abrupt change of pace and purpose, combined with stretching the pitch with movement.

Kelly is very good at this. He should be one of the first names on the team sheet next season. Swift ought to have been good at this, but is pushed off the ball too much and overcomplicates things.

If we play wing backs, we need players who are willing and capable of taking on their man. Obita can do it. Gunter can't. Blackett can't. As usual I want to see Gunter out, with a replacement to compete with Watson and someone to challenge Obita.

Centre back is fine with McShane, Moore, Ilori and Blackett plus Dickie and Berg.

We really need to decide if we're playing with wingers,
wide forwards or wing backs. I don't think we can afford to keep our options open with all of them. It's too many players not contributing enough.

Striker is key, though I still have hope for Meite.

With decent replacements and depending on style we could comfortably lose Williams, Gunter, McCleary, Swift and Beerens of our bigger names. We won't though.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 May 2017 12:14

paultheroyal
Bart7 I am also a bit worried about the strength of this division next year also. Norwich and Villa will improve after a season in the Championship and will strengthen there squads accordingly with the Parachute Payments they are receiving. Also you are getting two team that know how to get out of this division in Boro and Hull. You also have Fulham and Sheffield Wednesday ready to challenge again and I can see both them teams being back financially to make a run at the top 6.

So my questions is will Stam have enough backing to break into that top six or top two?

Villa spent serious money on Hogan and look where that got them.

Money is great - if you spend it wisely. Scouting the right players in the right places is far more important.

The league looks a lot weaker imo. The relegated teams this season are much worse than the previous seasons. Fulham, Leeds, Sheffield and Derby will have to do a lot to keep their best players, Villa need serious inv3stment in their squad and the rumour was they're not getting a big budget again, Norwich let a lot of players go so it's a coin toss whether they will replace well and I reckon only one of Hull, Boro and Sunderland will actually compete.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 30 May 2017 14:50

Ian Royal Key to the way we play is moving he ball with an abrupt change of pace and purpose, combined with stretching the pitch with movement.

Kelly is very good at this. He should be one of the first names on the team sheet next season. Swift ought to have been good at this, but is pushed off the ball too much and overcomplicates things.

If we play wing backs, we need players who are willing and capable of taking on their man. Obita can do it. Gunter can't. Blackett can't. As usual I want to see Gunter out, with a replacement to compete with Watson and someone to challenge Obita.

Centre back is fine with McShane, Moore, Ilori and Blackett plus Dickie and Berg.

wide forwards or wing backs. I don't think we can afford to keep our options open with all of them. It's too many players not contributing enough.

With decent replacements and depending on style we could comfortably lose Williams, Gunter, McCleary, Swift and Beerens of our bigger names. We won't though.

Have you seen our defensive stats? and you think the defence is fine?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 May 2017 14:59

mambo3
Ian Royal Key to the way we play is moving he ball with an abrupt change of pace and purpose, combined with stretching the pitch with movement.

Have you seen our defensive stats? and you think the defence is fine?

The stats skewed by a few heavy losses? Yeah, I think our central defence options are great.

A lot of our defensive issues were caused by lack of penetration upfront and unnecessary turnovers in midfield from what I saw. Brighton for example.

So yeah, I'll back Moore, McShane, Ilori, Blackett and Dickie thanks. Especially as most are young and improving.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 May 2017 15:18

Our defence will be excellent next season - I'm sure of it. Moore, Ilori and Blackett if we go back 5 will be better than any defence in the division. Obita needs to stay fit and Gunter needs to be a bit braver - but I don't think we'll concede many at all.

We prob do need an experience midfielder to replace Williams but Swift, Kelly and Evans should all be better next season.

Not seen enough of Meite or Mendes to make a judgement if they are up to standard, but if Stam has a few quid to spend, I'd suggest him and BT get their heads together to find the best striker they can afford. Not many names spring to mind, but Afobe a decent shout and I'd have a look at Vibe at Brentford. I think he is in last year of contract there

I think we'll be better to watch next year. If we can be a bit more trusting of the defence, hopefully Obita and Gunter can be a bit more offensive. I'd love to see them marauding like the FBs of Fulham - they have the pace and ability to do so

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 May 2017 15:41

Gunter will never ever maraud. He spent most of the final passing sideways or telling the person on the ball to pass to someone other than him. I don't think I've ever seen him take someone on other than deep in the final third and he rarely attempts the positive key ball forward to feet.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 30 May 2017 15:46

RFC shopping list:

No. 9 that can play Kermorgant's role in his absence
No. 10 cover
Williams re-signing/Williams replacement
Fullback cover, one player capable of playing both sides will do

alfie9

by alfie9 » 30 May 2017 15:55

Based on the law of Championship unpredictability, at least 2 of those 6 teams will flop

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 30 May 2017 16:04

Agreed, next season isn't going to be easy and teams like Norwich, Derby and Fulham should only get better, i don't really care for the teams coming down, they were all pretty dire in the prem last year. I personally think the top two could be an easier target next season, i really don't see a two horse race a la Newcastle and Brighton as those two were head and shoulders above everyone else this year. There could possibly be a group of 9 teams who could be challenging next season with not to much difference in class between them.
Regarding the rebuild, i really hope we stick to younger hungry players and not any ex prem mercenary type players now that we should have a half decent war chest to build with. I really like the idea of taking a few more from the continent, especially the Ajax youth team etc...the dutch guys and french guys have been ok, but they were budget buys with little money to spend. With a bit more money to throw around we should be able to pick up more quality from Holland, Germany etc...it worked for Huddersfield lol.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 May 2017 16:06

Winston Biscuit Wood has played for 9 (NINE) clubs in the UK, and only this season did he look even half decent.
A bit like Nick Blackman for us then before Derby signed him.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 30 May 2017 16:08

I forgot to mention in my last post, Mendes could become a real handful if given a run in the team and a chance to adapt, and i would like to see Hurtado given a go this year as he must surly be pretty technically gifted being a south american lol and should fit more into the possession style of play we use, any thoughts.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 May 2017 16:11

alfie9 RFC shopping list:

No. 10 cover
+1 Although I see Kermorgant as a number 10 with no pacey no 9 playing alongside. It's like Butler and Cureton without Cureton.

I also feel that any rebuilding should be based on having an effective plan B in terms of formation and tactics that we can switch to when required, If we could switch it up it will make us harder to neutralise.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 May 2017 16:17

It's the Championship, anyone can beat anyone on their day [/winstonbait]

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 May 2017 16:20

Forbury Lion

No. 10 cover
+1 Although I see Kermorgant as a number 10 with no pacey no 9 playing alongside. It's like Butler and Cureton without Cureton.

I also feel that any rebuilding should be based on having an effective plan B in terms of formation and tactics that we can switch to when required, If we could switch it up it will make us harder to neutralise.

We had very clear alternate formations which we played at different times. Not necessarily easily switched mi-game maybe. They all followed the same ethos, but that's unsurprising.

Sticking a big lump upfront and punting long after playing a passing game isn't having a plan B it's panicking when plan A doesn't work, for example.

We just need a bit more flair and ambition in our attack.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 30 May 2017 16:24

Ian Royal
Forbury Lion

No. 10 cover

We had very clear alternate formations which we played at different times. Not necessarily easily switched mi-game maybe. They all followed the same ethos, but that's unsurprising.

Sticking a big lump upfront and punting long after playing a passing game isn't having a plan B it's panicking when plan A doesn't work, for example.

We just need a bit more flair and ambition in our attack.

A bit more?!