The 2017/18 season preview/expectation and build up thread

143 posts

And where will Reading FC finish in the Championship in 2017/2018 (warning no Ian Royal option)

1-2 (automatic promotion)
23%
3-6 (& slay the play off bogey this time)
22%
3-6 (& the usual play off failure)
19%
7-12 (just not good enough)
30%
13-21 (well that was so worth the effort)
4%
22-24 (well and truly sussed by everyone)
1%

Total votes: 134
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The 2017/18 season preview/expectation and build up thread

by CountryRoyal » 27 Jul 2017 10:07

genome Anyone else excited for all the "we saw you cry on the telly" chants from away fans?

Jokes on them if they watched 120+ minutes of that shit, voluntarily.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 27 Jul 2017 10:27

Personally I expect this season to be a lot tougher.

For a start Villa and Derby have very talented squads but now have proper managers in place for their first full season so I expect them to be challenging at the top end. I think Middlesboro have a good squad for this level and although I'm not convinced by Monk , if he's anywhere near as good a manager as the media (and he) thinks he is they should be Top Two material. On the flip side you've got a Sunderland team in a bit of disarray but with a manager who I rate highly at this level in Simon Grayson so I don't think they'll be too far away.

Then there's Fulham who I think will be more consistent this season plus Sheff Weds who are perennial play-off challengers and I see no reason for that to be any different this season. Norwich and Hull could be anything with two managers new to English football but of the two I think Norwich look the more dangerous. Likewise the money being spent at Wolves indicates they're going to give it a real go this season under new ownership.

(Not so) Dark Horses for me will be Brentford and Sheff Utd. Both clubs seem to be settled in their identity and have momentum from last season plus two good English League managers so I think they'll not be far off the top 6.

Then there's 'arry at Birmingham which could be one job too far or one last hurrah and our old mate Neil at Cardiff who despite the flak that flies his way certainly knows how to get results at this level.

Which brings us to neatly onto us. On the face of it , with the departures and injuries we look weaker than last season whilst others in theory are strengthening. However there is a case to be made for the fact that the likes of Evans, Kelly, Blackett among others will be better for the experience of a full championship season. I also think Illori and Moore have the ability to be as good as anyone at this level. I don't see Mannone as a downgrade on Al Habsi either. The big question mark , as we can all see, is where are the goals coming from? Well I guess we will have to see what happens in the transfer market and whether Mendes or anyone else can step up. The big plus for us though I think is still Stam. A first full season to see exactly what's what in the Championship under his belt I think he'll be even more astute this season. From the little I've read on pre-season training it seems we're working towards a different style of play with a bit more tempo and intensity.

So whilst I'm confident that actually our performances and playing style will move forward I will be more than happy, and a little surprised, to be in the play-off hunt this season.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 27 Jul 2017 10:53

Vision Personally I expect this season to be a lot tougher.

For a start Villa and Derby have very talented squads but now have proper managers in place for their first full season so I expect them to be challenging at the top end. I think Middlesboro have a good squad for this level and although I'm not convinced by Monk , if he's anywhere near as good a manager as the media (and he) thinks he is they should be Top Two material. On the flip side you've got a Sunderland team in a bit of disarray but with a manager who I rate highly at this level in Simon Grayson so I don't think they'll be too far away.

Then there's Fulham who I think will be more consistent this season plus Sheff Weds who are perennial play-off challengers and I see no reason for that to be any different this season. Norwich and Hull could be anything with two managers new to English football but of the two I think Norwich look the more dangerous. Likewise the money being spent at Wolves indicates they're going to give it a real go this season under new ownership.

(Not so) Dark Horses for me will be Brentford and Sheff Utd. Both clubs seem to be settled in their identity and have momentum from last season plus two good English League managers so I think they'll not be far off the top 6.

Then there's 'arry at Birmingham which could be one job too far or one last hurrah and our old mate Neil at Cardiff who despite the flak that flies his way certainly knows how to get results at this level.

Which brings us to neatly onto us. On the face of it , with the departures and injuries we look weaker than last season whilst others in theory are strengthening. However there is a case to be made for the fact that the likes of Evans, Kelly, Blackett among others will be better for the experience of a full championship season. I also think Illori and Moore have the ability to be as good as anyone at this level. I don't see Mannone as a downgrade on Al Habsi either. The big question mark , as we can all see, is where are the goals coming from? Well I guess we will have to see what happens in the transfer market and whether Mendes or anyone else can step up. The big plus for us though I think is still Stam. A first full season to see exactly what's what in the Championship under his belt I think he'll be even more astute this season. From the little I've read on pre-season training it seems we're working towards a different style of play with a bit more tempo and intensity.

So whilst I'm confident that actually our performances and playing style will move forward I will be more than happy, and a little surprised, to be in the play-off hunt this season.

Agree with most of that and think that 'Boro are nailed on at 4/5 to finish in the top 6.
The new keeper is certainly a giant of a man so we might expect a stronger presence on crosses but unfortunately we have seen him recently only playing behind a shaky defence so he is a difficult one to judge.

Up front is a problem but it does sound as though the club is making efforts to sign a striker and a winger.

We were not ready for promotion last season however hopefully our younger players will improve but , as pundits seem to expect Pogba to be so much better this season, there is no guarantee that will happen.

Some interesting fixtures early on and, assuming that a couple more signings are made, another season to look forward to-promotion?
Who knows?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Jul 2017 14:11

John Smith
NewCorkSeth I think it's a much weaker league this season. I think I've said so a few times on hobnob.

Could you embellish on this point for the benefit of the rest of the board please?

OK so unless the numbers I have are wrong championship clubs need to sign 219 more players this window to match the previous summer. That's 9 for each club. Also each club will need to spend another 4.5 million to match the total spending of last summer.

Now I accept that spending doesn't correlate to a leagues strength but it can be an indication.

The teams coming down.
None appear to have strengthened very well and have lost or are going to lose key players. Boro have attempted a Newcastle but with worse players. Hull don't appear to know what to do and Sunderland wouldn't have finished in the top 10 in the championship last season.

What of last seasons relegated trio?
The strongest of the lot went up at first ask. Villa spunked a load of cash on players that couldn't do it and have now added 4 30+ year old high wage players who I would be surprised if they improve them to the point of title contenders and Norwich have quietly gone about their business adding players I don't know and can't comment on. They might be better but have lost a fair amount of their squad. Hard to call.

The teams still here.
We lost a very strong Brighton from the usual contenders so who's left? Derby (the perennial cock ups), Sheffield Wednesday (the perennial also rans), Fulham and Leeds. Have they improved that much?

I can't comment on the teams coming up but ive seen a few people say they're not a huge improvement (if one at all) on the teams that went down and it's hard for me to give a detailed analysis of the clubs mentioned above as I have limited Internet and hate typing on my phone (I'm on holiday) but I could always come back and re-edit this if you prefer?

I just feel like the teams that came down last season were stronger and they didn't do well (Newcastle obvious exception) and we lost one of the best teams in the division in Brighton.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 27 Jul 2017 15:35

NewCorkSeth
John Smith Could you embellish on this point for the benefit of the rest of the board please?

OK so unless the numbers I have are wrong championship clubs need to sign 219 more players this window to match the previous summer....

I appreciate you taking the time to try and make your point but the content of what you just put is very much sit-on-the-fence waffle without backing up your argument.

Get back to your holiday.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 27 Jul 2017 16:07

Absolute nonsense from Coral here...

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 27 Jul 2017 16:45

John Smith

Absolute nonsense from Coral here...

not sure it's too far off. Solid mid table for us. Wolves probably too high, Brentford too low.

I don't have high expectations for this season I'm afraid but very happy to be proved wrong (again)

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 27 Jul 2017 18:34

For some reason I can't vote in the poll.....but I think we'll finish around 10th. The thing and beauty of the Championship is it's so brutally competitive and though we're a proven experienced Championship team I fell the competition is too strong this season and our squad lacks that cutting edge to challenge for promotion. Hope I'm proven wrong but now having experienced four play offs heartbreak it's top two or nothing for me , so next year , a nice steady top ten finish will do me .

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jul 2017 18:20

Could now be without Berg and Bodvarsson after today's friendly. Both have ankle problems by the look of things but no idea as to how serious. On the upside neither looked particularly good v Arnhem anyway. :D

Also does anyone know the state of play as regards Garath McCleary, I'm presuming he's also out for all of August at least

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jul 2017 18:30

Sutekh Could now be without Berg and Bodvarsson after today's friendly.

Awful news. Don't know where the goals are going to come from now.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Jul 2017 18:34

Steven Quinn doesn`t seem to be featuring either. surely he can`t still be injured can he?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2017 18:44

windermereROYAL Steven Quinn doesn`t seem to be featuring either. surely he can`t still be injured can he?

He's no spring chicken and he's broken down in recovery from a major injury before. If he plays less than another 10 games in the Championship in his career let alone for us it wouldn't be a surprise.

Nuremberg Royal

by Nuremberg Royal » 29 Jul 2017 19:06

Who are Barsnley?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 29 Jul 2017 20:24

If we don't sign a forward soon I'm going to be seriously worried.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jul 2017 21:44

CountryRoyal

More concerned that we've enough quality players to fill the bench currently.

Nor have we replaced Williams in midfield. Lacking an experienced head.

Might have a poor start to the season at this rate.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jul 2017 22:09

Lower West
CountryRoyal

More concerned that we've enough quality players to fill the bench currently.

Nor have we replaced Williams in midfield. Lacking an experienced head.

Might have a poor start to the season at this rate.

I'm expecting a poor start to the season, both because of our squad and also teams will have prepared to play against us more effectively. Think it will take us a little bit to adjust and also get in more players. By the end of august last season we were only 15th, so I certainly won't be throwing my toys out if we're not setting the world alight.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jul 2017 09:08

Questions from yesterday...

1. How injured is McCleary
2. Will Quinn ever play again as GR reckoned he was fully recovered yet no sign yesterday, even as a sub
3. Where was Blackett
4. Is McShane injured again or was his non appearance a deliberate ploy as he is suspended next week

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Jul 2017 10:53

CountryRoyal I'm expecting a poor start to the season, both because of our squad and also teams will have prepared to play against us more effectively. Think it will take us a little bit to adjust and also get in more players. By the end of august last season we were only 15th, so I certainly won't be throwing my toys out if we're not setting the world alight.

Was listening to a discussion yesterday about Spurs. No signings so far this transfer window. Reckon that they are waiting for the market to cool and prices to drop. As clubs realise that they aren't going to get the amount they are asking for. Perhaps Reading are playing the same game. Biding their time until clubs are become forced sellers if they want a player off their books.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Jul 2017 12:08

The lack of intent/ambition on signings has dampened any expectations I have to be honest.

Im really frustrated with our activity and will probably have Sam Smith on the bench v QPR which shoes how weak we are.

Midtable at best now and lots of 0-0 draws at home

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Jul 2017 12:12

Seriously mate, do you actually believe the things you post?

143 posts