Other Fans Expectations Of Reading 2017/2018

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Other Fans Expectations Of Reading 2017/2018

by Jackson Corner » 01 Jun 2017 16:03

CountryRoyal We need to be careful not to go all Fulham and temper our expectations.

The sooner Stam comes out in his uniquely dutch-mancunian accent and says this the better tbh; "There are no guarantees in football, you know, with the teams coming down, the teams coming up, and the teams already in the division it will be very difficult. We need to be realistic with our aims but I think if we can break into the top half that will be a good season"

There are guarantees in football Reading always lose in play offs.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Jun 2017 16:16

I'm willing to bet someone £1,000 that one day we will win a playoff final.

wiggso

by wiggso » 01 Jun 2017 16:27

CountryRoyal I'm willing to bet someone £1,000 that one day we will win a playoff final.

how would the other person win?
play-offs disappear
Reading FC disappears
the world disappears

thats all i see, not great odds

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Jun 2017 16:54

wiggso
CountryRoyal I'm willing to bet someone £1,000 that one day we will win a playoff final.

how would the other person win?
play-offs disappear
Reading FC disappears
the world disappears

thats all i see, not great odds
They take the £1,000 stake and disapear

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 02 Jun 2017 21:20

The Informant Burton Albion
Who cares if their football's boring? (Well, their fans...I'm glad it's not MY team) They win games

Didn't we whack seven goals past Burton this season?

It's odd. We've gained a reputation as a very defensive team, I think largely based on the play-off games, and one game up at Leeds, where we were called boring by a set of fans watching their team park the bus at home.

I don't even think we are a defensive team. We just aren't very good at attacking.

The Informant

by The Informant » 03 Jun 2017 12:16

No doubting we are dull as oxf*rd to watch. Hoping we'll be a bit more exciting next season.

Effective though.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 Jun 2017 12:54

The Informant No doubting we are dull as oxf*rd to watch. Hoping we'll be a bit more exciting next season.

Effective though.

We're certainly not exciting, but I think when teams get called boring, the implication is that they are negative. Does that really apply to us? I don't think we are a team that plays for the 1-0 win. Even away, how often have we gone out with a plan to keep it tight, happy if it ends 0-0?

We're just really poor at turning possession into chances. There were many games at home where we were dominating, keeping the ball in the other team's half, but still creating almost nothing.

We have no pace, we break really poorly, often taking up bad positions which makes passing the ball, and carrying on a break difficult, and don't react up front.

Crossing isn't the best, but there have been many occasions where we've been attacking, and the cross is on, but there's nobody in the box to receive it. The attack stalls, the defence gets back, and chance has gone.

And also, if you are going to play a possession game, you need to know how to create chances when the other team has players back, and we don't seem to be able to do that.

The Informant

by The Informant » 03 Jun 2017 13:41

Don't let it ruin your Saturday mate.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 05 Jun 2017 03:43

Villa and Norwich Play offs Fulham Sheff Weds Sheff Utd Boro
Relegated Burton Millwall Barnsley

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 05 Jun 2017 08:38

tmesis
The Informant No doubting we are dull as oxf*rd to watch. Hoping we'll be a bit more exciting next season.

Effective though.

We're certainly not exciting, but I think when teams get called boring, the implication is that they are negative. Does that really apply to us? I don't think we are a team that plays for the 1-0 win. Even away, how often have we gone out with a plan to keep it tight, happy if it ends 0-0?

We're just really poor at turning possession into chances. There were many games at home where we were dominating, keeping the ball in the other team's half, but still creating almost nothing.

We have no pace, we break really poorly, often taking up bad positions which makes passing the ball, and carrying on a break difficult, and don't react up front.

Crossing isn't the best, but there have been many occasions where we've been attacking, and the cross is on, but there's nobody in the box to receive it. The attack stalls, the defence gets back, and chance has gone.

And also, if you are going to play a possession game, you need to know how to create chances when the other team has players back, and we don't seem to be able to do that.

That is difficult for any team to do when you don't have Messi, Suárez, Neymar and Iniesta.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 05 Jun 2017 16:27

Top Flight
tmesis

Effective though.

That is difficult for any team to do when you don't have Messi, Suárez, Neymar and Iniesta.

Dutch teams seem to manage it. In fact, if you play a possession game, that's exactly how you are supposed to create chances, rather than relying on crosses and pace.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Jun 2017 16:34

You don't need Messi, Suarez, Neymar or Iniesta to make runs off the ball and stretch the defence.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 Jun 2017 17:14

genome You don't need Messi, Suarez, Neymar or Iniesta to make runs off the ball and stretch the defence.
.... although it would certainly help.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Jun 2017 17:16

genome You don't need Messi, Suarez, Neymar or Iniesta to make runs off the ball and stretch the defence.

The only player with an inclination to do so last season was Mendes. Noticeable what a difference it made to have a player doing so..

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 05 Jun 2017 17:36

Pepe the Horseman Was expecting this to be full of "this season was a fluke, they'll get relegated." Agree that we'll win the league at a canter with sexy football.

"Tinpot club playing above their level and will get found out"
"Back to where they belong - struggling in the bottom half"
"Nice enough club but it's their fans I can't stand"
etc etc