Do you have another team?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Do you have another team?

by genome » 02 Jun 2017 09:35

Y21 No second team as such, but I echo the feelings about football. I don't feel the same connection to the club anymore, didn't renew my season ticket of the last 20 or so years and only went to one match this season. I think my apathy also coincided with a few seasons of dreadful football and results which made it harder and harder to make the effort and go to the games.

I don't know if my feeling about the club changed when Sir John sold the club. No longer is it a case of "we're all in this together" where you could feel that every pound you spent at the club shop was vital to the ongoing running of the club. It isn't plucky little Reading owned by local business man done good. It is just another foreign plaything/money laundering vehicle owned by a variety of faceless, voiceless entities who couldn't give a rat's arse about the town or the club, just what they can get out of it.

The amount and spread of money in the game is also ridiculous, and geared towards the very top. I cannot see how it can possibly be sustainable for clubs like Reading, carrying around a huge amount of debt and trying to compete.

Anyway, I'll shut up and carry on lurking.

It happens though. My Dad feels the same. Some people just grow out of things naturally, who knows, I may feel the same in decades to come, for various reasons.

The good thing is, we have plenty of young fans who are just getting into the game and will be supporters for many years. I feel the season just gone has got many people back on board.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 02 Jun 2017 09:38

I support one team: Reading (home town, been going since I was 4)

I follow a couple: Cruzeiro (wife's team/my Brazilian club), Southport (Haig Ave. reminds me of Reading when I was young), Dulwich Hamlet (local club where I'm based now)

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jun 2017 09:40

Anyway, to answer the OP:

Support: Reading

Follow/fond of: Tottenham (family connections)

All other clubs can do one

jar95

by jar95 » 02 Jun 2017 09:43

double d
jar95 and people wonder why are support is rubbish

You must be a NEMSA with spelling like that.

I'm actually embarrassed by that rookie mistake

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 02 Jun 2017 09:47

I find it a bit of an "eye rolling" thing to say that "I don't have a connection with the club" when you don't even go.

I had a season out and like you I just felt a disconnect. I didn't know the players, barely knew the squad, I wouldn't have recognised them in the street, etc....

But when you do start going, week in and week out, including away games you start to get to know the players, recognise the way they move, you see their reaction and (hopefully) see how much they care when you win and lose. This is particularly relevant to a smaller club like Reading, and you're one of 200 going to a Northern game you really feel a part of it with the players.

How can people expect to feel a connection and feel some sort of bond and relationship if you're sat at home with teletext on not even going?

jar95

by jar95 » 02 Jun 2017 10:15

bobby1413 I find it a bit of an "eye rolling" thing to say that "I don't have a connection with the club" when you don't even go.

I had a season out and like you I just felt a disconnect. I didn't know the players, barely knew the squad, I wouldn't have recognised them in the street, etc....

But when you do start going, week in and week out, including away games you start to get to know the players, recognise the way they move, you see their reaction and (hopefully) see how much they care when you win and lose. This is particularly relevant to a smaller club like Reading, and you're one of 200 going to a Northern game you really feel a part of it with the players.

How can people expect to feel a connection and feel some sort of bond and relationship if you're sat at home with teletext on not even going?

totally agree, this season has really made the 'proper fans' feel more part of the club than the recent seasons

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 02 Jun 2017 10:30

Reading are my team but I definitely don't care as much as I did a decade ago. I think you just get bored of it all after a while, particularly as you grow older and more cynical about these things.

My family team is Leeds - I would say I used to "support" them but these days I don't do anything more than wish them well.

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 02 Jun 2017 10:37

bobby1413 I find it a bit of an "eye rolling" thing to say that "I don't have a connection with the club" when you don't even go.

I had been going for the past 20 seasons, but lost the connection. Then stopped going. Bit different.

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 02 Jun 2017 10:40

Born and bred in Stockport, and so used to go to Stockport County quite a bit and now still follow their results, they're having a mare, same league as FC United and Salford City.

I do remember watching Alfie there at the start of his career, he was a local lad and so a hero, never been more pleased than when we signed him up.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Jun 2017 10:54

I only support Reading and have renewed my season ticket but it has been a bit of a chore and I have thought at times about missing games/switching to pay as you go supporting.

I have though generally lost some interest in football, I haven't watched MOTD for a couple of years, I don't watch the Championship either but do watch Reading highlights on the skysports app.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jun 2017 11:23

I do find the Premier League difficult to have much interest in nowadays. Likewise can't think of the last time I watched MOTD

The championship is an enjoyable league to watch to be fair and last season was great. Definitely got me interested again when the season before it was just an excuse to get out of the house

I keep an eye on Wimbledon - lived in the area for a long time as they were getting back into the league, and watched a couple of games there. Their supporters make ours look like working class oiks though - all men wearing rubbish designer scarves and bringing in sushi picnics

CountCowchula

by CountCowchula » 02 Jun 2017 11:24

Don't have another English team but do support St Pauli (have been to see them a couple of times).

I know football hipster...... also o*ford off newbie

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Jun 2017 12:18

double d I have been a fan of Reading since I have liked football, I have had a season ticket since 2001.... however in the last few years for some reason my support has just gone done quite a lot. I cannot put a finger on exactly what it is or when it was, I just do not feel the same passion as I used to feel. I used to get involved, sing my heart out, buy the shirts, cheer the team on, get upset if we lose and angry if we got cheated out of a win/played Neil Warnock and happy when we won. I even started a whole nightclub in Spain chant about Kevin Doyle, Sir Steve Coppell and Shane Long when we beat Southampton that night and then won the league that year. Lately though for some reason I just don't seem to care anymore. In the last few years I have now felt less and less passion about the team and the results. I still go and support the team when I do but now it feels nothing like it was. I think that this is probably just me getting sick and tired and fed up with football at this level in general. I do love watching football as a whole and I do find some of the games and moments so dramatic, but In the last few years I have found these moments to be watching Forest Green Rovers and not Reading so much. Family ties has given me access to FGR for free in the last year and a half and I have to say they are now my 2nd team. I feel that I get more excitement watching this league and this level of football then watching Reading. I do wish my hometown team and football in general can do something again so I am invested in it at this level. My question is do you have another team you have a soft spot for or support at all or are you reading die hard through and through. I think my problem is that I just don't care about football as much as I used to in general..... i would say it is a money thing mainly. I do and will always be fond of reading and the memories I have had!

100% agree, which is why I now watch non-league.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Jun 2017 12:31

Maidenhead United could become my second team, however I had the chance to go to a game and was put off by the £15 ticket price. If Twenty is Plenty for the championship then I'd expect Vanarama National League South or whatever league they were in at the time to be no more than a tenner.

Next season they're in the National League, one below League Two.

double d

by double d » 02 Jun 2017 12:34

jar95

totally agree, this season has really made the 'proper fans' feel more part of the club than the recent seasons

What is a proper fan? That is a ridiculous phrase and I hate it. There is no proper fan or non proper fan.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Jun 2017 12:46

Supported two teams equally this season.

The one that ended up finishing 3rd and some random impostors that ran around and got dicked 4-1 a couple of times, 7-1etc

RATM

by RATM » 02 Jun 2017 13:12

Iv'e only ever supported Reading although I was given a Nottingham Forest jumper when I was about 4.

Much of my extended family are from Nottingham and my cousin was in the youth team when Brian Clough was in charge. So I was happy they stayed up.

Incidentally my cousin had trials at Reading as well and couldn't believe how wide much wider Elm Park was compared to the city ground.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 02 Jun 2017 13:52

I used to really like Man Utd. These days I quite like Chelsea as I live in West London. Becoming increasingly fond of Tottenham, as I used to live in Seven Sisters.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 02 Jun 2017 14:32

One club for life and the cross I have to bear is RFC.

First match 20th August 1969 at EP. Block B seats with my old man lifting me over the turnstile. League cup replay against Colchester. Lost 3-0. Never waivered since.

(Team I 'look out' for is Celtic as first shirt I ever owned was green and white hoops bought from Edelston Sports in Caversham in '68. I was mesmerised - as were many a poor right back - by Bobby Lennox.)

Hate, in descending order, Aldersh*t, Swind*n, oxf*rd.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 02 Jun 2017 14:39

As you get older the passion fades. I was no where near as upset Monday as I was in 95. And going to games is more routine than exitement. But I really can't see the day when I won't renew my ST. They will alway's be my team whatever league we are in.