LWJ *cough*

I actually very nearly put "apart from LWJ" believe it or not

I went to like 1 less away game or something, why is he the super fan :cry:

Yes but you know we're mates already

3points
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Summer Ins and Outs

by 3points » 06 Aug 2017 15:39

I think we saw yesterday the issue of letting go players like Tanner, Stacey, etc. All have (limited) first team exposure and would be better than some of yesterday's bench options. Also I'd prefer to have Rakels and Meite still around and Cooper as squad players. Looks like we will need a busy couple of weeks to add some depth to a squad which we probably had last season.

But it does provide opportunities to the current crop of young players if Stam thinks they are good enough.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2017 17:14

I do wonder if Stam and co have been a little naive in letting the likes of Cooper and Dickie go so early - been better to have got the players in to replace them before letting them go.

As mentioned would have been far happier if these 2 along with Samuel, Rakels etc had been on the bench for this one even if they had no future at the club.

Great to have youngsters getting a chance, but not 3 on the bench at once without a league game between them

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 06 Aug 2017 22:25

Is there more going on than the club are alluding too? There has been a clear out of players. Many of whom could have a done job on Saturday. One assumes there's as yet unnamed targets that will become available once the premiership teams decide on their squads for next season. Moore and Blackett didn't join the club until the season had started last year. First game of last season McShane and VDB were the centre pairing in defence.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Aug 2017 23:50

Hound I do wonder if Stam and co have been a little naive in letting the likes of Cooper and Dickie go so early - been better to have got the players in to replace them before letting them go.

As mentioned would have been far happier if these 2 along with Samuel, Rakels etc had been on the bench for this one even if they had no future at the club.

Great to have youngsters getting a chance, but not 3 on the bench at once without a league game between them

I'm not sure that really had an affect on Saturday. We didn't lose because we had 6 on the bench, we didn't lose because we let go of Rakels, Samuel, Cooper and Dickie...etc

Would any of those players have made a difference? Potentially Rakels, but probably not. Regardless though I think it's a bit too easy to blame the defeat solely on a lack of quality and playing personnel. At the end of the day if even half of the players played to their ability it wouldn't have been quite so shit.

I'd use the Gilingham game to play the exact same team we will play against Fulham. Until we get new players in we need to work with what we've got and it was painfully apparent that the thing we need the most right now isn't a new striker or a quality winger, it's game time and match practise. Everyone had forgotten what to do and was on complete different wave lengths.

Obviously we don't see what goes on in training, but I think Stam should shoulder a large portion of the blame for not preparing his team adequately. It really was hopeless and I think it might be a good few games before we start to see tangible improvements that translate into results.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Aug 2017 06:52

Fair enough - I didn't make the game (thankfully)

You're right it probably wouldn't have made a huge difference on Saturday from the sound of it. Still we have a month now where we could have potentially used some of these players whereas now an injury to literally anyone and we are throwing In a youth player to start

Whatever, we need to get up to speed quickly. Have a tough little set of games and if we are to do anything this year don't want to be on 2/3 points after 5 games etc

327 posts