Summer Ins and Outs

327 posts
3points
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Summer Ins and Outs

by 3points » 24 Jun 2017 13:20

genome
3points Think it is sending strong signals that the younger fringe players don't see a decent route through to the first team under Stam. Lot of strength ahead of them.

He brought Liam Kelly through...

I get that. If you are good enough you will get the opportunity. But the bar has been raised at the moment.

It does make you wonder for how long it is worth clubs like Reading maintaining a Cat 1 academy due to the cost. I know of one former Premier League club that is looking to go down to Cat 3 and look to hoover up players like Jules, Tanner, etc now they are in League 1 and their annual budget is significantly reduced.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jun 2017 14:07

3points
genome
3points Think it is sending strong signals that the younger fringe players don't see a decent route through to the first team under Stam. Lot of strength ahead of them.

I get that. If you are good enough you will get the opportunity. But the bar has been raised at the moment.

It does make you wonder for how long it is worth clubs like Reading maintaining a Cat 1 academy due to the cost. I know of one former Premier League club that is looking to go down to Cat 3 and look to hoover up players like Jules, Tanner, etc now they are in League 1 and their annual budget is significantly reduced.

I think Kelly's potential justifies keeping the academy alone at the moment. Were we to sell him, we'd no doubt back a fair bit for him

Shame about Jules but couldn't really see him getting in the first team picture, so think he has made the right choice, and good luck to him

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 24 Jun 2017 14:53

3points
genome

No brainer. It'll always be worth investing in the academy if youre a club able of churning out players like Tschibola, Sigurdsson, Kelly, Obita, HRK, Mcarthy, Cooper, Hamer, Hector etc etc

bunkmoreland

by bunkmoreland » 24 Jun 2017 18:25

maffff
NewCorkSeth Was expecting more promotion from within under Stam. Jules was tipped by a lot of Nobbers who have seen him play so its interesting.

I suppose the fact he was offered a contract indicates Stam isn't clearing out for the sake of it.

He had a terrible loan at motherwell, maybe saw what happened to Kuhl and given we have Dickie and Andresson he thinks a permanent move will be best for his career. It's league one, so done pretty well to get that and hopefully he'll find his level over his career.

Afternoon, I'm a Motherwell fan I'd posted over in your academy thread when we took Jules on loan but thought I'd chip in here. I don't think it can really be overstated just how bad a time Jules had up here. He looked so far out his depth it was untrue. There's absolutely no chance he'd have been anywhere near your first team based on his performances at Motherwell. Off the top of my head I can think of at least 4 goals he was directly responsible for that arose from an error on his part, which given he only made 7 starts isn't that great going.

Jules wasn't helped by the fact we had something of a defensive crisis in that Stephen McManus, our only experienced centre half, was ruled out for the season in February when he was injured after 5 mins in the 2-0 loss to Celtic which caused all sorts of problems for the remainder of the games. Jules gave away a needless penalty for Celtic's opener in that game and it got worse the following week when he opened the scoring for Dundee with a headed OG from 14 yards in a 5-1 defeat where our defence just collapsed.

It was unfortunate for Jules as he was clearly brought in as cover but the more he played and the circumstances in which he was playing he looked like the classic Academy player who was used to having time on the ball and not actually having to defend. He was frequently caught in possession and struggled with the physical side of the game see Hearts 3rd below as an example.

He was prone to some exceptionally poor decision making, again he's only 19 so you expect mistakes it just seemed like every mistake he made it it was costing goals and points. Some of the errors he was making were proper horror shows best typified by his inexplicable decision where (having only been on the park 4 minutes) at 0-0 with 8 mins to go in a relegation scrap against Ross County he stopped a ball running out for a goal kick on the bye line (under no pressure), then try to play a 1-2 by squaring a ball into his own box. From the lost possession County scored and we lost 1-0. That was the last he set foot on the park for us.

Having said all that, he seems a nice lad and he's definitely an athlete but given he struggled for us in the Scottish Premiership, I honestly can't see where he'd have fitted in for a Reading side in the Championship. Hopefully the step down a level works out for him and he manages to cut out the errors in his game with more regular first team football.

JIM

by JIM » 24 Jun 2017 21:52

With about 6 weeks to go ,it is nice to see a long list of INs on this board, How many is it ,oh yes NONE,
May be we are waiting for a good player to come along ,out of the blue, It gives me great confidence with the improvement to the TEAM,
ha ha

double d

by double d » 24 Jun 2017 22:01

JIM With about 6 weeks to go ,it is nice to see a long list of INs on this board, How many is it ,oh yes NONE,
May be we are waiting for a good player to come along ,out of the blue, It gives me great confidence with the improvement to the TEAM,
ha ha

Hi DaveRoyal.
Piss off back to Oxford or Swindon you plastic

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Jun 2017 22:22

Oh the "irony" double dave

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jun 2017 07:16

Ins could start filling up soon. Tevreden posted a pic of him getting on a BA flight somewhere a couple of days ago with just the hashtags #busy #work

JIM

by JIM » 25 Jun 2017 07:45

double d
JIM With about 6 weeks to go ,it is nice to see a long list of INs on this board, How many is it ,oh yes NONE,
ha ha

Hi DaveRoyal.
Piss off back to Oxford or Swindon you plastic

Finish your sentence you half

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 25 Jun 2017 08:34

Stranded Ins could start filling up soon. Tevreden posted a pic of him getting on a BA flight somewhere a couple of days ago with just the hashtags #busy #work

Looked like an Amsterdam flight from T5

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Jun 2017 10:14

LWJ
Stranded Ins could start filling up soon. Tevreden posted a pic of him getting on a BA flight somewhere a couple of days ago with just the hashtags #busy #work

And what cologne was he wearing Poirot?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jun 2017 12:04

NewCorkSeth
LWJ

And what cologne was he wearing Poirot?

We're signing Modeste and Jonas Hector!?! Wow.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 25 Jun 2017 17:38

LWJ

T5 London City Airport?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 26 Jun 2017 08:00

Jack Stacey is joining another former nearly-Royal in the form of Lawson D'Ath at Luton.

I thought he was going to be something. Oh well, clearly not.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jun 2017 08:38

As with Jules and Fosu, can't blame Stacey for moving for what I presume will be a regular place in a first team squad

Are there any other youngsters remaining out of contract that could be about to jump ship as well?

That said, any clue as to how much Reading got for Stacey as he only signed a new 3 year deal last summer according to media reports.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Jun 2017 08:56

Sutekh As with Jules and Fosu, can't blame Stacey for moving for what I presume will be a regular place in a first team squad

Are there any other youngsters remaining out of contract that could be about to jump ship as well?

That said, any clue as to how much Reading got for Stacey as he only signed a new 3 year deal last summer according to media reports.

He did indeed: https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2015/october/stacey-signs-new-royals-deal/

Obviously we've decided we want to clear out a few of the older academy players that we don't think are going to make it. Makes sense I suppose - better off focusing on the younger ones coming through that have more chance of making it.

Stacey has always been a tidy player but lacked a little bit of quality.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Jun 2017 08:56

OP upd8ed with Stacey and Jules

I've put both as "undisclosed" - I know there will be some fee for Jules due to us offering him a new deal. I guess there will have been a fee for Stacey too.

Shame to see these youngsters go, but I guess Stam & Brian want to thin out the squad a bit. Jules was perhaps the only one sold so far that I could realistically see doing a "Liam Kelly" next season. I think he'll be back in the Championship in a few years. Hopefully we put a buy-back in the deal!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 26 Jun 2017 09:07

genome Jules was perhaps the only one sold so far that I could realistically see doing a "Liam Kelly" next season. I think he'll be back in the Championship in a few years. Hopefully we put a buy-back in the deal!

If he plays like he did at Motherwell he'll go the way of Kuhl. Who knows tbh.

Oddly Stacey was the one I thought was closest to the first team, but even he was a year away. Given he isn't getting younger it's probably right to trim the first team down, we've still got a lot of good youngsters around.

Shame to see the 2014 cup winning team almost entirely dismantled though.

Only Keown, Cooper and Kelly remain from the starters, Ward from the bench. Cooper and Keown surely it's only a matter of time until they move on.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Jun 2017 09:09

maffff
genome Jules was perhaps the only one sold so far that I could realistically see doing a "Liam Kelly" next season. I think he'll be back in the Championship in a few years. Hopefully we put a buy-back in the deal!

If he plays like he did at Motherwell he'll go the way of Kuhl. Who knows tbh.

I thought he was quite highly r8ed there? I might be mixing him up with someone else. :oops:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Jun 2017 09:11

it seems that every club in the country is developing young players for clubs lower down the structure.

Ours get cast off to League 1 and 2, and we get cast offs from the Premier League.

Then the PL itself gets them in from outside the U.K.

All seems a bit weird really.

327 posts