Sunderland Crap

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Sunderland Crap

by Sutekh » 27 Jun 2017 10:17

John Smith
Jackson Corner What would the average Sunderland fan want from his or hers away day? A trip to an art gallery? Maybe a chance that the local Shakespeare company are putting on a production of The Merchant Of Venice? Perhaps the film club maybe running a season of Federico Fellini films? My guess would be Wetherspoons would cater there needs. Cheap food beers and Sky football.

Did anyone else read this in a Basil Fawlty voice, like the episode when the woman complains about the view from her room?

Spot on point though Jackson's Corner.

Plus a Beefeater is starting to appear on the old HP site. What more could an away fan want. :lol:

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 27 Jun 2017 11:24

John Smith
Jackson Corner What would the average Sunderland fan want from his or hers away day? A trip to an art gallery? Maybe a chance that the local Shakespeare company are putting on a production of The Merchant Of Venice? Perhaps the film club maybe running a season of Federico Fellini films? My guess would be Wetherspoons would cater there needs. Cheap food beers and Sky football.

Did anyone else read this in a Basil Fawlty voice, like the episode when the woman complains about the view from her room?

I didn't - but I have now. Glorious, thank you!

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 27 Jun 2017 13:00

All well and good arguing and listing the cultural virtues of our beloved town, but from a football awayday perspective the Madejski undoubtedly ranks up there with Coventry and MK Dons as the worst in the country unfortunately.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jun 2017 13:08

handbags_harris All well and good arguing and listing the cultural virtues of our beloved town, but from a football awayday perspective the Madejski undoubtedly ranks up there with Coventry and MK Dons as the worst in the country unfortunately.

well yes its not great. Can make a decent day of it by getting to the town early, but there is nothing much of interest near the stadium

the issue was someone from Sunderland slating Reading as a town. Which is a bit like Piers Morgan calling someone a tw@t

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 27 Jun 2017 14:29

'how many other towns have John Lewis, House or Fraser, Debenhams within a short walk of each other?'

Most large towns I've been to.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 27 Jun 2017 18:05

Norfolk Royal 'how many other towns have John Lewis, House or Fraser, Debenhams within a short walk of each other?'

Most large towns I've been to.

Towns? I think most fair size cities do, but would be surprised at towns.

Ultimately Reading is about as exciting as most medium size cities in the UK. But is of course a town...

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 27 Jun 2017 18:45

Perhaps if we get promoted we can put Reading on the map by emulating or even besting Sunderland's magnificent 15 point haul in their record breaking 2005-6 season. Maybe then we'll earn their respect :D

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 Jul 2017 17:48

TBF Reading probably isn't the best away day, doubly so if you live in Sunderland

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Jul 2017 13:34

Davezk

by Davezk » 07 Jul 2017 15:27

Hound Full of angry white men

Seriously fcuk off :lol:

Why does the colour of their skin matter?

If you said any other colour other than white it would be called racist.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2017 15:53

Davezk
Hound Full of angry white men

Seriously fcuk off :lol:

Why does the colour of their skin matter?

If you said any other colour other than white it would be called racist.

yeah maybe so. Still true though.

Also that's a little out of context. I was arguing Reading wasn't boring due to its multicultural nature. Obv it's a different argument if you felt that doesn't make it an interesting place

Can you be racist about someone of the same skin colour as you by the way? Genuinely don't know the answer on that.
Last edited by Hound on 07 Jul 2017 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 07 Jul 2017 16:04

What I want to know is that if watching your team away at Reading is so horrible, why do we constantly get away fans in record numbers?!

It is fans from dying parts of the UK that are forced to work in the economic hub that is the Thames Valley and resent the locals. Or its fans complaining about soulless out of town areas that end up picking the madejski as an away trip due to the M4 access...

Its quite easy to complain about out-of-town stadiums or older stadiums in post-industrial desolate areas of norther towns but then what are you left with? Leafier areas of London like Fulham and Brentford?

I think the sour grapes are more to do with our sensational home record since the turn of the millennium. I'm not sure there is a more inoffensive club than us that gets so much scorn but then I don't think there is a single club with the same contrast between their first 80 years in the football league and the last 16 years...

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 07 Jul 2017 17:24

Z175
I think the sour grapes are more to do with our sensational home record since the turn of the millennium. I'm not sure there is a more inoffensive club than us that gets so much scorn but then I don't think there is a single club with the same contrast between their first 80 years in the football league and the last 16 years...

Football fans have a strange dislike of clubs moving up from their traditional level. They don't mind clubs having their day in the sun for a year or two, but expect them to disappear back to where they came from with a patronising pat on the head.

The former peers of clubs that rise hate them for having done what they've failed to do, and will for years insist they are still the same club as before, and will sink back down once the novelty wears off. They'll treat them with the same inverse snobbery that people who made something for themselves will get from the council estate they used to live on.

Fans of clubs in the higher division, their new peers, will look down on them as somehow not worthy of their new elevated status, as they haven't been there for decades, and therefore haven't "earned" their place.

In many way the "quite big, but not as big as genuinely big" club fans are the worst, as the seek to convince all and sundry that they are nearer clubs like Manchester United than they are to the clubs they currently share a division with.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 07 Jul 2017 19:18

Although we may have different opinions on Sunderland as a town, I would like to give my sincerest condolences to Bradley Lowery's family and I hope Bradley didn't suffer at the end of his life. Thankfully he is now resting in peace and his last moments were with his family which made the situation a bit better. Hopefully Sunderland will do well next season in memory of him and I hope that they create a permanent memorial of him at the Stadium of Light, he's an inspiration to us all.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Jul 2017 19:57

More Sunderland crap. They're losing 2-0 to Bury.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2017 20:35

RoyalJones Although we may have different opinions on Sunderland as a town, I would like to give my sincerest condolences to Bradley Lowery's family and I hope Bradley didn't suffer at the end of his life. Thankfully he is now resting in peace and his last moments were with his family which made the situation a bit better. Hopefully Sunderland will do well next season in memory of him and I hope that they create a permanent memorial of him at the Stadium of Light, he's an inspiration to us all.

Absolutely. Sure we all share that sentiment - a horrible disease and I hope the little lad didn't suffer too much

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 07 Jul 2017 21:11

RoyalJones Although we may have different opinions on Sunderland as a town, I would like to give my sincerest condolences to Bradley Lowery's family and I hope Bradley didn't suffer at the end of his life. Thankfully he is now resting in peace and his last moments were with his family which made the situation a bit better. Hopefully Sunderland will do well next season in memory of him and I hope that they create a permanent memorial of him at the Stadium of Light, he's an inspiration to us all.

Well said

Davezk

by Davezk » 07 Jul 2017 23:27

Bradley is one of many children who have suffered such diseases and whilst this individual case is sad, I don't think it should be sensationalised into a tragedy any further than any other child who has suffered a similar fate.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 Jul 2017 00:53

Davezk Bradley is one of many children who have suffered such diseases and whilst this individual case is sad, I don't think it should be sensationalised into a tragedy any further than any other child who has suffered a similar fate.

As harsh as it sounds this 100%.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Jul 2017 09:07

CountryRoyal
Davezk Bradley is one of many children who have suffered such diseases and whilst this individual case is sad, I don't think it should be sensationalised into a tragedy any further than any other child who has suffered a similar fate.

As harsh as it sounds this 100%.

I don't think it is. It's just more that he became quite well known because of it, so it got more coverage.