CONFIMRED - Andy Yiadom

178 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Andy Yiadom

by Hound » 18 May 2018 09:04

Interesting that BT (who has finally resurfaced) said we'd been after him a long time, as was the rumour.

Wonder what the thinking is with Gunter. Obvs Yiadom hasn't been brought in as back up and wouldn't have been last season. Start of an interesting pre-season I think

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 May 2018 10:27

Hound Interesting that BT (who has finally resurfaced) said we'd been after him a long time, as was the rumour.

Wonder what the thinking is with Gunter. Obvs Yiadom hasn't been brought in as back up and wouldn't have been last season. Start of an interesting pre-season I think

So we were after him at the same time as offering a longer contract to Gunter. Seems to me that it's been obvious for a while that competition and backup was needed for full-backs. Also have noted that, like Gunter, he plays left back as well as right-back. So you've probably (once Obita is fit) got three senior full-backs competing each week for two positions. (With Blackett, Bacuna, Watson and Richards as additional backup etc)

Sounds good to me.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 May 2018 10:35

yep, and also wouldn't personally be against playing either Obita or Yiadom as wide midfielders in the right circumstances

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 May 2018 10:46

Courtney Friday whinging on Twitter that the club "blanked" him over the transfer, and that he called it anyway

I'm pretty sure he didn't call it

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 May 2018 10:50

genome Courtney Friday whinging on Twitter that the club "blanked" him over the transfer, and that he called it anyway

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 May 2018 11:00

genome Courtney Friday whinging on Twitter that the club "blanked" him over the transfer, and that he called it anyway

That bloke is an utter tool. I am shocked the club still let him attend press conferences etc. The players hate the bloke, especially Gunter. Shocking excuse of a reporter.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 May 2018 11:01

Old Man Andrews

That bloke is an utter tool. I am shocked the club still let him attend press conferences etc. The players hate the bloke, especially Gunter. Shocking excuse of a reporter.

Yeah I enjoy Gunter's pops at him.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 May 2018 11:07

genome
Old Man Andrews

Yeah I enjoy Gunter's pops at him.

Friday also "broke" the Fernando Forestieri story :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 18 May 2018 11:14

royalp-we Delighted the club have finalised this. Had a few clubs after him, good age, willing to learn and has qualities a captain possesses.

Good eye for goal when at Barnet too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NzrXzp9z66o

Although that eye for goal appeared to have deserted him at Barnsley where he failed to score at all in 64 games.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 May 2018 11:53

Norfolk Royal
royalp-we Delighted the club have finalised this. Had a few clubs after him, good age, willing to learn and has qualities a captain possesses.

Good eye for goal when at Barnet too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NzrXzp9z66o

Although that eye for goal appeared to have deserted him at Barnsley where he failed to score at all in 64 games.

Wearing No 7 at Barnet which suggests, like Obita, he's a converted winger.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 18 May 2018 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 May 2018 11:54

played Winger for Barnet and full back for Barnsley

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 May 2018 12:00

I like this signing more and more. More on field leadership, greater depth and potentially more tactical flexibility without breaking the bank.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 18 May 2018 12:07

Losing is a bad habit to get into. Players get nervous, hide, and underperform on a losing streak. Bringing in a player who experienced relegation might not be the best way to break the cycle of underachievement.

Not a bad signing in and of itself, but we also need some players added to the current squad who have recent from of winning, even if that means at a lower level or from a different country.

Basildon

by Basildon » 18 May 2018 12:20

Armadillo Roadkill Losing is a bad habit to get into. Players get nervous, hide, and underperform on a losing streak. Bringing in a player who experienced relegation might not be the best way to break the cycle of underachievement.

Not a bad signing in and of itself, but we also need some players added to the current squad who have recent from of winning, even if that means at a lower level or from a different country.

Have to agree with this. Looking at the players signed last summer, barring Aluko and possibly Clement (don't really know how he was doing before us) they all came from teams on the back of a poor season. Wouldn't hurt to bring in a few with a winning mentality.

Solid signing though, definitely need some competition/replacement for Gunts.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 18 May 2018 12:27

Basildon
Armadillo Roadkill Losing is a bad habit to get into. Players get nervous, hide, and underperform on a losing streak. Bringing in a player who experienced relegation might not be the best way to break the cycle of underachievement.

Have to agree with this. Looking at the players signed last summer, barring Aluko and possibly Clement (don't really know how he was doing before us) they all came from teams on the back of a poor season. Wouldn't hurt to bring in a few with a winning mentality.

Solid signing though, definitely need some competition/replacement for Gunts.

I agree.

Whoever wins the world cup we should just buy their best striker and midfielder. Problem sorted 8)

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 18 May 2018 12:28

I mentioned this at the beginning of the season after signing Bacuna and Mannone, as well as players who'd been in struggling teams like Barrow after Leeds implosion, Edwards, and Bodvarsson from a struggling Wolves too and others who i've probably forgotten about.

However, I do like this signing as he seemed good enough before Barnsley were on a spiral, and I think he performed while patiently waiting for getting out.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 May 2018 14:00

Old Man Andrews
Elm Park Kid Sounds like a sensible signing given our ambitions at the moment. He'll probably move between LB and RB cover for most of next season before fully replacing Gunter the one after.

Next on the target list is someone in midfield who can make things happen and a decent striker.

He's 26 and signed a 4 year deal, he's not here as cover. Gunter will be sold, absolute guarantee.

Agree, I don't see him as cover. This signing could have a trickle down affect for some others, too. There may be less opportunities now for the likes of Blackett or Ilori to masquerade as full-backs. Which could presumably mean they either cut it full time at CB, or not...

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 May 2018 14:07

Denver Royal
Old Man Andrews
Elm Park Kid Sounds like a sensible signing given our ambitions at the moment. He'll probably move between LB and RB cover for most of next season before fully replacing Gunter the one after.

Next on the target list is someone in midfield who can make things happen and a decent striker.

He's 26 and signed a 4 year deal, he's not here as cover. Gunter will be sold, absolute guarantee.

Agree, I don't see him as cover. This signing could have a trickle down affect for some others, too. There may be less opportunities now for the likes of Blackett or Ilori to masquerade as full-backs. Which could presumably mean they either cut it full time at CB, or not...

If they sell Gunter they need to get in another full-back. Clement was complaining about lack of competition/backup - how is that solved by doing a one-in one-out replacement? Especially since Obita will only be coming back from injury.

Might happen at Christmas though, if Obita comes back well in the first half of the season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 May 2018 14:17

reckon they'll try to loan out Watson. Richards is only good for cover imo at the moment.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 18 May 2018 14:18

Denver Royal
Old Man Andrews

Not sure Illori was masquerading as a full back. He got moved there against Ipswich when Richards limped off and Gunter switched sides then played at Cardiff because we had no one else to play right back, given Gunter was playing left back to cover Richards and Obita and Clements wanted Bacuna in a midfield that was set up to get us the point we needed. I think that's called doing a job for your team.

178 posts