259 posts
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: RUMOUR - Lewis baker

by Maneki Neko » 10 Jan 2019 12:11

Vision
leon
Vision
Little point in the club appointing Gomes and then expecting him to go all "Pulis" though surely.

Like it or not, Gomes has a way he wants us to play and we've committed ourselves to it. In that sense if one of the two signings so far fulfils the potential they showed at a younger age (Baker in particular) and we can find that all elusive goalscorer for this system then it will give us our best chance to survive.

Also this is still a squad who from a footballing point of view is far more suited to how Gomes wants to play than say a Pulis or a Parkinson. Our best bet is to utilise what we already have and supplement it. If we want to be more direct then I'd suggest we'd need even more of an overhaul in personnel than we do right now.

I don't think anyone would deny for the last season and a half (probably even earlier) we simply haven't created enough chances for the strikers we have. Adding these two attempts to address that. Of course it's all moot if we don't bring in ( or develop from within) a goalscorer who also fits the style and can benefit from it. But signing these two players doesn't mean that player won't arrive or emerge.

FWIW, as much as I realise this is a minority view, I think McNulty might well have been that player but I guess we'll never know.

I'd also like to see how Barrow would get on down the middle but that's even more of a minority view ;-)

Whilst I get your points re playing style (but not Barrow...) we're not even doing the basics right. I think any decent coach/manager drilling the team could improve that area.

The fear is that Gomes will make the same mistakes that Clement (and to an extent Stam and Clarke) made in not bolstering the defensive side of the midfield (JVdB was just not any good at it) and we'll lose possession and be overrun by teams in the middle.

I honestly think it's a mental thing as much as ability or even signings. Swansea was obviously an aberration but Gomes himself recognised that and highlighted the issues pretty succinctly. Other than that there was no sign against a physical Millwall with only 10 men, an inform QPR and Manchester Utd at Old Trafford that we aren't organised enough not to be overrun in midfield. In fact I'd say the main reason we didn't get better results in those games was more down to lack of killer instinct both in creativity and execution in the final 3rd.

and the inability of our defence to stop silly mistakes turning into goals at the other end

or: we don't score enough and let in too many

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 10 Jan 2019 12:13

we miss that player who can do both the defensive and attacking sides

a midfielder

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jan 2019 12:23

Maneki Neko

a midfielder

Rare these days you can find a complete central midfielder. Kids these days are normally coached to be either a holding midfielder or an attacking one. Last one we had was Williams and before him Sidwell. We don't get them that often.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2019 12:53

had a quick scan through a few youtube vids of Baker.

One thing I'd say is he is a bigger physical presence than I thought. Looks a fairly strong 6ft. Reckon he's pencilled in for one of those 2 DM slots alongside (or possibly instead of at times, Rino). Dunno if he can tackle. More of a Bacuna replacement than another Ejaria

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Jan 2019 13:06

Hendo
WoodleyRoyal last good loan? probably Steve Blatherwick

2 best loan signings were:

Matthew Upson
Glen Little

There can be only one loan king.

Steve Mautone! (Here on loan!)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Jan 2019 13:07

Agree on McNulty

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jan 2019 13:12

People forget McNulty has had chances and he has blown it on the whole. The coaches and managers see him every day in training too, do you not think that if he was fantastic and Championship level he wouldn't be playing? We simply do not play the style that suits his basic game so effectively he will become completely impotent in games as we have seen when he has played. I think we should loan him out to a League 1 side and see if he can build up some confidence between now and the summer. Should we go down I think he could then do a job in League 1 next season. Just can't see any potential there for him to do well in the Championship.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 10 Jan 2019 13:20

Hendo
WoodleyRoyal last good loan? probably Steve Blatherwick

2 best loan signings were:

Matthew Upson
Glen Little

Little was really average on his loan spell. He even admitted as much at the FPA night last year. No doubting his pedigree once he signed mind.

Upson was different class. Upson and Glenn Murray have been arguably the two best loan players we never signed. :cry:

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 10 Jan 2019 13:22

Old Man Andrews People forget McNulty has had chances and he has blown it on the whole. The coaches and managers see him every day in training too, do you not think that if he was fantastic and Championship level he wouldn't be playing? We simply do not play the style that suits his basic game so effectively he will become completely impotent in games as we have seen when he has played. I think we should loan him out to a League 1 side and see if he can build up some confidence between now and the summer. Should we go down I think he could then do a job in League 1 next season. Just can't see any potential there for him to do well in the Championship.

I have often thought he makes really good runs that are never spotted.

And yeah, away from that he's ineffective.

It has been a long, long time since we played a Striker's strengths. We just buy random strikers and expect them to fit in. Its like successive 'coaches' have decided scoring goals is a bonus thing. Oh for a 'Manager'

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: Confirmed Lewis Baker on Loan

by WoodleyRoyal » 10 Jan 2019 13:23

URZZZZ
SCIAG
paultheroyal
Just don’t understand this kind of post. One of many. Has it not occurred to anyone that the current midfield dynamos are just not very good and need a kick up the backside. Replaced with new energy, better schooling etc? Just a thought.

Consensus seems to be that Rinomhota and Swift are our two best performers right now and that when he's fit Ezatolahi has to play. Regardless of how you think Bacuna and Kelly have been playing, we can't fit five midfielders into two or three slots.

Swift and Baker have the same education.

Agreed, add Aluko into the mix as well

Can't stress how much we need a winger instead of stockpiling midfielders

It looks to me from the signings we've been making that we are moving away from using wingers
sims sent back
barrow not in the manager plans
aluko moved into a more central role
Popa moved on
Clemment moved on.

I think we will be packing the centre of the midfield - hence the new signings and will look to our fullbacks for the width.

As it stands we only have 3 wingers left at the club McCleary, who days are numbered, barrow who can't get in the team and Harriott

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jan 2019 13:26

WoodleyRoyal
URZZZZ
SCIAG Consensus seems to be that Rinomhota and Swift are our two best performers right now and that when he's fit Ezatolahi has to play. Regardless of how you think Bacuna and Kelly have been playing, we can't fit five midfielders into two or three slots.

It looks to me from the signings we've been making that we are moving away from using wingers
sims sent back
Popa moved on
Clemment moved on.

I think we will be packing the centre of the midfield - hence the new signings and will look to our fullbacks for the width.

As it stands we only have 3 wingers left at the club McCleary, who days are numbered, barrow who can't get in the team and Harriott

Not sure I'd agree on Barrow. Been involved in all of Gomes' games so far hasn't he? Would have thought he'd have been one of the first to be listed if Gomes didn't want him as he has resell value.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 10 Jan 2019 13:33

Old Man Andrews
WoodleyRoyal
URZZZZ

sims sent back
Popa moved on
Clemment moved on.

Not sure I'd agree on Barrow. Been involved in all of Gomes' games so far hasn't he? Would have thought he'd have been one of the first to be listed if Gomes didn't want him as he has resell value.

Having only three wingers at the club and multiple Centre midders plus signing more, would suggest a move away from using a formation with wingers though. would you not agree?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jan 2019 13:35

WoodleyRoyal
Old Man Andrews
WoodleyRoyal
sims sent back
Popa moved on
Clemment moved on.

Having only three wingers at the club and multiple Centre midders plus signing more, would suggest a move away from using a formation with wingers though. would you not agree?

Well Eljaria can be a winger plus we still have 20 days left of the transfer window, lets see what we have when it shuts. Think we will then see what Gomes will be doing for sure. Don't forget Baldock and Meite can also play on the wing too.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 10 Jan 2019 13:50

So it points towards getting in players with clever movement and the ability to carve up opponents. Rather than using classic wing play of stretching the play, beating your man and putting a ball into the box.
Barrow can beat players using pace but thats about it. McCleary used to be able to be a proper winger - not so much anymore and Harriot has only come back and god knows how his body will hold up.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2019 14:06

Putting Barrow at No 10 is something I've thought about and suggested for a while, though less so since he's been rubbish this season.

It'd get him out of most of the defensive duty in our half he doesn't do anyway.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 10 Jan 2019 16:01

Old Man Andrews
Maneki Neko

a midfielder

Rare these days you can find a complete central midfielder. Kids these days are normally coached to be either a holding midfielder or an attacking one.

and it makes me ruddy sick

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 10 Jan 2019 16:06

WoodleyRoyal
URZZZZ
SCIAG Consensus seems to be that Rinomhota and Swift are our two best performers right now and that when he's fit Ezatolahi has to play. Regardless of how you think Bacuna and Kelly have been playing, we can't fit five midfielders into two or three slots.

sims sent back
Popa moved on
Clemment moved on.

don't have any wing backs either, or any decent CBs.

looks like we will be just playing centre midfielders.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Jan 2019 16:15

Maneki Neko
WoodleyRoyal
URZZZZ

sims sent back
Popa moved on
Clemment moved on.

don't have any wing backs either, or any decent CBs.

looks like we will be just playing centre midfielders.

If we decided to use wing backs I’d reckon Yiadon/Bacuna and Obita*/Richards would be a pretty reasonable set of options
*subject to confirmed sightings

With a reliable keeper and support from midfield then Moore is a decent start at the back. I also think Blackett has improved a lot and am confident Osho and McIntyre are a run of games away from being genuine contenders. I’d be looking to get a solid short term partner for Moore though.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 10 Jan 2019 16:33

Some decent loans from Chelsea previously in Chalobah, Ake and the unforgettable David Lee but then we also had Piazon.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Jan 2019 16:38

Victor Meldrew Some decent loans from Chelsea previously in Chalobah, Ake and the unforgettable David Lee but then we also had Piazon.

And of course they paid us £5 million to take Hector on loan.....

259 posts