Striker Concerns

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Striker Concerns

by Oilroyal » 16 Jul 2017 15:12

Hound Noticed Krul and Darlow both left out of Newcastle's squad for their pre season games. Suggests both prob moving on

both would be good signings although I'd prefer Darlow. I think it's just a waiting game for now, for most clubs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jul 2017 15:28

Either would be a statement of intent, but i reckon we'll start the season with Anssi

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jul 2017 16:10

Oilroyal Jaap’s already said that he's after a keeper with championship experience, quoting Button from Fulham but Fulham dont want to deal. In the GR interview, he also said that the money Norwich expects for Oliveira is ridiculous, meaning we have made an offer, he also mentioned high wage demands. I still believe the Oliveira deal could happen but will take time for both clubs to find the middle ground. Reading will need to increase their offer and Norwich to lower their price to meet in the middle. Talk of us looking aboard adds pressure to any ongoing negotiations for any UK based players we’re currently looking at or in decision with.

And a goal scoring midfielder. Now that Quinns back, we have Swift, Kelly and Clement who all fit that role. I would prefer we sign another championship experienced defensive mid adding to Evans and JVB.

I don't really see Kelly fitting the goalscoring mode. He was most effective deeper for us as the fulcrum of the team. And is Quinn definitely back and fit? For how long?

We're definitely a bit light in midfield now with Williams, Weiser, Mutch and Gravenberch (admittedly the latter three didn't contribute a lot), gone plus Quinn's availability being unreliable.

I tend to see us wanting to play a workhorse who can do the defensive gruntwork and get up and down the pitch a bit: Evans, Berg and maybe Quinn, a playmaker who can dictate the tempo of our game and distribute through the midfield: Kelly, Berg a bit, and someone who can link midfield to attack and create something: Swift, maybe Barrett, maybe the new guy Clement.

I think we are least reliable with the goalscoring midfielders, but I'd take anyone good who could bolster any of those slots.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 16 Jul 2017 17:58

Royal_jimmy The club will do what they do every year.. Lose a few top players and then spend sod all cash in the summer then when our paper thin squad show that they are not good enough by losing a few games at the start of the season, the club panic and buy 3-4 players during the last week of the transfer window

Has this ever happened? At least in recent history?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 16 Jul 2017 18:07

Jagermesiter1871
Royal_jimmy The club will do what they do every year.. Lose a few top players and then spend sod all cash in the summer then when our paper thin squad show that they are not good enough by losing a few games at the start of the season, the club panic and buy 3-4 players during the last week of the transfer window

Has this ever happened? At least in recent history?

No it hasn't. But we are living in a world where people voted to leave the EU based on invented problems so this is a minor transgression!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 16 Jul 2017 20:56

Lets be real here. We have lost two accomplished players in key positions this summer in Williams and AAH and are significantly weaker as it stands headed into next season. Bodvarsson strikes me as a Mackie type player. Works hard, good attitude, liked by a decent section of Wolves fans but also has an appalling goal scoring record wherever he has played. We needed a 20 goal a season striker prior this transfer window and so far we haven't got that. If he has been brought in to supplement a future signing then its a good move and I don't have any objections, however if we are expecting this guy to be our main striker this window then its a huge gamble and a probable fail based on his track record.

With all the noise about cash available with the new investors there has been no real intent yet. A few nice rumors linking us to people like Darlow and Oliveria but If we end up with Button ( who Fulham fans think is shit) as our main GK next season, as well as more of these cheap young punts from Holland we are going to have regressed since last season. We need a proven goalscorer, a goalkeeper and someone with Williams capabilities in center mid. I can see Stam leaving by Christmas if we haven't signed those type of proven quality players and are not comfortably in the playoff mix. We don't need a huge makeover, we need to supplement a core of both good youngsters and experienced players with a couple of additions. That is not too much to ask in today's climate if you have ambitions to compete and keep us moving in the right direction. All the noise from the Thai's who never really delivered, now the Chinese have started off on the same foot. Loads going out, not much in yet. Its time to put up and stop whinging about prices, everyone has to pay them, football isn't going to give us a discount because we think its unreasonable.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jul 2017 21:02

I love how people always talk about needing a 20 goal a season striker, like they grow on trees, and like we've never been successful without one, and like Kermongant didn't score 19 goals last season, and like we won't be signing anyone else.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jul 2017 21:10

I'd certainly say we are a lot stronger than we were this time last season though

I think the back 4/5 look very strong, the midfield all have a good solid years experience behind them whereas they were very inexperienced in the champ last year. Beerens, Popa, Harriott and McCleary are good wingers.

I don't think Jon Dadi is a risk at all - I think we know exactly what you'll get from him.

BT and Stam obv have to find a keeper and additional forward, but we aren't miles off

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 16 Jul 2017 21:23

Snowflake Royal I love how people always talk about needing a 20 goal a season striker, like they grow on trees, and like we've never been successful without one, and like Kermongant didn't score 19 goals last season, and like we won't be signing anyone else.

Who said they grow on trees? Thats why we will have to pay the going rate. When you look back at our successful years as well as previous teams promoted in recent years, most of them include strikers around the 20 goal mark. In fact i'm pretty sure the last four teams to obtain automatic promotion all had strikers that hit 20 or above.

Re Kermogant; he is injured for a minimum of three months and considering early retirement in case you've been sleeping.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 16 Jul 2017 21:27

FiNeRaIn Re Kermogant; he is considering early retirement in case you've been sleeping.

:lol:

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Jul 2017 22:21

FiNeRaIn Lets be real here. We have lost two accomplished players in key positions this summer in Williams and AAH and are significantly weaker as it stands headed into next season. Bodvarsson strikes me as a Mackie type player. Works hard, good attitude, liked by a decent section of Wolves fans but also has an appalling goal scoring record wherever he has played. We needed a 20 goal a season striker prior this transfer window and so far we haven't got that. If he has been brought in to supplement a future signing then its a good move and I don't have any objections, however if we are expecting this guy to be our main striker this window then its a huge gamble and a probable fail based on his track record.

With all the noise about cash available with the new investors there has been no real intent yet. A few nice rumors linking us to people like Darlow and Oliveria but If we end up with Button ( who Fulham fans think is shit) as our main GK next season, as well as more of these cheap young punts from Holland we are going to have regressed since last season. We need a proven goalscorer, a goalkeeper and someone with Williams capabilities in center mid. I can see Stam leaving by Christmas if we haven't signed those type of proven quality players and are not comfortably in the playoff mix. We don't need a huge makeover, we need to supplement a core of both good youngsters and experienced players with a couple of additions. That is not too much to ask in today's climate if you have ambitions to compete and keep us moving in the right direction. All the noise from the Thai's who never really delivered, now the Chinese have started off on the same foot. Loads going out, not much in yet. Its time to put up and stop whinging about prices, everyone has to pay them, football isn't going to give us a discount because we think its unreasonable.

Yet more of the same sh*te we get from the same twats summer after tedious summer :|

Come September 1st you might have something to complain about................................if not, please slit your wrists quietly,.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 16 Jul 2017 23:06

Woodcote Royal
FiNeRaIn Lets be real here. We have lost two accomplished players in key positions this summer in Williams and AAH and are significantly weaker as it stands headed into next season. Bodvarsson strikes me as a Mackie type player. Works hard, good attitude, liked by a decent section of Wolves fans but also has an appalling goal scoring record wherever he has played. We needed a 20 goal a season striker prior this transfer window and so far we haven't got that. If he has been brought in to supplement a future signing then its a good move and I don't have any objections, however if we are expecting this guy to be our main striker this window then its a huge gamble and a probable fail based on his track record.

Yet more of the same sh*te we get from the same twats summer after tedious summer :|

Come September 1st you might have something to complain about................................if not, please slit your wrists quietly,.

Why doesn't he do it now, just, like, in case? So he's prepared?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jul 2017 23:07

FiNeRaIn
Snowflake Royal I love how people always talk about needing a 20 goal a season striker, like they grow on trees, and like we've never been successful without one, and like Kermongant didn't score 19 goals last season, and like we won't be signing anyone else.

Who said they grow on trees? Thats why we will have to pay the going rate. When you look back at our successful years as well as previous teams promoted in recent years, most of them include strikers around the 20 goal mark. In fact i'm pretty sure the last four teams to obtain automatic promotion all had strikers that hit 20 or above.

Re Kermogant; he is injured for a minimum of three months and considering early retirement in case you've been sleeping.

Ok, so 20 goal a season means 17+ then? That would make more sense although I'd never have interpreted it that way. On having to pay the going rate, our last few players to score 20+ were Long, Sigurdsson and Kitson, with 17+ers Kermorgant and Doyle. How many of them did we pay the going rate for at the time? It's none, isn't it. And one of them isn't a striker. Who was it that we last paid the going rate for as a striker? The closest comparison would be Vydra albeit a loan, then Pog in wages, going back further Lita. None of them got there, and all were somewhat underwhelming.

Spending guarantees nothing, and you can get great players cheap if you know what you're doing.

Show a bit of belief and patience.