Striker Concerns

Crowbar6753

Striker Concerns

by Crowbar6753 » 12 Jul 2017 17:47

Everything seems to be building perfectly, new majority owners with a sensible approach to running the club, the Thai's moving forward nicely with the sports village, a new CEO who comes with an amazing resume, a new pitch which is looking great and the new ifollow allowing me to watch all the games next season from across the pond, and whoops, almost forgot big Jaaps new two year contract!!!
Everything seems nice and rosy? then i check out the link showing our squad for the upcoming visit to the Netherlands....
Wow, i had totally missed that we are severely lacking in the striking department....last season was lacking but are we really going to holland with just Loader and Smith as our only fit forwards?
I trust Jaap and his team 100% and in Treverden we have a great Director of Football but this issue of strikers or lack of is really becoming an issue now, after this tour of Holland the season is almost upon us. I am watching this site daily expecting a new marquee signing of intent but as each day goes by i am slowly starting to fear the worst. Would someone like to try to predict a starting 11 with todays current squad for the opening game?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Striker Concerns

by CountryRoyal » 12 Jul 2017 18:17

Didn't read (not because I'm a dick- I mean, I am, I'm just quite drunk and cba) but I'm not that concerned really. As much as I loved kermorgant last season I think he'll play a bit part role this season. His fitness is good but at that age recovering from an injury isn't easy and recently news isn't a good omen.

I have every confidence that we will sign a solid striker, ideally before the season starts. Then we have Mendes who had a good end to the season and will have benefitted from his first season in England, though I hardly anticipate him to be our main attacking threat.

I also think Loader might have some involvement, I know recent events have flung him more into the limelight but we saw last pre season how Stam was impressed with Kelly and the consequential season he had, admittedly he was older. Who knows though with youngsters, sometimes being pushed in at the deep end can be successful.

Either way I'm not wholly worried, especially because we also seem to be able to score a decent amount of goals from all over the park and from different players in different positions.

It could all go tits up and next season could be a colossalldisaster, were not very good when were expected to do well, but Stam has seemed to instil a match by match philosophy and we have a good bunch so I think we have every chance of bettering last years succeses.

Anyway, back to the booze. Peace out. X

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 12 Jul 2017 18:23

I guess with Rakels being loaned out and Samuels pending departure, as well as the injuries to Kermie and Mendes it just shows how lacking we are in this department. What should only be a minor worry could turn out to be something much worse. But like i said, in Stam we trust !!!

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Jul 2017 19:13

Crowbar6753 I guess with Rakels being loaned out and Samuels pending departure, as well as the injuries to Kermie and Mendes it just shows how lacking we are in this department. What should only be a minor worry could turn out to be something much worse. But like i said, in Stam we trust !!!

Yeah that's it exactly, for me there's no reason to worry. It's still early days and I haven't had this much confidence in a manager in a very long time. I almost entirely trust his judgment.

Cue us in the relegation zone at Christmas with 1 win on the board. :lol:

alfie9

by alfie9 » 12 Jul 2017 19:46

I'm sure that BT is hard at work behind the scenes finding us a quality striker for a reasonable price. If they're letting Rakels and Samuel go, they must have a plan.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Jul 2017 17:23

Meite going on loan as well. Suggests that they've plenty of options.

The Informant

by The Informant » 13 Jul 2017 17:29

On Reading Chronicle twitter that we've agrees a fee for Tom Lawrence :shock: so should be sorted soon

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 13 Jul 2017 17:59

The Informant On Reading Chronicle twitter that we've agrees a fee for Tom Lawrence :shock: so should be sorted soon

Can't find anything on this. Would be a massive statement of intent

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 13 Jul 2017 21:30

The Informant On Reading Chronicle twitter that we've agrees a fee for Tom Lawrence :shock: so should be sorted soon

You speaks well good English you do I totally agrees

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Jul 2017 02:40

LightwaterRoyal

Can't find anything on this. Would be a massive statement of intent

Tommio

The Informant

by The Informant » 14 Jul 2017 12:34

Could this be the Dadi that Ian Royal always wanted?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Jul 2017 14:45

The club will do what they do every year.. Lose a few top players and then spend sod all cash in the summer then when our paper thin squad show that they are not good enough by losing a few games at the start of the season, the club panic and buy 3-4 players during the last week of the transfer window

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 14 Jul 2017 14:59

Royal_jimmy The club will do what they do every year.. Lose a few top players and then spend sod all cash in the summer then when our paper thin squad show that they are not good enough by losing a few games at the start of the season, the club panic and buy 3-4 players during the last week of the transfer window

Will be interesting to see in the next couple of weeks if your concerns are valid or not. I get the feeling that we've progressed and now have a solid structure to the club. I cant see the new owners, who have just installed a new and experienced CEO, BT and Jaap missing too many tricks so long as within our transfer budget.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Jul 2017 12:59

I argue that another forward is definitely the number one priority before the QPR game. 2nd priority is a goalscoring midfielder and 3rd one is a goalie to replace Ali

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 16 Jul 2017 14:25

Jaap’s already said that he's after a keeper with championship experience, quoting Button from Fulham but Fulham dont want to deal. In the GR interview, he also said that the money Norwich expects for Oliveira is ridiculous, meaning we have made an offer, he also mentioned high wage demands. I still believe the Oliveira deal could happen but will take time for both clubs to find the middle ground. Reading will need to increase their offer and Norwich to lower their price to meet in the middle. Talk of us looking aboard adds pressure to any ongoing negotiations for any UK based players we’re currently looking at or in decision with.

And a goal scoring midfielder. Now that Quinns back, we have Swift, Kelly and Clement who all fit that role. I would prefer we sign another championship experienced defensive mid adding to Evans and JVB.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jul 2017 14:35

I suppose at a push we could start the season without any additional signings - as long as Mendes and McCleary aren't too far away

The window is open for a while after the season starts and I do think players will start agitating for a move or dropping their salary demands if they are not anywhere near their current side. Suppose a bit like what happened with Moore last year

Not ideal, but would rather that than blow the entire budget on an over priced signing/stupid wages

The Informant

by The Informant » 16 Jul 2017 14:43

Like Tim krul.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jul 2017 15:02

Yeah could be a good shout that. Bring him in

The Informant

by The Informant » 16 Jul 2017 15:04

You're meant to be ignoring me.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jul 2017 15:07

Noticed Krul and Darlow both left out of Newcastle's squad for their pre season games. Suggests both prob moving on