CONFIMRED - Jon Dadi Bodvarsson

164 posts
muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED - Jon Dadi Bodvarsson

by muirinho » 18 Jul 2017 15:12

John Smith
muirinho
mambo3 2 premiership loan plays last season and Premiership players the season before.

What striker have we had, that is decent enough, and has remained uninjured long enough to get a good run in the side, do you think we should have played, that wasn't being played?

I'm not sure who your question was aimed at or what the purpose of it was.

My question to you would be, are you satisfied with Bodvarsson as a signing?

It was aimed at mambo3 who seemed to be saying we should have used our academy products/existing players rather than bringing in players on loan. I don't think any of them were good enough, or robust enough, or both, as shown by where the academy boys have ended up, and by what I saw of Mendes and Samuel.

Unless we pay absolutely ludicrous money, we have a choice between
-a striker on loan,
-or a forward who isn't a 15-20 a goal guy but will work his socks off and provide assists, defensive work as well as -a smattering of goals,
-or a cheap gamble from abroad,
-or an ageing PL start, who won't have a transfer fee but will cost a pile in wages,
-or an academy product.

Of those options, I'd go for an academy product if they were good enough followed by the "non-highscoring striker". And hope that our goals would come from all over the pitch. Like they did last season.

And that is what we've got.

Edit: to make it clear, yes I'm happy with Bodvarsson. With Mendes to improve, and Kermorgant to chip in here and there, once he gets back from injury. And maybe the occasional cameo from the likes of Danny Loader.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 18 Jul 2017 15:34

John Smith
muirinho
mambo3 2 premiership loan plays last season and Premiership players the season before.

What striker have we had, that is decent enough, and has remained uninjured long enough to get a good run in the side, do you think we should have played, that wasn't being played?

No. Especially from a Team in the same league at the lower end and that person was not a stand out player.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Jul 2017 15:55

mambo3 No. Especially from a Team in the same league at the lower end and that person was not a stand out player.

Is the correct answer. If anyone else thinks otherwise then you really have to question your ambition for the club

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 Jul 2017 16:11

John Smith
mambo3 No. Especially from a Team in the same league at the lower end and that person was not a stand out player.

Is the correct answer. If anyone else thinks otherwise then you really have to question your ambition for the club[/quot

Am sure people would have the said the same about Yann before last season. Let's see who's correct in 6 months time

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Jul 2017 16:36

muirinho
John Smith

Is the correct answer. If anyone else thinks otherwise then you really have to question your ambition for the club

Am sure people would have the said the same about Yann before last season. Let's see who's correct in 6 months time

I think you've already been away for 6 months...with your head in the sand

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jul 2017 18:11

John Smith
muirinho

I am.

Experienced Championship player with a good attitude who should be able to slot in quickly without breaking the bank and improves on what we had last year let alone what we had immediately before signing him. Plus he ticks the Icelandic box. Iceland play as a tight unit where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts, that's where our success has been and what we should be aiming for.

Illugason and Thorvaldson were untested in English football and punts, this guy isn't. Every other Icelander we've had has been a legend. He doesn't have to be a legend to be a good signing.

There is no rule that you have to sign your marquee striker before your Mr reliable.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jul 2017 19:09

To be fair, wolves were a complete basket case last year

If you said we had hired Lambert and then we had signed JDB, then I wouldn't be too happy. Stam has identified him as a player who will fit his system so we should trust him

It's not as easy as just saying he didn't play that well for a Midtable side - sounds from Wolves fans he was mismanaged in a system that didn't suit him

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 18 Jul 2017 20:00

Snowflake Royal
John Smith
muirinho

I am.

Experienced Championship player with a good attitude who should be able to slot in quickly without breaking the bank and improves on what we had last year let alone what we had immediately before signing him. Plus he ticks the Icelandic box. Iceland play as a tight unit where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts, that's where our success has been and what we should be aiming for.

Illugason and Thorvaldson were untested in English football and punts, this guy isn't. Every other Icelander we've had has been a legend. He doesn't have to be a legend to be a good signing.

There is no rule that you have to sign your marquee striker before your Mr reliable.

BIB - pretty much what I was going to say. Maybe we struck lucky with Sig, did Rodgers or McDermott expect him to be as good as he was at the start of 2009/10? But Ingimarsson and Gunnarsson both had plenty of experience of English football before joining us. I thought even before the Euros that if we had a team of Icelandic players we wouldn't be doing too badly, those who have established themselves in the first team have done rather well for us!

As I said before, don't know how he'll fit in but I can definitely see why we've signed him.

Esteban

by Esteban » 18 Jul 2017 20:41

John Smith

There are plenty of examples of signings like this that have turned out to be very good for us. I seem to remember people complaining about the signings of Sonko, Gunnarsson, Stephen Hunt, Harte, McAnuff, the list goes on.

If Bodvarsson is the only striker we bring in this window it's cause for concern, but there's still six weeks left. Give the club some credit, they'd have scouted him diligently and clearly see something in him.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 18 Jul 2017 23:19

Went to Wolves away last season.
Thankfully their striker was utter tat, otherwise it would have been 4 or 5 nil.

Not so thankful now.

double d

by double d » 18 Jul 2017 23:46

Placeholder so I can quote next May when he bangs in 25 goals and you are all sucking him off despite the fact you said he would be sh1te in July.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 19 Jul 2017 08:58

According to Mick McCarthy, we paid 3 mill for him :shock:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/f ... s-13352228

“I thought we had him coming on loan, but he’s gone there for three million quid or something,” McCarthy revealed after the Tractor Boys’ pre-season friendly win over Peterborough."

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jul 2017 08:59

WoodleyRoyal According to Mick McCarthy, we paid 3 mill for him :shock:

“I thought we had him coming on loan, but he’s gone there for three million quid or something,” McCarthy revealed after the Tractor Boys’ pre-season friendly win over Peterborough."

suspect that is lies

reason given was that we wanted him permanently whilst Ipswich wanted a loan, with Wolves wanting to sell.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2017 10:03

Can't see us paying 3 million for a player and then complaining about inflated transfer fees.. my guess is the touted > 1million is true.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 19 Jul 2017 11:33

NewCorkSeth

Can't see us paying 3 million for a player and then complaining about inflated transfer fees.. my guess is the touted > 1million is true.

If that's the case why don't the club say what they paid? Would a Championship Manager go on record saying that if it was a lie?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2017 12:37

mambo3
NewCorkSeth

If that's the case why don't the club say what they paid? Would a Championship Manager go on record saying that if it was a lie?

How would he know the details of a transfer not involving his club?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Jul 2017 12:38

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 19 Jul 2017 13:16

NewCorkSeth
mambo3
NewCorkSeth Can't see us paying 3 million for a player and then complaining about inflated transfer fees.. my guess is the touted > 1million is true.

More than likely, he would.
Mick: is he coming here?
Sheepshanks: nah, Wolves just accepted a bid of £3m from Reading

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jul 2017 13:21

Wouldn't take that figure seriously at all.

Notice the 'or something'

Just McCarthy playing the game to make it look like it wasn't their fault etc

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2017 14:23

3points
NewCorkSeth
mambo3

More than likely, he would.
Mick: is he coming here?
Sheepshanks: nah, Wolves just accepted a bid of £3m from Reading

Its more than likely he is either quoting that (probably incorrect) figure as a way to divert attention in a "we didn't get him because another club spent crazy money" sort of way. Or he has decided that's how much Wolves would have asked for.
I would be surprised if Wolves valued a player they didn't want at 3 times what they paid for him a year ago.

164 posts