muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED - Jon Dadi Bodvarsson

by muirinho » 18 Jul 2017 09:05

John Smith
NewCorkSeth
John Smith Yes probably all of those nations, maybe bar Sweden

Then I really don't get your point.
The size of the nation doesn't correlate to the quality of their players? I would rather have Hamsik than some young English player for example.

Not size of nation, but quality of nation. I'd rather have Gareth Bale but he's a shining light in a bog standard side.

The point I'm making is we have recruited an average foreigner when surely there's a much better young player from England that we don't need to bring in from abroad.

Think you have green-tinted glasses there pal, Wales didn't do better than England by being a "bog-standard" side, they did better because they are an established team, where everybody knows their roles, with a bedrock of decent players and a sprinkling of very good players. Doubt you'd be that snobby about Aaron Ramsey if he rocked up to the MadStad tomorrow.

Fact is, a well managed team of decent players, will generally do better than a bunch of "world-class" players, who never get any consistency of playing style, or management, or fellow team members. Wales had a plan. Iceland had a plan. They are examples of the sum being more than the parts, and how to play for each other.

Which is exactly what we need more of in the Reading team. not less.

We're never going to be able to compete for stars unless and until we become an established premier league side - while we are where we are, we need a team of decent players with a manager they all believe in. That's how we do well. Not by spending bucketloads on a star striker - who frankly all seem to cost about ten times as much as they should, and therefore think they are worth that money too, but by giving chances to hardworking players who will do their utmost for the team and the manager.

Jon Dadi reminds me of Kevin Doyle or Noel Hunt. I can't think of a better recommendation.

If there are similar English players, then that's fine too. But there don't seem to be many at any kind of reasonable price.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jul 2017 09:40

yeah this ^^

there are players out there as has been shown. I like the JDB signing a lot, there isn't a necessity to spend huge sums on one player

We got by last season on having a good spirit, rock solid tactics and good players knowing their role and playing it well. Throw in a couple of excellent signings (Swift, Moore (how did we manager to get him for 1.5m?), Blackett) and we had a successful season

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Jul 2017 10:06

Cracking post murinho.

You'd think some of these Reading fans had only started supporting us this year. All of our successful teams have been built on what you describe - a team greater than the sum of its parts. Even last year was an example of that. It's why I've said quite a bit on here recently that the prospect of us spending multi-millions on one player makes me feel uneasy. It's unchartered territory for the club so I understand their caution, even if we do have some money in the bank.

While this summer people have been saying "football's gone mad", people were saying that last summer, and we finished 3rd, 10 places above a team who spent over £70m in transfer fees.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Jul 2017 10:25

genome Cracking post murinho.

You'd think some of these Reading fans had only started supporting us this year. All of our successful teams have been built on what you describe - a team greater than the sum of its parts. Even last year was an example of that. It's why I've said quite a bit on here recently that the prospect of us spending multi-millions on one player makes me feel uneasy. It's unchartered territory for the club so I understand their caution, even if we do have some money in the bank.

While this summer people have been saying "football's gone mad", people were saying that last summer, and we finished 3rd, 10 places above a team who spent over £70m in transfer fees.

Not sure if that's intended at a dig my way or not? The point I'm making is yes, I understand the need for whoever comes in has to fit into the unit and blend of the team but nevertheless Bodvarsson is an uninspring signing whichever way you look at it: we signed him from a mid table Championship team and he plays his national team football for a very average side as well, regardless of their performance in the Euros, Iceland aren't a good side.

The point I'm making is we were a hair's breadth from the Prem last season and we need to capitalise on our position at the moment with someone better than this guy.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 18 Jul 2017 11:02

John Smith

Not sure if that's intended at a dig my way or not? The point I'm making is yes, I understand the need for whoever comes in has to fit into the unit and blend of the team but nevertheless Bodvarsson is an uninspring signing whichever way you look at it: we signed him from a mid table Championship team and he plays his national team football for a very average side as well, regardless of their performance in the Euros, Iceland aren't a good side.

The point I'm making is we were a hair's breadth from the Prem last season and we need to capitalise on our position at the moment with someone better than this guy.

I wonder if many teams who lose in the play off final go on to get promoted the next season?
If any did it would be interesting to see their transfer spend that season versus the season before.

I think Stam may be concerned as well about the wage demands of certain players we were looking at. The last thing we need is to destabilise a solid unit.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Jul 2017 11:03

NewCorkSeth I wonder if many teams who lose in the play off final go on to get promoted the next season?
If any did it would be interesting to see their transfer spend that season versus the season before.

I can think of one... :?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Jul 2017 11:05

John Smith Not sure if that's intended at a dig my way or not?

Not solely (seen plenty of fans do it), but it's worth remembering how Reading's most historically successful teams were put together.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 18 Jul 2017 11:05

genome
NewCorkSeth I wonder if many teams who lose in the play off final go on to get promoted the next season?

West Brom 07-08

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Jul 2017 11:06

NewCorkSeth
genome

West Brom 07-08

There's another one, a few years later than that

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 18 Jul 2017 11:08

genome
NewCorkSeth
genome

West Brom 07-08

There's another one, a few years later than that

Boro 15-16?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Jul 2017 11:08

I see what you're doing

mambo3

by mambo3 » 18 Jul 2017 11:30

Nah just waste our money paying premiership wages to the loan players we have had these last couple of seasons. maybe giving Mendes and
others more game time/experience may have avoided this knee jerk reaction to us buying rather then playing our "own".

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Jul 2017 11:47

mambo3 Nah just waste our money paying premiership wages to the loan players we have had these last couple of seasons. maybe giving Mendes and
others more game time/experience may have avoided this knee jerk reaction to us buying rather then playing our "own".

We just released half a dozen of our youngsters

mambo3

by mambo3 » 18 Jul 2017 11:53

John Smith
mambo3 Nah just waste our money paying premiership wages to the loan players we have had these last couple of seasons. maybe giving Mendes and

2 premiership loan plays last season and Premiership players the season before.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 Jul 2017 12:07

mambo3
John Smith

What striker have we had, that is decent enough, and has remained uninjured long enough to get a good run in the side, do you think we should have played, that wasn't being played?

mambo3

by mambo3 » 18 Jul 2017 12:23

muirinho
mambo3
John Smith We just released half a dozen of our youngsters

What striker have we had, that is decent enough, and has remained uninjured long enough to get a good run in the side, do you think
we should have played, that wasn't being played?

Mendes... half the season on the bench. Samuel Total 400+ mins playing time (4.5 games) - 2 goals, Meite, half the season on the bench, When losing putting defenders on. This is before Yann went on a goal scoring spree. Grabban? Vydra?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jul 2017 12:39

Mendes has to stay fit. He has had his season of bedding in and getting to know the team. He comes over as a passionate lad and a good team player. But he needs to be reliable

Very concerned that he seems to be injured again. Not actually seen anything about what the issue is

double d

by double d » 18 Jul 2017 12:40

I reckon le fondre

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 18 Jul 2017 13:59

muirinho
mambo3

What striker have we had, that is decent enough, and has remained uninjured long enough to get a good run in the side, do you think we should have played, that wasn't being played?

Jason Roberts?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Jul 2017 14:57

muirinho
mambo3

I'm not sure who your question was aimed at or what the purpose of it was.

My question to you would be, are you satisfied with Bodvarsson as a signing?

164 posts