Dom Samuel

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Dom Samuel

by Woodcote Royal » 22 Jul 2017 14:41

So, Lewis Grabban 16 games 3 Goals. Dominic Samuel (Reading Career) 9 Games 2 Goals.

Who didn't expect Grabban to start at Wembley and who wouldn't have picked themselves off the floor by half time had Samual been announced as a sub :|

Our most important signing this summer was Japp Stam but he's no different to the rest of his profession in rating some players over others when the opposite wouldn't look any more out of place.

Grabban arrived as a 29 year old Premiership squad player, who rarely looked like hitting a barn door with banjo at a level below where he was employed yet, Stam persisted in overlooking others who, in my view, had a greater claim to get on the pitch.

League One might prove to be Samuels level but, based on last season's performances, it should be Grabbans, too.

Samuel only got his chance when few alternatives were available and we'll never know how things might look now had he been granted the 16 opportunities given to Grabban. However, I can envisage only the 23 year old improving over time.

Given that we were apparently quoted £8m for one striker in whom we expressed an interested, this decision still has the potential to prove a very expensive error.

I wish Dominic Samuel all the best in his future career and will be watching with interest.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 22 Jul 2017 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Jul 2017 14:53

Samuel needs to establish himself. Watched a fair number of league one games last year, Will do ok at that level. As definately has the talent. One of those players that may well improve as they grow older and mature as an individual. Just lacks the application to be consistent.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2017 16:02

Woodcote Royal So, Lewis Grabban 16 games 3 Goals. Dominic Samuel (Reading Career) 9 Games 2 Goals.

Who didn't expect Grabban to start at Wembley and who wouldn't have picked themselves off the floor by half time had Samual been announced as a sub :|

Our most important signing this summer was Japp Stam but he's no different to the rest of his profession in rating some players over others when the opposite wouldn't look any more out of place.

Grabban arrived as a 29 year old Premiership squad player, who rarely looked like hitting a barn door with banjo at a level below where he was employed yet, Stam persisted in overlooking others who, in my view, had a greater claim to get on the pitch.

League One might prove to be Samuels level but, based on last season's performances, it should be Grabbans, too.

Samuel only got his chance when few alternatives were available and we'll never know how things might look now had he been granted the 16 opportunities given to Grabban. However, I can envisage only the 23 year old improving over time.

Given that we were apparently quoted £8m for one striker in whom we expressed an interested, this decision still has the potential to prove a very expensive error.

I wish Dominic Samuel all the best in his future career and will be watching with interest.

From what I saw, Grabban and Samuel were very different players that gave you different things. I think it's reasonable to have expected more from Grabban as well given his history. Stam may have legitimately wanted someone with more experience at the crunch end of the season. As it was the manager thought he was reliable enough to be played out of position and he held the ball up reasonably well when played up top. If little else.

Samuel by contrast went out on loan and got injured (yet again) almost immediately. What I've seen of him, he's not the type you can ask to play out of position in midfield and nor is he really someone I'd expect to be able to hold the ball up. Given Stam had enjoyed six months or so of being able to see him in training, I'll give his judgement the benefit of the doubt seeing as I've not seen anything to contradict it.