The idiots of Twitter thread

709 posts
WAZZOCK

Re: The idiots of Twitter thread

by WAZZOCK » 14 Sep 2017 11:41

The issue is, he's got absolutely no basis for his ramblings against SJM and NH, and his insistence that we have rejected lucrative naming rights bids because of SJM's ego is so far wide of the mark.

These two men didn't just take us to the next level, they took us up about three levels, and in SJM's case it was at great expense to his personal wealth. So it gets my goat when some plonker with an axe to grind tries to besmirch the credibility of two of the good guys.

He's also wrong in thinking SJM has had any say on anything since January 2012, so in short, my issue with his tweets is that he is just wrong.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 14 Sep 2017 11:47

Don't know much about him saying those things but anyone who criticises the character of SJM deserves a swift poke in the eye, followed by a fist in the face.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 14 Sep 2017 12:00

These are probably a bit more reflective of his bellendry than the ones posted on the previous page...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Sep 2017 12:53

The name Jamie Hinton seems vaguely familiar......

Did he have a thing about sandwich bags or am I thinking of someone else ?

trueroyal1871

by trueroyal1871 » 14 Sep 2017 13:05

Nameless The name Jamie Hinton seems vaguely familiar......

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sandwich bag suicide definitely rings a bell.

I do think he has a very valid point about Madejski being removed from the seats and replaced with Reading FC or even Royals. I've always found it weird having Madejski on the seats, surely naming the stadium after yourself is enough without having to put your surname in massive letters on the seats as well.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 14 Sep 2017 13:57

trueroyal1871

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sandwich bag suicide definitely rings a bell.

I do think he has a very valid point about Madejski being removed from the seats and replaced with Reading FC or even Royals. I've always found it weird having Madejski on the seats, surely naming the stadium after yourself is enough without having to put your surname in massive letters on the seats as well.

Back in my more 'anorak' days as a supporter, I went down to the site mid-build and was greeted by a very friendly and informative gentleman (probably head surveyor or site foreman) and he duly explained that due to the groundshare they felt it more suitable to go with the stadium/brand name rather than 'side' with one of the clubs playing in it.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Sep 2017 14:21

I would be up for selling the naming rights to the stadium and calling the east stand the Madejski stand.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Sep 2017 14:36

The Richmond tenancy (we've never had a ground share with anyone !) was very short lived and I can't believe any one cared too much about hurting their feelings !
It's quite odd to see people arguing in favour of flogging off the name of the ground. I've never thought there was much dignity in making money that way. May as well sell your kit and play in the corporate colours of a sponsor, in fact quite surprised no one has done this.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 15 Sep 2017 06:56

Its Jay. As in, bachelors degree Jay. He's been on here for donkeys years with many different names, Coppelled Streets, Fridays Ghost, Ups and Downs, Skutterbucket, and countless others.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Sep 2017 07:31

Nameless The Richmond tenancy (we've never had a ground share with anyone !) was very short lived and I can't believe any one cared too much about hurting their feelings !
It's quite odd to see people arguing in favour of flogging off the name of the ground. I've never thought there was much dignity in making money that way. May as well sell your kit and play in the corporate colours of a sponsor, in fact quite surprised no one has done this.

Carlisle had an away kit in Eddie Stobbart colours.

Coventry had kits in the early 80's designed to look like the Talbot Cars badge.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Sep 2017 08:57

From Despair To Where?
Nameless The Richmond tenancy (we've never had a ground share with anyone !) was very short lived and I can't believe any one cared too much about hurting their feelings !

Coventry had kits in the early 80's designed to look like the Talbot Cars badge.

Knowing that is just incredibly sad !

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Sep 2017 09:20

The Coventry kit would be fairly common knowledge to any football fan over 45.

The Carlisle kit was mentioned in an article in this month's WSC.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Sep 2017 10:41

WAZZOCK The issue is, he's got absolutely no basis for his ramblings against SJM and NH, and his insistence that we have rejected lucrative naming rights bids because of SJM's ego is so far wide of the mark.

These two men didn't just take us to the next level, they took us up about three levels, and in SJM's case it was at great expense to his personal wealth. So it gets my goat when some plonker with an axe to grind tries to besmirch the credibility of two of the good guys.

He's also wrong in thinking SJM has had any say on anything since January 2012, so in short, my issue with his tweets is that he is just wrong.

Dedicated an awful lot of his time to the club and time is money. But hard cash? Money paid out initially, plus ongoing (doubtless carefully managed by accountants and tax experts) - money recouped from repayment of loans and subsequent sale(s) of club? Would be interested to know (but never will) which way that eventually worked out.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Sep 2017 13:18

RoyalBlue
WAZZOCK The issue is, he's got absolutely no basis for his ramblings against SJM and NH, and his insistence that we have rejected lucrative naming rights bids because of SJM's ego is so far wide of the mark.

Dedicated an awful lot of his time to the club and time is money. But hard cash? Money paid out initially, plus ongoing (doubtless carefully managed by accountants and tax experts) - money recouped from repayment of loans and subsequent sale(s) of club? Would be interested to know (but never will) which way that eventually worked out.

Loans at less than commercial rates, therefore loss of hard cash.
Loans not available to be used for more lucrative ventures.
Risk taken by underwriting commercial loans to the club.
Offset by intangible benefits of publicity, networking etc opening up due to RFC success.

As you say it's probably impossible to calculate, but it is indisputable that without him we would probably be a struggling lower division side playing in a cramped and outdated stadium (offset by it's character and history of course !)

Good to see you're feelings towards SJM have softened RB, there was a time the mention of his name would send you into a complete tizzy !

Esteban

by Esteban » 15 Sep 2017 13:26

From Despair To Where?

We had an away kit a few years back in the Waitrose corporate colours.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Sep 2017 13:31

From Despair To Where? The Coventry kit would be fairly common knowledge to any football fan over 45.

The Carlisle kit was mentioned in an article in this month's WSC.

Point 1 is clearly incorrect.

Is WSC still going ? Must be 25 years or more, the halcyon days of the fanzine were great. Spent many a happy afternoon in Sportspages wasting money on photocopied rubbish written about club's I had no interest in. But we were happy.....

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Sep 2017 14:24

WSC is hardly a fanzine any more and just about the only football magazine about that asks serious questions about the state of the game.

The Coventry Talbot kit was designed to circumvent the ban on shirt advertising in the early 80's, to the point that Jimmy Hill considered changing the club's name to Coventry Talbot. It was much debated at the time and as such, it was ground breaking in the sense that it went some way to forcing the ban being lifted and it clearly had an impact on football far beyond just being a kit for a provincial football club.

Much more than just a footnote in early 80's football history but maybe you just had little interest in such things at the time.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 15 Sep 2017 14:26, edited 1 time in total.

Blakey's Chin

by Blakey's Chin » 15 Sep 2017 14:25

Esteban
From Despair To Where?

We had an away kit a few years back in the Waitrose corporate colours.

Great shout, always thought the green shorts were too much of a coincidence

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Sep 2017 15:08

From Despair To Where? WSC is hardly a fanzine any more and just about the only football magazine about that asks serious questions about the state of the game.

The Coventry Talbot kit was designed to circumvent the ban on shirt advertising in the early 80's, to the point that Jimmy Hill considered changing the club's name to Coventry Talbot. It was much debated at the time and as such, it was ground breaking in the sense that it went some way to forcing the ban being lifted and it clearly had an impact on football far beyond just being a kit for a provincial football club.

Much more than just a footnote in early 80's football history but maybe you just had little interest in such things at the time.

Being a football fan over the age of 45 I struggle to recall much that happened in the 80's. It's all a bit of a blur really and neither Coventry City nor Talbot cars have much chance of forcing their way through the fog.
Alternatively you may just be unable to recognise that you are so much more of a geek than the average fan !

Still slightly surprised that it is not a MORE COMMON way of getting sponsorship money in. Perhaps redesigning a kit just isn't as obvious in terms of brand recognition as naming a stadium.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Sep 2017 16:26

Not a geek but I did collect Panini stickers as a kid so the Coventry kit clearly stood out to me and a hell of a lot of my peers. With the recent relaxing of rules regarding sponsorship logos on kits over the last couple of seasons, it's been referenced a lot recently.

709 posts