Transfer fees out of control

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Transfer fees out of control

by Forbury Lion » 26 Jul 2017 09:03

Transfer fees out of control - The club will be rubbing their hands together at the thought of selling players for twice the price, It's shame we didn't keep Nicky Hammond on as salesman, he'd probably get at least a £20m opening bid for Gunter.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jul 2017 09:18

Shouldn't this thread be in GF?

Anyway there are some big names in the Championship this season but only 3 can go up meaning several of the likes of Sunderland, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Norwich, Derby, Wolves, Sheffield Wednesday, Fulham, Aston Villa and Birmingham won't even make the top 6 let alone promotion. Then there'll be the "over performer" that sneaks into the top six (e.g. Brentford) and the one from those "big names" that makes a right hash of things and struggles badly.

And who on earth knows where Reading will fit in - could just as easily be a struggle as something akin to last season.

At the end of the day it's all down to the management and their ability to build a team and maintain a confident squad that works as one and believes in each other and the overall work ethic. That team usually comes form a right old mix of youth, experience, marquee signings and bargains and while spending more should mean you get technically better players is doesn't mean it'll work for the team.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 26 Jul 2017 13:09

FiNeRaIn Its farcical and frankly football as a sport is not really enjoyable anymore. What honor, dignity or respect is there when you look at teams like Man City, Chelsea, Bayern, Real Madrid, etc just throwing money at every up and coming youngster as well as anyone who is performing half decently in Europe? Even lowly prem teams spending 20+ million on players, wtf?

The only way to get round this insanity is a cap like they do over here. Unfortunately, the governing bodies in Europe have little to no interest in this for monetary reasons. Its going to take people who really care about the game to cap it and force teams to have to promote from youth academies as well as maximum transfer budgets. I don't see this happening unfortunately as the clubs spending those sums have too much power as well as officials with no motivation to go against them. The fans complain about it a lot, but most still buy tickets so its a vicious cycle.

I miss having a season ticket at Reading but I never thought watching a baseball team here as much as I do i'd ever think the fans have more affinity with the players, but I can safely say they actually do now. compare to football, and there is far less crying like babies when they don't get a transfer to move one club higher in the league table :lol: Spoiled c*nts.

F**king hell i thought you were dead ;)

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Jul 2017 16:58

genome Can't remember where but a few years ago, I remember seeing a chart on here that suggested higher wage expenditure was (statistically, at least) a more reliable way to guarantee success in the Championship, rather than transfer fees.

I know we spent a fair whack on wages in the 2011/12 season. And we were probably up there last season.

It's a chart from the Swiss Ramble
http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/

And agreed, paying good wages gets better results than paying big transfer fees

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 26 Jul 2017 22:07

So basically Chelsea spent more to end a shirt manufacturing deal than RFC have ever spent on players since 1871
Game is fukked.
quote "largely £67 million to terminate the Adidas kit supplier contract "

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 26 Jul 2017 22:52

FiNeRaIn
American sports are not as intense as football usually but they at least reward teams who build sensibly, have a strategy as well as bringing through their own youth players to make the whole package a successful one. It is absolutely tedious watching the same teams spending obscene amounts of money each season, ruin careers, hog talent, destroy the teams underneath by poaching players and then want a pat on the back when they buy their success.

err American franchises do this as well....

And if they don't think they can get enough cash
from one set of fans they fcuk off to another city

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Jul 2017 08:21

FiNeRaIn
NewCorkSeth I disagree sir.

The top teams have always done this. The money has increased across the board. Small teams are also spending more. It can't grow exponentially but the gap between the top clubs and the rest is constant.

Players have been throwing fits about transfers for a long time it's not a new development. If anything it's the power of the media that just highlights it more often as they seek clicks with easy headlines.

Leicester winning the premier league can be your source of honour, dignity and respect if that's what your after. Montpellier did it a few years back too. It happens. Football always wins in the end.

Those are two teams out of how many seasons?

The top clubs have always had more money, but they did not have enough money to buy players to prevent other people getting them. We are at that point now with just needlessly big squads of players who'd rather sit on the bench earning 200k a week in a top club than play regularly for a team a level below. Thats a problem, player hogging like this should not be allowed so bring in legislation to stop it. Seeing talent spread out will be better for the league and it will provide more opportunities for younger English players.

Players were NEVER such whiney bitches like they are now, regardless of who is to blame. How is it enjoyable to be a football fan when unless you support either Chelsea, Man City or maybe Man Utd you are always going to be feeding players to the teams above because they'll be tapped up, start crying like babies having tantrums and refusing to train. There was a small, small minority that did this in the 90s ( usually dicks like Van Hoijdonk) but now its rampant with even British players doing it.

American sports are not as intense as football usually but they at least reward teams who build sensibly, have a strategy as well as bringing through their own youth players to make the whole package a successful one. It is absolutely tedious watching the same teams spending obscene amounts of money each season, ruin careers, hog talent, destroy the teams underneath by poaching players and then want a pat on the back when they buy their success.

I am not saying replicate the American system entirely, firstly the FA would never do this as they like the money and secondly its too much of a drastic change. The game however MUST stop this nonsense and caps need to come in with no loopholes. Its just not interesting anymore.

There's is not as many players as you suggest earning 200k a week and sitting on a bench but I get your point. I would counter that there has always been players earning larger sums at the bigger clubs while sitting on the bench. Has the difference between the sums earned by players at Man utd and players at Reading really changed that much?
Secondly who cares how much youth is brought through in the big clubs? If anything I prefer it this way as the youth players leave in search of first team football, often down a division. It brings more, well trained talent down to the lower leagues. John Swift for example, Trippier was a free when he came down, Andre Wisdom just came down. It's making the championship a better quality league. The comparison with baseball and American football is nonsense. They don't have national teams so bringing youth through isn't a priority for anyone but the team itself. Which they heavily compete for. The way student athletes are treated is horrendous.
Isn't baseball the highest paid sport in the world?
The teams that win deserve a pat on the back. As you says there is 6 other teams doing the same thing as them. Watching some of the best players in the world is fantastic for the league you think talented players would want to come here if they had to play with homegrown 'not good enoughs', for lower wages and a smaller chance of champions league glory or international call ups? Ridiculous.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Jul 2017 08:23

FiNeRaIn

The top teams have always done this. The money has increased across the board. Small teams are also spending more. It can't grow exponentially but the gap between the top clubs and the rest is constant.

Players have been throwing fits about transfers for a long time it's not a new development. If anything it's the power of the media that just highlights it more often as they seek clicks with easy headlines.

Leicester winning the premier league can be your source of honour, dignity and respect if that's what your after. Montpellier did it a few years back too. It happens. Football always wins in the end.

The top clubs have always had more money, but they did not have enough money to buy players to prevent other people getting them. We are at that point now with just needlessly big squads of players who'd rather sit on the bench earning 200k a week in a top club than play regularly for a team a level below. Thats a problem, player hogging like this should not be allowed so bring in legislation to stop it. Seeing talent spread out will be better for the league and it will provide more opportunities for younger English players.

Players were NEVER such whiney bitches like they are now, regardless of who is to blame. How is it enjoyable to be a football fan when unless you support either Chelsea, Man City or maybe Man Utd you are always going to be feeding players to the teams above because they'll be tapped up, start crying like babies having tantrums and refusing to train. There was a small, small minority that did this in the 90s ( usually dicks like Van Hoijdonk) but now its rampant with even British players doing it.

I am not saying replicate the American system entirely, firstly the FA would never do this as they like the money and secondly its too much of a drastic change. The game however MUST stop this nonsense and caps need to come in with no loopholes. Its just not interesting anymore.

There's is not as many players as you suggest earning 200k a week and sitting on a bench but I get your point. I would counter that there has always been players earning larger sums at the bigger clubs while sitting on the bench. Has the difference between the sums earned by players at Man utd and players at Reading really changed that much?
Secondly who cares how much youth is brought through in the big clubs? If anything I prefer it this way as the youth players leave in search of first team football, often down a division. It brings more, well trained talent down to the lower leagues. John Swift for example, Trippier was a free when he came down, Andre Wisdom just came down. It's making the championship a better quality league. The comparison with baseball and American football is nonsense. They don't have national teams so bringing youth through isn't a priority for anyone but the team itself. Which they heavily compete for. The way student athletes are treated is horrendous.
The teams that win deserve a pat on the back. As you says there is 6 other teams doing the same thing as them. Watching some of the best players in the world is fantastic for the league you think talented players would want to come here if they had to play with homegrown 'not good enoughs', for lower wages and a smaller chance of champions league glory or international call ups? Ridiculous.

Edit. The attitude that the English league system should have a duty towards the development of young English talent is one that truly annoys me.
Why do they have to give a shit about the national team?
The Russian league system has a rule about 7 (or something) russian players must be on the pitch at all times. Has that helped them develop incredible talent?
It's entirely plausible that these young English players training week in week out with international superstars is actually helping their development. Perhaps Rob Holding wouldn't have impressed so much if he wasn't training with Per Mertesaker and Laurent Koscielny every week? Or having to play against Sanches, Ozil and Giroud in training games? Was having him at Bolton doing the national team any good?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 27 Jul 2017 09:20

NBA players are the highest paid iirc....there's only 5 of
them on the court at a time they play every other day

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 27 Jul 2017 09:22

WRTOP I remember making this point when we sold Keith Curle to Wimbledon for £250,000.

ChickenClucker

by ChickenClucker » 27 Jul 2017 10:33

Anything over £1million is mickey mouse to me. Sir Steve succeeded on a shoestring

mambo3

by mambo3 » 27 Jul 2017 12:14

NewCorkSeth
FiNeRaIn

Edit. The attitude that the English league system should have a duty towards the development of young English talent is one that truly annoys me.
The Russian league system has a rule about 7 (or something) russian players must be on the pitch at all times. Has that helped them develop incredible talent?
It's entirely plausible that these young English players training week in week out with international superstars is actually helping their development. Perhaps Rob Holding wouldn't have impressed so much if he wasn't training with Per Mertesaker and Laurent Koscielny every week? Or having to play against Sanches, Ozil and Giroud in training games? Was having him at Bolton doing the national team any good?

What a load of shit! you talk. English league system should have a duty towards the development of young English talent - read up on the decline of the number of British footballers playing in the premiership and now starting to happen in the Championship. look at the Spanish, French and German Leagues they do not have the amount of foreign players in their leagues as we do and funnily there national Team is teeming with players that the English clubs end up buying. good Business for them. Foreign players of a high calibre should by all means be allowed to play the English Leagues but every tom, dick or Harry is ridiculous.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Jul 2017 12:17

Playing devil's advocate here, but bar '66 it's hardly like we set the world alight on the international stage when our leagues were predominantly filled with English players.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Jul 2017 12:33

I think there have been pl nth of surveys showing that most football fans care more about their club side than the national team. I know I am one of them.
For a variety of reasons , some pitch based, some not, lots of people just aren't interested in the national side any more.
Oddly the enough act opposite applies to many other sports. Certainly in cricket and rugby the national side is the pinnnacle of the game for players and fans. In football it is now not much more than a bit of a sideshow. Hence club's sp no money on the players that will bring them success and don't care what nationality they are.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Jul 2017 13:39

mambo3
NewCorkSeth
FiNeRaIn

What a load of shit! you talk. English league system should have a duty towards the development of young English talent - read up on the decline of the number of British footballers playing in the premiership and now starting to happen in the Championship. look at the Spanish, French and German Leagues they do not have the amount of foreign players in their leagues as we do and funnily there national Team is teeming with players that the English clubs end up buying. good Business for them. Foreign players of a high calibre should by all means be allowed to play the English Leagues but every tom, dick or Harry is ridiculous.

Well the Bundesliga is 49% foreign players so not sure how that helps them be a top footballing power.. likewise Spain and France are in the top 11 leagues with foreign players in Europe. A list that includes Belgium (a rising power in international football), Italy, Portugal and the Netherlands.
All these countries top leagues are amongst the worst in Europe for foreign players. England is the worst on the list for sure but it hasn't stopped Spain, Portugal and Germany from winning international competitions in recent history.

So in conclusion sir, I believe it is you who is talking a load of shit.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jul 2017 18:08

Hmmm, lacking data. How much higher is the English league. What about the second tiers. What's the comparative minutes on pitch for native and foreign players.

The PL and La Liga could both have 40% foreign players, but if the 60% in Spain get 70% of the pitch time whilst the 60% in England get 40% pitch time that's still potentially significant as a difference.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Jul 2017 19:52

Snowflake Royal Hmmm, lacking data. How much higher is the English league. What about the second tiers. What's the comparative minutes on pitch for native and foreign players.

The PL and La Liga could both have 40% foreign players, but if the 60% in Spain get 70% of the pitch time whilst the 60% in England get 40% pitch time that's still potentially significant as a difference.

A fair point i am indeed lacking all the data but do minutes played by young players equal quality national team?
According to part 4 of this http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/mr/mr13/en/phone/index.html the only league in europes top leagues playing under 22s (of all nationalities) over 20% of the total minutes played is the Netherlands. That's working out well for their national team isn't it..
Spain and England are very close for under 22s minutes per total minutes so perhaps the problem with England's national team is not that the big clubs are spending too much money.
I would suggest that maybe other nationalities willingness to travel abroad in search of football is a major reason England is the biggest small European nation.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 28 Jul 2017 13:10

NewCorkSeth
mambo3
NewCorkSeth There's is not as many players as you suggest earning 200k a week and sitting on a bench but I get your point. I would counter that there has always been players earning larger sums at the bigger clubs while sitting on the bench. Has the difference between the sums earned by players at Man utd and players at Reading really changed that much?

Well the Bundesliga is 49% foreign players so not sure how that helps them be a top footballing power.. likewise Spain and France are in the top 11 leagues with foreign players in Europe. A list that includes Belgium (a rising power in international football), Italy, Portugal and the Netherlands.
All these countries top leagues are amongst the worst in Europe for foreign players. England is the worst on the list for sure but it hasn't stopped Spain, Portugal and Germany from winning international competitions in recent history.

I am not talking about U22 Players, I am talking about Foreign Players playing in the 1st Team of there clubs. You are using the
wrong data.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Jul 2017 16:51

mambo3
NewCorkSeth
mambo3

I am not talking about U22 Players, I am talking about Foreign Players playing in the 1st Team of there clubs. You are using the
wrong data.

The entire post was about under 22 year old players league minutes in their sides first team... read it again.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 28 Jul 2017 16:55

mambo3
NewCorkSeth
mambo3

wrong data.

What *wrong* data? The post you are replying to wasn't about U22 players.

Here's the source. Yes PL has more than other countries, but other countries aren't exactly small proportions either.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... efa-report

But even if you meant to reply to the post that was talking about U22s - you previously were talking about "duty of development". So that IS youth players.