by Sutekh » 03 Aug 2017 09:58

When : Saturday 5th August, 3pm
Where : Loftus Road, London, W12 7PA
Capacity : 18,769
Away Stand : The School End
Visibility : :lol:
What might I see in the area : Steptoe and Son

The hooped derby

Another season commences, another few minutes dreaming that Reading will go through the season looking spectacular and being undefeated until reality sets in and you realise it'll be the same struggle to score while looking as insecure in defence as possible.

While Reading have done not very much of any interest to anyone in the transfer window so far, QPR though have done less. Youngster Charlie Owens joined from Carlisle while the club's only other new face is ex Barnsley midfielder Josh Scowen on a free transfer. However alleged Reading target Idrissa Sylla might play.

On the playing front McShane is suspended (and injured) while Harriott, Kermorgant, Watson and McCleary are just injured. Bodvarsson and Berg should both be fit after their little scare last week. Most intriguing though is the rumour that Stephen Quinn isn't injured and might actually be able to sally forth and partake of some vinyl spheroid shenanigans of a Saturday afternoon.

Referee

Northumberland's Scott Duncan makes the long trek down to the big smoke for this one

15 Apr 2017 > Aston Villa 1-3 Reading
11 Mar 2017 > Preston North End 3-0 Reading
22 Oct 2016 > Rotherham United 0-1 Reading
12 Apr 2016 > Middlesbrough 2-1 Reading
04 Apr 2015 > Reading 1-1 Cardiff City

Historically

This game will be the 44th league visit to Loftus Road and of the previous 43 trips Reading managed 11 wins. QPR have won 19 games and (not very) interestingly the first 13 of those games were all won without Reading scoring but since then the 6 occasions that QPR have won have seen Reading score at least once.

Looking at opening day fixtures away from home for Reading doesn't make very pleasant reading. Reading's record when away on the opening day of the season is poor at best. Since 1993/94 Reading have been away on the opening day on 12 occasions. They've managed 1 win (2-0 at Blackpool 16 years ago).

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to Loftus Road
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Queen's Park Rangers (a) not sponsored by opening day depression

by STAR Liaison » 03 Aug 2017 10:16

The QPR secretary unilaterally decided to take the apostrophe out of their name in the early 70s (roughly) so it is as per their badge not as per your Matchwatch subject line.

Technically of course you are correct - it should be Queen's Park Rangers just as it still is Queen's Park in Scotland.

As you may know STAR is very hot on apostrophes (even won an award in April) and we look forward to the massed ranks of Reading fans chanting "where's your apostrophe gone?" on Saturday. #openingdaydepression

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Queen's Park Rangers (a) not sponsored by opening day depression

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Aug 2017 10:22

Nice to have you back doing this Sutekh. Thanks for the write ups last season too. It's a nice format and reassuring to have the same person open these match threads.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Aug 2017 10:25

YOU CAN ALMOST TASTE IT...

Thanks Sutekh.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Aug 2017 11:13

Sutekh sally forth and partake of some vinyl spheroid shenanigans

:lol: Lovely stuff

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 03 Aug 2017 11:13

Sutekh On the playing front McShane is suspended (and injured)

Surely this is the "best" kind of suspension - missing matches you're physically unable to play anyway?

Sutekh They've managed 1 win (2-0 at Blackpool 16 years ago).

Was there for that one! Parky scored a header direct from a corner after about 8 minutes - just after I'd said to my Dad "oh we never score from corners". Can't believe that's 16 years ago now though :shock:

EDIT: So maybe 8 minutes was not quite right, 33 minutes according to the match report http://www.royals.org/matdoc/110801.html

It was the first game after the Cardiff play off defeat so hopefully that's an omen for Saturday's game too?

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 03 Aug 2017 11:35

GUO sally forth (although a purist may prefer sally 4th).

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Aug 2017 11:54

Decent game up to start with and you would be expecting 3 points.

QPR poor pre season. Real lack of quality signings and coming off the back of a turgid 12 games at the end of last season. Fans already grumbling at Holloway.

0-2

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Aug 2017 12:13

NewCorkSeth Nice to have you back doing this Sutekh. Thanks for the write ups last season too. It's a nice format and reassuring to have the same person open these match threads.

Thanks! Sadly though I'm away and won't be able to compile the threads for Gillingham, Fulham and possibly Villa so over to any one else who can be arsed.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 03 Aug 2017 16:25

Is Mendes available ? not read much about him recently.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Aug 2017 17:11

Royals and Racers Is Mendes available ? not read much about him recently.

I'm sure I read somewhere he was injured. Don't think he was on the tour.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Aug 2017 17:42

Think he is basically fit but had no matches from the sound of it. Maybe a spot on the bench, if not prob a runout against Gillingham

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 03 Aug 2017 18:27

Now that I've got BBC Radio Berks on Freeview i'll be able to hear the commentary, which as a non Player subscriber I wasn't able to do before (apart from the odd exception).

:)

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 03 Aug 2017 18:35

KC Royal Now that I've got BBC Radio Berks on Freeview i'll be able to hear the commentary, which as a non Player subscriber I wasn't able to do before (apart from the odd exception).

Ooooh! Is that correct? Have FreeView on the old pre-Sky telly in the conservatory - wonder if I can get it to work?? Is it area restricted? Not quite sure how they would do that technically, but I'm sure they would if they could!

Nah, as I suspected, area restricted. Can get BBC Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridge, Essex and London but not Berks. :(

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 03 Aug 2017 19:15

strap
KC Royal Now that I've got BBC Radio Berks on Freeview i'll be able to hear the commentary, which as a non Player subscriber I wasn't able to do before (apart from the odd exception).

Ooooh! Is that correct? Have FreeView on the old pre-Sky telly in the conservatory - wonder if I can get it to work?? Is it area restricted? Not quite sure how they would do that technically, but I'm sure they would if they could!

Nah, as I suspected, area restricted. Can get BBC Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridge, Essex and London but not Berks. :(

Was about to say it is area restricted. Shame you haven't got it, bit surprised I can get it now given that I've got at least 2 of the stations you mention. I'm more likely to listen now, already heard some of Andrew Peach recently along with some of the sports show last Saturday. Doubt I would have listened to any of that otherwise. I remember hearing that at some stage it was going to go on Freeview but then forgot all about it. Wonder now whether I could have listened to the coverage before setting off to Wembley...

double d

by double d » 04 Aug 2017 03:59

Come.on you Rs!!!.i will be listening intently from Forest Greens stadium on my radio!!! 2-0 reading, loader and popper!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 04 Aug 2017 06:02

Expecting more footy related bits on the Peach quest on a Saturday morning when the season starts tomorrow.

And lots of spotty dogs

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Aug 2017 06:22

KC Royal
strap

Was about to say it is area restricted. Shame you haven't got it, bit surprised I can get it now given that I've got at least 2 of the stations you mention. I'm more likely to listen now, already heard some of Andrew Peach recently along with some of the sports show last Saturday. Doubt I would have listened to any of that otherwise. I remember hearing that at some stage it was going to go on Freeview but then forgot all about it. Wonder now whether I could have listened to the coverage before setting off to Wembley...

Word of warning, certainly here in Germany, once the game starts then Berks goes quiet as they don't have the rights to broadcast the game outside the region.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Aug 2017 07:56

STAR Liaison The QPR secretary unilaterally decided to take the apostrophe out of their name in the early 70s (roughly) so it is as per their badge not as per your Matchwatch subject line.

Technically of course you are correct - it should be Queen's Park Rangers just as it still is Queen's Park in Scotland.

As you may know STAR is very hot on apostrophes (even won an award in April) and we look forward to the massed ranks of Reading fans chanting "where's your apostrophe gone?" on Saturday. #openingdaydepression

Thanks Star
Interesting stuff.
And I didn't know STAR was hot on apostrophes. I might now join

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 04 Aug 2017 08:44

Stranded
KC Royal
strap

Word of warning, certainly here in Germany, once the game starts then Berks goes quiet as they don't have the rights to broadcast the game outside the region.

Hapens to me just outside Glasgow. Just get a little tune and a guy with a pleasant voice repeating that it's not available in your area.
Gets a bit boring after 90 minutes

168 posts