Injury watch 2017-18 season

193 posts
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Injury watch 2017-18 season

by windermereROYAL » 09 Nov 2017 09:08

Well I am pretty sceptical on the Manonne injury, the OS is up and running today, surely something as important as this would headline news?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Nov 2017 09:10

Evans' was in training wasn't it? Not sure about Kelly

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 09 Nov 2017 10:07

Sutekh If true it's a real opportunity for Jaakkola to grab which can only be good.

George Legg will presumably take up the no. 2 role.

Shame Bond can't be recalled

This is horrendous news given that young man's performance in midweek.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Nov 2017 10:13

windermereROYAL Well I am pretty sceptical on the Manonne injury, the OS is up and running today, surely something as important as this would headline news?

Chron reporters have tweeted it

i believe a loan can be cancelled at any time if both clubs agree. Also that you can recall in January, if a clause has been put in to allow that. Remember Chelsea recalling Ake last year. Would be a bit rubbish if we had to play a youth keeper whilst we had Bond, performing well apparently, playing in League 1 for another side.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 09 Nov 2017 11:48

Hound
windermereROYAL Well I am pretty sceptical on the Manonne injury, the OS is up and running today, surely something as important as this would headline news?

Chron reporters have tweeted it

i believe a loan can be cancelled at any time if both clubs agree. Also that you can recall in January, if a clause has been put in to allow that. Remember Chelsea recalling Ake last year. Would be a bit rubbish if we had to play a youth keeper whilst we had Bond, performing well apparently, playing in League 1 for another side.

Like I said earlier in the thread, there are special rules for keepers. Presumably because you can shuffle outfield players around if you have an injury crisis, but only a goalie can go in goal.

It doesn't need the agreement of the other club, if we feel he is needed.
If he isn't recalled, that will be because the club doesn't think it's necessary.

A Player on Long Term Loan may not be recalled, except for a goalkeeper or
where the Player is to be transferred permanently by the Club (or club) holding
his registered contract. A Player other than a goalkeeper so recalled cannot be
permitted to play for the Club (or club) holding his registration after such recall
until the end of the Playing Season

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 09 Nov 2017 12:39

Assuming this story is true, we already have a reasonable cover in Jaakola. There is no need to recall Bond yet. Let Legg cover the bench until Jaakola is injured and then call Bond back, that way he continues to get good first team experience until we need him to go straight back into our first team. It would be real kick in the teeth for him to be pulled from playing league football to warming our bench. If he were to be recalled to go straight into the first team ahead of Jaakola that would be pretty damaging to Jaakola's morale too.

If it is true ..

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 09 Nov 2017 12:50

West Stand Man Assuming this story is true, we already have a reasonable cover in Jaakola. There is no need to recall Bond yet. Let Legg cover the bench until Jaakola is injured and then call Bond back, that way he continues to get good first team experience until we need him to go straight back into our first team. It would be real kick in the teeth for him to be pulled from playing league football to warming our bench. If he were to be recalled to go straight into the first team ahead of Jaakola that would be pretty damaging to Jaakola's morale too.

totally agree - and I think it's 24 hours notice too, so could be done early the day before a game if there was a sudden crisis. At most, I reckon, Legg might end up coming on during a single game.

West Stand Man If it is true ..

Yes it's weirdly quiet, if it's true from GR and the OS. Just TalkReading and the Chron. Maybe, given there's an international break anyway, and no game this weekend, the club are keeping the lid on it until they've got a second opinion or something.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Nov 2017 13:39

muirinho
West Stand Man Assuming this story is true, we already have a reasonable cover in Jaakola. There is no need to recall Bond yet. Let Legg cover the bench until Jaakola is injured and then call Bond back, that way he continues to get good first team experience until we need him to go straight back into our first team. It would be real kick in the teeth for him to be pulled from playing league football to warming our bench. If he were to be recalled to go straight into the first team ahead of Jaakola that would be pretty damaging to Jaakola's morale too.

totally agree - and I think it's 24 hours notice too, so could be done early the day before a game if there was a sudden crisis. At most, I reckon, Legg might end up coming on during a single game.

West Stand Man If it is true ..

Yes it's weirdly quiet, if it's true from GR and the OS. Just TalkReading and the Chron. Maybe, given there's an international break anyway, and no game this weekend, the club are keeping the lid on it until they've got a second opinion or something.

Generally the club don't say anything about injuries until matchday reveals an absence that the media then ask about.

Unless the Chronic or JLow or BBC Berks pick up on the rumour and specifically ask then I don't think we'll know anything for sure until Wolves.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Nov 2017 13:45

JLow is on hols this week according to his twitter. Don't think anyone there does anything on the football side except him

Thanks for info muirinho - thats good to know. And agree, Anssi gets a chance, and Bond can stay at Peterboro unless we absolutely need to bring him back

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 09 Nov 2017 13:57

People need to calm down. Jakkola is an able deputy for a few games - we don't need a keeper on the bench. Colin never names a sub keeper so nor should we

Graham's dad

by Graham's dad » 09 Nov 2017 14:58

Goalkeeper Lewis Ward has been recalled from his loan at Hungerford Town.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 09 Nov 2017 15:05

Graham's dad Goalkeeper Lewis Ward has been recalled from his loan at Hungerford Town.

According to Hungerford Town's website "Loanee Goalkeeper Lewis Ward will return to Reading with immediate effect after a higher level club had approached Reading regarding the potential loan"

Thinking out loud - Ward to POSH and Bond to return?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 09 Nov 2017 16:04

If you still hate Futcher
Graham's dad Goalkeeper Lewis Ward has been recalled from his loan at Hungerford Town.

According to Hungerford Town's website "Loanee Goalkeeper Lewis Ward will return to Reading with immediate effect after a higher level club had approached Reading regarding the potential loan"

Thinking out loud - Ward to POSH and Bond to return?

Apparently not. Chronic backpedalling furiously on their 10-week out injury claims, but they also say that Bondy can't be recalled due to the terms of the loan deal. Presumably clauses agreed between the clubs, as opposed to football league rules. If we can believe them of course,

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... st_feared/

VITO Mannone's injury is not as bad as first feared and the Reading FC keeper could even play against Wolverhampton Wanderers

Mannone will now undergo a fitness test next week to determine whether he is ready to face Wolves on November 18 at Madejski Stadium.

If not, Royals will have to battle on without their first-choice keeper and put their faith in Finland international, Anssi Jaakkola.

Jaakkola is currently on international duty ahead of Finland's home friendly against Estonia in Helsinki tonight.

It would also see George Legg promoted to Stam's first-team squad, with Royals unable to recall Jonathan Bond from Peterborough United due to the terms of his loan.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Nov 2017 16:11

:lol:

Fcuking hell, the local journos strike again.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Nov 2017 16:24

@VitoMannone88
I read some untrue rumours since this morning & want to clarify I picked up a minor injury vs derby working hard to be back vs wolves!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Nov 2017 16:38

genome @VitoMannone88
I read some untrue rumours since this morning & want to clarify I picked up a minor injury vs derby working hard to be back vs wolves!

Talk Reading just posted an apology.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Nov 2017 17:38

Ha, great stuff

Some proper mea culpa from Talk Reading chappie going on

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 09 Nov 2017 18:02

genome It's a blow but Jaakola is decent.

I'm thinking the management need to take a look at the physio department because this many injuries in a short space of time can't be coincidental. Are they training too hard or something?

It reminds me of that injury crisis we had in Adkins last season. I remember he often said how they're "working very hard", and I couldn't help but wonder if maybe they were working too hard...Got the impression from comments made by Brian and/or the players that Coppell and McDermott once things were clicking took the opposite approach and in the 2nd half of the season just kept things ticking along. Definitely remember Brian saying that in the 2nd half of one season in his first spell.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Nov 2017 21:32

John Smith People need to calm down. Jakkola is an able deputy for a few games - we don't need a keeper on the bench. Colin never names a sub keeper so nor should we

When you have 7 subs it is criminal not to name a keeper on the bench. Simply ludicrous.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Nov 2017 07:53

Nameless
John Smith People need to calm down. Jakkola is an able deputy for a few games - we don't need a keeper on the bench. Colin never names a sub keeper so nor should we

When you have 7 subs it is criminal not to name a keeper on the bench. Simply ludicrous.

Depends. Some outfield players can make for very decent goalkeepers. Trevor Senior was always more than decent whenever he was called upon, so if you have an outfield player with a decent level of talent then you could get away with it.

I think Kilmarnock used to often not name a keeper when they had Josh Magennis on their books as he was a GK in youth football until he changed to being a striker.

193 posts