Preston fan in peace and ale

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pnealefan

Preston fan in peace and ale

by pnealefan » 18 Aug 2017 15:10

Afternoon Royals,

Just a quick hello and a couple of recommendations for any of you making the trip up to Preston tomorrow for our game, especially those who like a decent ale or two before/after a match.

In terms of beer two places in Preston are pints ahead of anywhere else in terms of price, variety and quality.

On Lancaster Road is The Guild Ale House (PR1 1DD), Preston's first and so far only micropub. With six cask pumps, four keg taps and a fridge full of bottled and canned craft beers the GAH is a city centre bar over two floors that focuses on ale and chat. Currently on the bar are beers from Wishbone, Alchemy, Rivington, Doghouse, Martland Mill, Northern Monkey and Exit 33 brewies whilst for the lager drinkers Paulanher Pils, Paulanher WieB and Bavo Pils are constantly on draught. Aside from beer is a range of ciders with one on draught and three or four others poured straight from the jar. Wine and procesco is also available.

The Guild Ale House is approximately five minutes walk from Preston railway station and twenty minutes walk, or a £5/6 taxi from Deepdale. More information can be found at @GuildAleHouse on Twitter, Guild Ale House on Facebook/Instagram or by ringing landlord Gary on 07932 517444.

The second pub on the list is The Moorbrook (PR1 1NR), easily the best pub in Preston and a handy ten minute walk from Deepale. 8 cask pumps and 5 keg taps serve some of the best ales from the UK and beyond with beers from Wild Weather, Northern Whisper, Great Heck, Rivington, Lines, Blackjack, Thwaites and Bowness Bay breweries on the bar. Thatchers, Guinness, Stella 4 and Campus Pils are on draught for those not into their ale and in the fridge are bottles of Old Mout Cider, Tinnermans fruit beer, Hopf WeiBbeer and Peroni Red. A wide range of spirits and wine is also available. Food wise The Moorbrook serves excellent freshly made pizzas cooked in a woodfired oven from the pub's beer garden located next to a handy second bar for when inside is busy. A BBQ also provides a range of burgers and hotdogs.

The Moorbrook is approximately twenty minutes walk from the station and ten minutes from the ground with the Guild Ale House a handy halfway point. For those in the car, minibus, coach a massive car park is available to the rear at a mere £1.90 a day. For further info check out @TheMoorbrook on Twitter, The Moorbrook on Facebook, http://www.themoorbrook.com or call Rich on 01772 823302.

Other decent pubs in Preston include The Black Horse on Friargate and Ale Emporium on Fylde Road but neither come close to the first two. Police will recommend The Old Vic opposite the railway station, The Adelphi which is a student 'Stonegate' pub just off Fylde Road and The Sumners behind the ground. Whilst the first two are okay The Sumners is dreadful and best avoided, its only real advantage being its closeness to the ground.

Safe journey everyone and hope to see some of you before the game tomorrow.

Kuhl_Runnings

Re: Preston fan in peace and ale

by Kuhl_Runnings » 18 Aug 2017 15:52

Cheers mate, regardless of tomorrow always respected Preston as you're good bunch and a great historical club. Good luck for the season unless you're challenging us for play offs or promotion :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2017 16:18

Not sure if I'm impressed or not that there isn't even the slightest mention of the football match in that post

Still useful info I'm sure for those travelling up.

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 18 Aug 2017 16:45

Getting the train in and so the Guild Ale House actually looks like a good option!

Cheers for posting mate.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Aug 2017 16:50

Hound Not sure if I'm impressed or not that there isn't even the slightest mention of the football match in that post

He says "game" and "ground" twice. That's about it.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Aug 2017 16:51

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 18 Aug 2017 17:18

The clue is in the username pneALEfan. Nice touch for traveling fans and makes a change from the usual “hope you have a good season... starting after tomorrow”

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 18 Aug 2017 19:21

Oilroyal The clue is in the username pneALEfan. Nice touch for traveling fans and makes a change from the usual “hope you have a good season... starting after tomorrow”

I prefer the o/p to all the football talk on the forum.

Have a good pint tomorrow Mr Fan.

Sport Economist

by Sport Economist » 18 Aug 2017 19:35

Can confirm the Moorbrook is excellent - have visited the last two times we have played at Deepdale and left for the ground in a pleasant haze. Thanks for a lovely post.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 18 Aug 2017 21:15

Hound Not sure if I'm impressed or not that there isn't even the slightest mention of the football match in that post

I'm sure Sutekh is working on his/her latest offering as we speak ...

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 19 Aug 2017 07:40

We usually go to The Sumners but the recent reviews don't look too good.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 19 Aug 2017 08:25

maffff
Oilroyal The clue is in the username pneALEfan. Nice touch for traveling fans and makes a change from the usual “hope you have a good season... starting after tomorrow”

I prefer the o/p to all the football talk on the forum.

Have a good pint tomorrow Mr Fan.

Yeah, there's an awful lot of football chat on this portal now you mention it...

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 19 Aug 2017 18:22

The PNE fan was right The Sumners has gone really down hill. Signs outside for Sky Sports but nothing inside. No food served, beer in plastic glasses and the whole place was looking pretty tired. I don't think I'll be returning in future seasons.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 21 Aug 2017 10:23

You should know better than anyone that no one goes to football to watch it.

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1