The Stam passing game

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Stam passing game

by CountryRoyal » 20 Aug 2017 17:30

Avon Royal
genome
Avon Royal
That's not my definition of success, and I hope the team didn't view it as success either.

Good grief

:roll:

I know I'm being very pedantic, but the definition of success is "the accomplishment of an aim or purpose." Whilst it might not have been at the start of the season, it certainly was at Wembley for the last, so in keeping with that definition technically he's right.

But I am being very, very pedantic. Last season was far more than anyone hoped to achieve initially and therefore was very successful - especially taking into consideration all other factors.

Esteban

by Esteban » 20 Aug 2017 19:04

Our problem is in midfield. That's our priority area for me. We need someone who can dictate the pace of the game from the middle of the park, ensure the team move as a unit and is intelligent enough to be able to turn possession into attack very quickly. We could buy any striker you like, we aren't creating enough chances away from home for them to score.

I would rather we spent £10m that player than a striker. I know most will disagree though.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 21 Aug 2017 16:29

I would like to see a Reading side that can switch from the current passing game to the traditional Reading game of 4-4-2 attacking wingers according to the opposition.

Maybe as the quality of our players increases (particularly our striking options) we will be more entertained than we are at present.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Aug 2017 18:20

Esteban Our problem is in midfield. That's our priority area for me. We need someone who can dictate the pace of the game from the middle of the park, ensure the team move as a unit and is intelligent enough to be able to turn possession into attack very quickly. We could buy any striker you like, we aren't creating enough chances away from home for them to score.

I would rather we spent £10m that player than a striker. I know most will disagree though.

I'm in agreement with you. While we have some talented youngsters. We are lacking more experienced heads, that can tackle, read the game better and most importantly drive the team forward. .

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 21 Aug 2017 18:38

Joe Ledley, but he's already turned down 2 Champ clubs, but the type of player/head needed in our midfield

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 Aug 2017 05:46

Lower West
Esteban Our problem is in midfield. That's our priority area for me. We need someone who can dictate the pace of the game from the middle of the park, ensure the team move as a unit and is intelligent enough to be able to turn possession into attack very quickly. We could buy any striker you like, we aren't creating enough chances away from home for them to score.

I'm in agreement with you. While we have some talented youngsters. We are lacking more experienced heads, that can tackle, read the game better and most importantly drive the team forward. .

Danny WIlliams looks like a big loss already!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Aug 2017 08:20

I posted a few days ago mentioning how young, in general, the side is.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=137915

For me that's where the problem lies. We don't have a hard man. We need a bit of thuggery.

PNE went in boots flying, by all accounts, and to manage to remove 2/3 of our creativity in two hits was impressive, however "wrong" you might think it is.

I believe Stam is playing down our chances this season because "he doesn't want" to go up this year, or maybe even next year. We are adding skill every window (but not weight, aggression, nastiness). But may of our starters are seriously young.

The youngest from this list should improve a hell of a lot, and if we still have them, three years down the line, the mid-field should look awesome. But we need that thuggery, that guy or those guys that put a boot in, frighten the opposition.

We are currently boys against men, and the way to beat us is to hit us hard, exactly as QPR did. Mackie deserved two yellows, got in our faces, wound RFC up. They didn't LET US play.

Let our fairy-feet do their thing and they can be excellent (esp if JVDB is playing) but force us to rush and we just down have the personnel to play long ball.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 22 Aug 2017 08:36

If you don't enjoy this style of football you may as well just go and watch rugby or something. This is the future and I count ourselves lucky that Stam is implementing it on us early from youth all the way through. How can you not enjoy watching your own team dominate possession and the game. The only problem I can see in the team is the missing striker which needs to be addressed

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 26 Aug 2017 19:12

Hopefully the likes of Edwards can put a but of that guile in for us. Doesn't mind a tackle.

Also, there's a great deal at Reading's sponsor Wickes this weekend, buy one get on free on 2.5l tins of paint, if you'd rather watch some dry than persevere with our style.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Aug 2017 20:20

I'd really hope games like Preston when were bullied become a thing of the past

If we line up like we did today with Edwards in for Kelly, and maybe Popa or McCleary in for Barrow - we really should not be bullied by anyone

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 26 Aug 2017 20:32

Hound I'd really hope games like Preston when were bullied become a thing of the past

If we line up like we did today with Edwards in for Kelly, and maybe Popa or McCleary in for Barrow - we really should not be bullied by anyone

Seems the high press is our weakness right now.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Aug 2017 20:50

I'm not sure. Sometimes we play against that very well, and obv the more the oppo forwards press, the more tired they get etc - which is all part of the Stam
Plan

Sometimes we can get bullied and sometimes when we play poorly we look all over the shop

If we could pick up Oliveira for example would be very confident in our squad tbh. Don't see any glaring weaknesses at all

Esteban

by Esteban » 26 Aug 2017 20:55

Hound I'm not sure. Sometimes we play against that very well, and obv the more the oppo forwards press, the more tired they get etc - which is all part of the Stam
Plan

Sometimes we can get bullied and sometimes when we play poorly we look all over the shop

If we could pick up Oliveira for example would be very confident in our squad tbh. Don't see any glaring weaknesses at all

Wouldn't mind seeing another CB come in. VDB and Evans are OK at filling in, but not great.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Aug 2017 21:09

Hound I'd really hope games like Preston when were bullied become a thing of the past

I'd be concerned that Edwards in for Kelly would remove too much of the rhythm and tempo to our play... Kelly is the heartbeat of the team for me. I'd be thinking more along the lines of Kelly, Bacuna, Edwards as the first choice midfield.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Aug 2017 21:17

Snowflake Royal

I'd be concerned that Edwards in for Kelly would remove too much of the rhythm and tempo to our play... Kelly is the heartbeat of the team for me. I'd be thinking more along the lines of Kelly, Bacuna, Edwards as the first choice midfield.

Agreed, wouldn't want to be without Kelly or swift in the 11

But nice to have the option there that if the opposition is intent on being physical, we have the players to deal with it. Yann coming back helps that as well in 6 weeks or so

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Aug 2017 21:18

I'm beginning to think I don't want anymore signings, because someone I want to see perform will suffer for anyone who comes in now.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Aug 2017 21:31

Snowflake Royal I'm beginning to think I don't want anymore signings, because someone I want to see perform will suffer for anyone who comes in now.

Quinn may be on his way out. With Edwards signing we have a better mix of experience and youth in midfield.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Aug 2017 23:45

Esteban
Hound I'm not sure. Sometimes we play against that very well, and obv the more the oppo forwards press, the more tired they get etc - which is all part of the Stam
Plan

Wouldn't mind seeing another CB come in. VDB and Evans are OK at filling in, but not great.

If we are playing 3 CBs then Obita at LB and Blackett at CB cover on the bench is perfect

Evans JVDB and the Scandinavian kid is a lot of cover

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Aug 2017 23:48

Partly agree

I'd see a robust "hard`' team) (esp away from home)
for the first half, then Kelly et al second half

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Aug 2017 00:15

Snowball
Evans JVDB and the Scandinavian kid is a lot of cover

Plus Andressen of course.....