EFL Cup third-round draw will take place in Beijing at 04:15 BST on Thursday

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

EFL Cup third-round draw will take place in Beijing at 04:15 BST on Thursday

by Greatwesternline » 21 Aug 2017 17:23

Courtesy of the BBC:

An EFL spokesman said: "We understand that not everyone will agree on the timing of this week's round three draw, but in staging in this way it will give the competition both the maximum exposure in the UK, Chinese and South East Asian markets.

"This is not only an important factor for the EFL but also our new sponsors Carabao, who, like ourselves, plan to use the growing global appeal of the competition to reach new audiences."

There will be no live coverage anywhere of the draw - on television or online - but details will be released on social media.

You really have to ask yourself what the EFL think the purpose of their organisation is. Is it to maximise the exposure of their tournament to wider markets, or is it to organise football competitions for clubs and fans based in, you know, the E in their EFL branding.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: EFL Cup third-round draw will take place in Beijing at 04:15 BST on Thursday

by bobby1413 » 21 Aug 2017 17:30

I can see it now...

Reading vs Millwall home game will be moved to 0415 HRS in order to allow those in China to watch it

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: EFL Cup third-round draw will take place in Beijing at 04:15 BST on Thursday

by Lower West » 21 Aug 2017 17:31

Unlikely to extend the appeal of that awful drink.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 21 Aug 2017 17:31

What's the point of doing it there and not even broadcasting it?

Or is it just badly written and it will actually be broadcast in the far east?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Aug 2017 17:32

Seriously :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All ready for the next hilarious mess of over complicated and unnecessary mechanics to select a ball from the proverbial hat? Though that's probably why the draw will be at such a "difficult" time.

And imagine the growing appeal in the Asian markets of watching PL and FL largely reserve teams slog out games in a competition they aren't really bothered about until they get to the SFs

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 21 Aug 2017 19:24

Venue: birds nest stadium

Drawing the balls: Donald trump,saint and greavsie.

FA adjudicator: Nigel Howe

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Aug 2017 03:23

Seeings how I'm still in Hong Kong this is great.

Any chance of moving the game today to like mid day kick off instead of 8.00 would be awesome as well. K thanks. :lol:

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 Aug 2017 05:45

Lower West Unlikely to extend the appeal of that awful drink.

Have you not tried it with Vodka (no it doesn't get any better)

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Aug 2017 09:16

I thought I'd seen people get upset by some pretty pointless stuff on here but not being able to watch a couple of ex-pros pick numbered balls out of a plastic bowl? That's the worst one yet

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Aug 2017 10:24

In all seriousness, I am open to extending to the global market and that there is massive opportunity in China but surely the EFL (clue in the name) should be the priority? And what's with it not being broadcast - afraid they might make a mistake?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 22 Aug 2017 10:29

John Smith In all seriousness, I am open to extending to the global market and that there is massive opportunity in China but surely the EFL (clue in the name) should be the priority? And what's with it not being broadcast - afraid they might make a mistake?

Given the shambles the previous two draws have been, I think mistakes are pretty much guaranteed. Maybe 4.15am is giving them time to resolve their errors before the target audience wakes up.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Aug 2017 10:33

Silver Fox I thought I'd seen people get upset by some pretty pointless stuff on here but not being able to watch a couple of ex-pros pick numbered balls out of a plastic bowl? That's the worst one yet

Much like Game 39, this is the thin end of a very long wedge which ends with games being scheduled for times suitable for the Asian market.

If the Asian Market would pay the EFL more money than ticket gates for all Saturday games to be played at times more suitable for them would you be happy?

Ideas like game 39, or ordinary matches being played in asia will be easier to push through if english punters have already got used to things like cup draws taking place in asia during asian prime time hours.

Absolutely standard practise for introducing unpopular things is to do it bit by bit so you never even notice when its gone.

The fact that 5 premier league matches aren't played at 3pm every weekend is daft, but it seems normal now because every other season a new time slot is introduced.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Aug 2017 10:35

Yep, I remember when Saint and Greavsie did the draw at Trump Tower and we started playing games at midnight so they could be shown in US primetime

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Aug 2017 13:54

My sources are indicating that the EFL will be taking charge of the World Cup draw in December

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Aug 2017 22:16

Reading through. Who do you want in the third round?

I'm reckoning on getting drawn away at Burton and Sunderland but actually playing Stoke at home.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 22 Aug 2017 22:46

They should draw the home teams on the Tuesday, the away teams on a Wednesday, and then do another special draw on the Thursday to swap round the fixtures a bit so they suit the TV audiences.

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 22 Aug 2017 23:16

I cannot see that the clubs will be too bothered where the draw will be made if they cannot be that bothered with the early rounds of the competition itself.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Aug 2017 07:41

Nextdrawisjust straightforward isn't it ? No seeding, no regiolisation, no clubs requesting away draws.
Agree that where and when the draw is made makes no odds. It'll be on a website when we wake up.
Having the FA cup draw on TV at 5 pm on Saturday after each round is a tradition that should not be changed but who cares about the league cup draw....

Accrington away would be an amazing draw though....

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 23 Aug 2017 08:26

Nameless Nextdrawisjust straightforward isn't it ? No seeding, no regiolisation, no clubs requesting away draws.
Agree that where and when the draw is made makes no odds. It'll be on a website when we wake up.
Having the FA cup draw on TV at 5 pm on Saturday after each round is a tradition that should not be changed but who cares about the league cup draw....

Accrington away would be an amazing draw though....

Yeah, this one is pretty simple. So it should only take a couple of hours for them to send out the 'clarification' afterwards.

"We would like to point out that Reading FC will in fact be playing at home to Doncaster and not away to Rigel VII as original stated."

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 23 Aug 2017 08:40

Out of interest why is everyone so keen on playing Accrington away?