CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

191 posts
Double d v2
Member
Posts: 498
Joined: 16 Dec 2017 16:07

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Double d v2 » 14 May 2018 22:28

Snowflake Royal wrote:I thought he was alright to be honest. Some poor games, some decent. If I was to rank our midfielders based on performance this season it would probably be:

Kelly
Bacuna
Edwards
Evans
Berg
Swift
Aluko

This is nothing more than damning him with faint praise of course.


What a sorry bunch that lot are

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3132
Joined: 13 Jul 2004 13:32

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Royalwaster » 14 May 2018 23:18

Double d v2 wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:I thought he was alright to be honest. Some poor games, some decent. If I was to rank our midfielders based on performance this season it would probably be:

Kelly
Bacuna
Edwards
Evans
Berg
Swift
Aluko

This is nothing more than damning him with faint praise of course.


What a sorry bunch that lot are


But you know their performances were made worse by tactical ineptitude - i.e. playing lightweight but creative midfielders but with no proper DM.

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3278
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Old Man Andrews » 15 May 2018 08:44

Dave Edwards is a spineless nice guy who wants to be loved by everyone. He shouldn't have been signed and he shouldn't be here come August. Club should be doing all they can to pay him off and release him or offload him to bloody Shrewsbury. He can take the rest of the midfield with him.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3132
Joined: 13 Jul 2004 13:32

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Royalwaster » 15 May 2018 09:39

Old Man Andrews wrote:Dave Edwards is a spineless nice guy who wants to be loved by everyone. He shouldn't have been signed and he shouldn't be here come August. Club should be doing all they can to pay him off and release him or offload him to bloody Shrewsbury. He can take the rest of the midfield with him.


Pay him off? What kind of planet are you on?

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3278
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Old Man Andrews » 15 May 2018 09:49

Royalwaster wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:Dave Edwards is a spineless nice guy who wants to be loved by everyone. He shouldn't have been signed and he shouldn't be here come August. Club should be doing all they can to pay him off and release him or offload him to bloody Shrewsbury. He can take the rest of the midfield with him.


Pay him off? What kind of planet are you on?


Yes it is pretty common in football. The two parties come together and agree a settlement figure based on his wages. He goes somewhere to play first team football and we get rid of a lemon. Everyone wins.

You're making out as if he is on astronomical wages, he isn't.


Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3132
Joined: 13 Jul 2004 13:32

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Royalwaster » 15 May 2018 09:51

What are his wages then?

And so you'd be happy to spend a substantial part of our transfer kitty on paying off players?

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3278
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Old Man Andrews » 15 May 2018 09:59

Royalwaster wrote:What are his wages then?

And so you'd be happy to spend a substantial part of our transfer kitty on paying off players?


*Player

You wouldn't need to pay him anywhere near the full amount of his wages. The norm for players of his age and contract length is to sit down with their agents and explain that he is not in the clubs future plans and won't get game time. The two parties come to an arrangement to then cancel the contract and receive a percentage of their remaining wages and then have the luxury of being able to pick and choose their next club. It is very common in football and other team sports. I work in this sort of field so have a reasonable idea on the process of contract breaks/negotiation.

User avatar
Hendo
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3192
Joined: 25 Mar 2012 20:53

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Hendo » 15 May 2018 10:01

Old Man Andrews wrote:
Royalwaster wrote:What are his wages then?

And so you'd be happy to spend a substantial part of our transfer kitty on paying off players?


*Player

You wouldn't need to pay him anywhere near the full amount of his wages. The norm for players of his age and contract length is to sit down with their agents and explain that he is not in the clubs future plans and won't get game time. The two parties come to an arrangement to then cancel the contract and receive a percentage of their remaining wages and then have the luxury of being able to pick and choose their next club. It is very common in football and other team sports. I work in this sort of field so have a reasonable idea on the process of contract breaks/negotiation.


Remind me, who was the last player from a top 2 division club to do this? Rather than, you know, just whittling his contract down.

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 19611
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by genome » 15 May 2018 10:11

Edwards hasn't been totally horrific...

He hit bad form and started costing us points towards the end of the season, was rightly dropped, and then we promptly lost 3-0 and 4-0 to Wednesday and Ipswich. Did fine against Cardiff and earlier on in the season he scored some goals and did okay.

I'm not saying he's a world-beater, but he's a okay backup option.


User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3278
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Old Man Andrews » 15 May 2018 10:18

Hendo wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
Royalwaster wrote:What are his wages then?

And so you'd be happy to spend a substantial part of our transfer kitty on paying off players?


*Player

You wouldn't need to pay him anywhere near the full amount of his wages. The norm for players of his age and contract length is to sit down with their agents and explain that he is not in the clubs future plans and won't get game time. The two parties come to an arrangement to then cancel the contract and receive a percentage of their remaining wages and then have the luxury of being able to pick and choose their next club. It is very common in football and other team sports. I work in this sort of field so have a reasonable idea on the process of contract breaks/negotiation.


Remind me, who was the last player from a top 2 division club to do this? Rather than, you know, just whittling his contract down.


Top 2 divisions do not tend to do it so much due to the players wages being so high. If you have a look down the leagues you'll see it more often. Point with Edwards is he knows he isn't getting younger and he will have a fair idea he won't be anywhere near first choice next season. The sort of guy he appears to be from the outside is someone who wants to play football and isn't in the game for the money.

User avatar
Hendo
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3192
Joined: 25 Mar 2012 20:53

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Hendo » 15 May 2018 10:20

Old Man Andrews wrote:
Hendo wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
*Player

You wouldn't need to pay him anywhere near the full amount of his wages. The norm for players of his age and contract length is to sit down with their agents and explain that he is not in the clubs future plans and won't get game time. The two parties come to an arrangement to then cancel the contract and receive a percentage of their remaining wages and then have the luxury of being able to pick and choose their next club. It is very common in football and other team sports. I work in this sort of field so have a reasonable idea on the process of contract breaks/negotiation.


Remind me, who was the last player from a top 2 division club to do this? Rather than, you know, just whittling his contract down.


Top 2 divisions do not tend to do it so much due to the players wages being so high. If you have a look down the leagues you'll see it more often. Point with Edwards is he knows he isn't getting younger and he will have a fair idea he won't be anywhere near first choice next season. The sort of guy he appears to be from the outside is someone who wants to play football and isn't in the game for the money.


Ah right, so it is very common in football, but not in the top two divisions, which is where we happen to be playing. Gotcha.

Theroyalbox
Member
Posts: 854
Joined: 23 Sep 2012 15:29

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Theroyalbox » 15 May 2018 10:21

Old Man Andrews wrote:
Hendo wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
*Player

You wouldn't need to pay him anywhere near the full amount of his wages. The norm for players of his age and contract length is to sit down with their agents and explain that he is not in the clubs future plans and won't get game time. The two parties come to an arrangement to then cancel the contract and receive a percentage of their remaining wages and then have the luxury of being able to pick and choose their next club. It is very common in football and other team sports. I work in this sort of field so have a reasonable idea on the process of contract breaks/negotiation.


Remind me, who was the last player from a top 2 division club to do this? Rather than, you know, just whittling his contract down.


Top 2 divisions do not tend to do it so much due to the players wages being so high. If you have a look down the leagues you'll see it more often. Point with Edwards is he knows he isn't getting younger and he will have a fair idea he won't be anywhere near first choice next season. The sort of guy he appears to be from the outside is someone who wants to play football and isn't in the game for the money.


Happened with Jese's loan deal at Stoke this year

User avatar
Hendo
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3192
Joined: 25 Mar 2012 20:53

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Hendo » 15 May 2018 10:24

Theroyalbox wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
Hendo wrote:
Remind me, who was the last player from a top 2 division club to do this? Rather than, you know, just whittling his contract down.


Top 2 divisions do not tend to do it so much due to the players wages being so high. If you have a look down the leagues you'll see it more often. Point with Edwards is he knows he isn't getting younger and he will have a fair idea he won't be anywhere near first choice next season. The sort of guy he appears to be from the outside is someone who wants to play football and isn't in the game for the money.


Happened with Jese's loan deal at Stoke this year


Is Edwards on loan then? Must've missed that :!:


Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3132
Joined: 13 Jul 2004 13:32

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Royalwaster » 15 May 2018 10:35

So basically Old Man Andrews is talking absolute bollox ... Edwards is in his early 30s, he's hardly going to agree to anything less than his full contract, unless he knows he can find another contract elsewhere ... and anyway the club would be seriously mad to pay off the wages of a player who has featured in most games last season.

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3278
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Old Man Andrews » 15 May 2018 10:35

Hendo wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
Hendo wrote:
Remind me, who was the last player from a top 2 division club to do this? Rather than, you know, just whittling his contract down.


Top 2 divisions do not tend to do it so much due to the players wages being so high. If you have a look down the leagues you'll see it more often. Point with Edwards is he knows he isn't getting younger and he will have a fair idea he won't be anywhere near first choice next season. The sort of guy he appears to be from the outside is someone who wants to play football and isn't in the game for the money.


Ah right, so it is very common in football, but not in the top two divisions, which is where we happen to be playing. Gotcha.


Yes because of the high wages. Not rocket science is it? Do you need some pictures to accompany the words? Will that help you get your head round it? Mutal terminations happen in football was the general point made, I didn't make reference to divisions.

Dave Edwards is not going to be on masses of money per week is he? Even if it is 20k a week we wouldn't have to pay all of that under a mutual termination. It all depends on his ambitions and how keen he is for first team football. My point is he doesn't seem the type to be happy not playing so it is worth the club at least offering the mutual termination. Not sure what is so unbelieveable about that.

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3278
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Old Man Andrews » 15 May 2018 10:37

Royalwaster wrote:So basically Old Man Andrews is talking absolute bollox ... Edwards is in his early 30s, he's hardly going to agree to anything less than his full contract, unless he knows he can find another contract elsewhere ... and anyway the club would be seriously mad to pay off the wages of a player who has featured in most games last season.


How is it bollocks? Mutual terminations are a part of football and have been for a long time.

You've literally just said he would take a mutal agreement too and explained a circumstance that isn't beyond the realms of possibility you thick tw*t.

Double d v2
Member
Posts: 498
Joined: 16 Dec 2017 16:07

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Double d v2 » 15 May 2018 10:41

Old Man Andrews wrote:
Royalwaster wrote:What are his wages then?

And so you'd be happy to spend a substantial part of our transfer kitty on paying off players?


*Player

You wouldn't need to pay him anywhere near the full amount of his wages. The norm for players of his age and contract length is to sit down with their agents and explain that he is not in the clubs future plans and won't get game time. The two parties come to an arrangement to then cancel the contract and receive a percentage of their remaining wages and then have the luxury of being able to pick and choose their next club. It is very common in football and other team sports. I work in this sort of field so have a reasonable idea on the process of contract breaks/negotiation.


What do you work as? I work in the sports industry too.... chances are we have come across each other?

Also what wages is DE on?

User avatar
Hendo
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3192
Joined: 25 Mar 2012 20:53

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Hendo » 15 May 2018 10:41

Old Man Andrews wrote:
Hendo wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
Top 2 divisions do not tend to do it so much due to the players wages being so high. If you have a look down the leagues you'll see it more often. Point with Edwards is he knows he isn't getting younger and he will have a fair idea he won't be anywhere near first choice next season. The sort of guy he appears to be from the outside is someone who wants to play football and isn't in the game for the money.


Ah right, so it is very common in football, but not in the top two divisions, which is where we happen to be playing. Gotcha.


Yes because of the high wages. Not rocket science is it? Do you need some pictures to accompany the words? Will that help you get your head round it? Mutal terminations happen in football was the general point made, I didn't make reference to divisions.

Dave Edwards is not going to be on masses of money per week is he? Even if it is 20k a week we wouldn't have to pay all of that under a mutual termination. It all depends on his ambitions and how keen he is for first team football. My point is he doesn't seem the type to be happy not playing so it is worth the club at least offering the mutual termination. Not sure what is so unbelieveable about that.


Chillax m9, I simply asked the question when the last time it happened in the top two divisions (as that is where Reading are playing). If it doesn't happen in those divisions, it isn't really relevant to us/Edwards, thus making it a bit unlikely to happen.

£20k/week = £1,040,000. How much would we have to pay him to mutually terminate his contract then, seeing as you know so much about this?

Double d v2
Member
Posts: 498
Joined: 16 Dec 2017 16:07

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Double d v2 » 15 May 2018 10:42

Theroyalbox wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
Hendo wrote:
Remind me, who was the last player from a top 2 division club to do this? Rather than, you know, just whittling his contract down.


Top 2 divisions do not tend to do it so much due to the players wages being so high. If you have a look down the leagues you'll see it more often. Point with Edwards is he knows he isn't getting younger and he will have a fair idea he won't be anywhere near first choice next season. The sort of guy he appears to be from the outside is someone who wants to play football and isn't in the game for the money.


Happened with Jese's loan deal at Stoke this year


No he just refused to play and has disappeared from Stoke, whilst still getting payed by his parent club.

So, you know, nothing like this.

User avatar
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 33345
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 10:02
Location: From the Andes to the indies in my undies

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Silver Fox » 15 May 2018 10:43

Kes-like struggles here from OMA, just don't try any complicated analogies fella

191 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 71 guests

It is currently 23 Sep 2018 04:43