Oxford - Reading

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Oxford - Reading

by Ark Royal » 08 Sep 2017 19:41

Cannot possibly see how Headington can be deemed as our fiercest local rivals. They are just annoying little arrivistes, even compared to Aldersh*t. Our first league game against them was not until 1965, compared to Aldersh*t in 1932 and Sw*ndon in 1920. For me, and historically, it has to be Sw*ndon: a long history of games against them going back to the latter part of the 19th century.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 08 Sep 2017 19:52

bobby1413
FiNeRaIn Oxford holds some good memories for me, back when football felt more special and there was still that buzz and hope surrounding it. I am not saying it was the best or most fierce derby for either team, but it was still a good old fashioned local rivalry played by two unfavorable teams in traditional grounds and it had something about it. Checking 390 on teletext was how i'd find the team if dial up was lagging, a very different era now.

I had just started supporting Reading in about 1997 when I moved to the area and the first derby I went to we lost 0-2 at home, their lad Murphy hit a screamer from outside the box after Beauchamp skinned his man and cut the ball back, I remember it well. Went to the return game at the Manor and we won 1-3, nice full away end, rowdy, loud and there were a lot of trouble before the game which added to the tension. I think Reading fans had smashed up a pub a few streets away. Was this the game where they had two awful goalkeeping performances and the " whose been eating Gm foods chant"? I also remember the 4-3 and it pissing down, Rougier scored the winner through the soaking wet pitch on his knees.

Went to the two league cup wins, the first was spicy and tense, the second drew less Oxford fans but the away end was still pretty full, wasn't quite the same second time around. Oxford fans were starting to realize the gap and didn't care as much, we also fielded a weaker team.

I really miss the old terracing, less media surrounding the games and the lack of exposure and ridiculous money made it more fun and unexpected. It also felt a much more tight knit community if I am honest. The players seemed more like normal, working class lads with much more affiliation for the fans than they do now. They seemed invested in the team and the fans themselves were very different. I remember seeing the same faces at most away games and becoming familiar with them for their nicknames or names printed on their shirt like ginger kev, ferret,etc, the big bald guy taking his shirt off at Swindon and Oxford to name a few. Always great banter in the pubs and on the terraces.

I was there up until about 4 years ago but I started to fall out of love with the game with money taking over and the realization that in order for us to ever really progress we'd need to spend a bucket load. Even then it'll never garner the respect from the footballing world, " plastic mercenaries" bla bla bla. High player turnover, ridiculous wages and transfer fee's, insane ticket prices, huge gap in affiliation between fans and players and everyone trying to suck as much money out the game as possible makes me glad I am not a teenager growing up in these times. I am sure some older fans than I felt it was probably even better in the earlier 90's. Some things have changed for the better don't get me wrong, I just miss the days where it felt more innocent and unexposed. I am sure people have a different take.

I still follow from abroad and look forward to going to a game when i'm back but I doubt it'll never feel as special as it did through my teenage years and early 20's with my dad, mates and the same old fans i'd see every week. The buzz around " what could be" for Reading was huge back then too. I think of the derbies with Oxford right in there with this.

Good post

no it isn't....

it's just a standard "I'm getting older post and things aren't as good as when I was a teenager" post

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Sep 2017 19:58

Oxford was always the biggest rival for me, followed by Aldershot, then Swindon, although there wasn't a lot in it. Oxford and Aldershot always had a greater edginess to it home and away.

Not sure how the rivalries would play out these days, we haven't played any of them for the 13 years.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 08 Sep 2017 20:18

BR0B0T no it isn't....

it's just a standard "I'm getting older post and things aren't as good as when I was a teenager" post

There's always someone who gets on their high horse. About as solid of a contribution as your previous post in this thread.
Last edited by FiNeRaIn on 08 Sep 2017 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 08 Sep 2017 20:20

FiNeRaIn
BR0B0T no it isn't....

There's always someone who gets on their high horse.

yeah it was you!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 08 Sep 2017 20:21

BR0B0T
FiNeRaIn
BR0B0T no it isn't....

yeah it was you!

Any worthwhile contributions or do you have a history of trying to derail a thread for personal snipes?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 08 Sep 2017 20:22

BR0B0T
FiNeRaIn
BR0B0T no it isn't....

yeah it was you!

You're never of your tall horse BroBot, stop disrupting the hobnobbers

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 08 Sep 2017 20:22

bobby1413
BR0B0T
FiNeRaIn

yeah it was you!

You're never of your tall horse BroBot, stop disrupting the hobnobbers

faggots

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 08 Sep 2017 20:42

BR0B0T faggots

I find that offensive and demand you apologise with immediate effect

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 09 Sep 2017 20:54

FiNeRaIn
BR0B0T no it isn't....

I remember a derby at The Manor Ground one year. Outside there was a mounted policeman, watching the crowds as they left after the game. Blackie walks past and shouts up "...and you can get off your high horse 'n' all!"

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 10 Sep 2017 00:25

FiNeRaIn
BR0B0T
FiNeRaIn

yeah it was you!

Any worthwhile contributions or do you have a history of trying to derail a thread for personal snipes?

I read your 1st post and I was just about to say that you seemed to have grown up, but then I read some of your replies.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 10 Sep 2017 01:53

oldebiscuit
FiNeRaIn
BR0B0T
yeah it was you!

I read your 1st post and I was just about to say that you seemed to have grown up, but then I read some of your replies.

Weird conclusion seeing as I was the one randomly being attacked, and wasn't the person calling people "faggots", but hey ho. Have a good weekend.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 11 Sep 2017 23:56

LUX
Jackson Corner I don't remember Oxford taking the Southbank?

April 1977. Carnage as they left towards the end and attacked the home fans leaving the Town end.

To be complete Northampton and Sheff Wed ( on a week night) did too.

Pompey worse Elm Park trouble by a mile.[/quote

I didn't start going to 78 I remember Sheffield Wednesday that was a Friday night game played on snow. I went in the town end for a ruck only to find they were in the Southbank! How did they get in there? Had the police felt sorry as it was cold and snowy and let them go undercover?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Sep 2017 10:45

BR0B0T no it isn't....

I wish everybody on here would have the balls to post as honestly as BR0B0T

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Sep 2017 12:08

Jackson Corner
LUX
Jackson Corner I don't remember Oxford taking the Southbank?

April 1977. Carnage as they left towards the end and attacked the home fans leaving the Town end.

I didn't start going to 78 I remember Sheffield Wednesday that was a Friday night game played on snow. I went in the town end for a ruck only to find they were in the Southbank! How did they get in there? Had the police felt sorry as it was cold and snowy and let them go undercover?

Remember those games. Just out of interest as I don't recall any such event, but did Reading actually ever 'take' an end/side? Not to my knowledge.

boycey

by boycey » 12 Sep 2017 16:00

Norfolk Royal
Jackson Corner
LUX

Remember those games. Just out of interest as I don't recall any such event, but did Reading actually ever 'take' an end/side? Not to my knowledge.

Not since the late 90's - early 2000's when the WASU was at its peak.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 12 Sep 2017 20:48

The league cup win 5-1 at the manor was a good day out - circa 1979, was in the days when the league cup started before the league season as I am sure it was on a Saturday.

Plenty of trouble and 2 of the coaches were bricked after the game.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 12 Sep 2017 20:52

Norfolk Royal Remember those games. Just out of interest as I don't recall any such event, but did Reading actually ever 'take' an end/side? Not to my knowledge.

Actually I can!
11 December 1976. FAC2. Wycombe 1 Reading 2 (Robin Friday both of them).
Bitterly cold and snowy. At Loakes Park. "We" 'occupied' the home shed - which was the middle of a terrace resembling a smaller version of the South Bank until half time, when the Wycombe "hardcore" reclaimed their place and, as usual, we scarpered.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 13 Sep 2017 08:35

grey_squirrel
Norfolk Royal Remember those games. Just out of interest as I don't recall any such event, but did Reading actually ever 'take' an end/side? Not to my knowledge.

Actually I can!
Bitterly cold and snowy. At Loakes Park. "We" 'occupied' the home shed - which was the middle of a terrace resembling a smaller version of the South Bank until half time, when the Wycombe "hardcore" reclaimed their place and, as usual, we scarpered.

So more of an accidental temporary 'taking' rather than a concerted and sustained effort.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 13 Sep 2017 19:25

Norfolk Royal
grey_squirrel

Actually I can!

So more of an accidental temporary 'taking' rather than a concerted and sustained effort.

that wasn't a specified requirement of your post, but either way, yeah probably right.