Our Strongest Championship side??

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Our Strongest Championship side??

by CountryRoyal » 30 Aug 2017 12:47

I'd say Pontus Jansson is the best CB in the league.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 30 Aug 2017 13:05

Given the number of players Stam has signed/amount of money spent, anything less than a top 6 finish would be a failure IMO.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Aug 2017 13:08

CountryRoyal I'd say Pontus Jansson is the best CB in the league.

I was not expecting the opinion that Moore is "one of if not the best CB in the Championship" to be so controversial..

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Aug 2017 13:29

NewCorkSeth

I was not expecting the opinion that Moore is "one of if not the best CB in the Championship" to be so controversial..

Was referring to Elm who reckons Dawson is the best. 100% agree I think Moore is up there.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Aug 2017 14:30

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth

Was referring to Elm who reckons Dawson is the best. 100% agree I think Moore is up there.

Throw in Ben Gibson as another.
I like Moore but have severe doubts about all the others and, as one poster pointed out, this is more or less the same defence as conceded all those goals last year.
Apart from a better central striker I would still like to see us sign a decent central holding midfielder to shield that defence-from what I have seen neither Joey nor Evans are good enough-Edwards is more of a box-to-box player and from what I have seen of him Bacuna is more of a full/wing-back but maybe he is stronger than I thought and could play in that role.

We certainly look to have a lot of options going forward even if so many appear similar and it will be interesting to see who else Stam may be able to bring in.

As for comparisons with the 106 side I feel that Kitson, Doyle, Sidwell and Marcus were a long way ahead of what we have in their positions now but we certainly do have numbers which is handy for if and when injuries crop up.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Aug 2017 14:45

Moore is undoubtedly top 10 in the league, if not top 3.

At times last year, we were playing a very callow Blackett and Joey at the back, and others with Gunter at CB. Or the likes of inexperienced and rusty Oxford. Realistically this really shouldn't happen this year.

You'd genuinely do well to get a better player in their respective positions than Obita, Blackett, Moore, Ilori or Gunter in this division. McShane is good to have as well, if not the most talented.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 30 Aug 2017 14:56

Hound Moore is undoubtedly top 10 in the league, if not top 3.

At times last year, we were playing a very callow Blackett and Joey at the back, and others with Gunter at CB. Or the likes of inexperienced and rusty Oxford. Realistically this really shouldn't happen this year.

You'd genuinely do well to get a better player in their respective positions than Obita, Blackett, Moore, Ilori or Gunter in this division. McShane is good to have as well, if not the most talented.

You obviously did not go to the Man Utd game to see the error Liam Moore made for Rashfords goal.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Aug 2017 15:06

Victor Meldrew
CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth I was not expecting the opinion that Moore is "one of if not the best CB in the Championship" to be so controversial..

I like Moore but have severe doubts about all the others and, as one poster pointed out, this is more or less the same defence as conceded all those goals last year.
Apart from a better central striker I would still like to see us sign a decent central holding midfielder to shield that defence-from what I have seen neither Joey nor Evans are good enough-Edwards is more of a box-to-box player and from what I have seen of him Bacuna is more of a full/wing-back but maybe he is stronger than I thought and could play in that role.

We certainly look to have a lot of options going forward even if so many appear similar and it will be interesting to see who else Stam may be able to bring in.

As for comparisons with the 106 side I feel that Kitson, Doyle, Sidwell and Marcus were a long way ahead of what we have in their positions now but we certainly do have numbers which is handy for if and when injuries crop up.

O don't think we can infer how strong our defence is by how many goals we conceded last season.
New manager, different style of play, transfers in needing time to gel, injuries and plenty of other factors created that problem last season.
This season our defenders should be better at working together after a year of training together and getting used to the tactics.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Aug 2017 15:08

NewCorkSeth
Victor Meldrew
CountryRoyal

O don't think we can infer how strong our defence is by how many goals we conceded last season.
New manager, different style of play, transfers in needing time to gel, injuries and plenty of other factors created that problem last season.
This season our defenders should be better at working together after a year of training together and getting used to the tactics.

I hope you are right.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 30 Aug 2017 15:12

Victor Meldrew Bacuna is more of a full/wing-back but maybe he is stronger than I thought and could play in that role.

Definitely not a wing back. Birmingham he played deeper alongside JVB and they worked well together breaking up play.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Aug 2017 15:25

LWJ
Victor Meldrew Bacuna is more of a full/wing-back but maybe he is stronger than I thought and could play in that role.

Definitely not a wing back. Birmingham he played deeper alongside JVB and they worked well together breaking up play.

That's promising then-I just have a picture in my mind from his Villa days of moving forward at pace out wide-if he turns out to be that holding midfielder we need then good.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Aug 2017 15:28

mambo3

You obviously did not go to the Man Utd game to see the error Liam Moore made for Rashfords goal.

I did see it yep. And you're right, on the basis of one mistake in a shocking all round team display, I agree he should be completely written off as a decent CB

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 30 Aug 2017 15:41

Think our squad is upper mid table. Hopefully with decent management we can push further than that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Aug 2017 16:01

Can't be @rsed to create new thread on this, but Obita has signed a new 3 year deal

Obv good news

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Aug 2017 16:12

Hound Can't be @rsed to create new thread on this, but Obita has signed a new 3 year deal

Obv good news

Great news

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Aug 2017 16:19

mambo3

Yeah, Dom Sam would never have made that error.

cornflake

by cornflake » 30 Aug 2017 16:22

NewCorkSeth
Hound Can't be @rsed to create new thread on this, but Obita has signed a new 3 year deal

Obv good news

Great news

EXCELLENT !!!
I was worried that we were going to lose him.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 30 Aug 2017 16:26

savage 4 england Think our squad is upper mid table. Hopefully with decent management we can push further than that.

It was more than one mistake and yes he had a bad day at the office but the best that can be said is that he has the potential to be one of the best but he has to get these silly mistakes out of his game

mambo3

by mambo3 » 30 Aug 2017 16:27

:?:
Snowflake Royal
mambo3

Yeah, Dom Sam would never have made that error.

:?:

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Aug 2017 18:34

2010/11 squad for me. Some very talented players all over the pitch. Could of achieved more.