Our Strongest Championship side??

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Our Strongest Championship side??

by Nameless » 30 Aug 2017 18:57

savage 4 england Think our squad is upper mid table. Hopefully with decent management we can push further than that.

So you take a team that loses the playoffs on penalties, add to it significantly and somehow it is half a dozen places worse ?
Simply don't see the logic there.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 30 Aug 2017 19:07

Nameless
savage 4 england Think our squad is upper mid table. Hopefully with decent management we can push further than that.

So you take a team that loses the playoffs on penalties, add to it significantly and somehow it is half a dozen places worse ?

Think Stam did a fantastic job and the players had great attitude last season. I still think our squad in terms of ability was middle of the road last season. It's more than ability that can define a season..

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Aug 2017 19:36

savage 4 england
Nameless

Think Stam did a fantastic job and the players had great attitude last season. I still think our squad in terms of ability was middle of the road last season. It's more than ability that can define a season..

So why wouldn't it continue to do so?

The side should be just as together as before. They're still underrated and not fancied. We've improved the squad. There isn't a Newcastle in the division anymore.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Aug 2017 19:38

Tbf, some very good tactical play and an excellent ability to hold onto a lead probably got a 'mid-table' squad higher than you would expect

We are certainly a lot stronger on paper this year. So if Stam and his team continue to instil the tactical and mental side he did last year, would expect us to be challenging

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Aug 2017 20:12

Victor Meldrew As for comparisons with the 106 side I feel that Kitson, Doyle, Sidwell and Marcus were a long way ahead of what we have in their positions now but we certainly do have numbers which is handy for if and when injuries crop up.

If I could pick 1 player from the 106 team to play in the current side without a doubt I'd pick Kitson. Great goalscorer who defends from the front and can drop deep to bring other players into play. I think he'd have been an absolute monster in Stan's setup.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Aug 2017 20:32

Currently, I'd put this squad in the top 4. Will of course re-evaluate as the season goes on.

This side doesn't have nearly the same quality as Coppell's side. Gunter would get in the team ahead of Murty, and maybe Kelly or Evans would be ahead of Harper. Other than that, the 106 side was clearly better right across the pitch. As others have mentioned, this squad has better depth, but the "lack of depth" didn't harm the 106 side, did it? I'd certainly trade the four 106 wingers for our current six...

I don't think the current first team (whatever it may be!) stands out as better than last year's or indeed any of our other successful Championship sides (including Clarke's team who were worldbeaters for a month and McDermott's first squad who would have been promoted if Rodgers had got them playing like that). However, our bench, and the players who aren't making the bench, looks better than ever.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Aug 2017 20:41

From Despair To Where?
Victor Meldrew As for comparisons with the 106 side I feel that Kitson, Doyle, Sidwell and Marcus were a long way ahead of what we have in their positions now but we certainly do have numbers which is handy for if and when injuries crop up.

If I could pick 1 player from the 106 team to play in the current side without a doubt I'd pick Kitson. Great goalscorer who defends from the front and can drop deep to bring other players into play. I think he'd have been an absolute monster in Stan's setup.

Murty. Gunter's shit. :wink:

SCIAG Currently, I'd put this squad in the top 4. Will of course re-evaluate as the season goes on.

This side doesn't have nearly the same quality as Coppell's side. Gunter would get in the team ahead of Murty,

Only over my dead body. :wink:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 31 Aug 2017 07:16

SCIAG Currently, I'd put this squad in the top 4. Will of course re-evaluate as the season goes on.

This side doesn't have nearly the same quality as Coppell's side. Gunter would get in the team ahead of Murty, and maybe Kelly or Evans would be ahead of HarperOther than that, the 106 side was clearly better right across the pitch. As others have mentioned, this squad has better depth, but the "lack of depth" didn't harm the 106 side, did it? I'd certainly trade the four 106 wingers for our current six...

I don't think the current first team (whatever it may be!) stands out as better than last year's or indeed any of our other successful Championship sides (including Clarke's team who were worldbeaters for a month and McDermott's first squad who would have been promoted if Rodgers had got them playing like that). However, our bench, and the players who aren't making the bench, looks better than ever.

:shock: :shock:
Why many people still hold such a view on Harps is beyond me
Fundamental part of the 106 team not just in terms of his ability and his playing contribution but I always felt he was the driving force , the heart of the team

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Sep 2017 13:03

Vito
Gunter Ilori Moore Obita

Edwards Evans Swift

McCleary Aluko Barrow

That front 3 would scare any defence in this division, with the ball at their feet

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Sep 2017 13:17

The problem is there are about 6-8 clubs which genuinely think they have the squads for a top 2 finish, and about 15 who think they can at least make playoffs or a decent push for it.

As with every season it seems it will be as competitive as ever and you'll have teams that are expected to do well who don't, and there will be the surprise packages.

Esteban

by Esteban » 01 Sep 2017 13:19

Our real strength is our bench. I think we'll see a lot of rotation in the midfield and up front. We'll be able to change formations smoothly with one sub and bring on serious talent, all of which should be fit and well rested.

Imagine chasing the ball for 70 minutes, then seeing fresh, fast, powerful forwards or skillful midfielders coming on to run you ragged even more.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2017 16:36

CountryRoyal The problem is there are about 6-8 clubs which genuinely think they have the squads for a top 2 finish, and about 15 who think they can at least make playoffs or a decent push for it.

As with every season it seems it will be as competitive as ever and you'll have teams that are expected to do well who don't, and there will be the surprise packages.

I think we have an advantage there in that we have that squad, we have an established manager who's proved his credentials and we have demonstrated a strong team ethic and success last year.

But, all it takes is a few early poor performances and a dip in confidence and that's your chances of top 4 potentially gone if you don't have the mental fortitude and ability to recover. It's why teams like McDermott's can win the league. Belief backed up with teamwork and effort is just as important, if not more so, than ability in the Championship.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Sep 2017 20:28

bcubed

This side doesn't have nearly the same quality as Coppell's side. Gunter would get in the team ahead of Murty, and maybe Kelly or Evans would be ahead of HarperOther than that, the 106 side was clearly better right across the pitch. As others have mentioned, this squad has better depth, but the "lack of depth" didn't harm the 106 side, did it? I'd certainly trade the four 106 wingers for our current six...

Fundamental part of the 106 team not just in terms of his ability and his playing contribution but I always felt he was the driving force , the heart of the team

I rate Harper highly and actually thought he brought almost as much to the side as Sidwell. I just think any combined side would have to play 4-4-2, and none of our current midfielders (maybe Bacuna or Edwards?) would make good partners for Harper. Evans would cover a few of Sidwell's weaknesses really well, particularly positional play, discipline, and passing range. Bring him in for Harper and you'd be losing some energy but gaining some vision (and incidentally some size and strength). I'd put it something like 65-35 in Harper's favour.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Sep 2017 20:51

Esteban
Imagine chasing the ball for 70 minutes, then seeing fresh, fast, powerful forwards or skillful midfielders coming on to run you ragged even more.

Remember the night Manure came to the Madstad. Fergusson brought Rooney, Giggs and Ronaldo off the bench. My heart sank..........

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Sep 2017 20:54

bcubed the heart of the team

Team being the operative word. That's the skill of a top manager. Making the team better than the sum of the individual parts. Stam has to work his magic to create that blend.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 06 Sep 2017 14:53

bcubed

Don't know about the "heart of the team" but agree with you that these views on Harper are a bit off.

It tends to be forgotten that Sidwell missed a chunk of that 106 season with injury yet we didn't lose any momentum. Of course partly that was down to Bryn's ability as a replacement but I'd wager Harper's influence went someway to making it work. Equally worth noting that we were playing 2 in central midfield at a time when a lot of teams played with 3.

Seriously underrated player for us in my view.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 02 Oct 2017 13:32

:lol: