BFTG (H) Brizzle

136 posts
Esteban

Re: BFTG (H) Brizzle

by Esteban » 11 Sep 2017 21:05

I think the level of disappointment on here is testament to the success we enjoyed last season. And that was not down to millions of pounds of investment, it was due to Stam's system and tactics.

We are short of a top striker, but we have improved our forward line and midfield. It needs time, but it will get better.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Sep 2017 21:49

mambo3
BR2
BR2

Wrote a long reply but have lost it you readers will be glad to know-it was mainly to agree with leon for this and his earlier posts..
In essence it said that Gunter can't defend and that if we make more chances in a game the odd misses don't matter-whilst we rely so much on trying to keep a clean sheet (with defenders that are unreliable) we need strikers to convert the few chances that we make (admittedly a few more on Saturday) and Bod doesn't look to be a great finisher.

The way we are set up what half decent out and out striker is going to wanna play for us if he don't want to track back or play in several positions . not exactly a career move is it. We will only get strikers that have no other alternative then us so I'm guessing come Jan we will
get a unknown foreign striker that plays in the lower leagues in another country.

Don't know how much he would cost now but maybe we should look at Josef Martinez from Atlanta Utd in the MLS - Venezuela National (so presumably able to get a work permit), 24 years old, lightning fast and has scored 10 goals in 12 games this season! No good hoofing the ball up to him route one - he's only 5 ft 7in!

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 11 Sep 2017 22:26

Also think that Rakels would have buried one of those chances as well. But we will never know now that he has been doomed to the Polish League

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Sep 2017 01:33

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal I blame maffff and his stats. I thought he'd posted up a good goalscoring record for him bar a shit last season for Villa.

You're right, some players will push others out and so on. The point is, we've added goals to midfield and forwards and Kermorgant isn't necessarily going to contribute nothing. Beerens might score the same amount off the bench. YOU DON'T KNOW MAN!!!!! :?

Which at the end of the day is what it comes down to. No one really knows, just like if we signed a 20 goal a season striker who's to say he wouldnt have done his cruciate on his debut? In a world of ifs and buts there are few certainties in football and in life, one being we're in a hell of a better position than we were a couple of years ago and I think it's testament to how far we've come that our dissatisfactions are of this nature. At least we're going into games expecting to be competitive and get a positive result.

Sorry, that caps bit was meant to be very flippant.

Haha I know it was but i thought it was an interesting thing to highlight because ultimately all this speculation is just that.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Sep 2017 08:11

3points Also think that Rakels would have buried one of those chances as well. But we will never know now that he has been doomed to not be good enough to play the Polish League

Amended for you.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Sep 2017 11:49

Finally seen the goal on video from Saturday. Cracking assist from Gunter :lol:

biff

by biff » 12 Sep 2017 13:57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydsDFUsto64

Sam Smith's brace for the U23s. Right place, right time, strikers goals.... :?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Sep 2017 13:59

biff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydsDFUsto64

Sam Smith's brace for the U23s. Right place, right time, strikers goals.... :?

How does this relate to the Bristol City match?

biff

by biff » 12 Sep 2017 14:28

JDB was dogshit at finishing, Sam Smith may not be. Doesn't take much of a mental stretch to link the two eh?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Sep 2017 16:13

biff JDB was dogshit at finishing, Sam Smith may not be. Doesn't take much of a mental stretch to link the two eh?

I think for you to come on here and start rubbishing new signings three games into their Reading career is the behaviour of an ostrich. Is your head in the sand? Whilst wearing a Shane Long printed shirt from the '07 season? Is it?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 12 Sep 2017 16:59

biff JDB was dogshit at finishing, Sam Smith may not be. Doesn't take much of a mental stretch to link the two eh?

Honestly you might as well watch Netball. You'd probably understand it better.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 12 Sep 2017 17:00

LWJ
Y21
WAZZOCK
When you say 'same old, same old from last season', are you alluding to the form that saw us lose two out of twenty three?

Yup. And I still don't understand how we made it the play off final playing the same dreary negative football. I will gladly bet a lot that if we play the same way throughout this season we will finish an awful lot lower than 3rd. I used to love the SSC way of playing. Get it out to the wing, take 'em on and get balls into the box. This possession style just ain't for me, it is tedious, slow and blunt football.

Bottom half or top? Il offer you £1k we finish top 10 - to your £2k we finish bottom 14

Presume you aren't taking this bet?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Sep 2017 17:54

This is the Sam Smith who reportedly looked out of his depth against Millwall reserves, when we had to go to extra time to beat them?

biff

by biff » 12 Sep 2017 23:37

Not writing off JDB, or saying Sam Smith is the answer, but in the same week, one was pretty shite at finishing, whilst one was quite good. Didnt think it would cause tears. :shock:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 13 Sep 2017 01:12

If we got a Chris Wood-type in this team he'd be right up our alley..and manager and club and fans et al would look like gravy. (Even tho, Wood hadn't done nowt and had been injury prone 2 years prior). Small margins and all that, but that's what we need, and are trying to find, as are other teams.
So, we took a punt on Bod (who may improve, and may at least contribute)...and then we are waiting on 36 year old Yann to return (who will score a few).
Meanwhile, this div is brutal. If we stay in it, I'm proud. And if we make a run sometimes, all the better. Everyone bitches when we get in the PL anyway, so what the hey.
Was there in 4th div days, but enjoy reading young folk who get it.

div often and hav to say, some of the younger folk these days have some smarts and get it

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 13 Sep 2017 06:44

Denver Royal If we got a Chris Wood-type in this team he'd be right up our alley..and manager and club and fans et al would look like gravy. (Even tho, Wood hadn't done nowt and had been injury prone 2 years prior). Small margins and all that, but that's what we need, and are trying to find, as are other teams.
So, we took a punt on Bod (who may improve, and may at least contribute)...and then we are waiting on 36 year old Yann to return (who will score a few).
Meanwhile, this div is brutal. If we stay in it, I'm proud. And if we make a run sometimes, all the better. Everyone bitches when we get in the PL anyway, so what the hey.
Was there in 4th div days, but enjoy reading young folk who get it.

div often and hav to say, some of the younger folk these days have some smarts and get it

The absolute state of this post...

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 13 Sep 2017 16:52

biff Not writing off JDB, or saying Sam Smith is the answer, but in the same week, one was pretty shite at finishing, whilst one was quite good. Didnt think it would cause tears. :shock:

Those of us who follow the club in all fixtures would be well aware of why Sam Smith is not the answer. Having watched him in pre-season, and the cup games...

JDB had a brilliant game at Birmingham, and showed why he has been bought. Maybe some of us didn't think people would be crying after 1 game.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 Sep 2017 17:31

biff Not writing off JDB, or saying Sam Smith is the answer, but in the same week, one was pretty shite at finishing, whilst one was quite good. Didnt think it would cause tears. :shock:

To be honest the first of Smith's goals should have been an easy tap in after a horrendous keeper error but he really didn't finish it convincingly.
You could easily say JDB scored a cracker at Birmingham while Smith struggled for 115 minutes against a poor Millwall side to make any kind of impact.
Danger of drawing conclusions from a small sample size....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Sep 2017 17:53

I suspect even if Stam dropped Dadi (highly unlikely) Clement, McCleary, Aluko, Barrow and Mendes would all be more likely to start up top than Smith

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Sep 2017 23:51

LWJ

Honestly you might as well watch Netball. You'd probably understand it better.

Bit harsh LWJ, without knowing biff's actual views on the subject he was just literally pointing out the insinuation of the previous post regardless of his own beliefs.

136 posts