BFTG (H) Brizzle

136 posts
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG (H) Brizzle

by leon » 10 Sep 2017 13:24

windermereROYAL
leon
windermereROYAL My take on yesterday, the performance was on par with the villa game for me, that game got plenty of plaudits on here because we won, this time we lost, so the knee jerkers surface again.
I certainly believe there is plenty to optimistic about, however the age old striker dilemma will always be there every time we lose.

Because either you're a 100% die hard or fickle knee jerker?

What is it with football fans that everything is so black and white?

There were positive signs but still there remains issues with the way we play.

Well I would like to ask you this question?
How would you prefer we play, like the same under Adkins, Clarke, and McDermott (2nd time) route one football languishing in the lower reaches of the division , or playing controlled football and a top half finish and possible play-off spot?
Sometimes we have to be careful what we wish for.
I say it has I see it, too many people look at a loss and it`s a bad performance, the same way they see a win as a good one.
We won loads of games last year without playing well.

I don't think you understand what route one is/was.

Adkins and Clarke teams were also guilty of over playing. Certainly wasn't route one. Nor was BMs team really.

This question proves my point really. Either you play like Barcelona or you play like John Becks Cambridge? Ridiculous.

I don't particularly like the style of play. Passing games doesnt = the relentless passing between defenders and keeper.

McGhee and Coppell and to an extent Pardew showed that.

yuomi

by yuomi » 10 Sep 2017 13:33

JDB's performance in particular, while talked to death on here, gets worse every time i think about it and even more so since i've seen the replays. What we have here is a guy who needs to be able to take the ball on, hold it up and finish who cannot take the ball on, hold it up or finish. He was CONSTANTLY getting pulled out to the right, where he is even less comfortable than in front of goal and, for a guy his size, did naff all with his head. We CANNOT persist in playing him as a lone striker because he simply can't do it. I'm bewildered that we invested time and money into getting him here when his skill set is so inappropriate for how we play. His record suggests that those misses (and 2 of them were carbon copies) weren't evidence of a bad day, but more of the type of player he is i.e. not a finisher. It's all well and good having Barrow and Aluko playing great balls into the box but you need someone in there who can do something with them. I accept that the club tried and failed to get targets in on and before the d/l. But Bodvarsson is salt in that wound right now.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 10 Sep 2017 13:53

I get that JDB missed an absolute sitter yesterday, but he still looked a lot better than Brizzle's No 9 - beware what you wish for in a 5m quid striker! He looked like an expensive version of Mendes/Manset. tbf - Leeds new striker got a couple and he's only on loan I believe

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 Sep 2017 14:22

RoyalBlue
Y21 Wasn't there, but reading these comments it seems like the same old same old from last season. Ponderous build up and no cutting edge? A passing/possession game is only any good if played at pace, otherwise it is just tedious and gives the oppo too much time to get themselves back into shape and then you've got to be better than we are to get past them.

No, you are getting the shyte tinted glasses view of the game, which is usually fastest out of the blocks, including the obligatory slating of Gunter (I must have missed the calamitous mistake that led to their goal).

There were quite a lot of occasions during the game when we moved the ball around and attacked with real pace, including one prolonged spell at the start of the second half when we threatened to completely overrun Bristol - we were just short of anyone who can take chances (many of them were easy chances too). Edwards also missed an easy chance when he passed the ball into the arms of a grateful keeper (tbf it was his very first touch when he had only been on for seconds). Far too many of our players are scared to shoot and look to pass the ball on instead. Again Edwards was guilty of this, actually turning away from goal when well placed to shoot (can't help thinking Evans would have had a go for goal if similarly positioned).

Their keeper also pulled off a terrific save to deny us (can't remember who shot) before they took the lead.

Had JDB taken his chances, or had we had a natural goalscorer on the pitch, people would have been talking about this game in very positive terms.

Agree with this, I was really enjoying the game until that sucker punch at the end, there was some seriously good football on display.

Was an error by Gunter - he tried to head the ball clear but didn't control it right, so it ended up being back across goal rather than away from goal. But I wouldn't call it calamitous by any manner of means, and it's not like he was the only defender back there. Also think Mannone should have saved the goal anyway. But it wasn't those two that lost the game, it was the misfiring at the other end. Having said that, I'm not going to start screaming about the attackers, all teams have one of those days when nothing goes in.

I've always thought it's much tougher to be a defender or goalie than a striker in lots of ways. If you miss 5 goal-striking opportunities and get 1, you'll get cheered. But if you clear 5 dangerous balls, and mess up once, you're slated.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 10 Sep 2017 14:25

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Sep 2017 14:33

Might have been a good idea to bump up the opposition BFTG thread, it`s always an enjoyable read.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 10 Sep 2017 17:34

Well that was a bummer. Admittedly I haven't seen it again, but surely that had to be red card ?
Clear goal scoring opportunity etc ?
Although probably Joey was down for a second yellow shortly afterwards.
All credit to a pretty crap Brizzie,with no talent, but through sheer hard work and massive slice of luck, took the three points.
IMHO:
Mannone 5: Poor decision making, and probably should have made the save.
Gunter 5: Slightly below par performance;but I am assuming it was his s**t header which gave away the goal.
Blackett 7: Did OK.
McShane 6: In his agricultural guise.
Liam 6: Bit of a messy performance; good and bad in equal measure. Is our plan B, really throwing him up front ?
Kelly 7: Did OK, but couldn't get into the game.
Bacuna 7: Liked him, might be what we have been looking for.
Joey 5: Oh dear.
Mo 8: MOM, I assume he was taken off because he was shot ?
Dada 3: Why on earth did we buy him ? I would rather play a "false" nine like Pelle, which seemed to work quite well, the other week.
Aluko 6: Looked as if he didn't want to be there for much of the game;until he saw his win bonus disappearing down the pan.

Roy: Usual, flash in the pan
Edwards: Ditto Dada;why ?
Macca: Will our best player ever re-emerge ?

As mentioned above shocker of a ref.

Don't think we will go down, there are at least three worse teams than us, and even on Saturday with this team;there were a good twenty minutes of excellent driving play; but we need ninety minutes of that effort in this division.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Sep 2017 17:35

Hound Seen the highlights etc now. Bod's second miss ewas ghastly and think Mannone could possibly have saved the shot. Still some of the build up play looked impressive

Just seems like a massive missed opportunity. Last year with very rare exceptions, we were scraping through these games.

No real point bleating about the striker signing. We tried and we were priced out. Stam highlighted players who would do a good job and their clubs priced us out. End of really. Yann should be back soonish hopefully

Just watched them too. Can't believe between them Bod and Barrow missed three absolute sitters. Not to mention the top save their keeper pulled off from Bacuna. Kelly had a decent crack too.

Gunter's never put in a better assist in his life. WTF was he thinking.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Sep 2017 17:38

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Strap wrote: Bodvarsson is NOT a striker. 3 goals in 42 apps for Wolves last season is evidence enough, never mid the bambi-on-ice attempts today.

Bodvarssson.... First time I have seen our new striker.

Holds the ball well, can't win a header, has no pace and has two left feet. What matches, videos did our scouts watch to make the decision to sign the player.

Probably more than the one you've seen him in live.

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 10 Sep 2017 18:08

royalp-we All too casual at times. As others have said, need to keep the tempo up throughout the game. Bristol were crap. I think thats most fans biggest frustration. But, I saw plenty to be optimistic about.

Mannone did so well under the high Bristol press. AAH would have crumbled in that game with our back passing.

Defence was sound otherwise. The high press didn't allow our full backs out much.

We bossed the midfield (apart from headers!). I think Bacuna showed some glimpses of real quality. VDB got caught out a few times. Kelly was class; although really needs to start carrying the ball forward more imo.

Lastly, JDB had a bad day finishing. The Brum game showed what he's all about - I think hes comung in for some unfair criticism and people's memories are too short. Fcuk me, he missed like, 2 chances? Barrow and Aluko were wayward with theirs, too.

All that said - I'm really excited to see how the Barrow / Bod / Aluko partnership comes together over the coming weeks. Now we have a run of games they will get better and better.

Agreed! We weren't bad and JDB was in all the right positions which is something better than what we've had often in the past. He had a bad day and he'll bury far more than 3 this season!

Noticing more and more how irrational and reactionary our fans are becoming. Almost as if they forgot how shit we were before Stam came in, and how we were dominated in games for quite a while! Get. A. Grip

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Sep 2017 18:42

As Stam said, games like this happen - you really should win, miss some easy chances then they sucker punch you. Was an oddity that it just didn't last year

Bod was bought to score goals despite the poor record last season. Correct or not, Stam sees him as having the ability to score 15+ given the right service

As stated, the fact he got in those positions and got the chances shows he has the instinct. Would be far more worried if he didn't get the chances in the first place

It's a massive missed opportunity and a poor result - but at this stage not much beyond that

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 10 Sep 2017 18:46

Bloke in front of me was hilarious yesterday. Moaning when we kept possession at the back wanting the ball p,aged forward. Then screaming irately when we hoofed the ball upfield to no one in particular. We really aren't set up to play any long balls as there are too many gaps between our players.

el_presidente

by el_presidente » 10 Sep 2017 19:17

George Evans and Sam Smith probably the two most frustrated men after that

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 10 Sep 2017 20:18

Bad day at the office, I think everyone can be guilty of overreacting after yesterday myself included, the results will come and when we can combine our pace going forward with the final ball and finish we will be a threat to be reckoned with.

Flint was the best player on the park by a country mile and pretty much won the game for Bristol by himself whether thats because he was made to look good im not so sure. Won every 50/50 header, solid in the challenge and led from the back by example so fair play to him he deserved the winning goal. I do question Stam's decision to not include Mendes as has been mentioned on here already I think he could have made a difference with his size and power.

As for JVDB I really do question the performance rating of 8, yes he made tackles and yes he hits the odd brilliant switch ball but how many times does he want to give the ball away in his own half? (I am not only talking about yesterday but across the season so far it is becoming an all too familiar site) I like his no nonsense style and it is rare to find in the game now but too often does he find himself in that situation where he is one mistimed tackle from a red card.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 10 Sep 2017 20:35

The calls for Sam Smith are ludicrous in my book - presumably these are the same people that wanted Samuel to lead the line last season?

SS would have been absolutely bullied by their two centre backs yesterday :lol:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 10 Sep 2017 23:24

royalsroyalsroyals92
royalp-we All too casual at times. As others have said, need to keep the tempo up throughout the game. Bristol were crap. I think thats most fans biggest frustration. But, I saw plenty to be optimistic about.

Mannone did so well under the high Bristol press. AAH would have crumbled in that game with our back passing.

Defence was sound otherwise. The high press didn't allow our full backs out much.

We bossed the midfield (apart from headers!). I think Bacuna showed some glimpses of real quality. VDB got caught out a few times. Kelly was class; although really needs to start carrying the ball forward more imo.

Lastly, JDB had a bad day finishing. The Brum game showed what he's all about - I think hes comung in for some unfair criticism and people's memories are too short. Fcuk me, he missed like, 2 chances? Barrow and Aluko were wayward with theirs, too.

All that said - I'm really excited to see how the Barrow / Bod / Aluko partnership comes together over the coming weeks. Now we have a run of games they will get better and better.

Agreed! We weren't bad and JDB was in all the right positions which is something better than what we've had often in the past. He had a bad day and he'll bury far more than 3 this season!

Noticing more and more how irrational and reactionary our fans are becoming. Almost as if they forgot how shit we were before Stam came in, and how we were dominated in games for quite a while! Get. A. Grip

We are all aware how shit we were before Stam came in. At the time you were probably saying how great we were.

I also like your view that a strikers successful season is getting more than three goals.

Aim high.

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 11 Sep 2017 00:35

leon
royalsroyalsroyals92

We are all aware how shit we were before Stam came in. At the time you were probably saying how great we were.

I also like your view that a strikers successful season is getting more than three goals.

Aim high.

At the time, I thought the club was in decline and needed a change from the turgid rubbish that we got every week, as that was what our previous managers thought would win football games. I'm not very happy with the style of this manager is what got us third last year and on it's day is incredibly slick and classy. I just get pissed off with the team winning and everyone saying we are dead certs for promotion and then losing and suddenly we are relegation fodder. People sitting around me seem increasingly content to just complain and moan the entire game instead of supporting the team - and surprisingly go quiet when we start doing well. That's not what I thought supporting a football team entailed - and it's definitely never been this bad in the last 17 years I've been a season ticket holder! Personally - I don't understand it. If they want to watch a team play and be exciting like Barcelona yet still get results to achieve the promotion, they're probably at the wrong club, league or country to witness that.

I don't think 3 goals is great, but my point is I think JDB will exceed his averages. I reckon he'll be on 10/15. I never thought Kermorgant would score that many, but he managed it last year. So far for RFC, he's had 1 bad game and scored 1 in 3 appearances. Hardly terrible so far, but too many are quick to judge. Would love to see the look on their face if they had to watch Bas Savage up top

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Sep 2017 07:50

Watched the game on iFollow and frankly still can't figure out how we lost that. We absolutely tore them to shreds at the start of the 2nd half and should have been out of sight.

JDB's miss will haunt him for the rest of his career, hit it so badly that it didn't even roll towards the player on the back post (McCleary?). Despite that, he constantly found decent space and made some intelligent runs - first half when Kelly shot he made a great run and should have been played in. The clamour that this shows we need a more clinical striker is the obvious response but no professional footballer should have made a contact like that with the ball - it was a horrible moment which if replayed 1000 times would probably not happen again. Hopefully he'll get over it quickly and the fans let him get over it else it could destroy his confidence and season.

City couldn't handle Barrow or Aluko - the fact that Aluko made more key passes that anyone in the Championship shows why we bought him in. They will destroy a lot of teams this year and when they tire, we can bring on Beerens, McCleary (if fit), Clement to give them something else to worry about.

Lots of positives from the defeat - biggest negative for me is we don't have a game Tuesday to put it right meaning we will lose ground and likey drop a few places. This team will still be looking for a play-off place more than anything else this season but it needs to click quickly.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Sep 2017 08:00

For us to replace Kermorgant's goals we're talking about the rest of the team far exceeding their own individual goal scoring proficiency that they have previously achieved in this country. That's a big ask, and if it happens will be a far greater achievement than last season. The numbers simply don't add up. We need Kermorgant back quickly and even then, can he replicate his goal scoring form of last season? No guarantees of that at all. Dadi, Barrow and Aluko missing chances isn't a "bad day at the office", it perfectly represents their weaknesses which is finishing. This isn't news. Their goal scoring records are proof enough even without listening to fans of their previous clubs who said and warned us as much. For them to just magically snap their fingers and they are a different player who will get goals is not only naive but delusional.

This team is exciting and it will trouble defences, but without a striker capable of actually doing the one thing you need to do to win games there's a certain ceiling to what we can achieve, and it certainly isn't going to be the playoffs.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 11 Sep 2017 09:07

Don't think we did much wrong, tbf. Sometimes you have to tip your hat to the away side.

136 posts