MATCHWATCH : Brentford (a) sponsored by the search for Reading's first half goal

101 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Brentford (a) sponsored by the search for Reading's first half goal

by Sutekh » 13 Sep 2017 09:56

When : Saturday 16th September, 3pm
Where : Griffin Park, London, TW8 0NT
Capacity : 12,763
Away Stand : Brook Road Stand
What might I see in the area : Brentford Nylons

Well after the luckless affair last Saturday Reading get a chance to redeem themselves at a venue where, when they're bad, they're usually very bad.

Brentford have had a surprisingly poor start to their season that has seen just 3 draws from 7 games but that won't make things any easier in yet another local derby that isn't really.

Brentford, it seems, have been playing rather better than their results suggest and Sheffield Wednesday were mighty relieved to snatch a win on Tuesday night after coming from behind - and by all accounts should really have been dead and buried long before their equaliser.

Injuries for Reading amount to the usual faces although Obita is a possibility at left back (most likely on the bench, if at all). Whether Kelly is injured after his substitution v Bristol is still currently unknown to us mere punters but I expect it will be a case of perm anyone from the same squad available on Saturday.

Brentford have major doubts over Sergei Canos and Henrik Dalsgaard as well as still coming to terms with the loss of Jota, Maxime Collin and Harlee Dean to Birmingham on deadline day.

Referee

The next official up to demonstrate the fine art of refereeing is Cleveland's Tony Harrington

Previous

21 Feb 2017 > Huddersfield Town 1-0 Reading
10 Dec 2016 > Reading 2-1 Sheffield Wednesday
06 Feb 2016 > Reading 0-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers
26 Sep 2015 > Burnley 1-2 Reading
01 Oct 2014 > Leeds United 0-0 Reading

Historically

Reading have won roughly a quarter of the league games played at Brentford (10 out of 41) while losing on 19 occasions. Brentford have won 5 of the last 7 league games played between the sides (W5, D1, L1). Looks like Reading will have to score at least once to get anything from the game as Reading have failed to keep a clean sheet at Griffin Park since the days of Steve Death and 17 Sep 1973 came along. That's a total of almost exactly 44 years and 20 games :lol: (but then Reading have only ever kept 2 clean sheets in the league at Griffin Park so perhaps that isn't really a surprise).

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to Griffin Park
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Brentford (a) sponsored by the search for Reading's first half goal

by Hound » 13 Sep 2017 10:01

don't have a good feeling about this one

Brentford seem to have dominated every game they've played. Think they lost a game at Ipswich 2-0 when they had something like 30 shots on goal to Ipswich's 4

They are either terrible up front, or something is about to click for them.

Caskeys Lovechild

Re: MATCHWATCH : Brentford (a) sponsored by the search for Reading's first half goal

by Caskeys Lovechild » 13 Sep 2017 10:31

Suspect this is a mauling waiting to happen....
Yay! :shock:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 Sep 2017 11:13

Saw the highlights of their game at Villa park, desperately unlucky not to win, last night too looks like they were unfortunate. think we will need our A game to get anything there.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Sep 2017 11:29

i'm guessing they are similar to last season but without the cutting edge of Vibe/Jota

Always likely to concede silly goals is the one thing I'm hoping for

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Sep 2017 11:42

If they're dominating but failing to strike the killer blow surely we'll cancel each other out?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Sep 2017 11:00

genuinely intrigued as to what side he'll pick with Obita and Swift back fit. Also Edwards been with us a couple of weeks now

First real time Stam will be having to leave fit capable players out of the squad altogether. Be interesting.

Can't decide whether I think this will be another away day thrashing against a side surely in a false position, or whether we are due our usual bounce-back-from-cr@p-defeat-victory

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 15 Sep 2017 11:15

Brentford have won 5 of the last 7 league games played between the sides (W5, D1, L1).

Didn`t we win 3-1 at Griffin park a couple of years ago. and 3-2 at home last season?

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 15 Sep 2017 11:20

windermereROYAL Brentford have won 5 of the last 7 league games played between the sides (W5, D1, L1).

Didn`t we win 3-1 at Griffin park a couple of years ago. and 3-2 at home last season?

We got tonked there 4-1 September 2016. You're correct about the 3-1 home score line last season though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Sep 2017 11:26

was 3-2 at home last season (most entertaining match of the season imo), and 4-1 away

think you're right about the 3-1 the season before under Clarke. Blackman scored a couple I think

Za Vas

by Za Vas » 15 Sep 2017 11:36

Yep - I drunkenly declared to many friends that we would win the league after that performance. Many lolz were had at my expense.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Sep 2017 11:43

Hound think you're right about the 3-1 the season before under Clarke. Blackman scored a couple I think

What a day that was.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 15 Sep 2017 12:01

thanks

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Sep 2017 12:13

I think we'll score an early headed goal from a corner tomorrow. In front of an erupting away end. Enjoy those of you who are travelling

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Sep 2017 14:30

I reckon we'll win this one. I have backed us £100 at 3.6 on Bet365 to get the result.

After a dissapointing defeat at home to City we really need to bounce back here at Griffin Park and get the points. We are falling behind the leading pack. This is quite an important game early in the season for us.

The Bees are in the bottom 2 for a reason. My mate at work who is a Bees fan says that they don't defend well. We saw that last season at our place where they threw away a 2-1 lead. If we go there with the same swagger that we showed at home to Villa and away to Birmingham I think we'll be able to outclass them. Hopefully Stam will go with a similar line-up as he did away to Brum and that should see us get the right result.

The Bees have lost a lot of key players. They have brought in quite a few new faces too but that will take time to gel together. It won't be easy and our lads will have to be on their game, but if they do that then I'm predicting a classy 3-0 victory for the Royals.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Sep 2017 14:53

Saw that 2 of their best attacking talent - Canos and Vibe - are both out, which gives me a fair bit of hope.

Their defending was comically bad against us in the 3-2 last year, so hopefully more of the same

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 16 Sep 2017 13:34

2 changes Edwards and Mccleary start

Mannone, Gunter, blackett, Mcshane, Moore,Van der Berg, Mccleary,Kelly, Aluko, Edwards . Bodvarsson
Last edited by Royals and Racers on 16 Sep 2017 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Sep 2017 13:37

Reading XI : Mannone, Gunter, McShane, Moore, Blackett, Berg, Edwards, McCleary, Kelly, Bodvarsson, Aluko

Subs : Jaakkola, Ilori, Beerens, Evans, Obita, Bacuna, Clement

Let me guess, now Barrow is injured....? :?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Sep 2017 14:19

Decent line up, should be solid in midfield, but still creativity and goals. Just about finding the right combination in midfield and upfront from our many options.

Berg, for all his errors, seems to be one of the few players who will play a first time pass with pace to open up space and spark a move, rather than take a touch, look, touch then pass softly.

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 16 Sep 2017 14:25

I'm in Malaysia ATM I'm a bit out of touch about what's available to watch abroad, can I watch the game today via this ifollow thing or is there more streams available these days???

(Sorry for double post)

101 posts