Squad Mentality

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
royalsroyalsroyals92

Squad Mentality

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 18 Sep 2017 18:18

Before the beginning of last season I think it was fairly clear that the squad had a losing mentality. Although on paper we seemed to have a pretty good squad, we couldn't win and were pretty poor - the mentality of the players didn't look good.

Last year though, we'd cleared out the loans and some of the players who'd been with us during the poorer years and signed some good foreign and up and coming talent, and the squad seemed refreshed and we had a great year, grinding out awesome wins.

And now this season... even though I really rate a lot of the players we've signed (they look pretty good on paper), the majority of them seem to have had some pretty poor seasons in recent years.

JDB and Edwards - Wolves hardly pulled up trees last year, and it went pretty close to the wire with them for survival, lost their manager and then they headed off before they've started having a successful season.

Bacuna - Villa - say no more

Mannone - Sunderland - See Above

Barrow - Swansea have hardly had a great few years and he was also involved in the latter half of a Leeds season where they capitulated pretty hilariously.

It's a fair chunk of the squad, and I just hope those players have got the belief to help turn issues around, even though their previous clubs have struggled. I largely though hope it hasn't impacted the squad as a whole!!!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Squad Mentality

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Sep 2017 18:49

We were good at taking and holding onto a lead last season, but weren't we still pretty terrible at recovering points after going behind still? Not that the system really plays strongly in that area.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Sep 2017 11:55

Takes 11 players to make team. Stam's job is to perm a team from those available. Some signings won't work out. Time to review is in another 12-15 games time.

JamieY26

by JamieY26 » 19 Sep 2017 12:53

... I don't think you can compare players who have been playing in the league above. By default they have had better seasons than any recent Reading team just by being there and it would be completely unrealistic to expect us to be signing players who have been having excellent seasons for their clubs if in the Champ or Prem.

As for players who have performed well in lower divisions, why would we do that when we have a number of young players who have the potential to fill that role in the near future?

I am a big advocate for taking talented players out of clubs where the system doesn't suit them, giving them a run in one that does and seeing what happens.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1