Jaap's Radio Comments

186 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Jaap's Radio Comments

by CountryRoyal » 23 Sep 2017 20:06

Hound To be honest, a couple of wins and it will all be forgotten, as it was last year

It was hardly all out mutiny in the stadium. TBH, surprised he even mentioned it

That's my point. Under most circumstances this wouldn't even be an issue after a playoff final last year. But fact is that there was already significant discontent in already realitively unloyal fan base. It's not going to take a lot to get people offside.

Question is. Do you see us winning 3 games anytime soon?

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 23 Sep 2017 20:09

Snowflake Royal
As for the decision to replace Kelly with Ilori, it was fuking idiotic.

The boos ringing out ably demonstrated that you weren't alone in this spectacular lack of comprehension. Unfortunately the MadStad is choc full of fcuking idiots like you.

Kelly (who despite being hailed as some sort of messiah was having a pretty ineffectual game) was replaced in his role by JVDB. Joey was moved forward and was replaced by Ilori.

Oh, and by the way, it worked.

And as for Jaap's comments, get a grip RFC fans - you got a bit of criticism. Get over it.

finchroyal

by finchroyal » 23 Sep 2017 20:11

"You cannot only jeer when things are not going well and for the rest of the day not let anyone hear from you.

if we are honest mans spot on, surrounded by leeds fans last season in the home end oxf*rd embarrasing hearing them.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Sep 2017 20:12

Hound Top Flight, you are of course correct in many ways. The tactical changes worked and we were far better for the subs made. Despite the strong reaction on here, I think most fans would agree that Stam's tactics in generally are pretty bloody good.

Something was def wrong today though, and sounds like it has been quite a bit recently. I think inevitably with such a decent sized squad maybe the team spirit isn't quite the same this year. Maybe just Stam is struggling a bit with second season syndrome.

Whatever it is, unless we buck up quickly the season is threatening to become a write off

I can see the problem and so can majority.
WE HAVNT GOT A STRIKER!!!!!!!!!!
Why can't he see that. Why did we spend 7.5 million on a player who is stuck out wide and doesn't seem to be playing any better than the player who was already in that position. The problem was obvious from day 1 last season. We are gonna be currently soon relying on a 36 year old, now injury prone player for goals. Not one of this team has a predatory instinct to score and we have no front men who burst through to score .
So if 90% of Royals fans can see the problem, yet are pecieved as know nothing wanna be managers by some in here, why can't we have a moan. Paying to watch us create sweet FA game after game is becoming too much of a habit especially away from home?

madstadblues

by madstadblues » 23 Sep 2017 20:14

To be honest, I would rather have Jaap Stam as manager and all the Reading fans "FOff". We were poor today without Bacuna and Barrow but the previous games when they have been playing (and even Swansea) were very good. The problem is apart from 3/4000 core fanbase, we have a fickle 'entertain me. I want it now 'Amazon Prime'' fan base. As a superb of London we have never had a huge hard core following. For a town / club of our size (where our regular opponents have been Port Vale, Luton, Portsmouth, Notts County, York City etc.) we have had great success but that hasn't reflected in improving the passion of our fans.

As a demographic regarding a potential sleeping giant we tick all the boxes, as a footballing town we may as well be watching an ice hockey game, speedway event! (ST Holder 25 years...)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Sep 2017 20:16

Top Flight I agree with Stam. Listening to our fans on the radio, it was embarrassing. It seems there are a lot of people who watch Reading but understand F all about football.

Dellor and Williams don't help with all their sh&t stirring.

At least come and watch the game before passing comment. Football isn't that complex to understand. When it's plainly obvious something isn't right. So so similar to the Brendan Rodgers era. This is an ok group of players that are struggling with the system they are being told to play. That issue is the managers alone to resolve.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Sep 2017 20:18

Lower West
Top Flight I agree with Stam. Listening to our fans on the radio, it was embarrassing. It seems there are a lot of people who watch Reading but understand F all about football.

At least come and watch the game before passing comment. Football isn't that complex to understand. When it's plainly obvious something isn't right. So so similar to the Brendan Rodgers era. This is an ok group of players that are struggling with the system they are being told to play. That issue is the managers alone to resolve.

+1

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Sep 2017 20:21

Ascotexgunner I can see the problem and so can majority.

74% possession. 13 shots. 3 on target.

Says it all.

One player isn't going to transform this team.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Sep 2017 20:23

Lower West

Says it all.

You sure? Guarantee that if he had the Yann of last half of season we wouldn't be in this predicament. It's not about the goals, its about so much more to do with attacking play. We a lack a focus and target and therefore a degree of decisiveness and execution. We're not far away from being a very good side, but as it stands, we're oxf*rd oxf*rd.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2017 20:25

The Reverend
Snowflake Royal

The boos ringing out ably demonstrated that you weren't alone in this spectacular lack of comprehension. Unfortunately the MadStad is choc full of fcuking idiots like you.

Kelly (who despite being hailed as some sort of messiah was having a pretty ineffectual game) was replaced in his role by JVDB. Joey was moved forward and was replaced by Ilori.

And as for Jaap's comments, get a grip RFC fans - you got a bit of criticism. Get over it.

I'm well aware of what Jaap did with the substitution, thank you. What worked, was bringing on Bodvarsson for Gunter, not Ilori for Kelly. Berg performed no better in midfield than Kelly did. He under hit several passes to lose the ball, and took two of the worst, most wasteful and stupidiest shots I've ever seen.

Normally, I'm on board with criticising booing from our fans, because it's usually moronic. But there are a few things that are relevant here that Stam doesn't seem to have considered.

1) You don't join Reading FC and expect a loud and partisan crowd.
2) You don't implement a slow, patient and tactical chess-like system and expect it to inspire the crowd to be loud and excited by it
3) You don't drop 7 out of 12 home points and expect the crowd to be loud and supportive
4) You don't start the season badly having finished third the previous season and improved your squad and expect the fans to be loud and supportive when losing at home
5) You don't fail to improve the biggest glaring weakness in your squad and instead spend over £7m on a winger famed for not having an end product and expect the fans to be loud and supportive when losing at home

Yes, the fans can lift the players, but it's a two way street. The players also need to lift the fans. And during Stam's entire tenure we've looked seriously unconvincing when trying to come from behind.

The fact is, the crowd start supportive and singing every game. It's only the lack of anything remotely inspiring on the pitch that sees things go dead. The crowd also got behind the team when Bod came on and we actually showed some threat. The fact is also, the crowd will still be there when Stam is long gone. They are the people he is working to produce something for and entertain. He needs to remember that. Because the second he loses a significant proportion of them, he's a dead man walking and there's basically no way back. His comments don't help. There is a place for some criticism of the crowd, but that was not the right reaction.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Sep 2017 20:28

Snowflake Royal
The Reverend
Snowflake Royal

I'm well aware of what Jaap did with the substitution, thank you. What worked, was bringing on Bodvarsson for Gunter, not Ilori for Kelly. Berg performed no better in midfield than Kelly did. He under hit several passes to lose the ball, and took two of the worst, most wasteful and stupidiest shots I've ever seen.

Normally, I'm on board with criticising booing from our fans, because it's usually moronic. But there are a few things that are relevant here that Stam doesn't seem to have considered.

2) You don't implement a slow, patient and tactical chess-like system and expect it to inspire the crowd to be loud and excited by it
3) You don't drop 7 out of 12 home points and expect the crowd to be loud and supportive
4) You don't start the season badly having finished third the previous season and improved your squad and expect the fans to be loud and supportive when losing at home
5) You don't fail to improve the biggest glaring weakness in your squad and instead spend over £7m on a winger famed for not having an end product and expect the fans to be loud and supportive when losing at home

The fact is, the crowd start supportive and singing every game. It's only the lack of anything remotely inspiring on the pitch that sees things go dead. The crowd also got behind the team when Bod came on and we actually showed some threat. The fact is also, the crowd will still be there when Stam is long gone. They are the people he is working to produce something for and entertain. He needs to remember that. Because the second he loses a significant proportion of them, he's a dead man walking and there's basically no way back. His comments don't help. There is a place for some criticism of the crowd, but that was not the right reaction.

There's not a lot I can fault with that post. Pretty much, sadly, on point.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 23 Sep 2017 20:30

Stam will be history by Christmas. When the manager starts to slag off the fans following a performance like that, it's the beginning of the end for him.

I am in the DB next Saturday and will be giving full vent to my feelings if tripe like that is served up again. No doubt I will be "asked to leave" but sod it. The Emperor certainly has no clothes, and if takes a tw@t like me to point it out to him, then he has more psychiatric problems to overcome than I feared. Who the hell does he think he is - Steve bloody Clarke???

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 23 Sep 2017 20:32

I've just listened. Whilst he does have a point (the changes worked) - Jon Dadi had saved the day and he could have let the jeers go and move on to Millwall and Norwich, then there's two weeks break.

Saying we won't win the league and especially mentioning fans to stay away won't go down well with Gourlay & Co. and Millwall and Norwich have just become season defining for us.

As stupid as that sounds, the board have backed him more than any other RFC manager and his style has been rolled out right down to the U7's. If we are around the relegation zone after 10 games he'll be gone now :cry:

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 23 Sep 2017 20:35

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
The Reverend

There's not a lot I can fault with that post. Pretty much, sadly, on point.

Intelligent and spot on

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Sep 2017 20:36

royalp-we Saying we won't win the league and especially mentioning fans to stay away won't go down well with Gourlay & Co. and Millwall and Norwich have just become season defining for us.

Disagree. Last season he said repeatedly that any improvement was the goal, a top half finish would be good, and a top 10 finish would be very good. Said multiple times we are not going to make playoffs and you might as well forget it. We all know how that turned out.

It feels slightly different, as his comments now seem more honest and passionate, and less tactical and persevering, but fact of the matter is as history has shown, it wouldn't be the first time he's very publicly dismissed our chances at success.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Sep 2017 20:36

Top Flight Some of the idiots who phoned Radio Berkshire and claimed that we have no plan B... What utter nonsense.

He changed the formation to 3-4-3 and brought on a big target man. How is that not a plan B????

Stam's changes worked and the result was saved. The goal was scored and we didn't lose. In the end Stam made a change and it paid off. Our fans are seriously embarrassing. Taking Kelly off, seemed strange at first and hence the booing. But it was a formation change that was in Stam's mind. We threw more men forward and it paid off against a very well organised, disciplined Hull side marshalled by a very experienced CB in Dawson and a very talented Chelsea CB in Hector.

Exactly this. As for someone else's claim that if he was a young English manager he would've been sacked by now - really??! After taking us from nowhere to PO Final last season. I think not!

Read on Twitter that we are no worse off at this point than we were after we lost the PO final under McDermott. That puts things into perspective.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 23 Sep 2017 20:37

Lower West

I was at the match. I listened to the radio comments in the car on the way home.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 23 Sep 2017 20:40

Lower West

Yeah, they struggled so much with the system that they marched on to the play off final last year.

This is nothing like the Rodgers era.

Huckleberry Hound

by Huckleberry Hound » 23 Sep 2017 20:43

Hound To be honest, a couple of wins and it will all be forgotten, as it was last year

It was hardly all out mutiny in the stadium. TBH, surprised he even mentioned it

If Dellor hadn't asked him if he thought the team were motivated by the booing, he probably wouldn't have.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 23 Sep 2017 20:43

Lower West

Says it all.

Genuinely think it could. We played 3 wingers today and the service into the box, both quality and quantity, was great. It's just there was no one on the end of them...ever..at all, which I guess isn't surprising as we weren't playing a fukcing striker!

186 posts