Jaap's Radio Comments

186 posts
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Jaap's Radio Comments

by windermereROYAL » 23 Sep 2017 20:45

royalp-we . If we are around the relegation zone after 10 games he'll be gone now :cry:

Not a chance.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 23 Sep 2017 20:46

Whilst I wasn't booing, I was pretty uninspired by the display and a bit annoyed at another seemingly lethargic and ineffective performance. Week after week we are creating nothing, yet he keeps coming out and saying we were 'unlucky' or the 'better team'??

Stam needs to focus his attention on working out what his best team is and how to get us back to winning games. Telling fans who turn up week in week out not to bother coming to games, because they might be groaning after seeing us play poorly seems a waste of energy - mostly like our play today funnily enough.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 23 Sep 2017 20:47

I agree with what Stam said tonight, if you need to boo wait until the end and do it. Does anyone here really believe we're going to win the league? There certainly were boo's in the first half.
As others have said we do need another striker and Stam knows that as he has previously said it, do people really think we didn't try and get another one?

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 23 Sep 2017 20:49

windermereROYAL
royalp-we . If we are around the relegation zone after 10 games he'll be gone now :cry:

Not a chance.

I agree, this team, squad and pretty much most of the setup is built for what Stam wanted.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 23 Sep 2017 20:54

CountryRoyal
royalp-we Saying we won't win the league and especially mentioning fans to stay away won't go down well with Gourlay & Co. and Millwall and Norwich have just become season defining for us.

Disagree. Last season he said repeatedly that any improvement was the goal, a top half finish would be good, and a top 10 finish would be very good. Said multiple times we are not going to make playoffs and you might as well forget it. We all know how that turned out.

It feels slightly different, as his comments now seem more honest and passionate, and less tactical and persevering, but fact of the matter is as history has shown, it wouldn't be the first time he's very publicly dismissed our chances at success.

I know it's not the first time CR. But after the level of investment and backing the club has shown him - as Gourlay has said - we are ambitious and some of the comments in recent weeks come across very tedious and are only said to cover his arse should we fail to compete in the top half this season.

Youre looking too far in to it (tactical / perservering etc) - Last season is history - it was his first season and was right to write off our chances. He's now been given the tools; and can't tell fans we are destined to fall short whilst the owners constantly tell us we are aiming high.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Sep 2017 20:57

royalp-we
CountryRoyal
royalp-we Saying we won't win the league and especially mentioning fans to stay away won't go down well with Gourlay & Co. and Millwall and Norwich have just become season defining for us.

Disagree. Last season he said repeatedly that any improvement was the goal, a top half finish would be good, and a top 10 finish would be very good. Said multiple times we are not going to make playoffs and you might as well forget it. We all know how that turned out.

It feels slightly different, as his comments now seem more honest and passionate, and less tactical and persevering, but fact of the matter is as history has shown, it wouldn't be the first time he's very publicly dismissed our chances at success.

I know it's not the first time CR. But after the level of investment and backing the club has shown him - as Gourlay has said - we are ambitious and some of the comments in recent weeks come across very tedious and are only said to cover his arse should we fail to compete in the top half this season.

Youre looking too far in to it (tactical / perservering etc) - Last season is history - it was his first season and was right to write off our chances. He's now been given the tools; and can't tell fans we are destined to fall short whilst the owners constantly tell us we are aiming high.

Fair enough, that's a good point.

I suppose like it or not, expectation HAS increased, it can't not have... especially when we have broken our transfer record etc.

Is it season defining? IMHO no. Could it be? Maybe. Let's see how it goes but this is certainly not the direction we all want to be going. Worrying times indeed.

starbug

by starbug » 23 Sep 2017 21:05

I think Reading fans are some of the most patient and forgiving fans going, if you cant accept a handful of fans not loving every decision then you don't belong as a manager. Last year we finished 3rd and then invest far and away the largest amount of money we ever have done then why is winning the league out of the question?

He effectively said he's used to a better class of fans which just goes to show how out of touch and out of his depth he is.

He's played with some of the best players in the sport where the tactics were simply to give them the ball and let them work some magic - that isn't going to happen in the Championship and its simply showing his inadequacies as a naive young manager. if he's frustrated with the team and his tactics then take it out on the players or take the responsibility himself and don't take it out of the fans. Stubbornness isn't a great quality when you're getting worse.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Sep 2017 21:31

^ agree Starbug

We are entitled to our opinion, Jaap is entitled to his.

Still far too early for the to be discussing the corporate hatchet

Jaap gets paid....we pay....that's what seems to be the issue here

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 23 Sep 2017 21:32

I like Stam and I like the style of play we're trying to play. We built up last season from slow and boring(ish) to really good.
My problem with today was the same as my biggest problem with the play last season - players seem more intent on holding their position, rather than move to a better one. How many times did we have a throw in and the player taking it had no one to give it to. There were too many occasions when we were in a potential attacking position and our players seemed to be marking their defenders, instead of trying to move into a good position, or to try and stretch the defence out of position. These people are all good footballers, if they weren't they'd be working for minimum wage in some god-forsaken place. That being the case, they must have been told by the manager to do what they did. Stam has to stop this rigid way of playing and allow the players a bit of freedom to do what they are good at

Hull were not a good side, but we made them look quite good. The goal we conceded was due to the defence being undisciplined. This happened a lot. A good team would have slaughtered us. We looked better when Obita came on (I hope his injury isn't as bad as it looked) and Bodvarsson added something to the attack - he held the ball up pretty well and his goal was a well taken effort.

I come to watch Reading primarily to see us win, but if we lose, I want us to look like we're trying to win. I've got to hope that we will get it right at some point in the season. If not, then it's going to be long and tedious!!

robig106

by robig106 » 23 Sep 2017 21:54

The booing today was unnecessary as Stam has made it clear his philosophy and style of play, but fans still get on the team's back when they pass it to the goalkeeper or sideways when the players are coached to play this way.
The performances have been fine this season and probably better than most games last season but haven't got the results.
I agree with Stam's comments and feel the management and squad deserve more respect and support from the fans especially after Stam has proven last season what a strong manager he is tactically and strategically.
I wouldn't feel aggrieved if Stam walked out on us as the fans haven't bought into his ideas with low attendances and booing. We don't deserve to have a manager like Stam with the way he is being treated this season and the previous season.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Sep 2017 22:39

peterroyal76 Does anyone here really believe we're going to win the league?

After spending a whole season developing a style of play. I was optimistic that this season the team would move to a higher level of performance. No guarantee of winning but at least a more attractive/entertaining/thrilling style of football to watch. Yet, as an example, we've spent £8 million on a player who doesn't seem to fit into the style of the team. Did Stam choose the player or was he bought for him?

Why did we sign Popa and Lllori when they aren't even first choice starters.
Last edited by Lower West on 23 Sep 2017 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Sep 2017 22:41

AthleticoSpizz Jaap gets paid....we pay....that's what seems to be the issue here

Yeah, that's the crux of the issue for me.

I'm not a fan of booing, as it's a bit pantomime for me, but fans have a right to show their frustration when they're paying their money and booing is an effective way to do that collectively.

Putting part of the burden of the performance on the supporters is wholly unfair.

tilehurstender

by tilehurstender » 23 Sep 2017 23:20

Last season we won many games especially at home where we didn't play well but scraped 3 points. Which propelled us to an unlikely third place finishThis season we are not getting the lucky breaks and coming unstuck.
We are not a good team despite having a strong squad full of half decent players. Stams promise of attacking football when he got the job now looks light years away. We play this possession based style that frankly bores me to death. Players look scared to try anything remotely adventerous and more than often settle for easy options.
There are many decisions that leave the average fan like me confused. We continue to play an out of form and unfit Mcleary ahead of our only fit striker?, Popa looked one of our better players on Tuesday but can't make the bench today?Bacuna? Whats happened there?
Possession and pass completion stats mean nothing if you then lose 2 or 3 nil.
Now we have Stams comments towards the fans? Seriously? Sort it out and then get the fans onside. If you can't step down. Pardew will be back in charge by Christmas at this rate.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Sep 2017 01:38

tilehurstender Last season we won many games especially at home where we didn't play well but scraped 3 points. Which propelled us to an unlikely third place finishThis season we are not getting the lucky breaks and coming unstuck.
We are not a good team despite having a strong squad full of half decent players. Stams promise of attacking football when he got the job now looks light years away. We play this possession based style that frankly bores me to death. Players look scared to try anything remotely adventerous and more than often settle for easy options.
There are many decisions that leave the average fan like me confused. We continue to play an out of form and unfit Mcleary ahead of our only fit striker?, Popa looked one of our better players on Tuesday but can't make the bench today?Bacuna? Whats happened there?
Possession and pass completion stats mean nothing if you then lose 2 or 3 nil.
Now we have Stams comments towards the fans? Seriously? Sort it out and then get the fans onside. If you can't step down. Pardew will be back in charge by Christmas at this rate.

Hmmm - another manager who can be pretty outspoken and opinionated!

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 24 Sep 2017 06:37

I don't mind outspoken and opinionated managers but what's not acceptable is a manager calling-out a section of fans in self frustration and blatant refusal to accept any weakness of his own doing.

Seeing this side to Stam maybe sheds light on why Steven Reid just got up and left out of the blue.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 24 Sep 2017 08:33

Unfortunately I think Stam made a massive error today in calling out the fans. I guess he is still learning his trade in management but he clearly needs to understand that those who were booing tend generally to be the most avid supporters who feel the most.

I think most of the discontent was levelled at the lack of urgency in trying to push for an equaliser. Gunter was probably the biggest culprit with his tendency to zoom up the wing, stop and then pass it back 30 yards. Its totally ineffective but he plays the same way every game which is unfortunate as when he does go forward he can be quite effective.

I think Stam is a very good manager but as others have said he needs to learn to take the flak if he isn't performing as we hope he does something similar to the players

mambo3

by mambo3 » 24 Sep 2017 09:17

Control Freak. His way or no way. It's everyone's else's fault it's not mine. The makings of a top class defender. Not a top class Manager.

cavillerarusticana

by cavillerarusticana » 24 Sep 2017 09:38

Very unfortunate knee jerk reaction that has led to a spectacular own goal, just about the only kind we seem capable of scoring at the moment. Everyone is frustrated. I think JS will perhaps reflect on his comments and accept that it was not the smartest response from someone who is usually calm when talking about the game. I appreciate honesty, but we are playing Mogadon football in a half empty stadium, to then suggest to the fans that did turn up, that they should stay away if they don't like it and anyway we are not going to win anything this year, was not particularly bright.
We don't have to be playing superior sides, they have worked us out and read our game better than our own players, all they have to do is be patient and strike. We gift it to them, we don't seem to have the ability to think ahead, our awareness is shot, all we seem to know is how to pass sideways and backwards hoping we wear them down. It is not the opposition that is being worn down it's us.
I will never boo my team, but neither can I accept the dross that is being churned out week in and week out. Possession football is fine if you are doing it well and at some point there is an end product, but there isn't here. Of course i like to win, but I can take an honest defeat, however, I do like to feel somewhat entertained in the process.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 24 Sep 2017 09:46

mambo3 Control Freak. His way or no way. It's everyone's else's fault it's not mine. The makings of a top class defender. Not a top class Manager.

Your comment is embarrassing. I don't recall Stam blaming anyone. The point Stam was making was that it is counter productive booing the team when they are trying their best to win. It would have been better if we had got behind the team and roared them on to success. Instead some in the crowd just got on their backs in a negative way.

I don't know why our fans think we have the right to turn up against Hull and just easily win the game. Hull are an ex Premier League side packed with experienced quality players. They came to our place with a very defensive mindset. They played one quality striker on his own up front and dropped deep and defended well. They were very well organised and were marshalled by the vastly experienced ex Spurs centre back Dawson. He is a quality player, arguably the best centre half in the Championship. Alongside him they had highly rated Chelsea youngster Michael Hector who is also now very experienced having played in an FA Cup Semi Final with us, the Bundesliga with Frankfurt, the SPL and Championship for a few seasons. Hull know what they are doing and how to defend. They know how to get results.

We actually played some decent stuff when we were chasing the game. We are not far away from being a very decent side again. We absolutely blew away the Villa and Birmingham City a few weeks ago completely outclassing them. Stam will absolutely certainly get it right again. We just have to keep the faith.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 24 Sep 2017 09:55

Top Flight
mambo3 Control Freak. His way or no way. It's everyone's else's fault it's not mine. The makings of a top class defender. Not a top class Manager.

Your comment is embarrassing. I don't recall Stam blaming anyone. The point Stam was making was that it is counter productive booing the team when they are trying their best to win. It would have been better if we had got behind the team and roared them on to success. Instead some in the crowd just got on their backs in a negative way.

I don't know why our fans think we have the right to turn up against Hull and just easily win the game. Hull are an ex Premier League side packed with experienced quality players. They came to our place with a very defensive mindset. They played one quality striker on his own up front and dropped deep and defended well. They were very well organised and were marshalled by the vastly experienced ex Spurs centre back Dawson. He is a quality player, arguably the best centre half in the Championship. Alongside him they had highly rated Chelsea youngster Michael Hector who is also now very experienced having played in an FA Cup Semi Final with us, the Bundesliga with Frankfurt, the SPL and Championship for a few seasons. Hull know what they are doing and how to defend. They know how to get results.

We actually played some decent stuff when we were chasing the game. We are not far away from being a very decent side again. We absolutely blew away the Villa and Birmingham City a few weeks ago completely outclassing them. Stam will absolutely certainly get it right again. We just have to keep the faith.

1. The boos were primarily for the substitution, not the general performance. The point made by Dellor was that the booing actually seemed to kick the players into gear, suggesting that it can actually be useful.

2. In regards to Hull's defence, you are aware they shipped goals against Derby and have had only one cleansheet all season.

186 posts