Jaap's Radio Comments

186 posts
Esteban

Re: Jaap's Radio Comments

by Esteban » 24 Sep 2017 13:53

Booing only ever serves to piss off the players and the management, never seen the point in it. Everybody getting their knickers in twist over Stam calling them on it should calm down. You know the way he wants us to play, if you don't like it, don't go.

Storm in a tea cup. Move along.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Sep 2017 13:58

Esteban You know the way he wants us to play, if you don't like it, don't go.

The owners aren't going to be happy wih declining revenues as footfall decreases. The poor away attendance suggests that the issue isn't just related to Reading. Continental style football perhaps isn't going down too well. Very much like the Serie A games when televised on C4 some years back. First objective being not to concede.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 24 Sep 2017 14:04

Lower West

The owners aren't going to be happy wih declining revenues as footfall decreases. The poor away attendance suggests that the issue isn't just related to Reading. Continental style football perhaps isn't going down too well. Very much like the Serie A games when televised on C4 some years back. First objective being not to concede.

What percentage of ticket sales make up our revenue? I think you are imagining it to be a lot higher than it actually is......

If you don't like it, don't come. I won't sit next to a whinger. 8)

Za Vas

by Za Vas » 24 Sep 2017 14:10

I’m a big fan of Jaap and hope this is a turning point in the season… things could get a bit ugly if not as he’s definitely ruffled a few feathers.

Personally, I’m not all that fussed by what he’s said. It’s a bit of a surprise and could have been handled more diplomatically but I like his honesty in interviews, it makes a pleasant change from mundane and meaningless soundbites.

The one part I take issue with is questioning the expectations of the fans. He should sympathise that having been a couple of decent penalties away from the Premier League and since spent a lot of money we would expect to be in a better position, producing better performances, than we are currently. No one is demanding we win the league, but he can’t dine out on last season for too long – football has far too short a memory for that as Claudio Ranieri will testify.

We move on…

Esteban

by Esteban » 24 Sep 2017 14:14

Lower West

Of course they won't be. And attendances were pretty poor last season when Stam got us to the play-off final. That won't be what gets Stam the sack.

Point is, those who booed did so to illicit a reaction and then cried about it when they got one.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 24 Sep 2017 14:48

LWJ
Lower West

What percentage of ticket sales make up our revenue? I think you are imagining it to be a lot higher than it actually is......

Another one of those that thinks because the revenue stream is bigger than gate receipts, the fans are unimportant.

Good luck having any sort of revenue stream (and attracting players) for a team with a handful of fans

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Sep 2017 14:58

LWJ
Lower West

Footfall generates more revenue than just ticket sales. The last thing the club needs now is another period of instability.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 24 Sep 2017 15:05

John Madejski's Wallet Another one of those that thinks because the revenue stream is bigger than gate receipts, the fans are unimportant.

Good luck having any sort of revenue stream (and attracting players) for a team with a handful of fans

Nope but we traditionally have a small fan base. I don't think the owners purchase the club thinking we sell out week in week out..

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Sep 2017 15:47

Part of Ron Goulay's statement on the official website yesterday before the game.

But he can’t do it alone. “The fans are key to this football club and I want this club to interact with the fans of the future. We’ll be transparent and let our supporters know what is planned for the future, but in return we need them to make the Madejski come alive and come here in their numbers to create an atmosphere that the manager and the players can feed off.

“The performance of the club last season…Jaap did a fantastic job to get this club so close. And there has been landmark investment in the football side of things this summer – the owners have put their marker down in terms of what we’re trying to achieve. And we did very good business. Not only in the seven summer signings, but we also protected our young players in the squad we shaped - we had the signing of new contracts from some very key players as we made sure that the core of the team, the youth, the future, have all had their deals extended in the form of long-term contracts. I think we’ve got the balance right.

“And I think we’ve got a very, very strong squad now. We’ve got to get it right on the field now and, hopefully, myself and the owners have given the manager the toolbag to move forward and improve on the fantastic achievement of last season. And the owners and I want to give the fans the toolbag to help them make the difference on a matchday…they need to tell me and my colleagues at the club what they need from us to help our fanbase give the players the extra push in the back that they sometimes need.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Sep 2017 15:53

Esteban Booing only ever serves to piss off the players and the management, never seen the point in it. Everybody getting their knickers in twist over Stam calling them on it should calm down. You know the way he wants us to play, if you don't like it, don't go.

Storm in a tea cup. Move along.

There really wasn't a lot of booing anyway. A bit when fan favourite Kelly got subbed off which is not surprising, and a bit after a couple of Gunter running forward then passing back to McShane episodes. Otherwise just the usual half arsed grumbles that you get every game

Storm in a teacup sums it up perfectly

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 24 Sep 2017 16:11

robig106 We don't deserve to have a manager like Stam

Erm....

Felt91

by Felt91 » 24 Sep 2017 16:35

Finally a Reading manager speaks the truth rather then feeding us some bull. He always says we need to improve after a bad performance, he said in the interview we do it in training getting it forward but when it comes to the games the players don't always do it. Maybe scared to get booed if the pass gets intercepted so stick with a safe option instead. Yes I want the ball to be moved quicker (Moore and vdb big culprits) players not hiding, more shots taken. Maybe the players needed stam to come out and have a word about the fans to re assure a few players or even rile them up. Football isn't brilliant at the moment but let's hope in the next few games/months the penny drops and we look a decent team again. Storm in a tea cup is correct.

Emmer Green Royal

by Emmer Green Royal » 24 Sep 2017 17:09

[quote="Esteban"]Booing only ever serves to piss off the players and the management, never seen the point in it.[/quote]

Before the booing Gunther showed no interest in getting forward. After the booing (and after Gunther remonstrating with the crowd) he was far more positive in getting forward, leading to the goal.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Sep 2017 17:17

Emmer Green Royal
Esteban Booing only ever serves to piss off the players and the management, never seen the point in it.

Before the booing Gunther showed no interest in getting forward. After the booing (and after Gunther remonstrating with the crowd) he was far more positive in getting forward, leading to the goal.

Who`s Gunther?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Sep 2017 17:23

Emmer Green Royal
Esteban Booing only ever serves to piss off the players and the management, never seen the point in it.

You mean after the tweak in personel and tactics that allowed him more freedom to do that?

cavillerarusticana

by cavillerarusticana » 24 Sep 2017 17:49

Views, opinions, perspectives we all have them in varying degrees, personal, blinkered, irrational, rational, they come in various guises, we think we are right and everybody spends a lot of time and energy telling us we are wrong. it's the cycle of life particularly in football.

There is an analogy about opinions that many maybe familiar with, usually to do with a part of the anatomy and size etc but lets keep it clean. Some fans have expressed a view that has clearly stung the manager into an unguarded response, that in turn has fanned ( no pun intended) the flames. Where I think the line is crosssed is when you get some people telling others how they should be supporting the team and trying to make them feel less of a supporter if they don't do it their way. People pay their money, this is not a society where anything from your haircut to your clothes your politics or religion is dictated to by others, the freedom to express your opinion popular or not as long as it is within the law has no rascist, cultural or criminal intent is still the mainstay of our daily lives. Hopefully everyone including Jaap Stam will learn from this contretemps and get on with the job in hand.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 24 Sep 2017 18:45

Emmer Green Royal

Don't remember Gunter being on the pitch when we scored ...

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 24 Sep 2017 19:17

windermereROYAL
Emmer Green Royal

Who`s Gunther?

The barista in the coffee bar in Friends, I think?

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 24 Sep 2017 19:37

windermereROYAL
Emmer Green Royal

Who`s Gunther?

Our new German fullback!........Obviously!

robig106

Re: 2Re: Jaap's Radio Comments

by robig106 » 24 Sep 2017 19:57

royalp-we
robig106 The booing today was unnecessary as Stam has made it clear his philosophy and style of play, but fans still get on the team's back when they pass it to the goalkeeper or sideways when the players are coached to play this way.
The performances have been fine this season and probably better than most games last season but haven't got the results.
I agree with Stam's comments and feel the management and squad deserve more respect and support from the fans especially after Stam has proven last season what a strong manager he is tactically and strategically.
I wouldn't feel aggrieved if Stam walked out on us as the fans haven't bought into his ideas with low attendances and booing. We don't deserve to have a manager like Stam with the way he is being treated this season and the previous season.

Really? I wouldn't say they have improved, yet; and that's where the frustration lies.

I have faith in Stam. But I do find myself walking away from games thinking "when are things going to 'click' for us?" :lol:

The passing and interplay is better and performances seem more convincing and accomplished, but not as lucky and not scraping wins like last season.

186 posts