Jaap's Radio Comments

186 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Jaap's Radio Comments

by CountryRoyal » 25 Sep 2017 08:37

bobby1413
Snowflake Royal 1) You don't join Reading FC and expect a loud and partisan crowd.

Serious question...

I know when players are moving they speak to one another and say "I've had an offer from XYZ... any thoughts?". Do you think players at any point will say "Reading have offered a contract, any thoughts" and a player says "Good infrastructure but absolutely shocking fan base. I'd go with the other club if I were you"

Just wondering

I'd say 100% yes they probably do.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Sep 2017 08:46

CountryRoyal
bobby1413
Snowflake Royal 1) You don't join Reading FC and expect a loud and partisan crowd.

Serious question...

I know when players are moving they speak to one another and say "I've had an offer from XYZ... any thoughts?". Do you think players at any point will say "Reading have offered a contract, any thoughts" and a player says "Good infrastructure but absolutely shocking fan base. I'd go with the other club if I were you"

Just wondering

How can you be 100% probably?

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 25 Sep 2017 08:52

Can pretty much guarantee those booing on Saturday won't be in the away end at Millwall tomorrow night as those will be the ones backing the team. Then if we get a negative results BBC Berks will get a call:

Dellor 'So, were you at the game?'
Caller 'No, but I listened to the last half hour after watching Eastenders, it sounded awful, Stam out'

Every week without fail, they get that caller.

I've taken a few days to think about the weekend, I won't boo, I was frustrated by the lack of tempo but I just think back to Bristol City away. We went 2-0 down, but just kept plugging away, playing our way, and got the result. After the last season fans have no choice but to have faith in the manager given the sh*t we have had to watch prior to his appointment. That said, his comments on the radio were not ideal - fans have the right to air their frustration as they pay - however, what he should have just said is that will not help the team and we need everyone together when we're going through a difficult spell. NOT - don't turn up if you're going to boo.

No doubt in my mind, we get Barrow back, we start a centre forward, and we have Aluko in his position. This team can produce.

Final point - McCleary looks seriously off the pace, all this stick going Gunters way - but McCleary was at fault for Brentford goal last week, and I didn't see him take on a player once on Saturday. Seriously ineffective.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Sep 2017 08:52

leon
CountryRoyal
bobby1413
Serious question...

Just wondering

100% of the time, they probably say that.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 25 Sep 2017 08:53

I have to say firstly I think there is a massive overreaction to these comments. In my opinion Stam is the best manager we have had for a very long time and it would be a shame to loose him because of this.

I think Saturday was the worst we've played all season maybe with the exception of QPR, yet we still got a point against a Hull side just relegated from the premier league. The fans booing the sub of Kelly for Llori are just infuriating too listen too and are the same people who would rather see the ball smashed up front to the wingers. Football has changed, Jaap is trying to build a team who will have a chance in the premiership playing a different brand of football and so far, it has worked. The sub of Kelly for llori that was booed, worked so I don't see what the problem is with this sub. Kelly is a great little player but Brentford and Hull he was largely ineffective and it was rumoured he had a knock as well so perhaps this could be another reason behind the sub. As well as fans then jeering Chris Gunter off the pitch a player who has constantly put his body on the line for the club rejected a pay rise from other championship clubs to stay and one of the most loyal players on the pitch. If you are giving someone like that abuse every week like most of these clueless Reading fans do I'd rather you stay away as well.

As for people saying why did we spend £7million on Aluko, it appears you have selective hearing with Stam's interviews as you are all so happy to pick up on these comments but not the ones where he said we didn't spend anything like £7million on him.

So I for one agree with Stam, if you are going to boo discourage the team, and don't enjoy the brand of football f*ck off before you spoil the best manager and some of the best football we've played in years for the rest of us

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Sep 2017 08:54

Not everyone is able to get to an away game on a Tuesday night.

Some people work. Some people have kids to look after. But I guess that demonstrates how fickle they are. Right?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Sep 2017 08:56

genome
leon
CountryRoyal

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Sep 2017 09:00

bobby1413

Serious question...

Just wondering

I doubt player movements often come down to that, it's hardly a big deal compared to money or chance of success.

I do expect the players, and certainly the manager, to be aware of the reputation of the fanbase.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 25 Sep 2017 09:15

Theroyalbox So I for one agree with Stam, if you are going to boo discourage the team, and don't enjoy the brand of football f*ck off before you spoil the best manager and some of the best football we've played in years for the rest of us

This.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 25 Sep 2017 09:24

Stranded So this is the moment, in my view there has been a group of Reading fans who have never taken to Stan, poss. because McD lost his job for him.

Eh? I don't know anyone who thinks like this or who has this view. I don't hear anyone even mentioning McDermott so don't think this is correct.

Just also to say that I agree with others that Stam is a fantastic manager for us and think everyone needs to just ground themselves as it's 1-2 bad games and that's all.

I can imagine winning a game - maybe against Norwich - having a good atmosphere and Stam will probably thank the fans for backing the team, and everything will be rosie again.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 25 Sep 2017 09:38

Theroyalbox I have to say firstly I think there is a massive overreaction to these comments. In my opinion Stam is the best manager we have had for a very long time and it would be a shame to loose him because of this.

I think Saturday was the worst we've played all season maybe with the exception of QPR, yet we still got a point against a Hull side just relegated from the premier league. The fans booing the sub of Kelly for Llori are just infuriating too listen too and are the same people who would rather see the ball smashed up front to the wingers. Football has changed, Jaap is trying to build a team who will have a chance in the premiership playing a different brand of football and so far, it has worked. The sub of Kelly for llori that was booed, worked so I don't see what the problem is with this sub. Kelly is a great little player but Brentford and Hull he was largely ineffective and it was rumoured he had a knock as well so perhaps this could be another reason behind the sub. As well as fans then jeering Chris Gunter off the pitch a player who has constantly put his body on the line for the club rejected a pay rise from other championship clubs to stay and one of the most loyal players on the pitch. If you are giving someone like that abuse every week like most of these clueless Reading fans do I'd rather you stay away as well.

As for people saying why did we spend £7million on Aluko, it appears you have selective hearing with Stam's interviews as you are all so happy to pick up on these comments but not the ones where he said we didn't spend anything like £7million on him.

So I for one agree with Stam, if you are going to boo discourage the team, and don't enjoy the brand of football f*ck off before you spoil the best manager and some of the best football we've played in years for the rest of us

Hull may have just been relegated, but they are an average at best team, stripped of most of their assets. (They are playing Frazier Campbell!) This is the kind of game we should be winning!!

Sticking an attacking player on to go for it with 15 minutes to go is not a tactical masterstroke. It's common sense. Oh and had Kelly been in JVDBs place on the edge of the box for those miscued shots, he may well have scored.

I like the ideology of Stam's system, but he's had nearly 18 months and ~£20m invested in players... we should be getting stronger and more effective in these games and scenarios. I should not be getting Brendan Rodgers deja vu,

boycey

by boycey » 25 Sep 2017 09:46

Jaap Stam had a dream , to build a football team
he had a decent transfer budget
but didnt do a very good job

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 25 Sep 2017 09:51

royal_rumble
Theroyalbox I have to say firstly I think there is a massive overreaction to these comments. In my opinion Stam is the best manager we have had for a very long time and it would be a shame to loose him because of this.

Hull may have just been relegated, but they are an average at best team, stripped of most of their assets. (They are playing Frazier Campbell!) This is the kind of game we should be winning!!

Sticking an attacking player on to go for it with 15 minutes to go is not a tactical masterstroke. It's common sense. Oh and had Kelly been in JVDBs place on the edge of the box for those miscued shots, he may well have scored.

I like the ideology of Stam's system, but he's had nearly 18 months and ~£20m invested in players... we should be getting stronger and more effective in these games and scenarios. I should not be getting Brendan Rodgers deja vu,

Fraizer Campbell would be our best striker if we had him so fail to see the point with that one. I don't disagree its a game we should've been winning but its hardly a disastrous result.

I didn't say Bods sub was a tactical masterstroke however I think llori for Kelly was as it totally changed the shape of the side and we created more chances, I personally would like to see us consistently play with 5 at the back think we're much better for it. The point about JVDB shots and Kelly maybe scoring is ridiculous, he may well have lost the ball and Hull countered and scored who knows?

Yes he's had nearly 18 months (already achieved a play off final) and Reading are often slow starters, if we win our next 5 in a row everyone will love JS again

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 25 Sep 2017 09:53

Some people might say that the substitutions rescued a point for us, and they probably did. But it was the starting lineup and tactics that put us in a position that needed rescuing.

As for fans booing, it has always been a feature at the Mad Stad, and how else are fans going to voice the displeasure at what they are seeing? However I can also understand Stam's frustration and he has a right to voice his opinion back, I just think he should have chosen his words better. He may have been better off not speaking about the booing when asked and just said that he was going to go home and reflect on it and make comment when the emotions of it had died down.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 25 Sep 2017 09:54

Didn't go on Saturday so I must be one of those fans that the earlier poster says doesn't support the team week-in, week-out .
My daughter doesn't get married very often and I would have been hard pushed to get to the game as the service finished at 1-30 and the father-of-the-bride speech was due to be at 4-00-presumably he and a few of the other RTGs and loyal Royals would have done even with the M3 closed.

I am with my old mate Hampshire Royal who earlier posted broadly on the lines that last season was about our players getting used to Stam's way of playing and this season we would be pushing on and playing the passing game in the opposition's half.
We haven't pushed on and fans want to see goals- 7 league goals is a pathetic return at this stage .

I think Stam has been in football long enough to know that fans sometimes boo and we know that fans in Italy don't hold back although they tend to whistle rather than boo.
I like the bloke whenever I hear him speak and presumably on Saturday he was just in a bad mood-it happens, although football is littered with sacked managers who chose to criticise the supporters.

Booing helped Shane Long so let us hope that the booing got through to the players on Saturday and that they are mentally strong enough to want to go out and show what they really can do and ....score some f*****g goals.

under the tin

by under the tin » 25 Sep 2017 09:55

Well, here’s my two penn’orth.
Jaap has played at some of the very biggest franchises in world football, where the volume generated in the stadia has more to do with the fans demonstrating their loyalty to the brand rather that what’s actually happening on the grass. Reading isn’t one of those sort of clubs, and perhaps he hasn’t twigged that.
However
In 2005/6, ahead of the match at home to Sheff U I can recall Neil Warnock’s pre match comments saying what an intimidating place the Madstad had become. The nowadays much maligned “Blarmy” rattling around the stadium. I do sometimes wonder about the near snobbery concerning scarcely singing the old classics like “Caaam on you Royals”, to name but one.
Many on here dismiss our support, but, truth is, few clubs’ fans sing non-stop all game. The volume levels at Elm park varied, depending on the opposition, but always went up a fair few notches when Gilkesy got on the ball. That, in my view, is where part of the atmosphere problem lies. Barrow and Bacuna have the “Gilkes effect”, but without players like them in the team, it is difficult for any sort of football fan to get enthused by watching players exchanging passes across the back.
For me, the other part of the problem is the disconnect that has opened up in the last few years between the people in the stands and those on the grass and in the dug out.
I think that the club generally is found wanting in terms of personality and identity. We don’t have talismans like Parky on the pitch, who more than made up for his lack of technical ability with sheer commitment to his job, and his club: our club. People like Brynjar. The team as a whole going out together for a curry in Caversham. Coppell and MaccyD always gave the impression that they’d be happy to have a beer and a chat in the pub with us. Jaap gives the impression that he’s just building a CV here.
There always was, and always will be a minority of people who rant at players. Nothing new here. Football clubs and fans have a symbiotic relationship. As fans we have all learnt that we can’t win every week. Defeat is sometimes inevitable, however commitment is mandatory, and some construe a lack of urgency as a lack of commitment.

starbug

by starbug » 25 Sep 2017 09:59

Can't recall the fans ever being so divided.

KatieY23 First time ever I just cant be bothered to go to games.
I don't mind losing, but even last season when we were winning, it was a chore going and I had no enthusiasm for it.

Theroyalbox f*ck off before you spoil the best manager and some of the best football we've played in years for the rest of us

Help is available https://www.specsavers.co.uk/

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 25 Sep 2017 10:11

under the tin Well, here’s my two penn’orth.
Jaap has played at some of the very biggest franchises in world football, where the volume generated in the stadia has more to do with the fans demonstrating their loyalty to the brand rather that what’s actually happening on the grass. Reading isn’t one of those sort of clubs, and perhaps he hasn’t twigged that.
However
In 2005/6, ahead of the match at home to Sheff U I can recall Neil Warnock’s pre match comments saying what an intimidating place the Madstad had become. The nowadays much maligned “Blarmy” rattling around the stadium. I do sometimes wonder about the near snobbery concerning scarcely singing the old classics like “Caaam on you Royals”, to name but one.
Many on here dismiss our support, but, truth is, few clubs’ fans sing non-stop all game. The volume levels at Elm park varied, depending on the opposition, but always went up a fair few notches when Gilkesy got on the ball. That, in my view, is where part of the atmosphere problem lies. Barrow and Bacuna have the “Gilkes effect”, but without players like them in the team, it is difficult for any sort of football fan to get enthused by watching players exchanging passes across the back.
For me, the other part of the problem is the disconnect that has opened up in the last few years between the people in the stands and those on the grass and in the dug out.
I think that the club generally is found wanting in terms of personality and identity. We don’t have talismans like Parky on the pitch, who more than made up for his lack of technical ability with sheer commitment to his job, and his club: our club. People like Brynjar. The team as a whole going out together for a curry in Caversham. Coppell and MaccyD always gave the impression that they’d be happy to have a beer and a chat in the pub with us. Jaap gives the impression that he’s just building a CV here.
There always was, and always will be a minority of people who rant at players. Nothing new here. Football clubs and fans have a symbiotic relationship. As fans we have all learnt that we can’t win every week. Defeat is sometimes inevitable, however commitment is mandatory, and some construe a lack of urgency as a lack of commitment.

you make a good point about the lack of connection between the fans and the players, even small things like all the players coming over to the east stand at the end of the games makes a difference

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 25 Sep 2017 10:20

windermereROYAL
Emmer Green Royal
Esteban Booing only ever serves to piss off the players and the management, never seen the point in it.

Before the booing Gunther showed no interest in getting forward. After the booing (and after Gunther remonstrating with the crowd) he was far more positive in getting forward, leading to the goal.

Who`s Gunther?

Manager of that Café in Friends...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Sep 2017 11:22

leon
genome
leon

I'm 100% convinced that they are more likely to say it then not.

It makes sense, if only in my head. :lol:

186 posts