Jaap's Radio Comments

186 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Jaap's Radio Comments

by Hound » 23 Sep 2017 18:52

Tbf if he had started Bod and he didn't play well, everyone on here would have been 'why did he play when he isn't a striker etc etc'

No issue with him not starting actually, but should have come on a lot sooner when it was obvious the front 3 were playing awfully

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 23 Sep 2017 18:53

He basically said 1. We have no chance of winning of the league this year 2. It is very bad when home fans turn in the team and 3. Fans who turn on the team shouldn't bother coming to the stadium.

Whilst I didn't (and won't boo), I did voice my surprise at the sub and can understand the frustration around the ground. Our football is p**s boring, ticcy taccy football with absolutely no purpose or drive.

Seriously Brentford, first half of Leeds and second half of Villa aside, the football served up at the MS in 2017 has been utterly tedious.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Sep 2017 18:58

You would have had to listen very hard to hear many boos at half time, certainly they weren't ringing round the stadium.
The main booing effort was certainly the seemingly odd switch of Kelly for Illori. Kelly looked our most inventive and busy player so,it did seem odd, but I guess the intent was to allow the fullbacks to push right up and effectively add one to our attacking numbers. I'd probably have taken Edwards rather than Kelly off and I'd have put Swift on for Beerens.
All in all it was another odd, rather than bad, performance.
We haven't found the right permutation and we still clearly is Yann. JVB did more in the10 mins he was on than our attack had done all game and he took his goal really well.
I have no idea what Jaap said but if he criticised our support then he has a point, but I'd advise him to sort out the playing side before trying to wake our fans up..

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Sep 2017 19:04

Agree with nearly all of that nameless

As you say, in many ways it wasn't an awful performance. Ball retention was good, it seemed when we could be @rsed we actually created some ok chances. We nullified nearly all their attacking play and looked at times like a team of good players

Just a bizarre lack of ambition and movement

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 23 Sep 2017 19:05

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 23 Sep 2017 19:06

Hound Would add to my earlier post I hope he is big enough to be angry at himself as well, as he messed it up badly today.

Yesterday I would have said he’s big enough to be disappointed with himself and his comments aired live on the radio, but after his post-match today… not a chance! He’s arrogant and a bad loser who looks for blame elsewhere so long as it’s not him at fault. Blaming his players decision making on the ball, saying he tells players what they should do, they train, they talk tactics but they (the players) don’t do it on match days says Stam in pretty much every post-match interview since QPR. And if I never hear him say “They (the opposition) made it difficult for us by stopping us playing the way we want to play… Well hello, really, you mean they didn’t suck you off Jaap.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 23 Sep 2017 19:10

He can't even take criticism from rival fans let alone Reading fans.
His feud with Leeds last season, for instance, was utterly cringeworthy.

Up his own arse and if he thinks a big club will come calling he's in for disappointment.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Sep 2017 19:16

P!ssed Off He can't even take criticism from rival fans let alone Reading fans.
His feud with Leeds last season, for instance, was utterly cringeworthy.

Up his own arse and if he thinks a big club will come calling he's in for disappointment.

If he performed like this at a bigger club he would be out of a job.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 23 Sep 2017 19:26

PieEater Can someone post a summary of what he actually said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05h1hg2

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 23 Sep 2017 19:26

AscotexGunner wrote: If he performed like this at a bigger club he would be out of a job.

Great motivational interview ... Over to the owners to do their job.

P45

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 23 Sep 2017 19:27

Some of the idiots who phoned Radio Berkshire and claimed that we have no plan B... What utter nonsense.

He changed the formation to 3-4-3 and brought on a big target man. How is that not a plan B????

Stam's changes worked and the result was saved. The goal was scored and we didn't lose. In the end Stam made a change and it paid off. Our fans are seriously embarrassing. Taking Kelly off, seemed strange at first and hence the booing. But it was a formation change that was in Stam's mind. We threw more men forward and it paid off against a very well organised, disciplined Hull side marshalled by a very experienced CB in Dawson and a very talented Chelsea CB in Hector.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 23 Sep 2017 19:36

Where do i start our two Wing Backs are not Wing Backs, we play at home with no Centre Forward i accept he missed a sitter against Bristol City but at least he was there to miss it . J VDB terrible again Evans heart must have sunk when illori came on for Kelly , i thought G Mac was a right winger and Jaap i have supported Reading for 40 years i have never booed the team off whilst i accept we over achieved last season that does not give you the right to under achieve now , you have been given more money for players than Sir Steve Judas Pards B Mac put together . I will be there next Sat but i wont make the mistake of expecting too much maybe a decent cross ,a pass forward or dare i say it a shot on goal but not top spot that would be asking too much forever Royal .

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 23 Sep 2017 19:37

Top Flight Some of the idiots who phoned Radio Berkshire and claimed that we have no plan B... What utter nonsense.

He changed the formation to 3-4-3 and brought on a big target man. How is that not a plan B????

Stam's changes worked and the result was saved. The goal was scored and we didn't lose. In the end Stam made a change and it paid off. Our fans are seriously embarrassing. Taking Kelly off, seemed strange at first and hence the booing. But it was a formation change that was in Stam's mind. We threw more men forward and it paid off against a very well organised, disciplined Hull side marshalled by a very experienced CB in Dawson and a very talented Chelsea CB in Hector.

I agree about the tactical change just a shame he didn’t make it sooner considering the ZERO shoots on target before changes were made. But after all, said and done, nothing gives him the right to silence the football stands, the club’s fans, including its moaners. And nothing gives him the authority to tell fans to stay away.

Fezza

by Fezza » 23 Sep 2017 19:38

Arnie_Pie http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05h1hg2

:|

Completely agree with what he's said, our fans are notoriously quiet - we're only a month in and did really well with his tactics last year. There are teams who have spent more and have better squads, too many Football Manager fans out there thinking they know everything!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Sep 2017 19:47

Top Flight, you are of course correct in many ways. The tactical changes worked and we were far better for the subs made. Despite the strong reaction on here, I think most fans would agree that Stam's tactics in generally are pretty bloody good.

Something was def wrong today though, and sounds like it has been quite a bit recently. I think inevitably with such a decent sized squad maybe the team spirit isn't quite the same this year. Maybe just Stam is struggling a bit with second season syndrome.

Whatever it is, unless we buck up quickly the season is threatening to become a write off

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Sep 2017 19:52

Uh oh.

Don't know what was said but from literally reading the first few posts this is not a good sign. As soon as you develop a discord between fans and management you're on a slippery slope and 9/10 it ends one way.

Slightly surprised at people's surprise at Stam's "arrogance". He's never shirked away from his beliefs and even at the early stages of last season put up a barrier saying "I don't care what the fans want" (after booing because of the style). It's all rosy if you're winning but when you're not then it's a different proposition.

I will be happily quoted on this, unless he turns it around and we're in and around the playoffs, he will be gone by Christmas.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Sep 2017 19:59

Jagermesiter1871
PieEater Can someone post a summary of what he actually said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05h1hg2

Just listened.

On one hand, he's absolutely correct. Our fans our shit, our support is shit and there are few other clubs who would have supported a playoff team as badly as we did for most last season.

That being said, it's oxf*rd obvious. We are tinpot reading for a reason, I don't think highlighting it and exacerbating an already fragile situation is a good idea, it's poor PR and to a lesser degree poor management. No one will give a oxf*rd if we are winning games, but if you keep going the way you are, and keep getting poor results on the pitch, then you're as good as gone, and I don't care who you are. Football is a fickle business and it doesn't take a lot to make a situation beyond repair.

I hope for all parties involved this bollocks is sorted sooner than later.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Sep 2017 20:02

To be honest, a couple of wins and it will all be forgotten, as it was last year

It was hardly all out mutiny in the stadium. TBH, surprised he even mentioned it

finchroyal

by finchroyal » 23 Sep 2017 20:05

Oilroyal Jaap’s post-match interview on BBCRB disappointed, and kind of shocked me. Prior to this afternoon’s interview I honestly didn’t think Jaap was an arrogant man and I was behind him all the way but he’s shown publicly his utter contempt towards those who dare voice their option at a game of footaball... so now he can now oxf*rd off. I’ve never booed players or performances (well not since the Brantfoot OUT demo in Norfolk Rd) but he clearly has no idea what READING FC is all about. And clearly has no idea why there are so many empty seats at home games. As fans, we owe him nothing, and to allow him to use us to improve his experience and his stock value and at our expense and patience week in, week out? THINK ON STAM!

Of course he is arrogant played for scum goes with the shirt. attendance is generally shit unless we are up there doing well, to many reading/chelsea fans unsure of allegiance.
the sides shit

Fezza

by Fezza » 23 Sep 2017 20:05

Hound To be honest, a couple of wins and it will all be forgotten, as it was last year

It was hardly all out mutiny in the stadium. TBH, surprised he even mentioned it

People are talking about him and not the players, he's done his job and protected them from the media barrage they may well deserve.

186 posts