In or Out?

504 posts

Stam - In or Out?

In
99
42%
Out
106
45%
Shake it all about
16
7%
Ian Royal
17
7%
 
Total votes: 238
User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3008
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: In or Out?

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Oct 2017 17:12

Sanguine wrote:I've not followed this thread, but I'd just like to say that anyone seriously questioning Stam's position, just 11 league games after a playoff final (in a season when mid-table safety would have been a success) is absolutely fcuking nuts.

Mid-table safety has to be a failure given our spending and position last season. A tolerable one, admittedly. Either way you're right that it's bonkers to be talking about a departure so soon.

User avatar
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1527
Joined: 07 Jan 2012 17:23
Location: Ascot

Re: In or Out?

by Ascotexgunner » 16 Oct 2017 18:48

I wanted him gone but that Leeds result made me just want give him 2 more games. If he sets up and plays like that, and avoids the tippy happy, sideways passing then back to keeper b-llocks, then I'd give a bit longer to change it. But persist with that dutch rubbish style and goodbye.

User avatar
LWJ
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11775
Joined: 10 Aug 2007 09:59
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012

Re: In or Out?

by LWJ » 16 Oct 2017 20:13

Snowflake Royal wrote:
Sanguine wrote:I've not followed this thread, but I'd just like to say that anyone seriously questioning Stam's position, just 11 league games after a playoff final (in a season when mid-table safety would have been a success) is absolutely fcuking nuts.

Mid-table safety has to be a failure given our spending and position last season. A tolerable one, admittedly. Either way you're right that it's bonkers to be talking about a departure so soon.

Re-read his post he suggested that for last year, not this.

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3008
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: In or Out?

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Oct 2017 20:22

LWJ wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:
Sanguine wrote:I've not followed this thread, but I'd just like to say that anyone seriously questioning Stam's position, just 11 league games after a playoff final (in a season when mid-table safety would have been a success) is absolutely fcuking nuts.

Mid-table safety has to be a failure given our spending and position last season. A tolerable one, admittedly. Either way you're right that it's bonkers to be talking about a departure so soon.

Re-read his post he suggested that for last year, not this.

I think it could be read either way, but that'd make much more sense, so cool.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11617
Joined: 27 Feb 2013 15:36

Re: In or Out?

by Sanguine » 17 Oct 2017 08:38

LWJ wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:
Sanguine wrote:I've not followed this thread, but I'd just like to say that anyone seriously questioning Stam's position, just 11 league games after a playoff final (in a season when mid-table safety would have been a success) is absolutely fcuking nuts.

Mid-table safety has to be a failure given our spending and position last season. A tolerable one, admittedly. Either way you're right that it's bonkers to be talking about a departure so soon.

Re-read his post he suggested that for last year, not this.


Yep, that's what I was getting at. We unexpectedly made the playoffs last year, and on that basis Stam's position is now being talked about, just 11 game into this season. Mental. I'm beginning to hate football. If we only finish 12th this season, so what? The football is good. When did football, at Reading's level, become about the Premier League?


Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5551
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: In or Out?

by Hound » 17 Oct 2017 08:45

I kind of agree Sanguine. But to be fair I don't think that was really the feel of most of the fans in the stadium. People on the net just tend to be more extreme with their opinions

I certianly didn't want him sacked, but was starting to feel that would be the inevitable outcome if he didn't start to become more flexible and ditch the failing front 3 of Aluko, Beerens and McCleary. And signs are he has done that

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 18847
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: In or Out?

by genome » 17 Oct 2017 09:34

Sanguine wrote:The football is good.


Have you watched us at all this season?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11617
Joined: 27 Feb 2013 15:36

Re: In or Out?

by Sanguine » 17 Oct 2017 09:35

genome wrote:
Sanguine wrote:The football is good.


Have you watched us at all this season?


Yes. The football is infinitely better than most of what we watched under Adkins, Brian (second time around), and Clarke.

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 18847
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: In or Out?

by genome » 17 Oct 2017 09:43

Sanguine wrote:
genome wrote:
Sanguine wrote:The football is good.


Have you watched us at all this season?


Yes. The football is infinitely better than most of what we watched under Adkins, Brian (second time around), and Clarke.


Well, that's a low bar. Many, many fans think Stam's style is also awful.

I'm not in the Stam Out brigade by the way, but I have been getting frustrated with how poor the football has been, and have been imploring him to change it. Big improvement on Saturday, so let's hope that continues. But until then, the football has certainly not been "good".

If his side played an enterprising & exciting style last year and this year, I would wager there would be no talk of him leaving whatsoever.


Sanguine
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11617
Joined: 27 Feb 2013 15:36

Re: In or Out?

by Sanguine » 17 Oct 2017 09:46

genome wrote:Well, that's a low bar. Many, many fans think Stam's style is also awful.

I'm not in the Stam Out brigade by the way, but I have been getting frustrated with how poor the football has been, and have been imploring him to change it. Big improvement on Saturday, so let's hope that continues. But until then, the football has certainly not been "good".

If his side played an enterprising & exciting style last year and this year, I would wager there would be no talk of him leaving whatsoever.


Well I like it. Sure, we could do more in the final third, but then we've been missing the spearhead of our front-line all season. That's where I'd criticise Stam, we haven't signed a good enough forward. That said, I see potential in both Bodvarsson and Aluko. I don't get Roy Beerens at all. He must be tearing it up in training.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5551
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: In or Out?

by Hound » 17 Oct 2017 16:01

See Leicester have sacked Shakespeare

Prob a good job for Jaap it wasn’t Leicester’s owners in charge of Reading

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3008
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: In or Out?

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Oct 2017 19:05

Sanguine wrote:
LWJ wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:Mid-table safety has to be a failure given our spending and position last season. A tolerable one, admittedly. Either way you're right that it's bonkers to be talking about a departure so soon.

Re-read his post he suggested that for last year, not this.


Yep, that's what I was getting at. We unexpectedly made the playoffs last year, and on that basis Stam's position is now being talked about, just 11 game into this season. Mental. I'm beginning to hate football. If we only finish 12th this season, so what? The football is good. When did football, at Reading's level, become about the Premier League?

In case it wasn't clear enough, one humbly begs your forgiveness for misinterpreting you.

User avatar
bcubed
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3662
Joined: 30 Oct 2004 18:16
Location: Would do better with a stick of rhubarb

Re: In or Out?

by bcubed » 17 Oct 2017 21:44

Hound wrote:See Leicester have sacked Shakespeare

Prob a good job for Jaap it wasn’t Leicester’s owners in charge of Reading


True

And it wasn't looking good up to the Leeds result despite many here saying it would be unthinkable

No progress after last season, whether or not 3rd was better than expected, no apparent return on significant (for us) investment, poor entertainment value and falling crowds (actual turning up not official). I still think he's vulnerable


User avatar
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5449
Joined: 12 Aug 2011 13:44

Re: In or Out?

by CountryRoyal » 18 Oct 2017 03:52

bcubed wrote:
Hound wrote:See Leicester have sacked Shakespeare

Prob a good job for Jaap it wasn’t Leicester’s owners in charge of Reading


True

And it wasn't looking good up to the Leeds result despite many here saying it would be unthinkable

No progress after last season, whether or not 3rd was better than expected, no apparent return on significant (for us) investment, poor entertainment value and falling crowds (actual turning up not official). I still think he's vulnerable


The only way that will change is if we start picking up wins. I just feel that this result may give the team the boost it needs to spur them on and get them.

User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 17076
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: In or Out?

by leon » 21 Oct 2017 17:17

Lose next week and I think he might be gone.

Anyone who enjoys this football needs their head examined.

User avatar
Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1005
Joined: 22 Oct 2013 11:19

Re: In or Out?

by Oilroyal » 21 Oct 2017 17:28

Enough is enough it's time.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5551
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: In or Out?

by Hound » 21 Oct 2017 17:30

leon wrote:Lose next week and I think he might be gone.

Anyone who enjoys this football needs their head examined.


Won’t happen. We won last week in a tough game

We need our strikers fit and when that happens I reckon he’ll get 3 or 4 games to sort it out from there, which I think he will

Royal_jimmy
Member
Posts: 968
Joined: 10 Aug 2011 10:44
Location: Y26

Re: In or Out?

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Oct 2017 17:40

Whoever loses between us and Boro next week sacks their manager. If a draw then both get sacked.

Any less than 6 points from these next 2 and he's out

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5551
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: In or Out?

by Hound » 21 Oct 2017 17:47

Royal_jimmy wrote:Whoever loses between us and Boro next week sacks their manager. If a draw then both get sacked.

Any less than 6 points from these next 2 and he's out


So we beat Boro and draw with Forest and he’ll get the sack?

Do you actually believe that?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1282
Joined: 19 Feb 2008 12:18

Re: In or Out?

by windermereROYAL » 21 Oct 2017 17:49

Royal_jimmy wrote:
Any less than 6 points from these next 2 and he's out


If you really believe that you really are a plum.

504 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: super darren caskey and 53 guests

It is currently 23 Jun 2018 13:21