Ian Royal
7%

Total votes: 239
Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: In or Out?

by Oilroyal » 21 Oct 2017 17:52

Hound
leon Lose next week and I think he might be gone.

Anyone who enjoys this football needs their head examined.

Won’t happen. We won last week in a tough game

We need our strikers fit and when that happens I reckon he’ll get 3 or 4 games to sort it out from there, which I think he will

He's shot and now so are some of the players. God knows what he does to them in the week. And the Leeds win ... Fantastic result and thanks to a piss poor pen we chalked up 3 pts. Deserved given the players effort but could easily have been a single point.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2017 17:58

Oilroyal
Hound
leon Lose next week and I think he might be gone.

Anyone who enjoys this football needs their head examined.

We need our strikers fit and when that happens I reckon he’ll get 3 or 4 games to sort it out from there, which I think he will

He's shot and now so are some of the players. God knows what he does to them in the week. And the Leeds win ... Fantastic result and thanks to a piss poor pen we chalked up 3 pts. Deserved given the players effort but could easily have been a single point.

Yeah but it wasn’t a single point. It was3. If we’d got the pen we should have against Millwall we prob would have got a point. If McShane has got more on the goalmouth scramble in the last min against Hull we would have got 3 points.

I don’t think we look shot. If we’d crumbled to a 5-0 I’d have agreed

Looking at the fixtures I reckon end of November will be time to judge fully and if we are still 20th then I’d prob be on your side

In that time we have 4 home games plus an away game at Bolton (and a toughie away at Derby)

Granted we need to massively improve but if Swift, Dadi and or Yann are back I think we will

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 21 Oct 2017 18:12

Hound
Oilroyal
Hound

Yeah but it wasn’t a single point. It was3. If we’d got the pen we should have against Millwall we prob would have got a point. If McShane has got more on the goalmouth scramble in the last min against Hull we would have got 3 points.

I don’t think we look shot. If we’d crumbled to a 5-0 I’d have agreed

Looking at the fixtures I reckon end of November will be time to judge fully and if we are still 20th then I’d prob be on your side

In that time we have 4 home games plus an away game at Bolton (and a toughie away at Derby)

Granted we need to massively improve but if Swift, Dadi and or Yann are back I think we will

I hope you're right Hound because being 2pts off the bottom three is proving difficult to understand last seasons finish (enter the Steven Reid debate) I highlighted issues after the QPR game but was told to judge things after 10 games. And I'm judging things as still being shit.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2017 18:18

I get you OilRoyal and don’t get me wrong, I’m far from happy with our performances and Stam’s own performance this season

If we’d play at Leeds like we did vs Millwall or Norwich I’d be swaying to the out camp

But he did show he could change things about and learn from his mistakes with the right personnel

The minute I saw Dadi out I was pretty sure we’d lose. If that injury is minor and Yann is back then he really has no more excuses after next week - which is why I’d say give it til end of Nov. 4 or 5 very winnable games with strikers fit - really should be mid table going into Dec

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Oct 2017 18:22

Can’t help but feel very deflated after seeing us limp to a 2-1 defeat while Huddersfield go and beat Man Utd and record the biggest win in their history.

Two kicks of the football and it could’ve been so different... ugh

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2017 18:25

genome Can’t help but feel very deflated after seeing us limp to a 2-1 defeat while Huddersfield go and beat Man Utd and record the biggest win in their history.

Two kicks of the football and it could’ve been so different... ugh

As if we would have beaten United.. Huddersfield have proven they deserve to be up there with how they've been doing.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Oct 2017 18:34

I know, it’s more the principle of it

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Oct 2017 18:35

Just watching Millwall. playing 2 strikers, Morrison and Gregory, Morrison gets injured so they bring on another. :shock:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Oct 2017 22:44

Bet Stam is still in charge for Wolves.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Oct 2017 23:30

Hound I get you OilRoyal and don’t get me wrong, I’m far from happy with our performances and Stam’s own performance this season

If we’d play at Leeds like we did vs Millwall or Norwich I’d be swaying to the out camp

But he did show he could change things about and learn from his mistakes with the right personnel

The minute I saw Dadi out I was pretty sure we’d lose. If that injury is minor and Yann is back then he really has no more excuses after next week - which is why I’d say give it til end of Nov. 4 or 5 very winnable games with strikers fit - really should be mid table going into Dec

No. He's shown he really hasn't learned at all. The formation is wrong, playing a front 3 without a striker DOES NOT WORK.

We all know that, apart from Stam.

Plenty of teams face this sort of challenge. Put Smith on - give him some support, but ffs CHANGE THE WAY YOU'RE PLAYING IT DOESN'T WORK.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Oct 2017 07:23

Hound
Royal_jimmy Whoever loses between us and Boro next week sacks their manager. If a draw then both get sacked.

Any less than 6 points from these next 2 and he's out

So we beat Boro and draw with Forest and he’ll get the sack?

Do you actually believe that?

Yep.

Our home forms been pathetic this season and if it wasn't for a lucky own goal, we'd be winless at the Mad Stad.

We don't create enough chances and rarely score more than once at home in a game. The football's boring, slow and ineffective. 6 points is the minimum requirement for me.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Oct 2017 08:04

I think he's walking a very thin tightrope now. He needs win and one heavy defeat will be it.

At least if it happens then we can get Pardew back! We played some cracking football under him (forgetting the West Ham move).

Old Boy Blue

by Old Boy Blue » 22 Oct 2017 08:25

All the positives from Leeds have disappeared just a week later with Stam repeating the same mistakes he makes time after time. He just does not learn!
Poor team selection, poor tactics and poor substitutions. No need to change anything at the back after Leeds but the Tinker Man did just that. McCleary was not a miss, Barrow in as a straight swap. Then play Smith instead of the injured (again) Bod and you keep the shape of the team and have an enthusiastic youngster who knows how to score goals playing his heart out. What is the worst that could happen ? He plays poorly and has no impact ? Well he certainly wouldn't look out of place in this excuse for a team!
Stam should go now but if retained for the next 2 home games anything less than 4 points return must surely be the final nail in his coffin.

dave the magic moron

by dave the magic moron » 22 Oct 2017 09:03

Old Boy Blue All the positives from Leeds have disappeared just a week later with Stam repeating the same mistakes he makes time after time. He just does not learn!
Poor team selection, poor tactics and poor substitutions. No need to change anything at the back after Leeds but the Tinker Man did just that. McCleary was not a miss, Barrow in as a straight swap. Then play Smith instead of the injured (again) Bod and you keep the shape of the team and have an enthusiastic youngster who knows how to score goals playing his heart out. What is the worst that could happen ? He plays poorly and has no impact ? Well he certainly wouldn't look out of place in this excuse for a team!
Stam should go now but if retained for the next 2 home games anything less than 4 points return must surely be the final nail in his coffin.

This^
Couldn't have put it better myself the unnecessary switches back to the formation and tactics that have failed this season is baffling me, why change what doesn't need changing.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 22 Oct 2017 15:11

Old Boy Blue All the positives from Leeds have disappeared just a week later with Stam repeating the same mistakes he makes time after time. He just does not learn!

I personally think if we lose the next game he'll be sacked. Not saying it's right ... but can't see it not happening. We were after all aiming for promotion and at the moment we are looking more likely like relegation.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Oct 2017 15:26

Royalwaster

I personally think if we lose the next game he'll be sacked. Not saying it's right ... but can't see it not happening. We were after all aiming for promotion and at the moment we are looking more likely like relegation.

I firmly believe these 2 home games will have a big saying on Stams future here, with Derby away to follow anything less than 4 points will put him under serious pressure, I`m still up for giving him to Christmas, but some of his decision making is baffling. still think Koeman will be gone first.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 22 Oct 2017 16:56

His dutch mate Koeman looks like he won't survive. Just shows, you can have what looks like a great team on paper but put a dutch system in place, the opposition puts a high press in and your f#cked and ineffective. He will change nothing next week and it will be the same old sh+t.
De Boer and the dutch national team just show how unfashionable and easy to beat their system is.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 22 Oct 2017 17:11

Posted this in the Sheff Utd BFTG, it's got a place here too I think

WAZZOCK I think Stam is getting a bit of unfair criticism regarding the transfer activity over the summer, and it is in fact Gourlay and Tevreden who should be on the receiving end of it. No doubt it was identified we needed one or two further additions up top, but at the end of the day Jaap isn't the man who is tasked with picking up and phone and negotiating deals with clubs and players. These two failed Jaap in this regard, so I would be very disappointed if he was the man who got the chop as a result.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Oct 2017 18:07

Ascotexgunner His dutch mate Koeman looks like he won't survive. Just shows, you can have what looks like a great team on paper but put a dutch system in place, the opposition puts a high press in and your f#cked and ineffective. He will change nothing next week and it will be the same old sh+t.
De Boer and the dutch national team just show how unfashionable and easy to beat their system is.

So what’s changed regarding the Dutch system that was so successful for us (plus Koeman and Ajax for example) 6 months ago? Went out of fashion very quickly there...Did someone realise 40 odd years after Rinus Michaels invent it realise that all you need to do to counter is to press?

Is the ‘Spanish’ system the best again coz Pep is doing great for Man City, or should we playing the Argentina system as Spurs look great at the moment?

Said this a few times, it’s not the system or the fact it’s ‘Dutch’ it’s just we are not playing it well

biff

by biff » 22 Oct 2017 18:47

Hound
Ascotexgunner His dutch mate Koeman looks like he won't survive. Just shows, you can have what looks like a great team on paper but put a dutch system in place, the opposition puts a high press in and your f#cked and ineffective. He will change nothing next week and it will be the same old sh+t.

So what’s changed regarding the Dutch system that was so successful for us (plus Koeman and Ajax for example) 6 months ago? Went out of fashion very quickly there...Did someone realise 40 odd years after Rinus Michaels invent it realise that all you need to do to counter is to press?

Is the ‘Spanish’ system the best again coz Pep is doing great for Man City, or should we playing the Argentina system as Spurs look great at the moment?

Said this a few times, it’s not the system or the fact it’s ‘Dutch’ it’s just we are not playing it well

A big problem noted by a few podcasts recently (more knowledgeable than I), is that dutch footballs big issue is its "jobs for the boys" mentality.
https://audioboom.com/posts/6365801-the ... ading-nigh 14:40 for the brilliant Simon Kuper's explanation.

Theyve been through it in all facets of their national team, and we're going through it to an extent here; preference for underperforming dutch players over untested colleagues etc. Its not so much the system (which system are we playing exactly?) is out of date, its the whole dutch footballing mindset. And Stam cant help but be a part of that.

504 posts