In or Out?

403 posts

Stam - In or Out?

In
97
45%
Out
87
40%
Shake it all about
16
7%
Ian Royal
17
8%
 
Total votes: 217
User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 16239
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: In or Out?

by genome » 21 Nov 2017 23:14

I'm hesitant to commit because we've got two home games coming up again and he probably deserves a crack at those after the Forest and Derby results.

Less than 4 points, and I'm probably there. Really frustrating after those two excellent performances.

User avatar
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 8931
Joined: 19 Apr 2004 08:37
Location: Dance, dance, dance, in your Joy Division oven gloves

Re: In or Out?

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Nov 2017 12:20

The football fan in me says the team selections, performances and results have not been consistent enough and ultimately the buck stops with the manager. Unless there is drastic improvement, there is a danger of this going off the rails.

The project manager in me says this is a five year project, we are in year 2 and the progress in Year 1 has set expectations high. However, like many development projects, there are setbacks along the way and what is important is the ultimate objective in 5 years. We have given Stam the funding to build the team he feels he needs to reach that goal in the manner that he wants to. Consistency comes from being settled and not changing (Something Stam himself should maybe consider). To discard that at this stage could set us back long term.

At the moment, the project manager in me is winning out but we are approaching a crossroads where we may have to consider if the current direction is the right one.

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1362
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: In or Out?

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Nov 2017 18:45

From Despair To Where? wrote:The football fan in me says the team selections, performances and results have not been consistent enough and ultimately the buck stops with the manager. Unless there is drastic improvement, there is a danger of this going off the rails.

The project manager in me says this is a five year project, we are in year 2 and the progress in Year 1 has set expectations high. However, like many development projects, there are setbacks along the way and what is important is the ultimate objective in 5 years. We have given Stam the funding to build the team he feels he needs to reach that goal in the manner that he wants to. Consistency comes from being settled and not changing (Something Stam himself should maybe consider). To discard that at this stage could set us back long term.

At the moment, the project manager in me is winning out but we are approaching a crossroads where we may have to consider if the current direction is the right one.

Not a bad post. As long as we're reasonably clear of relegation this season I wouldn't pull the trigger. We know he can put together a good season.

Hound
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3034
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: In or Out?

by Hound » 25 Nov 2017 18:50

Yeah I’d be with that. Would give him the season as long as we aren’t in trouble of going down

But wasn’t impressed today at all. Was a backwards step - and yes, some of the issues I thought we’d resolved came back

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1362
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: In or Out?

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Nov 2017 18:55

I wouldn't be sorry to see him go. I hate the current trend of deciding to play a way that involves using your least technical players (CBs) as your creative outlet, and I especially hate the tendency to ask them to split and take up fullback positions in possession.

But it can work.


AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 19948
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 19:49
Location: A Hicks Hoof from Coley Park

Re: In or Out?

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Nov 2017 18:58

You cannot blame Beerans tho’ lol

Sir Steve took a while to get our “time to strike” right.

Agree that this is a several seasons project....as a club, we were on our knees before Jaap came in...last season set our bar too high....and Jaap himself, denounced those that expected the same or better this season.

We have nothing to gain (lots to regress to) by pulling the trigger this and next season imho.

Royal_jimmy
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: 10 Aug 2011 10:44
Location: Y26

Re: In or Out?

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Nov 2017 20:14

I think we will know if Stam will get the season or not in the next 2 weeks. If there's anytime to make a change then nows the time. It gives a new manager a month to review the squad before January.

Stams a decent manager but this style simply does not suit these players. Feels a bit like Rodgers all over again

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 19948
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 19:49
Location: A Hicks Hoof from Coley Park

Re: In or Out?

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Nov 2017 20:24

I haven’t quite got to the stage of reading my matchday programme mid game yet (Rodgers era) tbf...I’d like better, but, to bear with it....I believe, is the best option

User avatar
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1120
Joined: 07 Jan 2012 17:23
Location: Ascot

Re: In or Out?

by Ascotexgunner » 25 Nov 2017 20:36

OK after everything I've said I'm gonna do a complete uturn and say IN.......and here's why....
First of all he is a baby and new to management, so his learning curve is vertical.....I'm beginning to think he is showing more flexibility but let's wait until the transfer window opens, if he can find us a new ALF then we may just see a big turnaround in our fortune.


User avatar
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 2033
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 11:35
Location: Feeding the leccy meter at the County Ground

Re: In or Out?

by Lower West » 26 Nov 2017 00:46

Ascotexgunner wrote:OK after everything I've said I'm gonna do a complete uturn and say IN.......and here's why....
First of all he is a baby and new to management, so his learning curve is vertical.....I'm beginning to think he is showing more flexibility but let's wait until the transfer window opens, if he can find us a new ALF then we may just see a big turnaround in our fortune.


James Wilson on loan...........

User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 15647
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: In or Out?

by leon » 26 Nov 2017 02:22

I’m not really seeing any material improvement.

Today, against a (again) poor side we came up short.

Sorry lads, but unless we can create more chances and convert them whilst stopping the opposition scoring goals then, well you know

User avatar
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1120
Joined: 07 Jan 2012 17:23
Location: Ascot

Re: In or Out?

by Ascotexgunner » 26 Nov 2017 12:30

Lower West wrote:
Ascotexgunner wrote:OK after everything I've said I'm gonna do a complete uturn and say IN.......and here's why....
First of all he is a baby and new to management, so his learning curve is vertical.....I'm beginning to think he is showing more flexibility but let's wait until the transfer window opens, if he can find us a new ALF then we may just see a big turnaround in our fortune.


James Wilson on loan...........


The Man U one?......sounds good but he doesn't sound that prolific.
I was hoping more a Danny Hylton (if Luton would take a few quid) or Christian Doidge.
But I'm probably only saying that because the latter is Welsh.

User avatar
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 2033
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 11:35
Location: Feeding the leccy meter at the County Ground

Re: In or Out?

by Lower West » 26 Nov 2017 22:53

Ascotexgunner wrote:The Man U one?......sounds good but he doesn't sound that prolific.


Be a technically good footballer. A JS type of player.


Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 3703
Joined: 13 Apr 2004 23:24
Location: Relocation to Surrey completed

Re: In or Out?

by Woodcote Royal » 27 Nov 2017 15:34

From Despair To Where? wrote:The football fan in me says the team selections, performances and results have not been consistent enough and ultimately the buck stops with the manager. Unless there is drastic improvement, there is a danger of this going off the rails.

The project manager in me says this is a five year project, we are in year 2 and the progress in Year 1 has set expectations high. However, like many development projects, there are setbacks along the way and what is important is the ultimate objective in 5 years. We have given Stam the funding to build the team he feels he needs to reach that goal in the manner that he wants to. Consistency comes from being settled and not changing (Something Stam himself should maybe consider). To discard that at this stage could set us back long term.

At the moment, the project manager in me is winning out but we are approaching a crossroads where we may have to consider if the current direction is the right one.


The biggest issue I have here is the length of the project.

Assuming promotion is the project's ultimate objective, and while Stam came within a whisker of success at least a season ahead of schedule surely, given his budget and existing talent, this project should have a maximum term of 3 years.

Furthermore, having been blessed with a budget in excess of both Coppell and McDermott's in the Premiership years, I find the insistence of Stam's apologists for blaming the club for the lack of strike options, frankly, laughable.

If we could afford £7m for yet another winger in the form of Aluko, Nick Hammond would have found 2 or more front men for the same money or less. I would suggest (and believe you have alluded to much the same) that signing a striker came way down Japp's list of summer priorities and, as such, our lack of fire power can be firmly laid at his door and not RFC's.

Meanwhile, despite a rare clean on Saturday, our defense has been a shambles for most of the season, even though it's managed by one of the best defenders to grace the EPL.

So, IMHO, an impressive near miss last season, along with substantial summer outlay, has resulted in a talented squad that can't attack or defend to anything approaching the standard that one might reasonably expect.

Barring several near miracles, this season is a right off already. That I could live with but losing the likes of Moore, Swift, Kelly ,Richards etc I could not as it will set us back years. Those who think the likes of Hugill will come here just because we can pay better wages than Preston are living in cloud cuckoo land. A team hovering above the relegation zone will not attract the striker much of the fan base dreams about because they will get much better offers elswhere.

While I might view some signs of genuine progress as reason for a stay of execution, I see only Japp digging a very large hole that someone else will have to deal with and it won't come cheap.

User avatar
PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1371
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 07:38
Location: 1871

Re: In or Out?

by PistolPete » 02 Dec 2017 18:09

87 people wanted Stam out. 87 people cared nothing for a play off hangover, for all the strikers being injured and the board failing to bring in another during the window, for further key injuries to Evans, Obita, McCleary, Swift and others. They cared nothing that Al-Habsi, the player of the season was sold, or that Reading had overachieved last season.

So, how many of the 87 will hold their hands up and say they've changed their minds?

Or maybe they still think there are better managers out there available and in our price range?!

User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 15647
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: In or Out?

by leon » 02 Dec 2017 18:11

PistolPete wrote:87 people wanted Stam out. 87 people cared nothing for a play off hangover, for all the strikers being injured and the board failing to bring in another during the window, for further key injuries to Evans, Obita, McCleary, Swift and others. They cared nothing that Al-Habsi, the player of the season was sold, or that Reading had overachieved last season.

So, how many of the 87 will hold their hands up and say they've changed their minds?

Or maybe they still think there are better managers out there available and in our price range?!


What an odd post. How can you confidently say any of that?

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 16239
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: In or Out?

by genome » 02 Dec 2017 18:14

All I will say is, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Stam was rightly under pressure. He has improved massively since the Forest match.

Hound
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3034
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: In or Out?

by Hound » 02 Dec 2017 18:17

genome wrote:All I will say is, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Stam was rightly under pressure. He has improved massively since the Forest match.


Yeah this

Never wanted Stam out and said give him some time - but if we’d continued in the Boro at home style, he’d have to have gone really

I don’t doubt he wasnt more than a couple of games away from being moved on

windermereROYAL
Member
Posts: 675
Joined: 19 Feb 2008 12:18

Re: In or Out?

by windermereROYAL » 02 Dec 2017 18:19

3 unchanged line up in 3 games. 7 points. no more to be said really. nice to see he is listening. I`ve always been a IN man, but but the knee jerk shit pissed me off to be honest.

User avatar
Oilroyal
Member
Posts: 828
Joined: 22 Oct 2013 11:19

Re: In or Out?

by Oilroyal » 02 Dec 2017 18:21

genome wrote:All I will say is, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Stam was rightly under pressure. He has improved massively since the Forest match.



And he needed to offer improvement. Most on here (me included) said they would give him until December to sort his act out. TBF to Stam he’s humbled himself these past few weeks and RFC are better off for it and Stam’s a better manager for the experience. Long may his education in management continue.

403 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 32 guests

It is currently 11 Dec 2017 04:26