7%
Ian Royal
7%

Total votes: 239
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: In or Out?

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Dec 2017 17:56

I've long been in the out camp and I think the players are starting to feel that way too. Pretty much in agreement with an earlier poster.

First point is that Stam doesn't ever appreciate the support of the fans and then has the nerve to have a dig when we voice our displeasure. He's arrogant and I think he's bringing that into the dressing room. Bringing my point on arrogance, he either is so much so that he plays one up front and doesn't change the system when it's not working or his tactics are flawed. He's not likable in any way shape or form and I've met the guy.

Bar Barrow, all our signings have barely whelmed me this season. In my opinion, that system does not suit our players. Imposing a style of play when we don't have the players to do it is pointless and is costing us points. His focus should be on winning games and adapting our style to suit them and then gradually have his system in a few years.

In some cultures, your husband is chosen for you by your parents whether you feel comfortable and enjoy being with him or not. This style of play feels forced and the players just come across as flat when they're on the pitch. We just don't have the balance in midfield to play this style in my view. Our defenders are shaky and we struggle to break teams down.

If we lose the next 2, I can see there being Stam out chants during the Birmingham game.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Dec 2017 18:20

I think that Burton game has taken a lot of goodwill and enthusiasm away

We were on a good run before Ipswich and I think we would all accept a few defeats along the way to a mid table finish this year

However just how utterly flat and dismal that game was with it being 500th game etc has hit the enthusiasm very hard. Stam’s a lot to do to win that back now and I’m not really sure he is capable at this stage

I’d agree something doesn’t feel right this year. We’ve not won games through sheer will power like we did last year. Maybe it is Steven Reid, maybe Jaap’s ego who has run away with him, or maybe some of the signings are Affecting team spirit. We’ll never really know

I don’t think it’s a case of ‘we need x points from y games’ for me to want him to stay. It’s a bit more than that really. It’s getting some enthusiasm back about going, getting some entertainment and having the players look like they are enjoying it

Dubsw

by Dubsw » 26 Dec 2017 18:20

Time for him to go. This is a decent squad so let's get someone in who can get them playing instead of this rubbish.

Berry

by Berry » 26 Dec 2017 18:39

I think the whole thing needs restructuring, from BT down to Stam....It just doesn't work....Too many passes not enough creativity, 2 reasonable players in Barrow and Moore and the rest are liabilities.... Aluko is just awful, the whole saga needs ending

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Dec 2017 20:13

Berry Aluko is just awful,

Or simply a player not in his best position.

Berry

by Berry » 26 Dec 2017 20:21

Lower West

Agreed but I see nothing from him, I'm not being harsh or putting him down, but can anyone honestly say he is worth £3.5 Million?? You would expect something if he played in goal for instance but I just don't see anything from him

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Dec 2017 20:37

Berry
Lower West

Agreed but I see nothing from him, I'm not being harsh or putting him down, but can anyone honestly say he is worth £3.5 Million?? You would expect something if he played in goal for instance but I just don't see anything from him

We've hardly played him in his natural position have we? He looks better when he plays far forward. Remember Grabban? He's playing his old role

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 26 Dec 2017 20:40

The players are more than good enough. The system is shit. The tactics are shit. The direction is shit. A change is needed. We are not going to progress playing the way we are, it is just not right for our current position, and if Stam refuses to see this then he has to be the change.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Dec 2017 20:52

I’m not convinced the players are good enough tbh. If they were they wouldn’t keep make awful mistakes to concede goals or an inability to play simple passes or crosses

Last few games I’ve seen we’ve carried McShane, Kelly, Aluko and Yann, whilst I don’t think anyone bar Barrow, Moore and at a push Bacuna can be satisfied with their season

Stam is right to an extent - the players do have to take the responsibility to perform. Why there are not is obvs something he needs to look at

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Dec 2017 21:05

Hound Stam is right to an extent - the players do have to take the responsibility to perform. Why there are not is obvs something he needs to look at

Then perhaps to some extent the player recruitment has been poor. Popa, Blackett, Llori are little more bench warmers. Weiser and Meite failed to make the grade. Rakels was allowed to leave depite no replacement being sourced. Clement has yet to prove his worth.

Berry

by Berry » 26 Dec 2017 21:05

Hound I’m not convinced the players are good enough tbh. If they were they wouldn’t keep make awful mistakes to concede goals or an inability to play simple passes or crosses

Last few games I’ve seen we’ve carried McShane, Kelly, Aluko and Yann, whilst I don’t think anyone bar Barrow, Moore and at a push Bacuna can be satisfied with their season

Stam is right to an extent - the players do have to take the responsibility to perform. Why there are not is obvs something he needs to look at

But surely the majority of players are Stams choices, he must of had them looked at and profiled before buying them, or were excluding Moore and Barrow just a punt?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Dec 2017 21:51

Berry
Hound I’m not convinced the players are good enough tbh. If they were they wouldn’t keep make awful mistakes to concede goals or an inability to play simple passes or crosses

But surely the majority of players are Stams choices, he must of had them looked at and profiled before buying them, or were excluding Moore and Barrow just a punt?

Football has turned into a game of pot luck. Give a new Manager a big wad of readies. Buy new players. Hope it works out. Building a team long term is no longer a requirement. There's no patience from owners, fans or the media.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 26 Dec 2017 21:57

Don't worry folks. All is well. Some on here think we're going forward :roll:

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 27 Dec 2017 00:30

Lower West
Hound Stam is right to an extent - the players do have to take the responsibility to perform. Why there are not is obvs something he needs to look at

Then perhaps to some extent the player recruitment has been poor. Popa, Blackett, Llori are little more bench warmers. Weiser and Meite failed to make the grade. Rakels was allowed to leave depite no replacement being sourced. Clement has yet to prove his worth.

This would be Evidence A in the leave vote.

Everything from playing players in the wrong position to not keeping a consistent squad to the back four not being good enough to ropey substitutions all stems from the squad not being good enough. This isnt a case of money, this is a case of us not buying the players we need. I see getting a decent forward is going to take as long as it took to get a decent CB before we got McShane, and as long as it took to get a decent captain when we giving the armband to people like Gunter. We will however, turn over 5 c-list midfielders that we dont need every season. This needs to change, and Stam getting his mate in hasnt changed this.

Evidence B is that Stam simply thinks he's better than us. Even if that is true (and tbf it probably is) you dont repeatedly and publically demote your fans to mere money fodder. Both Pardew and McDermott have shown us in the past how to keep the fans onboard, and when you keep the fans onboard, the players are motivated to succeed. Stam is somehow weaker than Adkins at this. If you want decent 20K+ crowds (or even decent 16k+ crowds,tbh), tell me any good reason why anybody who saw the playoff final last year and follows Stam on radio/that rubbish on Channel 5 should come along and support him. Football is a product. And if it isnt a product, then its a community and social sport. It is none of these things atm and never has been under Stam

Out.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 27 Dec 2017 00:37

Saw someone asking of Reid's departure had an effect. He's recently ended up at Palace - things seem to be looking up for them :shock:

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 27 Dec 2017 01:01

maffff Saw someone asking of Reid's departure had an effect. He's recently ended up at Palace - things seem to be looking up for them :shock:

Personally I think not having Al-Habsi is a major factor. People seem to forget how many points he won us last season

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Dec 2017 01:52

TBM
maffff Saw someone asking of Reid's departure had an effect. He's recently ended up at Palace - things seem to be looking up for them :shock:

Personally I think not having Al-Habsi is a major factor. People seem to forget how many points he won us last season

Potentially but imho the biggest is an ineffective attack. It's easy to forget that we weren't actually great all that many times last season just we were pretty clinical and good at holding onto a lead. Without that level of finishing from kermorgant and whoever else we are more often than not going to struggle up front and invariably our hopeless defense (as a whole team) and combined with what you said about AAH will mean we concede after which we invariably lose.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Dec 2017 01:59

Lower West
Berry

Football has turned into a game of pot luck. Give a new Manager a big wad of readies. Buy new players. Hope it works out. Building a team long term is no longer a requirement. There's no patience from owners, fans or the media.

After a year and a half there is little evidence of improved performances. There is no consistency and no willingness to engage with the support. There is becoming an increasingly discontented fan base who feel a disconnect with the team and club.

The style of play will almost certainly never be successful in this league with the players we have, or will be able to have. It's too pedestrian. With a view point like this delaying a decision to replace is just wasting time rather than impatience.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Dec 2017 09:43

That style of play that got us within two kicks of the Prem with a bang average side on paper?

I think you’re being a little over dramatic. There’s obviously things that need changing and some stronger decisions made on players and tactics

However bar last year we have been shit for years now. We are in truth probably a mid table champ club. It’s not all Stam’s fault

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Dec 2017 09:53

Reid and Williams have been bigger losses than AAH IMO. Mannone was a good replacement, Saturday’s error aside.

504 posts