7%

Total votes: 239
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: In or Out?

by Hound » 30 Sep 2017 12:19

Muskrat
Hound
Muskrat I'd suggest it's because we didn’t actually do that well in most of those games. We played turgid boring anti-football, got our noses in front and hung for wins.

It's almost like you have an agenda against Stam which means you ignore the facts. But I'm sure that's not the case is it?

What, facts like we had 66% possession against Millwall, producing three shots on target and resulting in a 2-1 defeat? I don't think I'm the one ignoring the facts here...

And wtf has that got to do with last season?

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 30 Sep 2017 12:48

Hound
Muskrat
Hound
It's almost like you have an agenda against Stam which means you ignore the facts. But I'm sure that's not the case is it?

What, facts like we had 66% possession against Millwall, producing three shots on target and resulting in a 2-1 defeat? I don't think I'm the one ignoring the facts here...

And wtf has that got to do with last season?

Everything. We played this way last season, scraped single goal wins and got trounced numerous times. This season we've been completely found out with teams pressing us high up the pitch and the results aren't coming now. Which shows that we've learnt nothing and failed to evolve as team.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Sep 2017 13:15

CountryRoyal
genome 4 out of 46 is 8.7%.

Was including the two 3-0s as well.

That being said, baring in mind I'm not really a statistician, isn't even 8% a bit high for an anomaly?

I've not said anything about them being anomalies (Snowflake did), but I still don't think it's enough to say we didn't deserve 3rd.

Doyler

by Doyler » 30 Sep 2017 19:27

I cannot see how Stam can turn this around when his style of play is creating so few chances. I'd like to see Aitor Karanka replace him. His record at Middlesborough suggests he could get us playing with more attacking intent.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2017 19:36

CountryRoyal
genome 4 out of 46 is 8.7%.

Was including the two 3-0s as well.

That being said, baring in mind I'm not really a statistician, isn't even 8% a bit high for an anomaly?

Yes.

But if you dropped the two either end it would give us about and extra +6GD

Frankly, you could lose 7-0 fifteen times in a season and if you win twenty five 2-0 and draw the rest you're laughing

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Sep 2017 20:28

Muskrat I'd suggest it's because we didn’t actually do that well in most of those games. We played turgid boring anti-football, got our noses in front and hung for wins.

Not a total shocker, at least not to me. You see a lot of teams doing that, even teams that get promoted.

We even did it under Coppell...he had a few 1-0's hanging on, too. With our budget...relaative to other teams currently in the Champ...in a division that is really competitive...I'd imagine we are likely and realistically going to need to employ that tactic a fair bit in any promotion winning season...with most any manager.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Sep 2017 23:45

A highly questionable signing policy and even more questionable team selection - oh and barely what you'd call a plsn A let alone a plan B.

This next 4/6 weeks is going to make or break Jaap's time at the club

New poll question - in 6 games (Leeds, Sheff U, Forest, Middlesbrough. Derby, Wolves) time will Jaap still be Reading manager or will the Chinese owners have taken action?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Oct 2017 00:44

Sutekh A highly questionable signing policy and even more questionable team selection - oh and barely what you'd call a plsn A let alone a plan B.

New poll question - in 6 games (Leeds, Sheff U, Forest, Middlesbrough. Derby, Wolves) time will Jaap still be Reading manager or will the Chinese owners have taken action?

I guarantee Stam won't be sacked by the time we play Bolton.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Oct 2017 01:13

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh A highly questionable signing policy and even more questionable team selection - oh and barely what you'd call a plsn A let alone a plan B.

I guarantee Stam won't be sacked by the time we play Bolton.

Not sure you can guarantee anything

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 01 Oct 2017 05:26

I'm angry and want to rant

JS has been in charge for 1 year and 97 days. That is 1 year... and 3 months.

In his first year he defied ALL expectations, critics, fans by finishing 3rd. He AGAIN defied the odds by getting to the final and narrowly missed out on promotion.

In his second season he has had just 10 games.

Let me also remind some that people were jizzing themselves over some of our summer signings and all very happy and content. Also we were jizzing ourselves over the win against Birmingham and Aston Villa.

How times have changed - just 5/6 games later and people are suggesting sacking him? For what? Dull football... sh*t tactics... his attitude? Welcome to the Championship.

I am staggered by those who believe he should be sacked. I've asked some on Twitter... "ok, we sack him... what's the big plan now?"

The answer - "Get a new manager". I know how it goes as well:

*** New Manager... doesn't do very well but it's his first season and it's not his team he's inherited. It will be far better after the summer transfer window.

*** Transfer window - OMG this is amazing, I can not believe we bought XXX and YYY. I'm predicting a top 6 finish. "Joe Blogg's Barmy Army!!!"

*** 10 games in and 18th in the league... right one more game and he needs to go, this is appalling. Why did he sign XXX and YYY anyway? They're sh*t.

*** Manager Sacked

<repeat the above process>

I completely agree that the football is turgid and I wish I had stayed at home yesterday evening and nursed my man flu. Instead I traipsed through Whitley to watch uninspiring football. But really, do you want to be a club who continually just ships managers in... and ships managers out?

There are tons of clubs who would dream of having a manager like Jaap Stam, with connections, respect within the game, etc... and it's so early in my opinion to even consider him going. What happened to BUILDING a team? To actually spending a year or two developing the squad, working out tactics, finding our way?

I don't agree entirely with JS's tactics or choices at the time, but is that really a reason to throw our toys out the pram?

If you disagree, then once again I ask you, what is the grand plan? Who is your next promising manager (aka scapegoat) that is going to secure us promotion (or get sacked after 1 year and 3 months)?

Edit: oh and I also think sometimes we need to look at who we're playing. Norwich are no walkovers, unbeaten in 7, some good players and the general consensus from neutrals is that we didn't play badly, but we just didn't break Norwich down and they were ultimately better - but not much better.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 01 Oct 2017 06:28

I want Stam to succeed and if it were my decision, I'd give him the full season at least (unless we are in a serious relegation battle around Christmas/January).

Based on performances and his body language, I think he's in over his head right now. For the first time ever he's been given a sizable budget and was able to complete a squad largely made up of his own signings. Problem is, it's a big squad. Trying to keep all those players happy (that are expecting a fair amount of game time) is probably causing him problems. Team spirit seems low at the moment. His rigid possession based ideology isn't working without a striker up front, and he seems to be in denial about it. The frustrating thing is, I really do believe that strikerless could work in this team. It requires more movement and risk, our players need to be able to drag defenders out of position to create space. Unfortunately, the lack of movement from the midfielders and forwards this month is clearly indicating that it's Stam's instructions that are holding the likes of Aluko, Beerens, McCleary and co. back. Stam has every right to be confident about his philosophy after last season's success, but the football has not improved this month, if anything it has regressed. The Aston Villa win, which brought so much optimism, feels months away. (And on that note, where the hell is Popa?)

Sometimes I think that the knee jerk reaction of sacking him now would be best, because I want to be entertained, not walking away from games feeling as though we hadn't given it our all. But then I think about what happened last season... the man performed miracles. We finished third with an inexperienced, thin squad. We beat Fulham because of one of the best tactical performances I have ever seen by a Reading manager. He gave us one of the most electric nights in the history of the Mad Stad.

So no, I don't want to see him sacked any time soon. But ultimately this fast-paced world of football management will always follow the old Survivor principle: you must learn to adapt, or you'll be voted out. It is time to adapt.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 01 Oct 2017 06:42

Blimey good rant, bob, and you make some very valid points, mate. In fact, I kind of get the feeling that those above may well be thinking along the same lines too. Then again, it's a results based business and I can't help but feel that the P45 pigeon is currently sat on its perch precariously waiting for the next breeze to come along. I'm also thinking that Jaap is a proud man and if he gets a sense that the chiefs aren't happy, then he would be the one to make that decision anyway.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Oct 2017 07:11

alfie9 I want Stam to succeed and if it were my decision, I'd give him the full season at least (unless we are in a serious relegation battle around Christmas/January).

Based on performances and his body language, I think he's in over his head right now. For the first time ever he's been given a sizable budget and was able to complete a squad largely made up of his own signings. Problem is, it's a big squad. Trying to keep all those players happy (that are expecting a fair amount of game time) is probably causing him problems. Team spirit seems low at the moment. His rigid possession based ideology isn't working without a striker up front, and he seems to be in denial about it. The frustrating thing is, I really do believe that strikerless could work in this team. It requires more movement and risk, our players need to be able to drag defenders out of position to create space. Unfortunately, the lack of movement from the midfielders and forwards this month is clearly indicating that it's Stam's instructions that are holding the likes of Aluko, Beerens, McCleary and co. back. Stam has every right to be confident about his philosophy after last season's success, but the football has not improved this month, if anything it has regressed. The Aston Villa win, which brought so much optimism, feels months away. (And on that note, where the hell is Popa?)

Sometimes I think that the knee jerk reaction of sacking him now would be best, because I want to be entertained, not walking away from games feeling as though we hadn't given it our all. But then I think about what happened last season... the man performed miracles. We finished third with an inexperienced, thin squad. We beat Fulham because of one of the best tactical performances I have ever seen by a Reading manager. He gave us one of the most electric nights in the history of the Mad Stad.

So no, I don't want to see him sacked any time soon. But ultimately this fast-paced world of football management will always follow the old Survivor principle: you must learn to adapt, or you'll be voted out. It is time to adapt.

My thoughts exactly ^^^

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 01 Oct 2017 10:19

2 world wars, 1 world cup I voted out.
The truth is whilst I don't necessarily want him to go I'm so pissed off at the striker issue this is partly a protest vote.

The thing is though he's another opportunity in January ... and then next Summer.

Finish mid table, continue building and make right the striker situation.

Season 18/19 we finish top with 107 points. I'd be happy with that.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Oct 2017 10:22

bobby1413
The truth is whilst I don't necessarily want him to go I'm so pissed off at the striker issue this is partly a protest vote.

The thing is though he's another opportunity in January ... and then next Summer.

As would I but there has been little improvements on the pitch, in fact things have gone backwards. After this amount of time it's no guarantee that we will "continue to build".

I'd like to see some progression and tangible evidence that we're actually improving as a team and learning from our mistakes - and I'm not seeing that.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 01 Oct 2017 10:28

CountryRoyal
bobby1413

As would I but there has been little improvements on the pitch, in fact things have gone backwards. After this amount of time it's no guarantee that we will "continue to build".

I'd like to see some progression and tangible evidence that we're actually improving as a team and learning from our mistakes - and I'm not seeing that.

I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact that it's been a handful of games.

Palace sacked their manager after 4. We all rightly said how pathetic it was.

It's been 5 games without a league win. That's all... and two of those we drew including against Hull who put 6 past Birmingham yesterday.

It was 30 days ago that we beat Villa and everyone was delighted.

So he's had no time at all ... has he? Considering players get injured for 5+ games.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Oct 2017 10:36

Hound
alfie9 I want Stam to succeed and if it were my decision, I'd give him the full season at least (unless we are in a serious relegation battle around Christmas/January).

My thoughts exactly ^^^

Yeah great post. It's not working change it.

Conceding 2 sloppy goals (again) shows the team has started to not do the basics.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Oct 2017 11:01

I'd be much more sympathetic to him if he just makes the glaringly obvious change and plays Bodvarsson so we have a striker on the pitch. And I don't want to see him go anywhere.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Oct 2017 11:33

Still if the opinion he has messed up badly this season but not writing him off yet

Most disappointing for me is the treatment of a couple of players (Evans, Quinn, Clement and Popa esp). I'm not sure how you can keep giving players such as Beerens and McCleary (much as I like him) so much game time when those mentioned have achieved more this season

Likewise with Dadi. Has a great 15 against Hull, would surely be buzzing and full of confidence but then all the momentum goes by benching him again. Just a poor decision

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Oct 2017 12:07

In many ways Stam is doing the wrong thing in the right way with our forwards right now.

He's actually picked the same attacking line up three games in a row to give them a chance to develop an understanding and effectiveness.

The problem is its the wrong forward line and he keeps chopping and changing in midfield and defence.

Hopefully Barrow can have an impact now he's back. He's looked by far our most creative player. A front three of Barrow, Bodvarsson and Aluko should have pace, movement and creativity to burn. That in turn should help give the defence and midfield more options.

If he chooses 3 CBs I'd like to see Gunter dropped and McCleary at RWB... would leave us a bit light in midfield with only two to accomodate that though.

504 posts