7%
Ian Royal
7%

Total votes: 239
Vision
Hob Nob Addict

Re: In or Out?

by Vision » 27 Dec 2017 10:10

Chelsea/Royal Everyone knew how Burton were going to set up, except Stam apparently. They were there for the taking and he still insisted on 1 up top against what is basically a well organised League 1 side.

It's either arrogance or incompetence to fail to recognise what's going wrong within the game and to fail to fix it.

McShane thinks he is Maldini but he certainly is not. Moore will be off if he's got any sense and then we are into Blackett/ Ilori territory!

It's going to be a very long rest of the season....

I think the issue isn't that McShane thinks he's Maldini but that Stam is insisting he is.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 27 Dec 2017 11:03

For me it's out.

Based on current form we'll lose at Barnsley and if we end up in a relegation battle, I don't see Stam as the man to lead us out. Was he ever involved in a relegation fight in his playing career?

To be fair to him, the football was poor way before he joined us but I am not sure anymore that the players understand what he wants from them. They've had one or two games where they have clicked but I now believe it was more down to the opposition having a poor game e.g. Villa at home and Derby away,

I'll never moan about 4-4-2 again......

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Dec 2017 11:29

A few weeks ago the poll was comfortably showing “IN”.... the fact it is now marginally “OUT” suggests that the tide is turning quite significantly.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 27 Dec 2017 11:36

Royal Rother A few weeks ago the poll was comfortably showing “IN”.... the fact it is now marginally “OUT” suggests that the tide is turning quite significantly.

The Burton factor.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Dec 2017 12:14

Royal Rother A few weeks ago the poll was comfortably showing “IN”.... the fact it is now marginally “OUT” suggests that the tide is turning quite significantly.

A new poll would be interesting - a lot of those who voted IN at the time aren't able to change their votes on the poll

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 27 Dec 2017 12:26

Out camp for me for the main reason there is no consistency in progress. We win one game or put a decent performance in and we are then dreadful for multiple games after. Recruitment in the summer was poor which wasn't his fault, but despite that he has a group of players who should comfortably be in the conversation for a top 6 finish and we have more chance of being relegated even though that's not likely. We keep finding ways to lose, don't score any goals are are usually good to concede at least two a game and all that points towards the end being nigh. Barnsley (a), Birmingham, Hull (a) and Brentford the next 4. Absolute bare minimum of 7 to 8 points from that before the axe should be wielded.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Dec 2017 12:49

3 defeats in a row inc THAT game against Burton will do that

Win the next 3 and I suspect the tide would turn back again

Actually a little passed caring myself. Think Stam did a brilliant job last year and a pretty terrible one this

Some of the selection and signings this year have been very odd (3.5m for Ilori then barely playing him for example) and players who he improved last year (Kelly, McShane, Beerens etc) have clearly regressed dramatically

Whether ripping up all of what he has done and starting from scratch again would help a lot is debatable but agree changes, whether that is Stam, the players or the coaching staff need to be made

If we did make the change would absolutely not want to go for the old school Pulis type. Those lads at Lincoln would be worth looking at imo. The guy at Shrewsbury maybe. Wouldn’t mind trying to steal Dean Smith from Brentford. Don’t see a lot else that excites me
Last edited by Hound on 27 Dec 2017 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 Dec 2017 13:01

genome

A new poll would be interesting - a lot of those who voted IN at the time aren't able to change their votes on the poll
What do think this is? a brexit refy?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 27 Dec 2017 13:04

AthleticoSpizz What do think this is? a brexit refy?

I just want my club back. Fed up of all these players coming in, playing shit and keeping homegrown talent out of the team.

Maybe it would help if they changed the colour of our season tickets?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Dec 2017 13:09

bobby1413

I just want my club back. Fed up of all these players coming in, playing shit and keeping homegrown talent out of the team.

Who exactly is homegrown talent though? Richards (nabbed from Fulham’s academy)? Smith (from Man U)? Barrett?

Kelly is ‘homegrown’ and been terrible this year and had plenty of games.

It’s a bit of an idealistic statement, we don’t have homegrown youngsters who are yet good enough

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 27 Dec 2017 13:26

Hound
bobby1413

Who exactly is homegrown talent though? Richards (nabbed from Fulham’s academy)? Smith (from Man U)? Barrett?

Kelly is ‘homegrown’ and been terrible this year and had plenty of games.

It’s a bit of an idealistic statement, we don’t have homegrown youngsters who are yet good enough

Was a joke m8

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Dec 2017 13:32

Oh yeah, oops :D

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Dec 2017 14:03

AthleticoSpizz
genome

What do think this is? a brexit refy?

Oh no, no. This is far more serious than Brexit

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 Dec 2017 14:21

:lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Dec 2017 22:22

Look, I know we're all pissed off and fed up, reasonably so. But could we try to avoid putting our own thoughts on the players as a way of justifying the view that Stam should go.

You want him gone, fine. That's you're prerogative. But it's on you, for the performances on the pitch and results. Not what you think anyone else thinks or feels.

Hell, the players almost universally said they supported Clarke and were sorry to see him go. And he was at least as bad as now, worse even - with less redeeming history with us.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 27 Dec 2017 23:46

Snowflake Royal Look, I know we're all pissed off and fed up, reasonably so. But could we try to avoid putting our own thoughts on the players as a way of justifying the view that Stam should go.

You want him gone, fine. That's you're prerogative. But it's on you, for the performances on the pitch and results. Not what you think anyone else thinks or feels.

Hell, the players almost universally said they supported Clarke and were sorry to see him go. And he was at least as bad as now, worse even - with less redeeming history with us.

Do you think the football on offer is worth turning up to watch ?
Do you feel that it is a style that will bring folks back to the mad stad, because I drink with long time season ticket holders that are now choosing to stay in the pub and not bother getting on the bus up to the ground.
Am I missing something about this brand of football we are playing or am I one of the idiots in your words for wanting to see some fast paced attacking play.
Educate me here Ian, as I am really looking for a good reason to rock up to the next home game vs getting pissed in my local

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Dec 2017 09:03

72 bus
Snowflake Royal Look, I know we're all pissed off and fed up, reasonably so. But could we try to avoid putting our own thoughts on the players as a way of justifying the view that Stam should go.

Do you think the football on offer is worth turning up to watch ?
Do you feel that it is a style that will bring folks back to the mad stad, because I drink with long time season ticket holders that are now choosing to stay in the pub and not bother getting on the bus up to the ground.
Am I missing something about this brand of football we are playing or am I one of the idiots in your words for wanting to see some fast paced attacking play.
Educate me here Ian, as I am really looking for a good reason to rock up to the next home game vs getting pissed in my local

What's that got to do with what I said?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Dec 2017 19:58

72 bus Do you think the football on offer is worth turning up to watch ?

The product is overpriced. That's the issue. Been hyped to such a level. That disappointment is envitable. Majority of grounds lack any atmosphere now. Which simply speeds up the decline.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Dec 2017 20:08

Hmm maybe. Mind you £40 for 2 adults and 2 kids is pretty good value compared to similar activities and an afternoon out

Don’t care what people said about the style, I absolutely loved last season, as did the kids, right up to the PO semi with Fulham which was the tensest game I’ve seen

Basically it depends on if we are winning or not

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 28 Dec 2017 20:59

Last season was fantastic and expections for improvements were inevitable heading in to this season.

Annoyingly we haven't built on the success - but this is a 3 year plan. The local press have reported Stam won't be backed financially in the transfer window; which says to me, they are now writing this season off. Which makes sense gven our current league position.

The coaching staff will no doubt be spinning this to the owners as a season to build, then go for promotion next year or the year after.

I too think Stam should stay, you can't have a 3 year plan and just sack the manager when things are going badly, we aren't going to turn out world beating football consistently for 3 years without spending mega bucks.

Don't get me wrong, for the first time in my life I have dreaded turning up to some games this season as it really has been dire. But I'm not in agreement with the manager merry go round and I'm happy to view this as a season of building; and the owners prolly will too.

504 posts